New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Films Thread

191011121315»

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,124 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    They just don't make movies like they used to do and yet they have all this tech they didn't have years ago. We only get 3 to 5 movies a year now that stand out, but even these are not as good as film from say 10 or more years ago.
    There's plenty of good books out there so why don't they just take these books and make them into a movie if they are stuck on how to write a good story. I'm fed up of switch films off after just 15mins.
    What stops them writing a better film then say The Shinning? Instead they just take a good film and make a shite sequel the majority of the time.

I fully agree - the problem might be that you need the cognitive skills (the brain activity of a mastermind like Kubrick) to design such movies. Not sure I can think of anyone right now to fit the description. 

Btw, this was fun too:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,058 Volunteer Moderator

RuneSR2 said:
    Seems like the authors were more or less clueless about the contents of The Shining. The sequel is more or less turned into some superhero movie, but maybe that's what sells these days. 
    The difficulty they had is Doctor Sleep is based on the Doctor Sleep book, which is the sequel to the The Shining book, which is different to the movie.
    Stephen King wrote both The Shining and Doctor Sleep. He hated what Kubrick did to his story and characters and likes the Doctor Sleep movie.

I love The Shining movie, but it's not what King intended.

So I guess you could say it was Kubrick who was clueless about the contents of The Shining (book). :)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
    kojack said:

RuneSR2 said:
    Seems like the authors were more or less clueless about the contents of The Shining. The sequel is more or less turned into some superhero movie, but maybe that's what sells these days. 
    The difficulty they had is Doctor Sleep is based on the Doctor Sleep book, which is the sequel to the The Shining book, which is different to the movie.
    Stephen King wrote both The Shining and Doctor Sleep. He hated what Kubrick did to his story and characters and likes the Doctor Sleep movie.

I love The Shining movie, but it's not what King intended.

So I guess you could say it was Kubrick who was clueless about the contents of The Shining (book). :)

Fully agree, King greatly disliked Kubrick's version. Kubrick may simply have used King's book as a simple platform for making Kubrick's own movie - filled with Freudian themes and other subconscious mind-twisting tricks and illusions. 
    Still Doctor Sleep uses several flashbacks to Kubrick's movie, and the Doctor Sleep movie still uses the Overlook Hotel, although the hotel was burned to the ground in King's book. The Overlook Hotel is therefore not part of King's Doctor Sleep book, but it's a big part of the Doctor Sleep movie. So I do consider the Doctor Sleep movie something that tries to be a true sequel to Kubrick's movie. 

I fully agree with this (long) review:

Also, the Director's Cut of Doctor Sleep is more than 3 hours long, while the Theatrical version is like 2.5 hours long. Only the latter is available in UHD, but I might check out the Director's Cut soon... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited July 10
    Really sad to see the decline in available 4K (UHD) movies - feels like blu-ray 3D all over again  :'( The problem may not be big in English-speaking countries, but without Scandinavian subtitles my kids can't watch these movies. Lately the amount of 4K movies with Scandinavian subtitles have been greatly reduced - for example I have to import 1917 and Lion King (2019) from the UK if I want the 4K version, but then there's only English subtitles. 

Had to buy the boring 2K blu-ray edition for the movie we're going to see this evening:

Then did feel an urge to support the industry, and bought these also - both with Scandinavian subtitles  o:)

Baby Driver 4K Ultra Hd Blu-Ray Film  Kb billigt her - Guccadk

Black K Klansman 4K Ultra Hd Blu-Ray Film  Kb billigt her

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,054 Valuable Player
    Yup, generally video games and films usually only have FIGS (French, Italian, German and Spanish) subtitles and localisation here in the UK unfortunately. ☹
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    RuneSR2 said:
    Continuing my journey into intellectual life-enriching warm films, this weekend I've got :blush:  

Forgot to watch the movie for 6 months, lol - but just saw it (it appeared on Netflix, guess I deserved that, sigh). Quite a boring movie, had to more or less force myself through the 3 hours. In comparison Doctor Sleep is an awesome movie  B) The 4K quality is awesome though, but more than 4/10 I don't think this movie deserves. I think I'll skip the third part. Did like the first part much more, like 6/10 ;)

• MushroomiesMushroomies Posts: 201
    Nexus 6
    Speaking of movies, I have often thought that they should have put cans or boxes of Soylent Green into the Alyx Half Life game. That would have been fun to see
    I love that film, one of my favourite sci-fi films. Logan's Run was also great back in the day too. 😁
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Just bought the new intellectual movie "Uncle John Goes Cleaning in Mexico" - might see it tonight  o:) 

RAMBO - LAST BLOOD 4K UHD - Film - Elgiganten

PS. Had birthday some days ago and got some vouchers from my favorite movie pushers, ended up with these - the first one thanks to @Snowdog :) Can't have kids growing up who don't know the cute little trolls  >:)

edited July 31
    RuneSR2 said:
    Just bought the new intellectual movie "Uncle John Goes Cleaning in Mexico" - might see it tonight  o:) 

RAMBO - LAST BLOOD 4K UHD - Film - Elgiganten

Slight correction - actually Uncle John does go cleaning in Mexico, but he also cleans a bit of Mexico without leaving the US! Amazing ;) The 4K quality was awesome - sound was great, and 6-7/10 on IMDB is also my verdict. Maybe 5/10 if you got the dvd version - and 7/10 for the 4K version. Felt more connected to First Blood (and maybe thereby it's name Last Blood) than Rambo 2-4. First Blood is my favorite, with Rambo 4 (Rambo 2008) being the second best. Rambo 2 and 5 are close, if I should rate them, but these are quite different movies. Rambo 3 clearly being the worst - by far. 

Well, just found this in the bargain bin (the 2019 remake):

I can see some critics didn't like that the movie didn't follow the book - but as long as it's not too much the same as the first movie I'm (probably) happy... The currently most popular IMDB user review:

Sitting in the dark with my headphones and if the 4K and sound quality are great, the movie might not disappoint much... 

In fact, I've started warning up with some nice music!  B)

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,022 Valuable Player
    edited August 23
    I haven't seen a film as good as this for a while now, it's Russian with English subtitles, but don't let that put you off it. I really enjoyed this film and would give it an 8/10.  If you liked Alien you should really enjoy this film. Who doesn't like Aliens :)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sputnik_2020

@RuneSR2 - Put this on your watch to watch list and tell me what you think. Don't watch the trailer though because it gives things away.

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - Put this on your watch list and tell me what you think. Don't watch the trailer though because it gives things away.

Interesting - I just ordered this one in 4K - which isn't perfect, but has many "The Thing" moments:

We saw Event Horizon this Friday - using Netflix - the movie did look dated and kinda low-budget, but the story is still great.

Also I saw the new version of Pet Sematary - which was better than I anticipated. Clearly the director knows we've seen the version from 1989 - so things are like before, and then not quite... Also 4K picture quality was razor-sharp - sound was great. The ending could be better, but it wasn't bad either. 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,022 Valuable Player
    edited August 23
    I'm now saying 7/10 for Sputnik, it's definitely worth a watch. Life is better than Sputnik and I would say life is 8/10. Maybe because it's in English without subtitles. Let me know what you think of Sputnik. Maybe the subtitles make Sputnik better, I'm not sure. I just found myself attracted to the movie because I like Aliens :)
    Life? Don't talk to me about life. Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to open a door!

edited October 10
    We just watched the 6 Alien films. Even paid the full price for Covenant in 4K HDR, because the version I saw in 2017 wasn't the best and I thought that maybe optimal res, HDR and Atmos sound could lift it a star or two... And it did - Covenant looks totally awesome on 85", 4K, HDR, 1000 Hz motionflow and Triluminos colors etc. Might give it a 7/10 instead of 5/10. 

Doesn't change that I have great problems with the cognitive abilities of the crew members in Prometheus and Covenant. Those spaceships aren't cheap, why gather some of the dumbest crew members to fly them and to make critical decisions? Or maybe the captain on Covenant was a mega-brain, and too bad he died?  :D

Dumb crew members were ok in Alien - Nostromo was a freighter going from A to B and not on some high IQ mission. But the same dumb crew recipe does not work for Prometheus and especially Covenant. And arriving on an alien planet only IQ 40 or worse would take off their helmets - it does not matter if the air is breathable or not, it's about infections, microbes, pathogens etc. Did Scott not see War of the Worlds? (But I'm sure he did.)

I consider Prometheus and Covenant beautiful films that unfortunately do not make sense - like this dude says here:

- and here:

Alien and Aliens are by far my favorites, although those old CRT screens showing something worse than Commodore 64 graphics are really in-your-face these days. Visually Prometheus and especially Covenant are awesome, but plagued by so many issues that could have been easily fixed. Or maybe there aren't any quarantine restrictions in the future? - Yup that does not make sense. 
    I do get it that it's hard to show emotions and facial expression when wearing a helmet - which I think could be the reason for Ridley to remove them - but it severely breaks logic and safely protocols. If Ridley is trying to direct the movie for the lowest common denominators by selecting idiot crew members it clearly isn't working. 2c. 

Of course I'll still want to see the next Alien movie when it arrives! Lol. 

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
    kojack said:

Awesome  :D Some say there're some explanations hidden in deleted scenes - might check some out later:

- but going to check the discs first, image quality isn't good in those Youtube vids. 

edited October 10
    With the recent talk about the new movie, I've got an urge to watch the original Dune again. But no regular Australian streaming service has it (I would have to rent it from Fetch or Apple).

I've got the DVD, but that's unacceptable. You see, it's the 3 hour special edition. You might think "Oh, it's a director's cut?", and it kind of literally is, in that David Lynch had his name as director cut from this version of the movie. It's credited to the standard hollywood fake director name Alan Smithee. David was right to refuse to have anything to do with it, it ruins the movie. They added in narration to explain things and inserted cut footage that doesn't have the special effects (for example without the fremen eyes glowing blue).
    It's one of my regretted dvd purchases.

Original Dune:

New Dune:

The new one looks good, but I like the bizarreness of the 1984 version. Plus Sting. :)

edited October 24
    Just found these in the semi-bargain bin and had to support the artists  :D 

Maybe not the most award-winning nor intellectual stuff - but there's something important easily overlooked that may increase my ratings, namely image quality:

Bad Boys for Life realizes its full visual potential on UHD, boasting an impeccable 2160p/HDR UHD presentation. Both resolution and color components outclass the otherwise excellent Blu-ray, delivering a richer, more lifelike movie watching experience. Colors soar in spectacular fashion, blasting off of the screen with an intensity that suits the material perfectly. Rich Miami neons are the unmatched highlight in both broad overhead establishing shots and through some of the darker streets and clubs seen throughout the film. Tonal intensity is off the charts, delivering brilliant, eye-popping and display-pushing goodness. Warmer colors in the Bad Boys tradition find perfect saturation to emphasize natural light and skin. Black levels are perfectly deep and dense while whites offer brilliant intensity.
    This one really shines on UHD. For as good as the movie looks on 1080p Blu-ray, this 2160p/HDR-enhanced presentation of The Great Wallsourced from a 4K digital intermediate, is much better. Color depth and density are noticeably improved right of the bat. The clay- and beige-colored earthy terrains seen early in the film offer a quick tell-tale sign of the upgrade. Saturation is much improved, and there's significantly more punch and vibrancy and nuance to the colors without betraying the essential appearance of each shade or the basic textural integrity of any given scene or location. Here, it's easy to see that terrain sharpness and detail, even at distance, are much greater on the UHD as well. Black levels are a little brighter, but here offering, at times, an opportunity to reveal more detail. The dark, blue and gray-dominant scene inside the wall in chapter two isn't as dense on the Blu-ray, but the trade-off is much more visible detail on the dark armor. The finer points and most intricate lines and creases shine on the UHD. They're very complex on the Blu-ray, too, but this takes things to another level, and that's not to even mention the tangible increase in minute depth between the protruding decorations and the furthest pieces of background material. For this one, however, it ultimately comes back around to the color. The increase in depth and tonal accuracy is stunning. Every shade benefits, from the most dazzling blues to the most barren, earthy hue. Detail enjoys a fair uptick in sharpness and definition but the color makes this UHD what it is, definitely one of the best on the market and a reference point for HDR excellence.

Thus both movies are rated at a perfect 5/5 for image quality at blu-ray.com - and same for the sound. Also one of my friends recently asked if I wanted some of his *cough* downloaded movies, but the quality simply is so bad with such movies using the 85" Sony tv - where bad res and compression errors are extremely easy to see - that Netflix really is the only thing I watch which isn't on a disc. 

edited November 4
    Might be the equivalent of "last light of Durin's Day" for my aging 3D plasma, but decided to go all in maybe one last time. According to several 3D movie enthusiasts, these 3 movies, which I just bought on Blu-ray 3D, have the very best 3D pop-out effects:

edited November 22
    RuneSR2 said:
    Might be the equivalent of "last light of Durin's Day" for my aging 3D plasma, but decided to go all in maybe one last time. According to several 3D movie enthusiasts, these 3 movies, which I just bought on Blu-ray 3D, have the very best 3D pop-out effects:

Jaws 3D was awesome. Wanted to see that movie since I was 10 years old, but my mother would not let me see it in 1983  :'( The movie does indeed show some of the best pop-out effects I've seen with the plasma 3D TV. Colors popped too, this movie simply must be seen in 3D, the movie really does not work in 2D. Even my 12 yo son thought the 3D was great, although he considered some special effects to be similar to fanmade effects from his favorite Youtubers  :D

• Heiko_THeiko_T Posts: 15
    Brain Burst
    This movie is one of my favourites of all time, a bit old but definitely timeless. Just stumbled over it recently and re-watched it with my brother. If you haven't seen this movie you are missing out!