New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Films Thread

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,076 Valuable Player
    Just ordered tickets for the 3D version tonight in the theater, we're leaving in 30 mins - and packed my Imax, Real 3D and some no-name 3D glasses - some of them have got to work!  :D 

Image result for STAR WARS IX THE RISE OF SKYWALKER 3d poster
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Maybe I'm getting too old, but I kinda felt both connected and disconnected to the new Star Wars movie. Episodes 7 - 9 felt like a repetition of 4 - 6, but maybe that's not bad to create some closure of episodes 4 -6 in order to move on. 

I'd probably rate the movie 6/10. There weren't really any 3D pop-out effects, seems like no-one dares to dive into the huge potential of 3D anymore. 

BTW, just a few thoughts about movie theaters and TVs. After getting the 85" I have not been much to the theater. On my retina the screen in the cinema was larger, but image quality was more blurry. I did not experience sharpness and skin details close to what I often experience in true 4K movies (on discs). Black levels were strikingly worse in the cinema, looked a lot like the gray blacks in the Index, lol. 
    Also 24p in the cinema felt very blurry compared to the 1000Hz motion flow in newer TVs. Colors also are way better on the TV.
    Pros for visiting the theater were the sound (could feel it in my stomach at times, awesome), the slightly larger screen and the feeling of being present in the auditorium. But modern TVs have come a very long way, my need to revisit the theater anytime soon will be limited. It's probably just a question of time before a great high-res (oled) hmd can provide similar res like in the currently best theaters. Although the Index is great, for now - and in very dark surroundings - Index has too much glare to be considered an optimal solution for movie watching. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,679 Valuable Player
    It was Ok but a lot of the banter and actor chemistry seemed fake and contrived. The originals just worked. Probably the case of too many chefs cooking the story. 
    edited January 18
    Continuing my journey into intellectual life-enriching warm films, this weekend I've got :blush:  

Well, I firmly believe that Overlord may ease my craving for Saints & Sinners and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond - and who doesn't greatly appreciate a WW2 movie with zombies?  :D

Some also say it's Castle Wolfenstein on film...

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,011 Valuable Player
    edited January 18
    I thought Overlord started good and then got a bit long in the tooth for my liking 5/10 for me. I didn't like IT much either if I'm honest so another 5/10.
    edited January 18
    RedRizla said:
    I thought Overlord started good and then got to silly for my liking 5/10 for me. I didn't like IT much either if I'm honest so another 5/10.

Probably much the same here - but I hope HDR, 4K and Atmos sound can improve the experience a notch or two. Also after seeing the latest Star Wars movie in the cinema, there's no doubt the image quality is much sharper, and blacks and colors are way better too, when watching 4K movies on a large TV - the build-in motion compensation also improves immersion. 
    My 12 year old  son wanted to see IT 2, but the wife just ruined that idea and says he must wait 4 more years, lol - might have to see it alone then, which also may make it better...  

- And thanks for the heads up, seems I'll need some frontal lobe anesthesia before watching any of these movies  o:) Luckily, the mail man just delivered a box of medicine from 2016 - hope it's better than the movies, lol

Image result for Cantine di Ora Amicone 2016

edited January 18
    I didn't see that it was IT 2 you were talking about, I haven't seen that one. As for Overlord, I didn't mean it's silly it's just a bit long in the tooth that's all and maybe a bit silly :p
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,056 Volunteer Moderator
    I watched Overlord not too long ago. But I can't remember a single thing from it. I think I liked it, but it obviously didn't impact me much.
    It's not like it isn't my kind of thing. I'm writing this while wearing a Dead Snow tshirt.

I did enjoy Frankenstein's Army, which is kind of a cheaper (but came first) Overlord with russians instead of americans.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
    RedRizla said:
    I thought Overlord started good and then got a bit long in the tooth for my liking 5/10 for me. I didn't like IT much either if I'm honest so another 5/10.
    I'd probably rate Overlord 6.5/10 - sound was really good. But the movie felt kinda slow, maybe budget limited, first and last 15 minutes were awesome though. 

edited February 1
    Mailman brought this week:

- and for the wife and kids - son has learned about the Roman Empire in school, and this movie is still above 8 on IMDB:

- and for the Wuhan perspective:

Image result for 12 monkeys blu-ray

- lastly this one is in the mail and should arrive Monday, I'm starting to feel slightly stressed, also need time for Saints and Sinners, lol

edited February 3
    So you are the one buying discs :)

I thought Once Upon a time in hollywood sucked.
    So you are the one buying discs :)
    Seems so o:) 4K discs are the only way to get the best versions as fast as possibly on my TV, Netflix 4K is compressed and then I'd have to wait even longer to see the movies  B) And I like to have the possibility to watch movies when the zombies come and the internet goes down, lol (and Netflix has a way of removing and replacing movies after some time). 

Beware of the 12 Monkeys 2009 blu-ray release though - the transfer is quite bad, nearly looks more like a DVD version. Should have read this first - image quality rated only 3/5 for the blu-ray release...

Let me get this out of the way right up front: 12 Monkeys will never be as sharp, as dazzling, or as striking as other notable catalog releases... regardless of how extensive a restoration it receives. Not only did Gilliam shoot the majority of his scenes with diffusion filters (to submerge the image in an unsettling, dreamlike haze), he relied on clashing light and shadow, jarring shifts in perspective and focus, and intermittent bursts of clarity and softness to keep his audience continually questioning Cole's sanity and motivations. As a result, some viewers will write off Universal's faithful 1080p/VC-1 transfer as an underwhelming fluke; a mismanaged presentation that doesn't boast the high definition swagger required to stand alongside the best catalog releases on the market. 

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/12-Monkeys-Blu-ray/5595/

- there's a new 2018 version though, which seems to be better. Unfortunately I didn't get that one. Still fun to watch the movie with my 12 yo son. 

Great film 12 monkeys.
    edited February 8
    Don't you just love when you order the much cheaper standard edition and some nice idio* *cough!* some kind dude makes an error and ships the limited edition steelbook instead?   :)

Note that Ad Astra is a true 4K release, the movie is not upscaled from 2K res. Atmos sound should be close to the best ever (5/5 - https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ad-Astra-4K-Blu-ray/252161/ )

Also just got this one - it's a massive 8.6 on IMDB, can't wait to see it including HDR and Atmos sound! After comparing what the Sony 85" (series 9 panel) can do when it comes to colors, sharpness, motion flow (calculating more than 24 fps) and black levels I'm close to done going to the theaters. 

Yup - continuing the disc show, I can't be the only one in here supporting 4K discs producers?  B):D 
    The TV reveals all flaws, I'm really done viewing downloaded movies in severely compressed formats (MKV, HEVC, mp4 whatever) - guess that's an important thing to consider when buying a large TV with extremely clear image quality. 

Note that Joker is a true 4K movie, you'll really need the 4K version for optimal image quality - and it may just be close to the best 4K image quality ever (I've enhanced some of the text with bold and italics):

Joker was shot entirely on digital with a variety of high-res Arri Alexa cameras, some as high as 5.1K (5120x2880), and finished at a true 4K digital intermediate. This means that Warner Bros.' 4K disc is a near-perfect representation of the film and, as such, boasts an extremely detailed and impressive 2160p transfer that gets the added boost of HDR color enhancement. While the separate Blu-ray edition is by no means a distant second, this disc clearly offers the tighter image in direct comparison and stands as one of the format's best-looking non-film releases to date. Though somewhat desaturated by design, Joker absolutely pops with color in all the right places: warm era-specific interior decorations (Murray Franklin's set is a particular standout), moody lighting, costume designs, and Arthur Fleck's clown makeup stand out strongly among the colder and more muted color choices that dominate most backgrounds. High Dynamic Range contributes to the transfer's most impressive color-related moments, from an early chase sequence to a deadly subway encounter and its immediate aftermath. Even if your current 4K television is not equipped to decode the full HDR10 signal, you will notice an obvious difference when compared to the Blu-ray's SDR image.

Of course, not all of Joker's visual strengths are color-related. Textures and fine detail are also extremely refined from start to finish, from those aforementioned costume designs to skin pores and caked-on clown makeup. While some of the perceived detail has been artificially produced via a fine grain filter over the digital image, it's a convincing formula that gives Joker an unusually film-like appearance. Modest to strong depth is achieved with various focal techniques, while black levels and shadow detail are both very stable with absolutely no flagrant signs of banding or compression artifacts. Warner Bros.' Blu-ray -- even with its surprisingly low bit rate -- received top marks in the video department, so it's no surprise that the 4K's much heftier 2160p transfer proportionally earns perfect scores by its own rating scale. This is simply a top-tier disc that likely rivals even the best theatrical experience just a few short months ago.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Joker-4K-Blu-ray/251615/

Btw, Ad Astra was not as good as I hoped for. It's not bad either, and may be considered an attempt to provide a post-modern version of 2001, lol. Maybe it's a more realistic, lonely and dark version of 2001. It's a movie that helps me accept not being an astronaut ;) Not sure Brad Pitt is my first choice for the main character in Ad Astra, but I never really liked Brad Pitt, he always fails to connect with me, but I did enjoy Fight Club...
    Ad Astra has many great vistas and special effects, and plenty of spaceships, the movie is worth watching just for the tech show and the vision of the future. Can't decide if it's 6/10 or 7/10 - let's say 6.5/10. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,052 Valuable Player
    Got myself a couple of Shaun Of The Dead hoodies delivered last week. Got shafted by Customs for 12 quid though:

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited February 14
    RuneSR2 said:

Fun thing, I did not watch the Oscar 2020 Academy Award show a few days ago - but after watching Joker last night I thought that Phoenix did the most impressive job - and then I checked and saw this, lol:

Never thought Phoenix could beat Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, but Phoenix did the impossible - and there's no doubt - I think this short user review from IMDB is spot on - this movie is a 10/10 (even if there are no spaceships in it ;-)

The 4K version is reference when it comes to 4K image quality, maybe topped only by Mortal Engines. Blacks are really blacks due to HDR and the resolution is so high it feels like swinging a microscope over Phoenix face from time to time. I could even clearly see the dirt under his bitten fingernails - which was kinda gross. Also his dirty teeth, and every skin imperfection, all his hair etc. This movie was so disturbingly clear I was thinking that maybe the more blurry blu-ray version would be better, lol - but the clarity did add presence like (close to) never before. Felt like watching a stream of photographs. There's a small amount of film grain used, but you don't notice it in most scenes. 

Sound and music were awesome too, and the 4K disc contains Dolby Atmos sound as usual - in fact the music may be another reason for buying the 4K disc version - Joker got a second Oscar:

After watching the film I was thinking that now I had just watched my very first superhero (ok, supervillain then) movie. Frank Miller would be proud - I hope, because this is the first movie from DC where I felt the atmosphere and story matched or transcended the best books. Ledger might still have delivered the best comic book Joker performance, but Phoenix just went beyond the books and made the Joker come out the books and made him into a real person. Like for the first time turning Pinocchio into a real boy ;)

I do think there might be an age problem though, unless we're going to see Batman beating up the elderly in later movies, but maybe some clever writer can fix that, lol.  

Note that Joker isn't for kids including young teenagers, not really because of violence, but this is a movie for adults. It's not funny nor is it an action movie, mostly I think - like Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns books - this is a film about society - a political film about wealth inequality and the consequences. A movie cleverly disguising and reflecting our current world. To quote the movie Seven:

"Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention."

- and the Joker hits you with a sledgehammer like never before. You could say it's also a movie about the nature of being evil. - In psychology the term does not really exist, because being evil can be reduced to many different components, so is the Joker really evil - or sick - or a product of society - or everything combined (=sum of traumatic incidents and triggers)? That - together with Phoenix' godlike performance - make this movie a 10/10.

I still think that Jack Nicholson was the best Joker. People wouldn't have been raving about Ledger if he was still alive imo. Michael Keaton has also been the best Batman by far too. Those first two Tim Burton Batman films were awesome, particularly the second one with Michelle Pfeffer in a rubber catsuit lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited February 14
    snowdog said:
    I still think that Jack Nicholson was the best Joker. People wouldn't have been raving about Ledger if he was still alive imo. Michael Keaton has also been the best Batman by far too. Those first two Tim Burton Batman films were awesome, particularly the second one with Michelle Pfeffer in a rubber catsuit lol :D
    Point taken with Nicholson, but I still think Phoenix is in a league of his own. Simply because the Joker no longer felt like some weird comic book character, but real. Being "real" (at least to some degree) is taking a step away from the original books, but I like it - also this new origin of the Joker feels much more logical and coherent, there's no longer any need the take a bad in strange chemical substances (at least not literally ;-). Also confirming what we know from normal life - thus the Joker isn't born as a Joker, but life turns him into the character. Love the many triggers in the movie - the movie is like a journey through triggers, lol. 

edited February 15
    RuneSR2 said:

I consider myself reasonably lucky with the movies I've bought lately, because few sucked donkey balls. And even though I do not really like neither Brad Pitt nor Leonardo DiCaprio, Pitt did win an Oscar for the movie and I was looking forward to see "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood". Of course mostly because I'm a great fan of several Tarantino movies. 
    But this movie really did suck donkey balls - at least the first 130 minutes of the 150 minutes or so - where literally nothing happened. Sure it was nice to go down memory lane and see the sunny Hollywood in the year of 1969, and yes I did enjoy Margot Robbie in pure 4K res - then again who wouldn't :blush:

Image result for margot robbie sexy

But in the end this was like $30 down the drain - this is by far not a normal Tarantino movie. There's close to no action or coherent nor interesting story. I was hoping Tarantino could force Brad Pitt into unusual roles (like Travolta in Pulp Fiction), but Brad Pitt and DiCaprio were just like you've seen them in most of their other movies. None of them expressed many emotions, neither anger or happiness - ok, DiCaprio maybe a little - but emotionally everything - apart from maybe 10 minutes - was just ... dull. I've got no clue why Pitt won an Oscar for this semi-mediocre performance. I get it why Phoenix won for the Joker - because Phoenix totally owned that Oscar - but Pitt!?!? 
    If you miss reliving the summer of 1969 in Hollywood, see this collection of scenes - if you want an interesting story or action look elsewhere. I'd rated the movie 4/10, thank you Margot ;) Music and sound were great though. 

I think these reviews are really spot on:

Btw - regarding any bias - I'd rate both Pulp Fiction and Hateful Eight 10/10.

The kids talked me into going to the theater yesterday - we saw Sonic. It wasn't bad, actually quite funny here'n there - in fact I think Brad Pitt should give his Oscar to Jim Carrey, because Jim delivered a great performance in Sonic!

The movie is 7/10 on IMDB, which is very high for this genre, but I think 6/10 is more correct - ok 7/10 if you're not an adult ;)

Btw, trying to capture some 4K Joker greatness I took this photo with my mobile phone, so it looks much better in the real world - the facial details are really second to none in the Joker 4K edition:

The above is just zoomed in on this photo:

It's Saturday - just got this movie - it's sci-fi, but not that high on IMDB.

Image result for glass 4k

I hope this dude is right - this is the user review on IMDB with the most votes for being helpful:

Hmm, a "thinking person's movie" - might have to go easy on the red wine tonight then :# 

Found out that Glass was the last part of a trilogy taking about 20 years to make - so I'm revisiting Unbreakable tonight and start the journey toward Glass  o:)

After getting Split I saw that the movie is available in 4K too, but it's fake 4K and same sound as the blu-ray (no Atmos), thus probably of limited importance... Glass is real 4K + Atmos.

edited March 14
    Unbreakable was totally awesome - fun thing, after like 20 years I only remembered that the main character was in a train accident surviving without a scratch. But the movie is so much more - I'd completely forgotten about Mr. Glass and the ending. Can't wait to see Split later today. 

Btw, mailman just brought these - yup, got World War Z to teach the sons about pandemics  o:) - And I've never seen the 3D version B)

Really looking forward to some Sleep too ;) - The Shining is one of my favorite movie of all time, although it's probably not at all the same with no Kubrick: 

Doctor Sleep is real 4K and has Dolby Atmos support. 

The all-digital Doctor Sleep was shot with an Arri Alexa 65 and finished on a 4K digital intermediate, which predictably yields excellent results in its native format. As mentioned earlier, there are no shortage of interesting locales and color schemes -- some traditional, others very imaginative -- and this 2160p transfer treats them all with care, presenting a very refined and consistent overall picture that holds steady from start to finish. Image detail and textures are quite good, with a substantial amount of depth and clarity during outdoor scenes and those shot with more creative focal techniques. Black levels are nice and deep but shadow details don't get swallowed whole, as the transfer's bold and thick appearance feels as rich as some of the better traditional films I've seen in 4K.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Doctor-Sleep-4K-Blu-ray/254575/

Didn't realise they did another two films after Unbreakable!!! I absolutely LOVED that film!!! Bruce Willis has been one of my favourite actors since the awesome Moonlighting, a series that I rewatch every few years cos it's so bloody good. Am now going to watch Unbreakable again and check out those other two films too!!!

edited March 15
    snowdog said:
    Didn't realise they did another two films after Unbreakable!!! I absolutely LOVED that film!!! Bruce Willis has been one of my favourite actors since the awesome Moonlighting, a series that I rewatch every few years cos it's so bloody good. Am now going to watch Unbreakable again and check out those other two films too!!!

Just saw Split - which was awesome, great acting - we'll continue with Glass this evening! Note, on the blu-ray there're like 15 - 20 minutes of deleted scenes, which really help put Split into perspective - and the alternative ending, maybe that can be found also on YouTube. 
    Upscaling the blu-ray version of Split to 4K was really amazing - really felt like the image quality was very close to true 4K quality - which was a big difference to Unbreakable which had much poorer image quality. So maybe not much need to get Split in 4K instead of blu-ray (and Split 4K is also fake 4K, but you do get HDR). 

Seems like it was always a trilogy, but was delayed for many years due to Unbreakable's too limited earnings at the box office - from Wiki:

"Upon release in 2000, Bruce Willis revealed that Unbreakable was the first part of a planned trilogy.[13] Both Willis and Samuel L. Jackson pushed for a sequel or trilogy, with Willis stating "It's really built as a trilogy," but Shyamalan expressed uncertainty and said, "I can’t tell you anything about them." Whether the film had a sequel depended upon how it would perform at the box office.[14] While Unbreakable was a moderate box office success, grossing $248 million worldwide on a $75 million budget,[15] it performed below expectations, earning about a third of what The Sixth Sense grossed.[12] Unbreakable gained more popularity over time and subsequently developed a cult following,[16] as the audience for comic book superhero films grew over time.[12]"

We may consider us lucky to finally get the trilogy! 

edited March 19
    Never noticed this movie before, but I love animals so this was an easy pick-up from the bargain bin  <3  B)

Btw, Netflix in EU now drops quality from HD to SD to reduce the massive burden on the internet due to the corona situation. But buying discs you get the best quality, you don't put a burden on the internet and you support the movie industry (and/or local shops) to a much higher degree than using Netflix  o:) 

@RuneSR2 - The movie Split has to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The other two were good, but this one was pure garbage.
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - The movie Split has to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The other two were good, but this one was pure garbage.
    It was a bit long, but we did enjoy it - personally I like the focus on dissociative identity disorder (DID), there has been cases where one personality needed glasses and another didn't - and one had diabetes the other didn't - so to me Spilt was interesting in several perspectives, although they of course do take everything beyond normal limits in the movie. 
    Haven't seen Glass yet, maybe this evening :-)