New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Films Thread

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,061 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Maybe someone should start a thread on the worst film you have ever seen. The list would probably fill a library though since there's only ever a few really good films made each year..
    No. That would cause a shitstorm of people insulting each other over opinions. Best to just leave it as is. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    One of my favourite films is also one of my worst films of all time, Life Force. Based on Ray Bradbury's short story Vampires From Space. It's a terrible film but has a female vampire that spends most of her time in the film nekked.

Also stars Patrick Stewart, fuck knows what he was thinking when he agreed to be in it lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,296 Valuable Player
    Oh yeah - I loved it back then - watched it again just recently with Mrs Brix and ended up feeling a bit embarassed that I'd recommended it :p

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,197 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Talking of Solo did everybody see this?

http://digg.com/video/solo-deep-fake-ford
    edited October 2018
    Watched Layer Cake again at the weekend. That film is a masterpiece.

You'll no doubt recognise a couple of the many Brit actors from Band of Brothers in there, too.

I watched Layer Cake a few weeks ago, it was fantastic. Easily on a par with Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels which is another one of my favourite British films.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Talking of Solo did everybody see this?

http://digg.com/video/solo-deep-fake-ford

Bloody hell, that's clever! Amazing what they can do these days. Oh shit. I just sounded like my parents lol :o:D

• NapagadyNapagady Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    1. Wolf of Wall Street.
    2. Donnie Darko.
    3. Blow.
    Rewatching the entire Police Academy series.

80/90 movies are the best....todays movies are pure junk for the most part compared to the older ones.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,623 Valuable Player
    I just wrapped up "Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix great damn series, especially for Halloween!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,775 Valuable Player
    I've been watching some crap lately and I'm in need of a good film. Seen most of the ones listed here, so keep the good ones coming. I hate seeing a film that starts of good and then becomes ridiculous with about 30 mins left. I'd just prefer them to be ridiculous from start to finish and that way I could turn off 15 mins into the film..
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,941 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    I just wrapped up "Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix great damn series, especially for Halloween!

Yup, did see all episodes of that series last week, it was a great show. Still need to catch up on the latest season of Better Call Saul, though... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Panda_KandaPanda_Kanda Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    My favorite movies would be:
    The Fountain
    Big Fish
    The Fall
    Moonrise Kingdom
    Apocalypto
    Emelie from Montmartre
    Across the Universe
    Sin City
    Inception
    Just grabbed an old classic on iTunes.

Flight of the Navigator.

Good movie.  Brings back memories.

edited November 2018
    Well our favourite for years (Mrs Brix and I) was The Last Boy Scout, closely followed by Zulu.

These days we tend to watch The Bank Job, Departed, Street Kings and Animal House more than anything else.

Excellent picture :)

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,623 Valuable Player
    I know there aren't too many Walking Dead fan's here, but tonights episode is my favorite episode in a long time. I feel that they just revived the show. We shall see!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    The Hitmans Bodyguard...

that is one funny movie. LMAO
    Digikid1 said:
    Just grabbed an old classic on iTunes.

Flight of the Navigator.

Good movie.  Brings back memories.

Not to spoil the memory but a chap once told me in the book the computer kills the boy when he tries to link to him and all the boys memories goes into the AI. What a different movie that would of been eh.
    Brain Burst
    The Purge
    iRobot. Excellent movie. 
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    Not sure if anyone's seen this, but I always liked the movie Payback with Mel Gibson.  It has a strange mix of dark comedy, harshness, and a modern day dystopian feel.  It's a pretty simple story line and the movie doesn't try to pretend to be anything more than it is.  But it's actually quite good.  This movie has always stuck with me.
    edited November 2018
    Just saw this one last night in blu-ray 3D - the wife, our 10 year-old-son and I all thought it was an awesome movie, possibly even better than the first - and no, it won't win any prices for providing the best social realism or intellectual stimulation  ;)

I did have a glass or two of red wine which may have perfectly sedated my frontal lobes in order to enjoy the movie to the fullest :blush:
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

As shown in my previous posts, I greatly prefer social realist and deep existential films, and luckily I got a few Black Friday  :D  

The kids haven't seen Jungle Book in 3D, so although it's old, got that one too  o:) Did see SW in the cinema, but my collection isn't complete without it... 

All excellent choices.  I recently picked up a few anime English movies myself.
  • BoKekLolsmanBoKekLolsman Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Guys, who's watched Mortal Engines? 7.6 on IMDb. Is it worth going to the cinema? 
    Tomorrow evening my wife and I will treat ourselves once more to the 1978 zombie classic "Dawn Of The Dead". The full thing is avaiable on YT, rather than the cut version usually shown on TV, propbably due to its length. It is a bit blurry - but we can stand that for the entertainment value.

It looks a bit corny (understatement) these days, but back then it was the mutt's nuts.

Brain Burst
    Few days ago I watched "American made" . Not a bad movie but I expected more from it :) 7/10
    Not sure if anyone's seen this, but I always liked the movie Payback with Mel Gibson.  It has a strange mix of dark comedy, harshness, and a modern day dystopian feel.  It's a pretty simple story line and the movie doesn't try to pretend to be anything more than it is.  But it's actually quite good.  This movie has always stuck with me.
    I love payback as well. While we are on the Mel Gibson train anybody see Apocalypto, very good.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,775 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    Seen most of the films listed here and haven't seen a really good movie for about 3 months now. I would say around 1 in 10 movies are good, that's how shite the film industry has become at making decent films. I get sick of wasting my time watching the first 30 mins of a film and then switching it off..
    Guys, who's watched Mortal Engines? 7.6 on IMDb. Is it worth going to the cinema? 

Haven't seen it, but for me personally very few films each year are worth going to the cinema these days considering how expensive it is to get a seat and refreshments.

30+ years ago it used to be A LOT cheaper to go, these days you need a second bloody mortgage :(

The 70s and 80s were awesome in cinemas, the 90s were a LOT less awesome and from the 00s onwards it's all a bit pants. I don't bother going any more, I just download and watch stuff when there's a decent screener,