New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Films Thread

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,554 Valuable Player
    PS. 

''Some multiples carry several different eyeglasses, because their vision changes with each personality,'' said Bennett Braun, who directs a unit devoted to treating multiple personalities at the Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center in Chicago. Dr. Braun reports the case of a young woman who in one personality was colorblind for blue and green, a problem that ended with the successful treatment of her multiple-personality condition. Another woman, admitted to a hospital for diabetes, baffled her physicians by showing no symptoms of the disorder at times when one personality, who was not diabetic, was dominant. A young man was allergic to citrus fruit in some personalities, but not in others.

Research on brain patterns of multiples has produced data of unusual promise. Dr. Braun reports the case of a woman who, at one point in her treatment, manifested four personalities. Brain wave measurements showed each had a distinct pattern of brain function. After her successful treatment, when these four personalities were blended into a single, integrated one, the remaining pattern was still distinct from any one of the previous four.

''The difference between the personalities were significantly greater than normal people simulating other personalities could produce,'' said Monte Buchsbaum, a research psychiatrist at the University of California at Irvine, who collaborated on the study. ''The personalities looked like completely different people.''

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/05/21/science/new-focus-on-multiple-personality.html

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Postman just delivered more quarantine flicks  <3 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,469 Volunteer Moderator
    kojack said:
    I just finished watching Stalker.
    Yeah, definitely a very different experience to the first time, I appreciate it more now.
    So many great LONG takes with slowly panning or zooming cameras. Don't watch if you are impatient.
    Fascinating movie if you give it a chance.
    That was back in april of last year. I loaned the bluray to a co-worker a few days later.
    I'm still waiting for him to watch it so I have somebody to talk to about it. Apparently he's waiting for another co-worker to come over and watch it with him, but they keep getting distracted by binge watching tv series instead.

edited March 28
    RuneSR2 said:
    Postman just delivered more quarantine flicks  <3 

Johnny English 2 took me by surprise - it was really funny, nearly had me crying of laughter of few times - that does not happen often these days. Reminded me a lot of a modern version of Inspector Jacques Clouseau in Pink Panther - wife rated Johnny English 2 9.5/10, my 12 year-old son 9/10. I think 7-8/10 would be better. Sound and visual quality was really great in the 4K version - I might even consider this the best Bond(-like) movie I've seen for years, lol. 

The VR scene was fun - you'll have to see both clips to get (and understand) the whole scene:

That's why non-tethered VR is so dangerous  ;)

edited May 8
    Saw Cloverfield a few weeks ago with the sons, and just found one of my favorite movies in the bargain bin  <3

Maybe Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane aren't completely connected, but both movies are produced by J. J. Abrams. And of course the movies, although being very different, are connected, more here - and spoilers:

https://screenrant.com/10-cloverfield-lane-original-movie-connection/

Kinda does relate to Alyx and Half-Life... 

edited May 8
    Uh, never realized there's a third movie (on Netflix), also produced by J. J. Abrams - awesome - I'm gonna see that later tonight!  <3 (IMDB rating is pretty low though...)

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,617 Valuable Player
    Saw the first one and LOVED it, I just haven't got around to watching the other two yet.

A mate of mine has let me create a profile on his Disney+ account. Am working my way through the X-Men films, and have decided to watch them in chronological order rather than the order they were released, although I did watch the first two of the original trilogy to refresh my memory before starting watching them in chronological order.

I've only seen the original trilogy (X-Men, X2 and The Last Stand) when they released but never got around to watching the others.

I always preferred the X-Men to The Avengers but I've fallen WAY behind for both franchises.

Once I've watched the X-Men films I'm going to go through the Mandalorian and then go through The Avengers. 😎😁😎
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    RuneSR2 said:
    I'm gonna see that later tonight!
    You have my condolences.

edited May 16
    kojack said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    You have my condolences.

I just experienced a great and probably profoundly underestimated first world problem. I'm still in chok  :# But the light was dim, I was getting ready to watch 10 Cloverfield Lane, and it did say Dolby Atmos clearly on the disc - did notice the HDR wasn't pronounced and that the movie felt like fake 4K - and then after watching the movie I saw that I had put the 2K and not the 4K disc in the player!!!

Oh No GIFs  Tenor

Oh No GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

kojack said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    You have my condolences.

Yeah, it was a bad movie indeed - an unintentionally funny several places. They more or less ruined the previous two and really great movies with that third movie. Also it didn't really explain the first movie, where you in one of the last scenes clearly can see some sort of spaceship fall into the sea. Did not look like that monster arrived through a portal from a parallel universe to me. 2c.

edited May 16
    Sigh, no one in the family wants to watch a movie tonight, now I'm considering watching one of these all by myself...

- or maybe the mules...

Did just by this  o:)

Contains:
    • Coogan's Bluff (1968)
    • Two Mules for Sister Sara (1969)
    • The Beguiled 1971)
    • Play Misty for Me (1971)
    • High Plains Drifter (1972)
    • Joe Kidd (1972)
    • Breezy (1973)
    • The Eiger Sanction (1975)

RuneSR2 said:
    kojack said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    You have my condolences.

Yeah, it was a bad movie indeed - an unintentionally funny several places. They more or less ruined the previous two and really great movies with that third movie. Also it didn't really explain the first movie, where you in one of the last scenes clearly can see some sort of spaceship fall into the sea. Did not look like that monster arrived through a portal from a parallel universe to me. 2c.

That's the problem with changing unrelated movies to fit an existing first movie's story.
    Cloverfield Paradox was originally God Particle. J.J. changed the script during production to try to link it to Cloverfield.
    Same with 10 Cloverfield Lane, it was The Cellar, but part way through production they noticed some similarities to Cloverfield so changed the script.

Moon was cool.
    I had a slight problem with how Sam didn't really seem to be concerned enough about the impossibility of the situation. But otherwise it was good.

edited May 20
    Kids nowadays may know much about Roblox, Fifa20 and Minecraft, and my kids greatly dislike being forced to expand their horizons beyond gaming. I'm not unreasonable, this weekend I gave them a fair choice: "If you want to avoid spending about 14,400 seconds of your lives watching Ben-Hur, tell me what you know about the Roman Empire".

I guess they looked at me much like this;

Dumb and Dumber Soundtrack Music - Complete Song List  Tunefind

So today we'll start with the first 7,200 seconds of this  <3

Ben Hur Blu-ray - Film - CDONCOM

Next up Gladiator  o:)

Hell yeah.
    I don't know if kids would have the patience to sit through all of the original Ben Hur, but it's a great movie.
    Another great one from the same year (1959): North By North West.

Btw, Ben-Hur (remastered edition) really looks spectacular on the Sony 85", but it is using 100 Hz (and 1000 Hz MotionFlow) - and is upscaled to 4K - and the colors (Triluminos or whatever it's called) really pop. I doubt the movie looked better in theaters in 1959. We only saw the first half today. I must be getting soft, but the movie felt quite sad, at least I often got affected emotionally while the boys sad there yawning, lol. 

Damn, I felt like watching North by North West, but when I checked, no streaming service in Australia has it. :(

Blood Machines is out for kickstarter backers!
    I got the download link at 4am today. It's a 16.5GB MKV file (4K movie).
    The server is struggling though. I've been downloading for 6 hours and it's only about 30% done and has already failed once. With my internet connection I should be able to get it in 23min, but the server is dropping to around 150KB/s at times.
    :(

The directors sent me a Vimeo link to watch instead, but I started getting this huge file, I'm going to finish getting it!
    It eventually went faster and I got the file.

Ok, so what is this thing about? It starts off with Vascan and Lago, two salvagers who land their ship Tracy (a biomechanical AI ship) on a planet to claim the wreck of the Mima. But a cult has beat them to it.
    Then shit goes out the window as every colour known and unknown is splashed onto your eyes for the next 40min. Plus lots of breasts. LOTS of breasts.

If you want to know what was going on in Turbo Killer, this movie won't help (but they are connected). If you want to know what's going on in this movie, it also won't help. Far more questions are raised than it tries to answer.

I thought the music was going to be a bigger focus. The sound track is by Carpenter Brut and the story is based on a music video. But apart from the title sequence (which happens a third of the way through the movie) it's fairly background. It fits well, just don't go in expecting this to be a musical, or have a hard energetic soundtrack like Redline, this is synthwave afterall. :)

If you thought the scene in 2001 A Space Odyssey when Bowman goes into the monolith needed to be much longer and have more naked women, this is the movie for you.

The version I got was the 4K release. But I don't know if there's much of an advantage, the whole movie has fake film grain, scratches and specks all over it, giving it a very grind house style cinema look. It's not a clean and sharp looking movie. But it looks great. I love the ship designs, they are so detailed but bizarre that it's hard to take in what they really are.

Apparently Blood Machines will be streaming exclusively on the Shudder service starting tomorrow. Shudder is AMC's horror/supernatural streaming service. It's only available in the US, Canada, UK and Ireland though. So luckily I backed Blood Machines on kickstarter and got a copy.
    Just bought this remastered classic on blu-ray:

- in order to be prepared for this one arriving Summer 2020 (4K disc):

I absolutely LOVE The Invisible Man, a real classic!!!

Doctor's Receptionist: Doctor, the Invisble Man is here for his appointment.
    Doctor: Tell him I can't see him!!! :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,304 Valuable Player
    I just finished watch Wild Wild West.  Excellent movie.  Worth a ton of laughs.

• VRichardbVRichardb Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Really looking forward for a Hollywood production to get into VR movies, maybe something like Netflix could be the pioneer there ?  
    Told the sons we're going to watch a fish film this weekend, and they weren't exactly thrilled  >:) I hope they will be pleasantly surprised  o:)

"For its 45th anniversary, Universal brings Jaws to the UHD format with a practically impeccable 2160p/Dolby Vision UHD presentation. In the early minutes beyond the campfire scene the picture demonstrates superb command of its elements, the first of many notable scenes of practically reference quality. Grain is fine, accentuating the native filmic roots and bolstering the sense of cinematic texturing that sweeps through the shots with resplendent accuracy. Throughout, the picture proves to be very dynamic. There are many examples of notable, superb textures that stand apart at this resolution, notably period attire: light jackets, heavier sports coats, even a thin veil worn by a grieving mother. There's a tangible increase in sharpness and clarity across the board when comparing to the previously issued, and still perfectly workable, Blu-ray, but the UHD brings out the absolute best the original elements have to offer. Many of the weathered accents around the beaches and piers are tack-sharp and tactile and details both interior and exterior around town gain appreciable boosts to sharpness and clarity, even at distance, obvious in comparison but even plain to see when simply watching the UHD straight through. Skin textures and hairs are unsurprisingly some of the most obvious beneficiaries of the resolution increase and clarity gains. What a vivid, flowing, and fine film-like experience."
    https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jaws-4K-Blu-ray/265299/

My expectations are sky-high right now, lol

Here's some Neil Cicierega music to go with the last two movies.

Have just decided to start to watch some 3D films. Started off with How To Train Your Dragon which was awesome!

Next up is Avatar later on tonight I reckon. Can't believe it's taken me so long to get around to watching some of these films given that I've had a VR headset for nearly four years. :o

• BrunoAraBrunoAra Posts: 10
    Brain Burst
    Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood is truly good!
    edited May 31

Just watched this movie - while it was a nice (and somewhat fun and surprising) movie, it did not really touch me, never got close to tears nor felt great excitement - compared with many other IMDB 8+ movies. Parasite wasn't 8.5 in my book (current IMDB rating is 8.5). It wasn't a bad movie, I might rate it 7.0, but probably not higher. 

Of course hard to go beyond a 7+ rating with no spaceships in the movie, and the budget being less than $100 mill, lol. 

Btw, I'm considering giving The Mist a 9/10 or even a 10/10 rating though, because that movie moved me on several levels - unfortunately now I feel somewhat guilty for showing the movie to my 12 and 16 year old sons, but I completely forgot about the extremely gruesome ending  :( - it's really a 18+ movie in my opinion.

Don't worry about it too much. It'll put hairs on their chests. :D

RuneSR2 said:

Just watched this movie - while it was a nice (and somewhat fun and surprising) movie, it did not really touch me, never got close to tears nor felt great excitement - compared with many other IMDB 8+ movies. Parasite wasn't 8.5 in my book (current IMDB rating is 8.5). It wasn't a bad movie, I might rate it 7.0, but probably not higher. 

Of course hard to go beyond a 7+ rating with no spaceships in the movie, and the budget being less than $100 mill, lol. 
    Btw, there was a scene, where Mr. Park (the rich dude in the movie) was being picked up at work, and he was getting an introduction to VR headsets. I think he was holding the CV1 - and someone said to him that he could not use a phone for that headset but needed something much more powerful, namely a pc. I'd add a half point to the movie's rating for that awesome scene  o:)