New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

2 Things going on here that need fixing! And considering returning my oculus rift if there is no fix

Kuroyuki28Kuroyuki28 Posts: 10
NerveGear
edited September 5 in Support
So the first and simplest of the 2 is that I am having a goddam hard time trying to get all 4 of my sensors working. I have all the bells and whistles needed for 4 sensors to work, I got a dedicated card, with 4 USB controllers on it, and I still have a hell of a time getting the software to read 3 of the dang sensors, let alone 2. I get a poor tracking quality warning on 2 of them, no clue why, and it seems to change from time to time which sensors it is, but it is always 2 of them, rarely just 1 of them. Then, recently, when I go into VR, my guardian sensor net gets all messed up! I think it is because the number of sensors changed and it was trying to make up for it. Completely turned around the boundary I set up, almost ran into a wall because of it. When I went to reset the boundary it was only reading 2 of my senors, despite there being 4 of the detected. What the heck am I doing wrong, or does the oculus software just absolutely suck, and there is no way to fix it? I can't play a dang thing like this, so if I can't get a fix to this, I am contemplating returning the entire setup!

The second problem is a weird one, definitely software related. Somehow, something in beatsaber messes with something in the OVRServer_x64.exe 651191-public SC:67872015225 process, causing all sound to stop playing, even crashing my volume mixer, the one that is on every windows machine. Maybe related to sound drivers. It doesn't always happen after the same amount of time, but anywhere from 3 minutes to 15 minutes all sounds in the VR headset will crash, basically. The reason I know it is related to OVRServer_x64.exe 651191-public SC:67872015225 is because if you quit beatsaber, kill that process, let it restart, your sound will be back.

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,843 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 5
    Problem 1
    Running 4 sensors on one controller requires a LOT of power and unfortunately 90% cannot handle the load, I found out the hard way where my USB chipset would just reboot loop itself, you need to spread the load, some on your motherboard and some on you expansion card, or get an active externally powered USB hub to power one/two of the sensors on.

4 sensors are still experimental in my view, 3 sensors in a L configuration work 100% optimally at the moment with a tiny volume occlusion area, which is not noticeable. (FYI I had 4 sensors initially, and through a lot of tweaking and testing, found 3 to be optimal)

Problem 2
    I have beatsaber too and have not experienced an issue you are having, therefore it is something to do with your system config, rather than OSVR + Beatsaber software incompatibility

In this case, listing your system spec would be helpful. 

P.S all sensors need to see the HMD when you open up Oculus home (direct line of view) and be within 9 feet of it for the Bluetooth sync to occur. (the HMD communicates wirelessly with the sensors)

Are you using any extension cables? These can add extra resistance to the power being fed, meaning putting extra strain on the system, active cables that are under 5 meters (16f) are recommended)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Kuroyuki28Kuroyuki28 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Sorry for my late reply, I have been busy lately. When you refer to 1 controller, do you mean the usb card? It should have 4 USB controllers, and is getting power from the PCI and a cord leading directly to the PSU, so it should be properly powered. I would use 3 sensors, but when I try to set it up it doesn't seem to want to work when I have the sensors in the 3 corners of my room, not to mention it makes the 4th sensor feel like such a wast of money, to buy it and not use it. I did put one on the motherboard, and I can get it to recognize all sensors that way, but I still get the error on at least 1 of the sensors, sometimes 2. I do use 16ft extension cords on 2 of my sensors, but I think 1 of the errors happened on the sensor that didn't have an extension cord.

As for problem 2, I am running windows 10, a GTX 1080, intel I7 4th or 5th generation, I can't think of any other specs you would need to know. As for the incompatibility thing, maybe that isn't the problem, but it is a place to start, as whatever is causing it gets reset when that process is restarted.
    USB card is 1 controller with 4 ports, your motherboard is also plugged into power, that doesn't matter, there is a power draw limit on the controller, it could be hooked up directly to a nuclear power plant, it would not matter.

When you say 3 sensor setup doesn't work, what do you mean?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

I have mine setup like this, works perfectly fine.

Oculus 114 Update Adds 3-Sensor Guided Setup Touch Gamepad Mode

The 16 ft cables are both ACTVE right? 

Start set up with just 2 sensors, both sensors plugged into motherboard + headset.

If that works, add on a sensor to your USB card, perform full setup with 3 sensors in L shape as above, it might ask you tp place the back sensors in a str8 line from one of the front facing ones and to face it inward at 45 degrees. like an L.

If everything works, add on the 4th sensor if you have to to the USB card, 

NerveGear
    edited September 12
    When I say the thing has 4 controllers, I mean it has a controller dedicated to each of the 4 ports on the card, meaning as long as each sensor doesn't take more power than a USB is capable of providing, it should be capable of powering 4 sensors without problem. In other words, I have all the hardware and power necessary to run 4 sensors, and the headset.

In regards to the extension cables, I don't know if they are ACTVE. I bought USB3.0 16ft extension cables. They say GT5.0 on them, as well as superspeed.

As for the sensor setup, what I meant was that I would need to place one of my sensors a foot into the wall in order to make it happy. Not that I can get into that screen atm. For some reason it won't see the touch remote, and is constantly saying 'looking for touch controller'.
    edited September 12
    When I say the thing has 4 controllers, I mean it has a controller dedicated to each of the 4 ports on the card, meaning as long as each sensor doesn't take more power than a USB is capable of providing, it should be capable of powering 4 sensors without problem. In other words, I have all the hardware and power necessary to run 4 sensors, and the headset.

In regards to the extension cables, I don't know if they are ACTVE. I bought USB3.0 16ft extension cables. They say GT5.0 on them, as well as superspeed.

As for the sensor setup, what I meant was that I would need to place one of my sensors a foot into the wall in order to make it happy. Not that I can get into that screen atm. For some reason it won't see the touch remote, and is constantly saying 'looking for touch controller'.
    Not sure I follow, you have a controller per USB port? what is the model and make of the card? 
    What is the make of your USB cables when you ordered them, it should say on your receipt.

Can you take a screenshot during sensor setup and post it here, this isn't very hard. ]

Also, have you followed my troubleshooting instructions?

NerveGear
    I tried, but I still got the issue with the remote, which works fine in games btw. Here is a pic of where I get stuck:

Seems that the screenshot got the rift in it too? Anyways, the lower left picture is my main screen. For some reason it won't see my remote. as for what card I am using it is this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAFVF75G3342

The USB extension cords I got online, I think they were https://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice-USB-3-0-Extender-SuperSpeed/dp/B00GS8GHQO
    NerveGear

Sorry, this should be better for the pic. It is like this no matter where I am in the room. Games work fine, and see the remote, but setup doesn't. Replaced batteries several times, and tried different remotes. None of them worked on this screen.
    edited September 15
    I tried, but I still got the issue with the remote, which works fine in games btw. Here is a pic of where I get stuck:

Seems that the screenshot got the rift in it too? Anyways, the lower left picture is my main screen. For some reason it won't see my remote. as for what card I am using it is this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAFVF75G3342

The USB extension cords I got online, I think they were https://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice-USB-3-0-Extender-SuperSpeed/dp/B00GS8GHQO

The controller has to be seen by ALL sensors during setup (specifically the ring), hold it just above your head in the view of all 3 sensors, you body cannot occlude any one sensor.

NerveGear
    I DID. In every part of the room, in every pose imaginable, I did. It didn't see it. I have the sensors at 8ft, I am 6 ft. They all point towards the center of the room, I was at the center of the room, with the sensor above my head, there is nothing physically blocking the sensors from seeing the remote.
    edited September 15
    I DID. In every part of the room, in every pose imaginable, I did. It didn't see it. I have the sensors at 8ft, I am 6 ft. They all point towards the center of the room, I was at the center of the room, with the sensor above my head, there is nothing physically blocking the sensors from seeing the remote.

Did you try the other one? Maybe put in a fresh set of batteries in there?

NerveGear

Did you try the other one? Maybe put in a fresh set of batteries in there?
    I did. I even have 2 sets of remotes. None of them worked.
  • kickassretardkickassretard Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    There are two versions of the startech card, one has four ports and 2 controllers and one has 4 ports and 4 controllers. The one you linked to has 2 controllers. It should work fine for 4 sensors, I'm just pointing out that there are two models.

The USB extensions on the other hand are passive cables. When you add the length of the sensor cables to the length of the extension cables you are exceding the max length for a reliable USB 3 connection. You need cables with built-in USB repeaters, also known as active USB cables.
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    My first step would be to remove all of the extension cable completely, then try a 2 sensor setup for a quick test, if ok try 3 if ok then the 4th sensor.

• Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 271
    Nexus 6
    geebee666 said:
    My first step would be to remove all of the extension cable completely, then try a 2 sensor setup for a quick test, if ok try 3 if ok then the 4th sensor.

Precisely.  OP, take a systematic approach and try to get each sensor to work without any extension cables.  Try 1 sensor at a time then start adding sensors.  Then if it works begin by adding 1 extension cable at a time.

This will isolate exactly what is causing the issue.
    NerveGear
    I believe I have said that one of the sensors I am referring to, is one without an extension cable. So that isn't the issue. I have set it up with these errors before, but it suddenly stopped seeing the remote at that part in the setup.