The Official TV Thread - Page 6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official TV Thread

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,400 Valuable Player
    I've just started watching the first series of Van Helsing and am quite happy with it so far. I love wampire related stuff, Buffy and Angel in particular are awesome. I rewatch those two programmes every few years.

Makes you wonder what @vannagirl would be like as a wampire...she could have a nibble on me any time she wants lol B) :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • alangrinalangrin Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Finished season 2 of The Punisher, brilliant better than season 1, loved it. But seemingly it's cancelled as well.
    Yup, Netflix haven't had their licence for Marvel IP renewed by Disney. There's talk of Disney starting their own Netflix-style streaming so they'll still probably get made and released some time in the future hopefully.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,001 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    I've just started watching the first series of Van Helsing and am quite happy with it so far. I love wampire related stuff, Buffy and Angel in particular are awesome. I rewatch those two programmes every few years.

Makes you wonder what @vannagirl would be like as a wampire...she could have a nibble on me any time she wants lol B) :D

Hmmm, maybe I should try watching a few episodes, although I'm more a fan of the Count  :D BTW, a few days ago just more or less lost #10, but 9K  :# And some time ago I considered 6K expensive, sigh:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/history.asp?item=1302185&back=/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH%2EASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dtomb%2Bof%2Bdracula%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1302185&id=1302185&itemType=0

Why do so many care about Blade? - Just leave my #10 alone  :D - Or I'll be a poor man, with my wallet totally drained by vampires, before I can count to 10! It's taken years just to count to 6... sigh... 

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=2546

After seeing the Van Helsing trailer, I'm pretty sure I have watched a few episodes some years ago - I'll give it another shot after the Punisher Season 2  o:)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    I had trouble getting into the first episode for some reason, I tried watching it a couple of times and stopped partway through but once you get past the first episode it's excellent.

snowdog said:
    I had trouble getting into the first episode for some reason, I tried watching it a couple of times and stopped partway through but once you get past the first episode it's excellent.

Thanks - makes sense - I might jump directly to season 2! - The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure I tried watching season 1 but gave up.

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

I've just started re-watching Andromeda on Amazon Prime Video. Makes me imagine that @vannagirl is either a leather clad ship AI or is purple with a sexy tail lol :D <3 :D

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,672 Valuable Player
    I loved both Punisher S1 and S2. Very sad that the entire Netflix Marvel franchise has been cancelled. GAAAHH
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Finished Punisher S2 last night, it was awesome and I liked it more than S1. I guess we can thank Disney+ for the Netflix Marvel franchise cancellations as described here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/11/30/the-real-reasons-netflix-is-cancelling-their-marvel-shows/#6e179ee8196c

My main problem with the Punisher - if any - is that it feels too disconnected from the rest of the Marvel universe - but I do understand that getting some important dudes to participate in the show may not be financially possible - and Sony still has the rights to Spidey: 

(No, it's not my book, unfortunately)

Thus while Netflix made some magic with Punisher S2 it would require a much bigger budget to make a Punisher movie or show that truly would represent the original books. To be fair, a lot of Punisher books don't include Spidey and other high-ranking Marvel characters - but those books aren't the ones I like the most ;)

Maybe it's time to get back to Daredevil Season 3... And I still haven't finished Better Call Saul Season 4 yet... 

I think The Punisher would be better if it had the Marlowe-esque voiceover from Frank Castle that the comics had where he's reading or writing his War Journal. There's something missing without it imo.

Am now watching series 2 of The Expanse. So glad that Amazon have rescued it from the dead. I watched the first series when it first came out but that was ages ago so I watched it all from the beginning again.

There have been so many great programmes that SyFy have killed off. It's borderline criminal imo. Ascension was another one that was amazing that they decided to kill off.

I should send them a turd in a box at some point, that'll teach them!!!

Just finished watching Manhunt: Unabomber, which was kinda great, at least better than the Ted Bundy tapes (where they left out tons of info making Bundy look way too nice). The Jinx may still be my favorite (within the genre of documentaries about serial killers).

I love watching real crime documentary and drama series, particularly involving cults and serial killers.

I keep on thinking about either starting my own cult (loads of money and sex on tap!) or becoming a serial killer (If I kill enough people then people will remember my name FOREVER and start making films and TV series about me!!!) but I haven't got around to it yet.

The problem with the latter is that my brain is so superior compared to everyone else's that I won't end up getting caught so I won't end up being famous.

Everyone in this thread needs to start watching Love Death and Robots on Netflix. OMG

I describe it as, "This is like Black Mirror meets Heavy Metal (the classic 1981 film). Absolutely brilliant!"

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,839 Valuable Player
    I’m starting up Smallville again. Brilliant show!!!!
    I'll probably switch to Love Death + Robots soon, but one of my colleagues had also watched the Ted Bundy Tapes and the Unabomber, and she recommended Dirty John. Did see the first 4 episodes last night, kinda boring, not much happening - so the last 4 episodes need to be truly awesome... 

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,690 Valuable Player
    edited March 23
    Zenbane said:

Everyone in this thread needs to start watching Love Death and Robots on Netflix. OMG

I describe it as, "This is like Black Mirror meets Heavy Metal (the classic 1981 film). Absolutely brilliant!"

One of the best things about that series:

There's an episode titled "Beyond the Aquila Rift", and I strongly suspect that title is no coincidence.  I won't dare spoil it, but watch and you'll see why.

Oh, bit of warning:  Some episodes contain very graphic violence, graphic nudity / sex, and harsh subject matter.   They're all completely different and unrelated from each other though (besides some loose recurring themes), and some are far "safer" than others. (2 and 4, for instance)

Edit:  Okay apparently "episode numbers" are meaningless for this show, because Netflix presents them in randomized order for each viewer???   Because that's not completely insane and confusing at all.

Also I've now finished the entire series and holy shit most of these were awesome.  "Blindspot" was my fuckin' JAM and I want it to be a whole thing as much as I do "Suits".   Secret War was also pretty rad.  I may have cried a little at the end of Lucky Thirteen.  (over an inanimate object, no less). 
    Merry Riftmas, everybody!
    edited March 21
    RuneSR2 said:
    I'll probably switch to Love Death + Robots soon, but one of my colleagues had also watched the Ted Bundy Tapes and the Unabomber, and she recommended Dirty John. Did see the first 4 episodes last night, kinda boring, not much happening - so the last 4 episodes need to be truly awesome... 

And don't watch Dirty John - or if you insist, I'd recommend skipping episodes 3 to 6, maybe even skipping 2 to 7 - there're 8 episodes. Quite boring show and way too long, could have been made into a nice 90 min Netflix-movie though.  

CrashFu said:

There's an episode titled "Beyond the Aquila Rift", and I strongly suspect that title is no coincidence.  I won't dare spoil it, but watch and you'll see why.

Loved the Aquila Rift episode. As well as the episode titled, Shape-Shifters. Amazing stuff in this series.
  • Epona0000Epona0000 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    snowdog said:
    Am now watching series 2 of The Expanse. So glad that Amazon have rescued it from the dead. I watched the first series when it first came out but that was ages ago so I watched it all from the beginning again.

There have been so many great programmes that SyFy have killed off. It's borderline criminal imo. Ascension was another one that was amazing that they decided to kill off.

I should send them a turd in a box at some point, that'll teach them!!!
    There have been a few SyFy (SciFi) shows that have been actually pretty good.. which is always surprising to me.  The Expanse got better in season 2, imho.  And The Magicians is one of our favorites. But then.. the last SyFy show that I thought was good was Stargate.

Don't send them one of your turds.. send one of Drax'.. his are famously large, or so I hear.
  • VaneianuVaneianu Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I watch now Castle series. before it I watched Bones
    “Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.” - Mark Twain
    if you need some help with college homework and you are tired to write it by yourself, don't hesitate to check writingcheap 
    Vaneianu said:
    I watch now Castle series. before it I watched Bones

Welcome to the forums!

I loved both of those series. B)

I've just started watching Bosch on Amazon Prime Video. Pretty good so far. Serial killers are awesome, I'm gonna be one when I grow up lol

CrashFu said:
    Zenbane said:

One of the best things about that series:

Oh, bit of warning:  Some episodes contain very graphic violence, graphic nudity / sex, and harsh subject matter.   They're all completely different and unrelated from each other though (besides some loose recurring themes), and some are far "safer" than others. (2 and 4, for instance)

Edit:  Okay apparently "episode numbers" are meaningless for this show, because Netflix presents them in randomized order for each viewer???   Because that's not completely insane and confusing at all.

Also I've now finished the entire series and holy shit most of these were awesome.  "Blindspot" was my fuckin' JAM and I want it to be a whole thing as much as I do "Suits".   Secret War was also pretty rad.  I may have cried a little at the end of Lucky Thirteen.  (over an inanimate object, no less). 

Came here to write that yesterday I saw something extraordinarily mind-disturbing, namely Beyond the Aquila Rift <3  - simply awesome. And now I can see you already mentioned that episode  :D

Suits was awesome too - and Three Robots. Still need to see 5-6 episodes, but according to IMBD Aquily Rift is the best, so I won't put hope for anything better ;)

This is the best show I've seen in years, if ever. It's beautiful-horrible-sexy, everything the title promised  B)

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,690 Valuable Player
    Having now seen ALL of LD+R,  I also have to give a shout-out to the episode titled BLINDSPOT.  I'd describe it as either "An extended intro cutscene for an old playstation 2 era game that never existed"  or "Like if someone asked Asaph Fipke to make a CGI cartoon for (immature) adults."
    Merry Riftmas, everybody!
    And I have it on great authority that the woman in Aquila Rift was 100% modelled to perfectly resemble our very own @vannagirl...

...which means we've ALL seen her lady bumps  <3  :D

• Epona0000Epona0000 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    I liked the werewolf episode the best.. then the one with the talking cats.
    edited April 13
    Have been discussing this show in another thread - maybe better to show the trailer in this thread. I'm getting ready for episode 5 tomorrow (season 1 has 8 episodes). At first the show did seem to have a very limited budget (staying out of the city center, some episodes with few actors involved), but after some episodes I think the producers have managed just fine. It's 6.6 on IMDB, maybe it's not for everyone, but I'm enjoying it right now:

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,839 Valuable Player
    This is a scene from the latest episode of the Orville. Hilarious choice of music for a battle but totally appropriate for the episode. I was laughing my arse off. 

https://vimeo.com/330185143
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,165 Volunteer Moderator
    That does work well. :)

Also used for fight music in Deadpool 2: