New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official TV Thread

Comments

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,110 Valuable Player
    edited February 26
    Totally agree, feels like Orville is turning into Grey's Anatomy. Starting to take itself a bit too seriously. 

Discovery has gone a little flat for me. Loved the first series.
    The story line bringing back the transformed Klingon to the same ship he completely betrayed and killed somebody on. I mean come on. Then bringing back the doctor he killed because love transferred him into a different dimension. For gods sake. 

I think the writers have been smoking a little too much pot.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited February 26
    @snowdog - I preferred this bird. Rod always had a knack of totally embarrassing people leaving them speechless. You'll need to watch it all to appreciate the embarrassment Parky must have felt.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,035 Valuable Player
    Yup, I used to love Rod Hull and Emu when I was a kid, particularly the rubbish bins in a sketch on his show where Rod Hull was Doctor Who and the rubbish bins were like Daleks, it was hilarious lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

:D  :D :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,035 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Bollocks, I can't get that fucking song out of my head now  :D :D :D
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_HFm54lb04
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,435 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    I really enjoyed The Punisher. S1 was better than S2, but both were still good.

You've got some really good taste!  B)

Image result for gif animated high five

I'm married, I don't get out much, I have other reasons to enjoy The Punisher :blush:

- and to some degree - she's 21  o:)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Epona0000Epona0000 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    I have quite a few favorite series'

Ones I repeatedly watch (sometimes to the chagrin of my better half)
     * Buffy The Vampire Slayer
     * Babylon 5 (but just the first 4 seasons)
     * The New Adventures of Old Christine (some episodes of this just make me LOL)

Current favorites (watching):
    The Magicians
    A Discovery of Witches
    Bojack Horseman
    Game of Thrones
    The Umbrella Academy
    The OA
    Westworld
    Future Man
    American Gods
    Better Call Saul
    The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Other Favs:
    Doctor Who (David Tennant/Catherine Tate - I just want a mate... you want to mate?? you're not mating with ME Sunshine!)
    Sherlock
    The Good Place
    Elementary
    Breaking Bad
    Dexter
    Shaun the Sheep!

Sh..oot.. i think i watch too much tv.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,035 Valuable Player
    Epona0000 said:

The Magicians
    A Discovery of Witches
    Bojack Horseman
    Game of Thrones
    The Umbrella Academy
    The OA
    Westworld
    Future Man
    American Gods
    Better Call Saul

Other Favs:
    Doctor Who (David Tennant/Catherine Tate - I just want a mate... you want to mate?? you're not mating with ME Sunshine!)
    Sherlock
    The Good Place
    Elementary
    Breaking Bad
    Dexter
    Shaun the Sheep!

Why not Babylon 5 season 5?  It’s quite great. 
    Brain Burst
    Digikid1 said:
    Epona0000 said:

The Magicians
    A Discovery of Witches
    Bojack Horseman
    Game of Thrones
    The Umbrella Academy
    The OA
    Westworld
    Future Man
    American Gods
    Better Call Saul

Other Favs:
    Sherlock
    The Good Place
    Elementary
    Breaking Bad
    Dexter
    Shaun the Sheep!

We felt it just petered out after the 4th season (to us).. the buildup and then subsequent wrapup of the shadow war, it didn't seem to have as much interest.. still, the remaining storylines had good episodes intermittently.

I LOVED Babylon 5, I rewatch it every few years. Farscape and Lexx too.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,530 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 26
    Farscape would have been better if they just kicked Rigel out an airlock.
    Bringing Ben and Claudia to Stargate helped break that show out of the rut it had been in. Actually, just add Claudia to every show, she's awesome.

Cool, Netflix emailed to say season 3 of Van Helsing is available. I liked that show. Kind of a more serious Buffy.
    I tried to watch Wynnona Earp but I couldn't get into it.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,066 Valuable Player
    Epona0000 said:
    Digikid1 said:
    We felt it just petered out after the 4th season (to us).. the buildup and then subsequent wrapup of the shadow war, it didn't seem to have as much interest.. still, the remaining storylines had good episodes intermittently.

The problem was they didnt think they were going to get a 5th series, so they wrapped it up as best they could in series 4, then on the 11th hr they got the series 5.... so some of the stuff which would have been expanded on in S5 had been rushed to be resolved in S4.   It is not a bad series imo but is noticably not as well put together as the rest.

it is a shame the spin off "Crusade" never got more traction. I thought it had real potential.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Not too sure what's going on with my telly. I've connected it to my PC and it doesn't look too great. On a white background (like these forums for example) the black text has kind of a white outline around it. It looks terrible. Anyone got any ideas? I've tried it at 1080p, 1080i and 4K native but it looks the same. :(

Problem solved, just had to adjust the brightness and contrast settings and it looks much better now. Still not quite right but I'll have a fiddle about once I have the patience. Am quite pleased with this telly, the only downside is that the plug lead isn't that long but it's no big deal.

The thing is fucking HUUUUGE!!!

That's a full size tower case to the right and two stacks of A4 printer paper under the right hand side of the stand.

Yes, I have it sitting half on a crappy table and half on a crappy PC stand and I had to use stacks of A4 printer paper to level things of but it does the job :blush: :D

I probably should have taken the picture whilst I was watching something in HD or UHD but I'm in the middle of watching an old tv Rip of a programme in the late 80s called The Paradise Club starring Don Henderson and Leslie Grantham so the quality of the resolution and video quality is piss poor.

I love watching crime and cop shows from the 70s and 80s, the money from blags is ridiculous lol. An armoured car job full of takings in those days was worth a maximum of 100,000 smackeroonies and even half that could buy you a house in those days. These days that's a pittance lol

edited February 27
    lol that has to be the worse TV setup I have ever seen in my life. i makes me feel much better about my wall mounted one being on the wonk a little bit. it makes mine look positively level. it is leaning so bad even the van is pitching to the left :p

Enjoy your new telly :)

PS i gotta ask.... why not put the ream of paper under the left side support as that is the one which needs it?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    It's actually straight, just doesn't look like it in the photo lol

That's why I had to use the printer paper, to level it all out.

Snowdog, don't take it personally - obviously Big Mike is simply jealous of your amazing skills as a home decorator. Next time he goes on vacation, maybe some of his friends or family can help you get access to his home, so you can help him improve his standards - I'm sure it'll be a great surprise for Mike!  o:)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Have taken a spirit level to it now and the right hand side needs to come up by another mm or so but it's close enough lol

Have now tried the Roku stick thingy. Just set up Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, the latter works fine but the former just displays a black screen with the Netflix logo on it. Fuck knows what's going on there.

Have taken a spirit level to it now and the right hand side needs to come up by another mm or so but it's close enough lol

Have now tried the Roku stick thingy. Just set up Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, the latter works fine but the former just displays a black screen with the Netflix logo on it. Fuck knows what's going on there.

Oops, bloody phone lol

You're now part of an important experiment, Netflix 2k vs. 4k - can you see the difference?  B)
    Depending on the processor(s) taking care of the 2k to 4k upscaling, you may see quite a bit of difference. I think Netflix 4k requires a 25 Mbit connection or better though. Or get a 4k UHD player  o:)

I can't do bugger all with Netflix at the moment. All I get is a black screen and the red Netflix logo. I might leave it there for 5 minutes and see if it does something lol

Don't you have to pay extra for 4K Netflix though?

snowdog said:
    I can't do bugger all with Netflix at the moment. All I get is a black screen and the red Netflix logo. I might leave it there for 5 minutes and see if it does something lol

Don't you have to pay extra for 4K Netflix though?
    Yes, about $5 extra per month. I dropped it because then I was forced to have HDR activated in supported shows - or I didn't see how to deactivate HDR :blush: Using Netflix 4k through the Sony ubp-x800 or 1000es 4k player it should be possible to deactivate HDR in Netflix. I'm thinking about getting one if I get too impatient waiting for the PS5... But strange that you can't watch Netflix, you could try to call them. And give them my regards - I'm the dude constantly complaining about black Netflix screen in the Rift  :D

Well it's no big deal Netflix not working because I usually watch Netflix either with my PC browser or my Wii U controller at night whilst I'm waiting for my pills to knock me out lol :D

The UK TV channels, particularly what used to be the terrestrial channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5), are offering their own streaming service called BritBox. It's a set top box with a monthly subscription that offers programmes and series from the UK. They've been doing the same thing in the States for a while apparently and have recently made the decision to do the same thing over here.

People that are stupid enough to pay for a TB Licence have been going into one about it, but being stupid enough to buy a TV Licence means they're also stupid enough not to realise that you won't need a TV Licence to own and subscribe to one of these because they don't offer live streaming.

I won't be getting one myself because I'm already paying for both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video so that's more than enough subscriptions for my liking.

edited February 28
    RuneSR2 said:
    Snowdog, don't take it personally - obviously Big Mike is simply jealous of your amazing skills as a home decorator. Next time he goes on vacation, maybe some of his friends or family can help you get access to his home, so you can help him improve his standards - I'm sure it'll be a great surprise for Mike!  o:)
    Dont get me wrong, i am a professional bodger myself, i was not judging, just leg pulling

to prove my point.... (excuse the sensor position, i moved my arcade and forgot to replace sensors)

the telly slopes to the right (my dad - a retired builder - was disgusted at the job i made mounting the TV
    and the arcade slopes to the left (which to be fair is not my fault the builder (not my dad!) did an awful job at levelling the floor)

btw back on topic i have just 1 more episode to go on "Fortitude". It is a strange one, am at the end of series 3 and I still have not decided if it is any good or not. It has its moments, for sure, and I like the twists and turns it takes regarding character development, but it is proper weird.   I am not 100% convinced the person who wrote it - esp series 2 - is completely sane!.

I needed to watch something to fill the hole until Stranger Things series 3 launches.
    edited February 28

I have no idea what to watch when I'm through Punisher Season 2 :|

Has anyone been watching True Detective Season 3 - is it good? Compared to Season 1, Season 3 has gotten much lower ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/episodes?season=3&ref_=tt_eps_sn_3

Brain Burst
    RuneSR2 said:

I have no idea what to watch when I'm through Punisher Season 2 :|

Has anyone been watching True Detective Season 3 - is it good? Compared to Season 1, Season 3 has gotten much lower ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/episodes?season=3&ref_=tt_eps_sn_3

We liked it -- it wasn't as good as Season 1 by far.  The ending was.. well it wasn't a good ending, but it was an ending.