New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

The Official TV Thread

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,327 Power Poster
Just thought I'd start a thread where we can all share what we've all been watching.

I'm just finishing the fifth and final series of The Gentle Touch starring the lovely Jill Gascoigne as DI Maggie Forbes. It's a programme from the 80s and is excellent.

Next up for me is the second series of Monkey, known as Monkey Magic in the States I think. If you haven't seen it then you HAVE to check it out. It's a Japanese programme from the 80s that tells the legend of Monkey, Piggsy, Sandy and Tripitaka who travel through Asia to pick up the Buddhist Sacred Scrolls. Some may be familiar of the legend from the video game Enslaved: Odyssey Of The West.

I love rewatching stuff from the 70s and 80s regularly, they don't make telly like that any more which is a real shame. All we seem to see these days is mostly reality TV bollocks with the odd gem hidden here and there. :(

So what are you guys and girls watching?
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,243 Power Poster
    Just here waiting for 2019 Game of Thrones...
    :'(
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 1,974
    Project 2501
    snowdog said:
    Just thought I'd start a thread where we can all share what we've all been watching.

I'm just finishing the fifth and final series of The Gentle Touch starring the lovely Jill Gascoigne as DI Maggie Forbes. It's a programme from the 80s and is excellent.

Next up for me is the second series of Monkey, known as Monkey Magic in the States I think. If you haven't seen it then you HAVE to check it out. It's a Japanese programme from the 80s that tells the legend of Monkey, Piggsy, Sandy and Tripitaka who travel through Asia to pick up the Buddhist Sacred Scrolls. Some may be familiar of the legend from the video game Enslaved: Odyssey Of The West.

I love rewatching stuff from the 70s and 80s regularly, they don't make telly like that any more which is a real shame. All we seem to see these days is mostly reality TV bollocks with the odd gem hidden here and there. :(

So what are you guys and girls watching?
    It's rare that I watch TV these days for entertainment. But speaking of 70's and 80's I watch The Sweeney whenever I have time, and The Professionals. Both faves of mine when I was a teenager. I even watch some of The Bill - but more often than not end up switching it off.

I only watch those when they are on at meal times, but I do enjoy them, and I think you are right - modern series are pretty crap. I enjoyed the first two series of The Walking Dead, but then I felt it went downhill and the last two or three series were utter shite.

Between those 'eras' I liked Rome - which I have the DVD set of now and watch every few months, and tomorrow I watch the last of Band of Brothers, which I also have the box set of. Back to the 70's and I have the last series of the Secret Army. Nowadays it looks pretty dire, but back in the days it was considered the mutts nuts. We also watched the first two series of Starsky and Hutch recently (cos the Mrs fancied Hutch in her youth....) but again, after that it got silly.

For someone who doesn't watch TV that sounds like quite a lot - but it's all spread out, like :)

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,523 Valuable Player
    edited September 3
    The Gentle Touch, The Sweeney and The Professionals.  Flamin heck!

And for a few laughs i bet the posters on this thread like a little Duty Free, Never the Twain and a bit of Home to Roost?

:D 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,327 Power Poster

And for a few laughs i bet the posters on this thread like a little Duty Free, Never the Twain and a bit of Home to Roost?

Awesome programmes they were! Only When I Laugh and The Good Life were also fantastic.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited September 3
    snowdog said:

Awesome programmes they were! Only When I Laugh and The Good Life were also fantastic.

Yep, so many great TV shows in the late 70s early 80s.  Big Deal was a gem, and then i'm trying to think of one with a blond guy (think he was also a singer) who had a girlfriend that he ditched at the altar then bumps into her again years later???  I'll find it eventually.

**Just Good Friends***
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,385
    Project 2501
    I prefer cartoons and older ( a.k.a GOOD ) tv shows.  Todays tv shows are garbage IMHO.....except for a couple good ones.

Supergirl
    The Flash
    Last Man Standing
    That's pretty much all that interests me on Netflix.

As for cartoons/anime I watch the following....and the anime MUST BE IN ENGLISH DUB....no silly jap girly voices for me.

YuGiOh ( all of them )
    Digimon ( all series )
    Dragonball ( all series )

As for anything else I watch Bluray/DVD sets that I have purchased from stores.

Babylon 5 series
    Star Trek Series ( everything except the original....too cheesy....AND NO DISCOVERY!  UGH!!!! )
    Home Improvement
    ALF
    Mutant X
    Smallville
    Lois and Clark: The Adventures of Superman ( excellent series )

and the list goes on and on.
    Babylon 5 was awesome, loved that programme! That's another one that I rewatch every few years.

As far as the superhero series goes I love the ones mentioned above plus Arrow, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Daredevil, with Daredevil being my favourite.

I do have a big issue with Supergirl though tbh. Not only is the wimpy and white Jimmy Olsen now black but he's also 8 feet tall, built like a brick shithouse and is now a superhero himself. Ridiculous. They've COMPLETELY changed the original character in every way possible. I'm surprised they haven't gone to whole hog and made him transgender too for the sake of political correctness lol

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,999 Volunteer Moderator
    The Bodyguard BBC1 and no not the movie. Plus I'm just getting into Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    I rarely like new TV shows these days, anything good gets cancelled too quickly, my favs in no particular order

Stargate SG1
    Startrek TNG, DS9, Voyager
    Stranger Things
    Supernatural
    Fringe
    Person of Interest
    the OA
    Jessica Jones
    Westworld
    Almost Human - (got cancelled after 1 season for being too expensive, but was ace)
    The Black List
    Futurama 

Watching the new JJ Abrams / Stephen King show Castle Rock at the moment, it's rather good!

@snowdog it's a fictional character, not a historical figure, there have been so many versions of all the characters in all the universes and ages, I don't see a problem with the characters evolving.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Well I guess I'm just a tradionalist when it comes to comic book characters, and I get particularly annoyed when these characters 'evolve' only because of political correctness.

Project 2501
    edited September 3

**Just Good Friends***
    I fancied her something chronic back then! Since then I saw her in an interview (about the difference between Secret Army and Allo Allo) and she came over as a real snooty snotty totty. No thanks!

Really liked the show, though - Paul Nicolas was great.

Techy111 said:
    The Bodyguard BBC1 and no not the movie. Plus I'm just getting into Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime :)

...And I I I will always love... yooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    Brixmis said:

**Just Good Friends***
    I fancied her something chronic back then! Since then I saw her in an interview (about the difference between Secret Army and Allo Allo) and she came over as a real snooty snotty totty. No thanks!

Really liked the show, though - Paul Nicolas was great.

Oh yes!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,243 Power Poster
    edited September 3
    Right now I am binging season 2 of Ozark. I'm also a huge fan of Shameless.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,636 Volunteer Moderator

The Professionals was great. I have the 4 season dvd box set.
    I love the intro theme.
    For those who don't know, it was a 70's show about an ex cop and an ex paratrooper put together as a task force to deal with crimes beyond the ability of the regular police (terrorism, military stuff, etc).
    It was rather controversial at the time for it's violent themes.

If you want an awesome scifi series from england that still holds up now (it's from 1970, but was set in the future of 1980) is UFO. Imagine Men In Black, but set in england and made by Gerry Anderson (creator of Thunderbirds). Such an great series.

Project 2501
    I rarely like new TV shows these days, anything good gets cancelled too quickly, my favs in no particular order

Stargate SG1
    Startrek TNG, DS9, Voyager
    Stranger Things
    Supernatural
    Fringe
    Person of Interest
    the OA
    Jessica Jones
    Westworld
    Almost Human - (got cancelled after 1 season for being too expensive, but was ace)
    The Black List
    Futurama 

Watching the new JJ Abrams / Stephen King show Castle Rock at the moment, it's rather good!

@snowdog it's a fictional character, not a historical figure, there have been so many versions of all the characters in all the universes and ages, I don't see a problem with the characters evolving.
    Cripes I can’t believe that I forgot those. Yes I own the entire Futurama and all of the Stargate series...except Universe. Didn’t like that one. 
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,999 Volunteer Moderator
    I got all the X-Files series on DVD and the movies, still unopened lol I'll get to them one day ;) Surprised nobody has mentioned Blake's 7.......loved that show!!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
    Blake's Seven was amazing, and the Liberator was built with a hair dryer if I'm remembering correctly. Loved that series.

Project 2501
    I was looking through my DVD's and came across some sci-fi show called Andromeda.  Two seasons yet to be opened.  Guess I forgot about them....may open them up to see what that's all about.  It has Kevin Sorbo on it so it should be decent at least.
    edited September 4
    Techy111 said:
    I got all the X-Files series on DVD and the movies, still unopened lol I'll get to them one day ;) Surprised nobody has mentioned Blake's 7.......loved that show!!!
    Wow, Blake's 7 - i was very young when that was on, or just didn't watch it too much.  One of the main women from it has just died unfortunately.

Sticking with space then, who watched Terrahawks?  Was that shown in the US?

I'll go with the end credits - that's what everybody remembers   :)

snowdog said:
    Well I guess I'm just a tradionalist when it comes to comic book characters, and I get particularly annoyed when these characters 'evolve' only because of political correctness.
    Adam West Batman is best Batman!

Has anybody ever seen the 1991 chinese tv series Noble Conflict? I used to watch it every week on SBS.

For recent shows, my favourite has to be Happy. So damn good.

kojack said:
    snowdog said:
    Adam West Batman is best Batman!

Is he right?

He's not wrong!
    Haven't heard of Noble Conflict, it didn't make it over here in the UK I don't think. I might have to check that out.

Along with Monkey, The Water Margin was another one of my favourites. More violent than Monkey, but Mary Whitehouse hated them both lol

Space 1999 was another one of my favourites, I have them all on my hard drive and rewatch them every few years.

Project 2501
    edited September 4
    Ooh Blakes 7 - Glynis Barber = yum!

snowdog said:
    Space 1999 was another one of my favourites, I have them all on my hard drive and rewatch them every few years.
    We could do a whole thread just about the awesomeness of Gerry Anderson. :)

Space 1999

Thunderbirds

Captain Scarlet

UFO

Stingray

Joe 90

Terrahawks

Lavender Castle

Space Precinct

Another favourite of mine was The Invaders. So fucking good. A lot of these awesome programmes seemed to be on Monday to Friday at 6pm on BBC 2. Was my favourite time of the week.

Another great one was The Adventure Game with The Vortex at the end.

Kids these days are missing out on a shitload of great television.

snowdog said:
    Another favourite of mine was The Invaders. So fucking good. A lot of these awesome programmes seemed to be on Monday to Friday at 6pm on BBC 2. Was my favourite time of the week.

Another great one was The Adventure Game with The Vortex at the end.

Kids these days are missing out on a shitload of great television.

Oh my god The Adventure Game - loved that!  Just gone to look for a clip - never realised Moira Stewart was part of it.

Project 2501
    edited September 4
    Okay - favourite kiddie series were Timeslip, The Flashing Blade (my brother was a bigger fan than I was) and The Desert Crusader.

That was a French series, dubbed with English. We used to sit on the carpet, singing the theme as it started. I remember once we had a babysitter/childminder round and I was too embarassed to go "dit dit dit di-di-dit-dah...." and got a lot of stick from my bruv! :D

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    Brixmis said:
    Okay - favourite kiddie series were Timeslip, The Flashing Blade (my brother was a bigger fan than I was) and The Desert Crusader.

That was a French series, dubbed with English. We used to sit on the carpet, singing the theme as it started. I remember once we had a babysitter/childminder round and I was too embarassed to go "dit dit dit di-di-dit-dah...." and got a lot of stick from my bruv! :D

A superb french cartoon of my youth was Once upon a time .. Life

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)