The Official Films Thread - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Films Thread

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Seen most of the films listed here and haven't seen a really good movie for about 3 months now. I would say around 1 in 10 movies are good, that's how shite the film industry has become at making decent films. I get sick of wasting my time watching the first 30 mins of a film and then switching it off..
    1 in 10? I'd say more like 1 in 30.

I'm surprised you last 30 minutes - we watch 10 minutes, if it hasn't bucked up by then, it's off. Many evenings, after going through half a dozen first 10 mins of Netflix/Amazon/whatever we just switch off and do something else (Yahtzee is a favourite at the moment).

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,337 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    This movie (ok, trailer then) looks awesome, like freezingly cool  B) I think it's a remake/reboot - arriving April 12 2019:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited December 2018
    Deleted - somehow my below post was duplicated.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited December 2018
    We just saw the blu-ray 3D version on my plasma, and I'm fully aware of the rather low IMDB ratings - but we (wife, 11 year old son and I) greatly enjoyed the movie:

I like this review from IMDB:

"My wife and I just saw this movie in the theaters. It was fun. It was what we expected. There were times we jumped. There were really funny one liners that made us laugh. There was good action. Best of all, it was clean. There was remarkably not a lot of violence, the language was pretty clean and nothing sexual. We have three boys. We would let them watch it and we are pretty protective of what they watch. It would be a fun family night. I do not understand why everything thinks that all movies have to be some deep social commentary. Why cannot they just be fun? A break from reality? This movie fit that mold. We left in a better mood and enjoyed a fun date together. Something that we rarely do when we see movies these days. In my book; that makes this movie a 10. All you haters who are looking for something deep and soul searching, this movie is not for you."
    Source: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4779682/reviews?sort=helpfulnessScore&dir=desc&ratingFilter=10

I'd probably rate the movie 7/10 - for the 3D version, although there aren't many pop-out effects. Still this movie should be seen in 3D. 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,056 Valuable Player
    @RuneSR2 - What are the best 3D films you have seen? I like ones with pop out too, but there's not many about or I just haven't found them..
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,235 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2018
    The new Hellboy seems to have trouble talking through his makeup, his dialog sounds muffled. The bit where he overreacts to almost being shot is a bit too comical too.

It might be ok, but I just dislike remaking something that is still fairly recent (only 14 years ago). Ron Perlman was trying to get the third Hellboy movie made that was going to close off the trilogy, but he couldn't get support. Now it's being rebooted without him. :(

Any Riki Oh / Story of Ricky fans here?
    The trailer looks pretty boring, because all the good bits are way too violent to show.
    Riki is a martial arts master who is imprisoned in a corrupt jail. Everyone is trying to kill him.
    The best early 90's martial arts gore films.
    (Actually pretty tame these days because the special effects didn't age well. But still cool in an over the top stupid way)

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,235 Volunteer Moderator
    Ok, better trailer here.

edited December 2018
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - What are the best 3D films you have seen? I like ones with pop out too, but there's not many about or I just haven't found them..
    I'd recommend these:

Maybe few know the following movie, but the 3D pop-out (in-your-face) effects were among the best I've ever seen (and I've seen more than 100 3D movies, including Avatar):

Michael Bay also impressed me with some turtles - especially the pop-out effects, for example when a turtle used his tongue to grap a security card (btw, awesome movie, but most reviewers didn't agree with me, sadly - I guess they all saw the 2D version ;-)

The latest Ghostbuster movie was awesome too - but only in 3D (I still haven't understood why Thor was in the movie and why he didn't use his hammer ;-)

Staying with Thor - Ragnarok was very impressive to watch in 3D too, and probably my movie of the year - back in 2017:

And then also the blu-ray 3D IMAX movies, like:

Fun, before VR I thought that these bd 3D movies were as close to being in space as I'd ever feel ;) :blush:

Some of the underwater IMAX 3D movies are really great too. 

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    We've just put our 3D TV up for sale. I'd really like to hang on to it (I paid for it!) but as we have a brand new TV (she paid for that) I have had my orders. Thankfully, she wants far too much for it, so I'm quite sure it will never sell! :p

It's in my hobby room, all set up and ready for watching 3D vids and films, as I build my model kits :)

As for Chrimbo films - well, we didn't see anything new that we fancied, so it was Midnight Run for the gazillionth time - still makes me laugh so much - and a horror film I found on YT - "The Kiss of the Vampire", a good old 60's Hammer Horror - nuff said! I really like those ones.

edited December 2018
    Brixmis said:
    We've just put our 3D TV up for sale. I'd really like to hang on to it (I paid for it!) but as we have a brand new TV (she paid for that) I have had my orders. Thankfully, she wants far too much for it, so I'm quite sure it will never sell! :p

It's in my hobby room, all set up and ready for watching 3D vids and films, as I build my model kits :)
    One of my colleagues was a very early adopter of 4K TV and movies. During the first weeks he felt he could see a difference between full HD and 4K/UHD, but for years he's told me he can no longer see any difference between full HD and 4K movies. He's sitting 4 feet from a 65" TV. A study in Norway also found that people couldn't see the difference between 4K and full HD movies in a blinded experiment where they had to identify the same movie shown as full HD, 4K or upscaled to 4K (3 identical 4K TVs were used) - most chose the blu-ray version for the best image quality, quite interesting :)

What I love about 3D is not only that everyone can see the change from 2D - and you don't even have to look hard for it. But also you get two separate images - one for the left eye and one for the right eye - but your brain delivers just one image to your consciousness based on these images. So 3D doesn't feel like 2 x 1920 x1080, but often feels even better than 4K - because due to my brain mixing two images to make one I don't see individual pixels in 3D, image quality looks like photos - or like watching a movie in a cinema. And on top of that we get depth and - if the producer is nice - some pop-out effects.  

My plasma TV has lower response time even than OLED, I rarely see any ghosting, I'll be in tears if it ever fails me ;) It also has "Cinema Smooth" in 3D - I'm convinced it works like 72 Hz x 2 (144 Hz repeating each of the 24 frames 3 times for each eye, like 24 x 3 = 72 = reducing flicker in 3D) instead of the usual 60 Hz x 2 (repeating some of the 24 frames 3 times and some only 2 times - to fit 60 Hz). I once read in an article that 3D in the Cinema usually is 144 Hz too (3 x 24 fps per eye). 

BTW, Journey 2 has some great pop-out effects too. There's a giant mosquito hovering above a lake after something like 53 minutes, and I often use that scene to show off 3D pop-out effects - the mosquito totally comes out of the screen, but you have to pause to movie to really see it, it happens so fast that otherwise few will notice it.

edited December 2018
    Just saw this one in Blu-ray 3D with my 10 (soon 11) year old son - it's 6.4 on IMDB. I'd probably rate it 7/10 and my son would probably rate it 8/10. I've never been the biggest fan of Jurassic Park/World, I don't think Fallen Kingdom was worse than the previous movies in the series. Actually Fallen Kingdom has a lot of truly awesome scenes - 3D wasn't exploited a lot, more to created depth and great image quality. I did enjoy the casting too - Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard may not win Oscars, but delivered nice performances as usual. 

This evening it's time for Ant-man and the Wasp 3D - it's quite stressful having to watch so many movies during the Christmas holidays! Nearly got no time for VR :D

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    it's quite stressful having to watch so many movies during the Christmas holidays! Nearly got no time for VR :D
    You get your priorities straight mister! :D
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    edited January 1
    Just watched Venom on iTunes. Great movie. Lots of funny humor. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oprHtqrfn0Q&feature=youtu.be

edited January 2
    BTW, my son corrected me - Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom wasn't 8/10 - it's 10/10! So now you know  B)

Ant-man and the Wasp was kinda boring, although all actors delivered solid performances - 3D effects were nice, but the movie never really got to me. It's 7.2 on IMDB, so many may disagree with me... Like Black Panther (which I liked slightly better), Ant-man & Wasp was like a stand-alone movie, not really connected to the rest of the Marvel cinematic universe.

And when you shrink something, why would the weight go down? Can they shrink atoms? - I easily get headaches trying to figure that out - because as you can see in the movie, when things shrink, they lose weight. The rest of the Marvel universe I don't have a problem with, everything is perfectly realistic  :D  

Looking forward to Venom 3D ;-)

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Posts: 162
    Art3mis
    edited January 2
    "Avalon" (watch this movie)

"Baraka" (all of it)

I've always been fond of the song:

So I just went ahead and bought the movie  o:) - looking forward to see it  <3  B)

Image result for mandy movie poster

Image result for mandy blu-ray box

edited February 8
    I've seen this film and it's rather bizarre. This has to be the first movie that had me thinking is this a shite film or is it quite good. I still don't know the answer, so it will be interesting to know what @RuneSR2 thinks about it. I would usually turn a movie off it's it's crap, but I did watch this movie right the way through. 
    edited February 8
    RedRizla said:
    I've seen this film and it's rather bizarre. This has to be the first movie that had me thinking is this a shite film or is it quite good. I still don't know the answer, so it will be interesting to know what @RuneSR2 thinks about it. Usually I would turn a movie off it's it's crap, but I did watch this movie right the way through. 

I had some bonus points I needed to spend in a movie shop - and I couldn't find a lot of interesting movies - and like you said, I read this review on IMDB:

User Reviews

Either you'll love it or hate it!
    jimdan196216 September 2018
    FYI, I'm 56 and very jaded and cynical when it comes to movies so this review is as honest as I can get.

Seriously, I see 10's and 1's, most people seemed to either love it or hate it. I loved it, but I really wanted to hate it but I couldn't. It's exactly the type of movie I normally dislike and Cage has been a bit of a has been for a while now which doesn't help matters, but still, I loved it! I even read a bunch of the bad reviews and thought that based on those, I wouldn't like it, but nope, I still loved it!

The music I actually loved for the most part (it's very loud and in your face, not subtle at all) , the colors and cinematography in general were just great, just beautiful, and great actors to boot. As most people pointed out the first 30 minutes are a bit bizarre and trippy but for some reason I loved it and didn't have a problem with it. Please keep in mind the whole movie is a bit bizarre and trippy for the most part. Nicolas did a great job as did Andrea and Linus Roche was just plain great in it! The supporting actors did a fine job as well Not really sure what else to say, I don't feel the need to break it down.

If you're thinking about checking it out, give it a try, there's a 50/50 chance you'll actually like it.

It may all boil down to this...

Image result for half full or half empty

Maybe I should consider this movie the worst garbage, then I can't be anything but positively surprised when watching it  :D The movie should be in the mail tomorrow - I'll let you know what I think. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,592 Valuable Player
    "Avalon" (watch this movie)

"Baraka" (all of it)

Avalon is fantastic, one of my favourite films!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited February 11
    RedRizla said:
    I've seen this film and it's rather bizarre. This has to be the first movie that had me thinking is this a shite film or is it quite good. I still don't know the answer, so it will be interesting to know what @RuneSR2 thinks about it. I would usually turn a movie off it's it's crap, but I did watch this movie right the way through. 

It's definitely not a 10/10 movie, but I'm convinced it's not 1/10 either - I'd probably rate it 6/10. I guess you could describe it as a powerful movie about justified mayhem and/or violence. Movies about revenge aren't new, but the mixture of Rambo/Hellraiser combined with the revenge aspect may set this movie apart from other slightly similar movies. Now I'm thinking I should have bought Deadpool 2 instead, but Mandy wasn't bad - but it didn't really touch me much. Despite all the gore and the tragic story, I'm not sure I'll remember this movie much in a few years - the story seems way too shallow. In some way I consider it more an experimental art film - for what it's worth :)

PS. There might be some inspiration from Evil Dead in Mandy too - Nicholas Cage does look a lot like Ash. And Leatherface and his weird family may be represented too, although Leatherface's role may have been divided onto 4 different new characters.

Although I live here, usually I'm not fond of Scandinavian movies and rarely watch them - but the Department Q movies have been great/nice/not-bad to watch. As stated in this article, the movies may work best when binged - and you have to read subtitles (if you don't understand Danish):

https://film.avclub.com/the-department-q-crime-trilogy-plays-best-when-binged-1798188128

Saw the first two movies yesterday, and I'm continuing with this one tonight:

- and then there's the 4th movie:

So it's not a trilogy - in fact there're 7 books, so far only the first 4 have been made into movies:
    • No. 1 - The Keeper of Lost Causes
    • No. 2 - The Absent One
    • No. 3 - A Conspiracy of Faith
    • No. 4 - The Purity of Vengeance
    • No. 5 - The Marco Effect 
    • No. 6 - The Hanging Girl
    • No. 7 - The Scarred Woman 

Looks like some of these movies have been shown at least by the BBC (English subs, Danish spoken language):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08n5dsm/episodes/guide

Maybe I should blame Sony for slowly turning me into a couch potato - but the quality on modern 4K TVs is just outstanding, I can see even the tiniest skin defects, sometimes making me feel closer to the girls/women on screen than my wife  :D Actually the visual quality is so great it looks like photographs and probably tricks my brain into believing that movies are much more real than ever before. So yes, when possible, of course we need higher res in VR to further improve immersion. BTW, this isn't really a commercial - it actually works ;)

• alangrinalangrin Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    edited March 3
    Robbery (1967)
    Just been re-issued on Blu-Ray and looks really good.
    Enjoyed it a lot. Great car chase sequence (director Peter Yates went on to direct Bullitt) and a great cast. A really good old-school British drama. I think this must have been a big influence on The Sweeney.
    It's crazy watching crime films and series from the 60s-80s. The amounts of money that are being robbed in these blags are ridiculous compared to money these days. £50,000 from an armed robbery in those days was the stuff that dreams were made of but these days it really isn't a great deal of cash.

Armed robberies changed in the 80s though, when the police started to respond with deadly force. I had a mate that used to do armed robberies quite regularly but he gave it up because it became too dangerous...so then he started to deal Speed instead, much safer lol  :o :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited March 3
    Just picked up a few blu-ray movies in the local hypermarket - because due to the tech in my new TV, blu-ray movies even look better than 3D blu-rays on my plasma - never thought I'd live to write that, sigh. Also movies in MKV or similar compressed formats suddenly don't look very good when upscaled to 4K - the TV really needs like 25GB of data to work with for a 1080p movie, double sigh. Still Netflix looks great in 1080p, but I think Sony lets the TV support Netflix, while all the TV's processing powers are turned more or less off when showing MKV and the like (especially using the VLC player). Ended up with these blu-ray movies:

Love Western movies, so picked up this one - although the IMDB rating is below 7...

And then this high-rated Danish film - but now I saw it's already on Netflix - dammit :D (Buying movies is getting so difficult, first I have to check IMDB, then I have to check Netflix, not easy when checking a large number of movies and the wife and kids want me to move on.) 

edited March 3
    I'm not to bothered about getting the television I want right now, and that's mainly due to the fact that most new films I've seen recently have been a load of shite. Most of the time I find myself thinking, I wish this would just hurry up and finish, which is a sign to me that it's shite. I would normally switch these films off, but the problem is most of what's on television in the UK is shite too. 
  • alangrinalangrin Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    The House with the Clock in its Walls

OK, so this is limited within the confines of a family friendly ookie spooky flick.
    Absolutely brilliant, haven’t enjoyed a film like this so much in ages. Great mix of weird, funny, silly and adventure. Pretty creepy in places too!
    RedRizla said:
    I'm not to bothered about getting the television I want right now, and that's mainly due to the fact that most new films I've seen recently have been a load of shite. Most of the time I find myself thinking, I wish this would just hurry up and finish, which is a sign to me that it's shite. I would normally switch these films off, but the problem is most of what's on television in the UK is shite too. 

Yup, I generally don't watch live television. If there's something I want to watch I just download it from a fantastic members only torrent site I joined years ago after it has been on.

I do watch live football and boxing but that isn't by giving the Murdoch Empire any money - I wouldn't have a problem paying for the likes of Sky and BT if they allowed you to watch whatever match you wanted, including Saturday afternoon kick offs at 3pm, but they don't. If I was living in Ireland I'd be able to watch them but here in the UK you can't. I just watch them on streams for free instead.

I should be getting my dodgy aerial this week some time so I'll hopefully be able to watch live matches for free, as well as watching MUTV regularly. Probably not though because it seems to be one of these 'too good to be true' things to me. It arrived from China to London around midnight so I should be getting it in a couple of days hopefully.

I think you'll find it won't work because the channels are encrypted. You might just get some foreign channels if your lucky.
    Well we'll have to wait and see I guess, I'm not expecting it to work so I won't be too disappointed. I also got it by paying with Paypal so I should be able to get my money back if it's a con I think.

If it doesn't work I'm going to send Mr Zuckerberg a turd in a box because I saw it on a Facebook ad lol :o :D

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,889 Valuable Player
    Anyone planning on watching the Captain Marvel movie? I will be watching it soon.

So far the best (and most unbiased) review I've found on YouTube comes from AngryJoe,

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane