New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

The Official Films Thread

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,341 Power Poster
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    Hey, I don't mind the off topic threads, but could we perhaps combine TV and Movies into one?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,341 Power Poster
    I thought it would be best to have them separate because they're entirely separate things. :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

snowdog said:
    I thought it would be best to have them separate because they're entirely separate things. :D
    Well, they are entertainment :) ... The Off-topic category was meant to be for things still within the realm of technology, I don't mind these threads but it starts getting messy if there is a large number of active ones. 

Ill tell you what, let's keep it for now but let's try and limit them in the future, or merge/rename existing ones thanks!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Okay, no probs  :D

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,388
    Project 2501
    For me a movie HAS to have humor in order to be acceptable.  I absolutely hate musicals/dance movies. That said I watch comedies and science fiction and cartoon movies. 

Currently bought ( I do not AND WILL NOT support pirated media ) Deadpool 2, Black Panther on 4K Bluray. I also grabbed The Police Academy Collection for $19.99cdn on iTunes.  Now that’s comedy gold right there. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,644 Volunteer Moderator
    Deadpool 2 was great.
    I haven't seen Black Panther yet (or infinity war). My interest in the MCU is at the level where I wait for them to come on Foxtel (cable tv in australia), I don't feel like spending money just for them. Except Iron Man 2 and the two Guardians Of The Galaxy movies, which I bought on bluray. I did see Thor 3 just the other week (on Foxtel), that was way better than the last two. Korg is the best character in the whole MCU!

Ok, some lesser known ones I really enjoy:
    Hard Revenge Milly and Hard Revenge Milly Bloody Battle
    These are a pair of japanese action/gore movies along the lines of Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police. Milly's family was murdered by a gang of criminals who butchered her and elft her for dead. But a doctor found her and saved her. Now she's hunting them down. "Hard Revenge" is appropriate here, there's tons of blood, dismemberment and brutal violence.
    Apart from one scene in the first movie, they are played fairly seriously, unlike the Machine Girl type gore films that have a lot of comedy. The special effects are rather low budget and fake, but I'm fine with that.

Aachi & Ssipak
    Korean animated movie set in a future where human excrement is the main energy source. If you crap in a government toilet, it rewards you with a drug filled ice block (or popsicle / ice pop for other countries).
    The action scenes, especially the ones involving the cyborg cop, are insanely awesome.
    Offensive and ugly, but so damn good.
    (Apparently the english edit that came out years later is garbage, bad dubbing, added jokes and cut scenes. Get the original Korean sub)

Rec & Rec 2
    Zombie movies set in an apartment building. Rec is the original spanish version, there's an american remake called Quarantine which is pretty good too, I saw that one first. Quarantine 2 isn't a remake of Rec 2, just to make it more confusing.
    The Rec movies are the only shaky-cam found footage type movies I've ever seen where it makes sense that during a zombie attack someone uses a camera. I hate that in most of these movies, DROP THE F***ING CAMERA! But in Rec, it's about a reporter and her camera man stuck in the building. The cameraman films everything, since that's his job. Then they need the camera's light and night vision later, so he still needs to hold it up.
    In Rec 2, it's still found footage style shaky-cam, but this time it's helmet mounted cameras on the police sent in to secure the building, which makes even more sense. Rec 3 got stupid though. 1&2 were the best.

Dead Snow and Dead Snow 2
    If you are a little bored of zombie movies, or ever feel bad about zombies being killed because they are just normal people that got infected (maybe there's a cure?), the Dead Snow series gives you intelligent nazi zombies!
    In Dead Snow 1, a group of friends are staying in a cabin in the snow, and accidentally awaken a squad of Nazi zombies.
    In Dead Snow 2, the fight between the Nazi zombies and one of the survivors of the first movie continues. This one has a lot more comedy, but is also just insane. I love it!
    The dialog scenes in Dead Snow 2 were filmed in both english and norwegian.

Blimey, haven't heard of any of those! I'm gonna check them out once I've finished my Movies With A Twist collections.

• SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 576
    Neo
    @kojack The Deadpool series is fantastic!

My favourite movies in no particular order:

Beetlejuice
    The Last Waltz
    The Shining
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Southland Tales
    The Box
    Donnie Darko
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Green Mile
    Alien
    The Thing
    Insidious series
    Poltergeist (original)
    The Terminator series

Had to stop the list - it is getting way to long. I love movies - possibly more than video games, but less than music.

I have watched a few lately - mostly indie films, that have been fantastic. Can't think of the titles off the top of my head because I watch to many movies - but when I remember them I will put them in a list and post them when I have the time.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

for me, in no particular order

The Green Mile
    Terminator 2
    The Never Ending Story
    Labyrinth
    What Dreams May Come
    Inception
    Interstellar
    Pretty Woman
    Myst
    A Monster Calls
    The impossible
    Jurassic Park 1
    Deadpool 1/2
    X-Men (1 and 2)
    The Thing (original)
    The Bird Cage
    Original Star Wars
    Titanic
    The Abyss
    Die Hard
    The Fifth Element
    Brazil
    Leon
    Reservoir Dogs

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,007 Volunteer Moderator
    Airplane 1 and 2.......the jokes never get old and don't call me shirley !!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
    Oh and StarTrek First Contact gets an honourable mention, it was the best of the bunch. Diana Troi drunk was hilarious .. 

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,264 Power Poster
    edited September 8
    So many to name from various eras, but I will start with my "top" list, in no particular order:
    1. Conan the Barbarian (original)
    2. Blade Runner
    3. Fight Club
    4. Meet Joe Black
    5. The Wanderers
    6. The Outsiders
    7. 300
    8. John Wick
    9. Troy
    10. Snatch
    11. Sin City
    12. Waiting
    13. The Cable Guy
    14. Requiem for a Dream
    15. Avengers: Infinity War
    16. Pulp Fiction
    17. The Godfather 1 &2
    18. Scarface
    19. Lord of the Rings trilogy
    20. Day of the Dead (original)

Several of my favorite movies have Brad Pitt as the star. I may have a man-crush.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Brad Pitt is awesome, I love all of his films, one of my favourite actors. I also really like Nicholas Cage too.

Anything Denzel Washington 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    You know what I actually enjoyed Constantine, I know it got a lot of flack, but it was pretty great, had potential.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,044 Valuable Player
    edited September 10
    Schindler's list
    The Shining
    One flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    The Deer Hunter
    Platoon
    Alien
    The Pianist
    Resident Evil

Just a few, I can't think of anymore atm..

He Never Died

Sadly all of the trailers (besides the little preview above) have too many spoilers. Don't watch them before the movie.
    Very cool movie. The google summary: "A social outcast, battling depression and severe anti-social behaviour, embarks on a bloody quest to save his long-lost daughter from a crime syndicate."
    It's not just a revenge film, there's elements of supernatural horror too.
    I'm a big Henry Rollins fan, so this movie was a must see for me.

Death Race 2050

I love stupid over the top schlocky violent films. This fits the bill perfectly. :)
    It's a remake of the original Death Race 2000. Forget the Jason Statham Death Race films, this is how a Death Race should be.

Of course now that I've mentioned races, I have to post the absolute greatest movie of all time...
    Redline

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,128 Power Poster
    Deadpool 2 was awesome, I just got to see it recently when the Blu-ray came out.

A few of my favourites that are less often mentioned are Children of Men (Alfonso Cauron’s prior film to Gravity, amazing movie) and District 9.

Also Zoolander, I can rewatch that one endlessly. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 576
    Neo
    Zoolander has so many good scenes.

You know what I actually enjoyed Constantine, I know it got a lot of flack, but it was pretty great, had potential.
    It was a good movie, I only watched it when it came out - it is hard to hate anything Keanu does, except 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies... mind you I haven't watched the Matrix trilogy in like nearly 20 years. I wonder how well it holds up today. Both John Wick movies are favourites for me.
    RedRizla said:
    The Shining

I know Stephen King hates it, but I think as a standalone movie it is just so well done - it has such an atmosphere of dread throughout with so much imagery laced into each scene with the music accentuating the way the camera moves and the meticulous decoration of the Overlook. The performances are perfect for the story it is trying to tell - even if that story is not as all encompassing as the novel is, and works on the surface as much more of a standard horror story.

I am a huge fan of Stephen King's book (well, he is my favourite author - I never tire of his books) - but his miniseries adaptation was so cheesy, actually so much of Stephen Kings movies are just terrible adaptations.

The best faithful adaptations are the Frank Darabont movies (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and The Mist) of which only The Mist is a horror movie.

I like when some liberties are taken with Stephen Kings books - The Shining may have gone too far for him, but the new It movie takes almost as much liberty and works much better for it.

That said, when to much liberty is taken you get what is arguably the worst Stephen King movie, The Dark Tower which was such a let down - even the little nods to the universe throughout just made it harder to stomach. There is so much that they cut out of the story - and then this whole thing of it being canonical to the books, kind of like the final chapter... yeah I'll never accept that.

/rant over LOL

Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

RedRizla said:
    The Shining

I know Stephen King hates it, but I think as a standalone movie it is just so well done - it has such an atmosphere of dread throughout with so much imagery laced into each scene with the music accentuating the way the camera moves and the meticulous decoration of the Overlook. The performances are perfect for the story it is trying to tell - even if that story is not as all encompassing as the novel is, and works on the surface as much more of a standard horror story.
    Great movie.
    But watching it makes me a bit uncomfortable now that I know about the crap Shelley was put through by Kubrick.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 901
    3Jane
    edited September 10
    Zenbane said:
    So many to name from various eras, but I will start with my "top" list, in no particular order:
    1. Conan the Barbarian (original)
    2. Blade Runner
    3. Fight Club
    4. Meet Joe Black
    5. The Wanderers
    6. The Outsiders
    7. 300
    8. John Wick
    9. Troy
    10. Snatch
    11. Sin City
    12. Waiting
    13. The Cable Guy
    14. Requiem for a Dream
    15. Avengers: Infinity War
    16. Pulp Fiction
    17. The Godfather 1 &2
    18. Scarface
    19. Lord of the Rings trilogy
    20. Day of the Dead (original)

Several of my favorite movies have Brad Pitt as the star. I may have a man-crush.

Interesting to meet another Conan fan - Arnold wasn't bad, I grew up reading the comics and still hope they will one day make the ultimate Conan movie - I'm still working on my Savage Sword of Conan collection :-) 

Making a list of favorite movies isn't easy - here're some of my suggestions - in prioritized order ;-)

Alien(s)
    2001: A space Odyssey 
    The Deer Hunter
    Gladiator
    Planet of the Apes (original).
    No Country for Old Men

Original Star Wars trilogy
    Der Untergang (must be in German - yes do get ready to read some subtitles - it's not that hard ;-)

The Shining
    Godfather 1-2
    Her

The Exorcist
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
    Pulp Fiction
    Jaws
    The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
    There Will be Blood

Mad Max Fury Road - must be in 3D
    The Thing (original)
    The Dark Knight
    Ghost in the shell - original

Guardians of the Galaxy
    Gravity - must be in 3D
    The Hateful Eight

Dredd - must be in 3D

Platoon 
    Blade Runner
    Apocalypto

Predator
    Barry Lyndon

Lord of the Rings trilogy
    The Matrix trilogy

Honorable mention could be 30 Days of Night... Couldn't find the red band trailer in nice quality on YouTube:

https://www.traileraddict.com/30-days-night/red-band-trailer

It's a great idea with this thread to inspire and share experiences - I've already spotted several movies I'd like to watch!
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    My approximate all time top movie list (maybe, it's hard to remember them all) in no particular order:
    - The Thing
    - They Live
    - Big Trouble In Little China
    - Ninja Scroll
    - Redline
    - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    - Phantasm 2
    - The Raid
    - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension
    - Robocop
    - Evil Dead 2
    - Army Of Darkness
    - Starship Troopers
    - Dune
    - Brazil
    - Top Secret
    - Who Killed Captain Alex

I won't put videos of them all here, instead I'll just post one: Buckaroo Banzai.
    Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd and Clancy Brown star in a movie about a rock star, brain surgeon, scientist, action hero (Peter Weller) and his gang fighting an invasion of Red Lectroids from the 8th dimension.
    Great 80's scifi.

Ok, one more.
    Top Secret
    One of the best spoof movies

Buckeroo Bansai was an awesome film. Brilliant!

OMG I forgot about Big Trouble In Little China

SUCH A GOOD MOVIE!!!

@kojack yeah, plus King had a huge issue with the female character being just a screaming weak mess, she was meant to be strong and unafraid. The Shining was written during Kings darker times, he was suffering from alcoholism and very bad dreams. He dreamt once that he strangled his kids with a fire hose. (At the Stanley Hotel room 217) the book was almost autobiographical and King felt the movie went in the wrong direction. He also hated that Nicolson was cast.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,044 Valuable Player
    edited September 10
    Some More I've enjoyed..

Sicario
    Predestination
    The Descent
    I am legend           
    Pitch Black
    Riddick
    Apocalypse Now
    Full Metal Jacket
    28 Days Later

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,264 Power Poster
    Big Trouble in Little China is definitely a legend!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    The Great Escape
    Bridge on the River Kwai 
    Dambusters
    633 Squadron 
    The Sound Barrier
    The Right Stuff
    All Airport films but 75 my fav
    Battle of Britain
    Bat 21 (awesome movie)
    And the old Pink Panther movies
    Techy111 said:
    The Great Escape
    Bridge on the River Kwai 
    Dambusters
    633 Squadron 
    The Sound Barrier
    The Right Stuff
    All Airport films but 75 my fav
    Battle of Britain
    Bat 21 (awesome movie)
    And the old Pink Panther movies

Don't mention the War!!!  :D :D :D

• Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 484
    Trinity
    meh u bunch of bloody pussies ! . Debbie does Dallas top the sodding lot !... 15 episodes ...and she still hasn't got there yet ! that girls got some stamina !!!!