Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia Surround, Triple monitor Setup, EDID not detected

OlivierJT
Explorer
Bonjour everyone.
(re-written post on April 27th)

I can't get the rift to be used as a clone of my primary display in game(and switched to OR res)
My usual desktop is at 5760x1200 but I can run games "full screen" using any resolution (1280x800 for example)
It's normal that I cannot clone the rift as my desktop is 5760x1200, but when I launch a game at 1280x800 there should be a way for the OR to detect and activate as a clone.

So Windows 7
Nvidia GTX 690.
320. Drivers

3 Monitors plugged via DVI
The rift on display port > Adapter >HDMI

So the rift is setup as an extension of my main display, it shows as a 4th monitor "extend desktop to this display"

When launching "OculusRoomTiny.exe"
Pop up as Oculus Sensor detected;HMD display EDID not detected
OR_EDID.png
If I press continue :
-the 3 screens main desktop switch to full screen (only the center display is on, as the resolution look like 1280x800)
That's what should happens but :
-nothing on the rift
-it's ON but show an empty desktop area (the extended area)

Surround via nvidia panels:
"span display with surround"
It say it won't use the rift. so I end up with 3+1(rift as extension)
This is absolutely normal for surround configuration
I add the rift later in Windows 7 panel configuration : Extend to this display (the OR)
GTX690_ORS.png

Right now the only way to have something on the rift is to drag a application window the best I can...

Another question : for "normal" 1 screen users, what do you do ?, set up the rift as a clone to your primary display ?

-------------------
I will update if I find anything new so other could use this a support data.
Update 1 : so from nvidia control panel : "activate all display"
It's a temporary solution as I lost the ability to surround in full screen and SLI (this is bad)

Update 2:
I had though it was the DP to HDMI adapter that avoid EDID, but no. (switched connection around etc...)
I tried connecting it via DVI direct also...
I thought it was resolution (I try feeding it with 1920x1200), no change.
Oculus in surround is still EDID "away" and as a desktop extension...

Update 3
I bought this
http://www.amazon.fr/0-2m-c%C3%A2ble-DVI-Splitter-Enti%C3%A8rement/dp/B004O2W8BE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...
And it doesn't work at all, I have some pink artifacts and all sort of c..p.
I have to find another solution...
------------------
Thanks for your replies
19 REPLIES 19

cybereality
Grand Champion
Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you right now. I will see if we can get a surround setup here in the office to test this. I believe there may be a 690 laying around here somewhere...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

lordvtp
Protege
I've had similar issues with my 2x590 setup...I used 3 to 4 monitors at all time aside form the rift.

I ended up buying a hdmi splitter for 25$ and using my 1080p display as focus display...

I then use Displayfusion software to enable multi-monitor taskbar so using the rift doesn't hurt general access to my primary display(30 incher).

Generally speaking using SLI/Surround and clone modes do not mix well!

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's a good point. You can split one of the displays (the primary) using 1920x1200 resolution.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

OlivierJT
Explorer
Thank you both for your replie(s), yeah about the splitter, I read a post where someone suggested that. So I ordered one, it was like 10usd (7euro) it will arrive in a few hours, so I will know.
Of course I will update my post.

Also Rajveer who posted about surround, PM me, and try to help me finding a solution. He use a SLI of 670.
But I couldn't fix it.

So we'll see tomorrow.

OlivierJT
Explorer
I bought this guy :
http://www.amazon.fr/0-2m-c%C3%A2ble-DVI-Splitter-Enti%C3%A8rement/dp/B004O2W8BE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

A cable dvi-d splitter.
It doesn't work
Pinkish artifacts, and all sort of cr.p.
I have to find another solution...

There is that :
http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-DVI-142DL-1X2-Dvi-Splitter/dp/B000HS3FXY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie...
(it support HDCP, not that I care...)
250 $

or this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IYFZA2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
No hdcp.
But 1/3 of the price... (who cares about hdcp anyway...)
80 $
I have to get the Gefen as this on is only 1900x1200 or 1920x108 (Mine is 1920x1200)

I wish someone had experience if any of those before buying it...
This is not going to be a good solution for a surround user... too expensive... a "software solution" is very important.
Any insight is welcome !!

Rajveer
Explorer
Before trying to clone a single display and throwing away $250 on something that might not work, if you've got a spare hard drive do a fresh install of Win7 on it and install the latest Nvidia drivers just to be sure that it isn't something wrong with your current software setup. If I can get the Rift to work as an accessory display to my triple monitor setup then it is definitely possible, and something else must be stopping it working for others. Or what you could try doing is setting up another HDMI monitor/TV as the accessory display to make sure it's all working properly.

Actually, which Nvidia drivers are you running? I'm using the latest 314.22s.

ianmacmillan
Explorer
Just wanna describe what I do, monitor-wise, and it's been working for me so far...

My system:

i7-3770 @ 3.4Ghz
GTX-680 with two LCDs and the Rift:

Monitor 1, set as primary, native resolution = 1920x1080.
Monitor 2, native resolution = 1920x1200, Monitor 1 extends onto it.
Rift, set to be a clone of Monitor 1 (the primary), which effectively sets its resolution to 1920x1080 (the Rift controller box down-samples to its native 1280x800).

I have all filtering and anti-aliasing forced off in GTX-680's global settings (well, I actually make profiles for individual demos, but the point is that all filtering and anti-aliasing is OFF). Also, vsync is forced on.

In the resolution selection box that shows up at the start of Unity demos, I choose 1920x1080 (the resolution of my primary monitor), which ensures that vsync remains on (if you choose the Rift's native resolution of 1280x800 at start-up, the discrepancy between the primary monitor and the Rift's resolution causes vsync to be forced off, which results in unsightly 'tearing' in the demo). With the 1920x1080 setting, the Rift control box does a beautiful job of down-sampling and (I presume) anti-aliasing the image for me...the image looks really good in the headset.

I realize I'm probably getting away with this technique because I have a pretty beefy system that's capable of rendering stereo at a high resolution, but regardless, it might be worth a shot for others. You only have to set it up once, then make sure to select your primary monitor's resolution at Unity start-up.

OlivierJT
Explorer
@ ianmacmillan
Yes that's exactly what I have been doing also for the past few days. (but with 3 monitors. 4 actually but it's off)
I am used to run 3+1 (surround +1)
But it's not a solution for me. ^_^

I lost the ability to Surround.
I cannot run application without stuttering when moving a window to another display.
I cannot launch games using the 3 screens
I lost performance overall (I have a good margin sure, but it's a waste)

My desktop is 1+1+1 and I need to have 1 but the size of 3.

So I have ordered the Gefen display splitter as the cable solution was not working.
It's an expensive solution (compared and the price of the rift) as it's around 300$ (taxes, customs and shipping to France)

It's not a solution for everyone, but I hope it's a temporary one as losing the ability to surround is not good at all.
Surround peoples are power user anyway, but still...

A software solution would be better (launching apps full screen would switch the surround displayS to 1280x800 and enabling at the same time the OR)
Maybe it's just a firmware update on the OR box : accepting 5760x1200 and 5760x1080 and cropping it to center to 1 display res. I don't know (of course i don't)
It's going to take time to fix I guess at it may involve Oculus AND Nvidia/AMD and Microsoft...

I have to be able to use my workstation as it's full potential, so the Gefen box will work for me. I don't have time to wait for a fix. ^_^
(and the DVI-DL-switch-box is a good investment also for other purpose !)

To Oculus : If you want me to beta test some firmware or anything on that matter : please do, I am used to beta testing and I have been assembling PC's for +15 years.
I'll be glad to help the community that way too.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You may want to try the steps from this post:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=69&p=2259#p2259