New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Films Thread

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,554 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    Saw the film Us and what a pile of crap that was. I was really looking forward to seeing this it has got some good reviews. I won't be choosing Rotten Tomato's anymore for reviews if this is what they consider a good film. 

@RuneSR2 - I will be watching Pet Cematary at some point so let us know what you think if you decide to buy it.

"Us" has some nice reviews, thanks for the heads up, I always though the trailer didn't look that interesting. Pet Sematary isn't out on 4K blu-ray before August (19th I think), so I still have some time to read reviews. 

Just pre-ordered this, but it's mostly for the kids:

Shazam

Did see Shazam this weekend. Quite annoying but it seems that the Sony X800 4K player has some freezing problems that only can be resolved by cutting the power and restarting (frequently described in online forums that I should have checked earlier) - and of course that happened in Shazam and I had to listen to the wife mentioning that 4K is worthless, doesn't work and blu-ray looks just as good. Super-Sigh... But I beg to differ - HDR was really nice in this movie, and 4K did boost image clarity significantly - even if this movie isn't real 4K, but up-scaled to 4K. Sound (Dolby Atmos or just uncompressed surround sound) was really good too. It's a funny movie, not to be taken too seriously - it's a family movie, I wouldn't have bought it just for myself, the sons (ages 11 and 15) really liked the movie.

Next up Alita Battle Angel - hope it doesn't freeze... ;) Also just found Underworld Blood Wars in the bargain bin, and I have a weakness for vampires, and that movie actually is true 4K. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,469 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2019
    RuneSR2 said:

it's a family movie, I wouldn't have bought it just for myself, the sons (ages 11 and 15) really liked the movie.

Hehe, I bought it for myself. :)

I haven't had time yet to watch Bad Black. I got the dvd recently (after a long wait, I think a lot of people wanted it, and it's burned onto writable dvds manually in Uganda, so takes a while to ship).

edited August 2019
    kojack said:

RuneSR2 said:
    Just pre-ordered this one - trailer looks awesome, IMDB 7.5, $170 mill budget, written by James Cameron:

It was pretty cool. I was a fan of the anime movie and the manga, the live action one got things pretty close.

For people who have seen it, one difference is:
    In the movie, Ido named Alita after his dead daughter and the first body he used was intended for his daughter. In the manga, Ido named Alita after his dead cat and the first body was just a spare he had lying around.

Also, the manga and anime are WAY more violent than the movie.

I greatly enjoyed the movie, although it did feel like some kind of Spielberg-ish take on Blade Runner. Also most will probably not experience any kind of cognitive overload watching the movie, like Avatar is very black vs. white, but maybe the sequel will have some more surprises, like Infinity War this is only 50% (or less?) of the story. 
    Even though this isn't true 4K (ok, can't find that confirmed, but the detail did look like Revenant or other true 4K movies), it's probably the best looking 4K hdr movie I've seen on the Sony 85" - colors, hdr and animation really make the movie come to life. Sound was really awesome (Dolby Atmos), all in all I was positively surprised, I'll probably rate it 8/10 (for those downloading the movie in hd to watch it on for example a tablet or phone, I'd probably be down to 6/10, sound + res + colors etc. mean a lot for this experience). I have not seen the manga or anime. 

BTW, seems like some dude at Forbes like the hdr and colors too:

The use of 4K Blu-ray’s HDR and wide color technologies is some of the best I’ve ever seen. Not so much in terms of how aggressive it is; in fact, I’ve seen both color and, especially, baseline and highlight brightness cranked up much more on other 4K Blu-ray titles. However, precious few other 4K Blu-ray pictures have used HDR and wide color to create so much extra atmosphere and raw beauty compared with the HD Blu-ray’s SDR version.

The contrast range is gorgeously expanded, for instance. Deeper blacks and richer, more solid shadowing gives night-time scenes and dark interiors a much more dramatic and three-dimensional feel. Everything just looks more real. And in this film more than most, that matters.

At the other end of the spectrum, the extra brightness range in the 4K Blu-ray makes daytime scenes look more natural, while the enhanced light peaks make the robots and metallic body parts look more realistic and tangible. 

The impact of this, together with the extra color subtlety made possible by the 4K Blu-ray’s higher resolution and extended color palette, is particularly effective with the exquisitely designed, alabaster-like finish of Alita’s first artificial body.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/07/20/alita-battle-angel-4k-blu-ray-review-manganificent/#5db11aa07a03

The anime is on YouTube, been there for a year, so I guess it's ok to insert it here:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

RuneSR2 said:
    but maybe the sequel will have some more surprises, like Infinity War this is only 50% (or less?) of the story.
    Alita has three arcs:
    - Original (9 volumes)
    - Last Order (14 volumes)
    - Mars Chronicle (6 volumes)

The movie is roughly volumes 1-2.5 of the original series.
    (But order is different to the movie. Volume 2 ends with the Hugo stuff. Then Volume 3 brings in Motorball)

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,424 Valuable Player
    edited August 2019
    So is anyone else disappointed with the Storyline they are going with in the new Joker film?

I really dislike that they gave him a backstory of a Clown and Comedian. Very low-hanging fruit, imo. Just me?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,617 Valuable Player
    Why on earth have they completely changed the origin story of The Joker?!!? Wtf!!!

This film is going to fail. Hard.

They should have just called it The Clown or something.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    I received a key to watch Iron Sky 2 The Coming Race on Vimeo (I was an Indiegogo backer). Still waiting for the Bluray to ship.

Very cool!

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,304 Valuable Player
    Just watched Hobbs and Shaw at my local theater.  It's hilarious!!!!  May not be a true Fast and Furious movie but still a excellent movie all the same.

edited September 2019
    Kids wanted this, at least I hope there'll be some dirty language with the 11-12 year old rating...

Of course there's no way I'm going to watch this with fully functional frontal lobes, so I've started on the sedatives  o:) 

When the frontal lobes have limited capacity, something being appreciated as funny is so much easier  :D 

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,424 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Why on earth have they completely changed the origin story of The Joker?!!? Wtf!!!

This film is going to fail. Hard.

They should have just called it The Clown or something.

Completely agree! Apparently this is one of the origin stories of the Joker that popped up some time ago. But I just don't like it.

Speaking of clowns,

I recently saw IT Chapter 1 & 2 for the first time. I had been holding out. I found them enjoyable to an extent, but I don't see all the hype behind them. I was expecting a bit more. Basically, the first movie reminded me of the first Nightmare on Elm Street, and the second IT movie reminded me of the 3rd Nightmare on Elm Street (Dream Warriors).
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    I haven't watched the IT remake yet because the baddie isn't played by Tim Curry so I can't see it being anywhere near as good. B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,304 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Kids wanted this, at least I hope there'll be some dirty language with the 11-12 year old rating...

It's actually a really good movie.
    RuneSR2 said:

Of course there's no way I'm going to watch this with fully functional frontal lobes, so I've started on the sedatives  o:) 

When the frontal lobes have limited capacity, something being appreciated as funny is so much easier  :D 

Actually not a bad film - I'd rate it 6/10 - for the 4K version with Dolby Atmos on a large TV. Wasn't very impressed by the sound, but the image quality was nice (not great like Revenant, but Pokémon Detective Pikachu isn't real 4K).
    Felt slightly like a weird case of Gremlins mixed with Blade Runner, lol. Ryan Reynold's voice for Pikachu saved much of the movie for me. And the $150 mill budget helped too :blush:

Tomorrow it's time to revisit an old friend:

Image result for river kwai 4lk

These are the four films on the IMDB top 250 released during 2018-2019 that I haven't seen yet, sometimes a bit of a chore, but maybe there're some diamonds in the rough, lol...

This one looks weird in (maybe) a good way  B)

This one looks maybe too low-budget and too foreign, then again seems to have substance...

This is the easy one  <3

- and this may be the one I want to see the most: 

edited September 2019
    Sid Haig has died, age 80.
    Forget "It", the best evil clown is Sid's Captain Spaulding in House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects.

Reading about it, I just found out that Rob Zombie has made a sequel to The Devil's Rejects called "3 From Hell".
    It had a special theatrical release 5 days ago. DVD/Bluray release is October 15.
    I guess it's cool Sid's last film has him as his best known character.

• LeroyVRChristopherLeroyVRChristopher Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    kojack said:
    Sid Haig has died, age 80.
    Forget "It", the best evil clown is Sid's Captain Spaulding in House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects.

Reading about it, I just found out that Rob Zombie has made a sequel to The Devil's Rejects called "3 From Hell".
    It had a special theatrical release 5 days ago. DVD/Bluray release is October 15.
    I guess it's cool Sid's last film has him as his best known character.

great list
    edited October 2019
    Saw Endgame yesterday, not a bad movie, even saw the 4K HDR version with surround sound, but I couldn't help feeling slightly bored. 
    These big battles don't work well for me - I mean, it was truly clobbering time in the movie, but I miss the stone dude yelling "It's clobbering time!"  :'(

Image result for it clobbering time

And who really cares about Thanos - he's like 10 feet tall? A tiny insect compared to real power, sigh.

Related image

Still feels like Disney is trying to make something big out of their small and sad leftovers from the big sale many years ago - but it seems there's now new hope  <3

For a small price it seems Fantastic Four, X-Men and Deadpool are home again  :D

"On December 14, 2017, The Walt Disney Company agreed to a $52.4 billion deal to acquire 21st Century Fox, including its subsidiary 20th Century Fox. Disney's CEO Bob Iger stated that they plan to integrate the Fantastic Four into the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), alongside the X-Men and Deadpool.[34] On March 20, 2019, the now $71.3 billion deal was officially completed.[35] At the 2019 Marvel Studios San Diego Comic Con Hall H presentation in July, studio head Kevin Feige announced that a Fantastic Four film, which will be set in the MCU, is in development.[36][37]Peyton Reed, director of Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp, has expressed interest in directing a film based on the team."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four_in_film

I saw Fractured on Netflix last night and it was excellent.

B) 

snowdog said:
    I saw Fractured on Netflix last night and it was excellent.

B) 
    I got so annoyed at the incompetent staff at the emergency department that I turned it off yesterday. But it felt weird, no staff would ask you to sit and wait with a child needing help immediately. Something is wrong, some of the other persons waiting also looked strange. I guess the director wants to annoy me and this may be part of a twist.... But don't tell me if I'm right or wrong yet, thanks ;)

I've decided to watch some more of the movie later tonight - also if you say it's great.

PS. It actually is a great movie - I'd probably rate it 7/10. In short, don't stop watching before you've seen at least 30 minutes ;-)

Told ya so!  B)

You should never doubt The Snowdog, he's right 99.9% of the time innit.

edited October 2019
    snowdog said:
    Told ya so!  B)

You should never doubt The Snowdog, he's right 99.9% of the time innit.
    But you posted that info after I stopped watching - how was I supposed to know?? ;)

From now on I expect you to watch and post about new Netflix movies no later than 3 hours after release!  :D 

Got and saw this one yesterday. It wasn't bad, I'd rate it 6.5/10, but would have liked to see some more birdie on fire - maybe Marvel can fix things now that they own the rights to X-Men...
     Image result for dark phoenix 4k box

Saw Eli on Netflix yesterday and it was awesome. B)

edited October 2019
    Have just finished watching The Joker (no, not THAT one!) on Amazon Prime Video and it's by far the best of the three films I've seen over the last few days. Brilliant!

snowdog said:
    Have just finished watching The Joker (no, not THAT one!) on Amazon Prime Video and it's by far the best of the three films I've seen over the last few days. Brilliant!
    Didn't they say in The Shining: "All movie watching and no Asgard's Wrath play makes Snowdog a dull boy?"  :D  

Or maybe I remember it wrong, sigh... 

Am too busy playing No Man's Sky to play anything else, although I may buy it with my birthday money next week B)

48 years old on Monday :(

snowdog said:
    Am too busy playing No Man's Sky to play anything else, although I may buy it with my birthday money next week B)

48 years old on Monday :(
    You're 2 years ahead, maybe I should try No Man's Sky later again, but tonight Holoception arrives and I still have not tried the €50 Borderlands game I bought 2 days ago - and then I need to see Eli on Netflix, I'm getting stressed, lol.

Anyone seen the new Hellboy movie? I'm considering getting the 4K version, but the movie isn't on sale anywhere and the Imdb rating is close to 5... Still I love Hellboy, must count for some bias when I watch to movie, and if I then sedate my frontal lobes with alchohol, could I up the rating to 7 or 8??!... Hmmm.... 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,123 Valuable Player
    I used to drink Red wine when watching a film, but I forget who's who now and I end up losing the plot. Trouble is there's nothing else to sedate my frontal lobes because I gave up smoking years ago. I've tried none alcoholic wine to try and fool my brain but I might just aswell drink some vinegar I have.
    RedRizla said:
    I used to drink Red wine when watching a film, but I forget who's who now and I end up losing the plot. Trouble is there's nothing else to sedate my frontal lobes because I gave up smoking years ago. I've tried none alcoholic wine to try and fool my brain but I might just aswell drink some vinegar I have.
    Hmm, yes, maybe Irish Coffee is needed, I might have taken a small nap during X-Men Dark Phoenix due to the red wine, and my wife wasn't very understanding to put it mildly. It's becoming more and more complicated to enjoy and watch movies, lol.