New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Films Thread

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,703 Valuable Player
    edited March 9
    Zenbane said:
    Anyone planning on watching the Captain Marvel movie? I will be watching it soon.

So far the best (and most unbiased) review I've found on YouTube comes from AngryJoe,

Planning to watch the movie also - but I'm also planning to buy a 4K (uhd) player and start a 4K movie disc collection, so it'll probably be months before watching Captain Marvel - maybe Venom 4k next week :blush: 

Even though Venom is fake 4K (a mix between 8K and 2K), according to the movie gee* *dry cough!* 4K movie enthusiasts the 4K version should still be much better than the blu-ray version.

Can't believe it, there's a rather large forum for 4K movie enthusiasts, where they discuss even the smallest details  :# 

https://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?s=6aafc94580f441ddb00009e892dad969&f=210

Good to be in here - surrounded by normal people with normal interests!  o:)   :D 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,108 Valuable Player
    I'd rather be surrounded by kinky people with kinky interests myself B) :D B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • alangrinalangrin Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Overlord - 6/10
    Started off okay with a visceral Normandy paratrooper landing behind enemy lines. However it then descended into an attempt to fuse Inglorious with zombie movie. Would have been better sticking to a Boys Own straightforward war story. Nazi zombies done better in the Outpost movies or Dead Snow, especially the second one. 
    Today's First World problem: get Venom on blu-ray (free shipping) for $15 and watch it magically upscaled to 4K - or get Venom real 4K HDR + 4K player for $330... Sigh... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,706 Valuable Player
    edited March 13
    @RuneSR2 - Or don't get Venom at all because it's pants :p

Overord a 5/10 from me.

I just watched "The House That Jack Built". Quite a disturbing movie tbh. I'd rate it 7/10 for doing something different. Made "Silence of The Lambs" look like a comedy to me.
    alangrin said:
    Overlord - 6/10
    Started off okay with a visceral Normandy paratrooper landing behind enemy lines. However it then descended into an attempt to fuse Inglorious with zombie movie. Would have been better sticking to a Boys Own straightforward war story. Nazi zombies done better in the Outpost movies or Dead Snow, especially the second one. 

Bloody hell, I didn't realise they did a sequel to Dead Snow! I'm going to have to check that out!

And welcome to the forums! :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited March 14
    RedRizla said:

Overord a 5/10 from me.

I just watched "The House That Jack Built". Quite a disturbing movie tbh. I'd rate it 7/10 for doing something different. Made "Silence of The Lambs" look like a comedy to me.

Hmm, looks like edutainment  :D I guess we all can learn so much from that movie - looks great  B)

edited March 19
    Although my wife has been tested to have an IQ of 170, she mostly likes big budget action movies (I get to see all the slow intellectual social-realist movies alone :blush: ). In fact she greatly likes Transformers - well, I kinda do too due to the awesome special effects. Now - somehow I missed this one - and I'm considering buying the 4K version (even if it's fake 4K), anyone knows if it's complete garbage? The trailer looks cool ($209 mill budget - it's one of the most expensive movies ever made - in comparison Transformers 5 (Last Knight) had $217 mill budget and a slightly lower IMDB rating :D ):

Image result for battleship 4k

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,049 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:

Overord a 5/10 from me.

Hey now...Venom is an awesome movie. 
    edited March 23
    Saw this movie last night - my first true 4K experience on the Sony 85" using my Sony X800 4K player:

Image result for revenant 4k

The special thing about Revenant is that the movie was filmed in 4K - so compared with the majority of 4K blu-ray films it's not upscaled. My impressions:

I sat about 1 meter (3 feet) from the TV, also moved to 3 meters (9 feet) which felt better, and I had the normal (2K) blu-ray so I could swap and compare (using the exact same player and TV). 

This was truly a deluxe experience - I have never seen better image quality in a movie, not even the best IMAX certified cinemas have delivered anything close to this image clarity - possible because it's difficult to get perfect sharpness in the cinemas due to the extremely large screens. Everything felt like moving photographs - in that perspective 8K doesn't make much sense, can anything look better than real? (Now 4K + 120 Hz + 3D would be an entirely different discussion). 

Still blu-ray upscaled 4K also looked amazing, I tried to take a few pics of the TV screen comparing real and upscaled 4K, but I don't think I can capture the difference correctly like that. It's more a sensation of absolute clarity when the movie is running - it's in the flow ;) Also I noticed no color banding whatsoever in 4K, which I a few times have noticed on 2K blu-rays. Furthermore HDR worked nicely and didn't provide too much light in Revenant compared to my HDR experience using Netflix. 

When everything moves fast you can't see any difference between true and upscaled 4K (from 2K blu-rays). I guess 60-70 % of the movie contained scenes where it's impossible to see any difference between real and upscaled 4K. Real 4K seems more like a very expensive solution for the few viewers rejoicing and truly enjoying the sacred moments when the camera-man for a few milliseconds got everything into perfect focus (and kept the damn camera still) - and where you can observe details you've never seen in upscaled 4K before. 

Or maybe I could say the difference between real and upscaled 4K is like the difference using ss 1.6/1.7 on the Rift and then compare it to ss 2.0 ;) Not everyone will see the difference. I'll probably need to watch a movie for 30 minutes - and to really focus on the visuals - to be able to tell true 4K from upscaled 4K (remember the upscaled 4K also feeds your brain with 8.3 mill pixels per image). So real 4K has HDR and seems totally clear - simply perfect image quality - while upscaled 2K blu-rays have a slightly more "grainy" appearance although it still has great sharpness and awesome colors  (probably thanks to the advanced image processors in the Sony 85" which really do create some true magic - if you don't have similar processors in your TV or better, maybe 4K vs. upscaled 4K may be more pronounced). 

Also the TV has 1000 Hz motionflow - it may be worth considering what's happening inside the TV, like:

Real 4K: True image shown - Computer generated image shown (for God knows how many times, but probably more than 1 is generated) - True image shown. 

Upscaled 4K: Upscaled real image shown - Computer generated image shown (for God knows how many times, but probably more than 1 is generated) - Upscaled real image shown. 

In both cases many of the images I see are computer generated and not completely true images - which may make it even harder to tell true 4K from upscaled 4K. 

In short - Revenant in true 4K was the best image quality I have ever experienced in a movie - it was nearly like being present in the movie. It's hard to believe that image quality can be further improved, because everything simply looked real. 
    Upscaled 4K looked nearly as good - and it's impossible to see any difference in high-motion scenes - but it didn't have the same perfect clarity, although my mom probably would never be able to tell the difference ;) And I think you need a really big TV to observe any difference between real and upscaled 4K (especially if you have advanced image processors build-in like Sony, LG and Philips use).

I think I'll buy 4K for non-3D movies filmed in true 4K. Not sure about the rest - especially when 2K blu-rays are so much cheaper and still look awesome upscaled to 4K. 

BTW, X800 is near-silent - had to really listen for it to hear anything - the XBox One X should be much more loud according to reviews. But do get the XBox instead if you like pancake gaming, you'll probably get much more bang for the bucks than getting a standalone 4K player (I believe X800 to have much higher WAF, although she just complained about it, still XBox One X in our living room would probably push the Doomsday Clock much closer to midnight).  

edited March 23
    @RuneSR2 - Did you enjoy the movie? I really enjoyed it and would give it an 8/10. Did you watch "The House That Jack Built" yet?
    edited March 23
    Yes, The Revenant is an awesome movie, I think 8/10 is spot on. I did see about 50% of the movie a few years ago, but I'm glad I waited for the 4K version, the quality really added a lot to the movie. 

This evening we saw I movie I didn't expect ever to see due to the bad ratings - but it wasn't that bad. My 11 year old son rated it 6/10 - I'd agree to that:
    Image result for fantastic four 4k
    This movie is "fake 4K", so it's upscaled from 2K (originally shot in 2.8K and 3.4K then downscaled to 2K). Although I didn't compare with the blu-ray, clearly this movie did not seem as real as Revenant - but it wasn't bad either. This review seems quite close to my experience - especially HDR was nice:

"The UHD disc offers minor-to-moderate, but evident, refinement. Colors -- even rather flat shades of dark blue -- are more precise. Finer fabric details are more revealing. Perhaps most immediately noticeable is the improvement in facial definition. On the Blu- ray, Kate Mara's skin is so smooth it almost looks like plastic. On UHD, it retains that sense of flawlessness, but with a more richly defined skin texture that captures the very finest pores, makeup applications, and lines in her lips that on Blu-ray are only crudely visible, all evident even in medium shots. A good place to compare may be found in chapter four in a scene featuring Kate Mara and Miles Teller speaking to one another at a library table. It's well lit and shows ample opportunity to compare her face and his shirt (and her plaid shirt, for that matter) in close-up detail. The differences, while not awe-inspiring, certainly demonstrate the casual improvements audiences will enjoy with the new format, even from material that's not natively 4K. 

Other improvements and general observations of the transfer's best moments include the scars on Richards' face, fine pore and facial hair strands on both Richards and Doom, pores and scars on Johnny's face following his car accident, small smudges on the space suit helmets, scuffs and longstanding wear on an interrogation table, Thing's rocky texture and both the intimate crevices and raised ridges alike, and the fine detailing on the Fantastic uniforms, and Johnny's meshy getup in particular. Colors, boosted by HDR (High Dynamic Range) support, enjoy deeper, but not significant, saturation. The movie isn't abundantly colorful to begin with, but fiery oranges, the toxic green alien colors on the alternate dimension planet that later infuse Doom, blue hazard suits, computer display readouts, and other small colored accents satisfy beyond the 1080p Blu-ray's capabilities. Skin tones are a little more flush, but still favor the movie's cooler, pastier look. Black levels find good balance, though minor variations in depth appear along the UHD experience. 

Further, Fox's 2160p UHD presentation is never excessively noisy. Macroblocking and banding are never an issue, and neither is aliasing [...] This isn't a showcase UHD disc to be sure, but that doesn't make it without its benefits and merits."
    https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fantastic-4-4K-Blu-ray/145681/

Borrowed the movie from a colleague, still waiting for Blue Planet 2 to arrive from Amazon UK. 

I have to buy all my movies - streaming other than Netflix isn't really great anymore (Netflix is fine though, it's fully supported by the processors in the TV), but the Sony processors need a lot of data to work with so MKV, MP4 etc. are really bad to look at, haven't tested X800 though - but the QDeo chip on my Philips high-end blu-ray player doesn't have power enough to both clean up MKV and then upscale to 4K, QDeo 4K upscaling works awesome for blu-ray discs though. I'm on the look out for The House Jack Built, haven't ordered it yet. I'll probably dump the $60 for Venom 4K (wife and son want that movie) and Battleship 4K first, sigh... ;)

edited March 23
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - Did you enjoy the movie? I really enjoyed it and would give it an 8/10. Did you watch "The House That Jack Built" yet?
    Ok, gave it another check - I'll definitely order this in a few days, thanks - love the box - and Dillon, Thurman and especially Bruno Ganz (he played Hitler in Downfall as you may know).

Image result for house jack built blu-ray

edited March 24
    Finished the last 4K movie borrowed from a colleague tonight - I did not really like this one, it's probably 4/10 - especially because I could have played Shadow Legend instead, sigh ;) 

I did not feel any Ridley Scott magic in this movie - I believe Scott's name is on the front primarily to trick persons like me to watch this movie. Felt like old wine in a new cheap bottle, Ex Machina was head and shoulders above this. Morgan was directed by Ridley's son Luke, and Luke could have a great future with some more practice, but this movie - even in 4K with HDR - wouldn't be worth more than $5 to me. Well $0 right now, I don't think I'll ever watch it again ;) No Dolby Atmos on this one either, but the sound was quite good. For this movie I don't think 4K is important - get the blu-ray instead (which has the same DTS-HD Master 7.1 audio). 

The movie was done in 2K and upscaled to 4K, the image quality is OK, but Fantastic Four 4K + HDR was a lot better - even though both movies are upscaled from 2K. FF + Morgan were interesting excursions in image quality due to both being fake 4K confirming that fake 4K movies may be quite different in quality. The Revenant was so much better (shot in real 4K). 

• Epona0000Epona0000 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    RedRizla said:

Overord a 5/10 from me.

@RedRizla @RuneSR2 I loved Venom.. "Pile of bodies, pile of heads"... very organized.
  • alangrinalangrin Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Bumblebee
    This was a breath of fresh air, really enjoyed it considering I wasn't a fan of the other transformer movies
    edited March 28
    Mailman arrived and I'm all set for the weekend, not the most intellectual movies though :blush: (House Jack Built pre-ordered, won't arrive over here before April 3rd)

Maybe silly to get Venom limited edition steelbook ($40 like Lone Echo, sigh), but I like the cover and to support the industry to some extend. Furthermore, while I may have been slightly wrong about VHS (and DVD and blu-ray :blush: ), I'm totally confident that semi-rare 4K movies will only gain in value and be worth a trillion in the year 2060! :smiley:

It does worry me that Samsung has given up on 4K movies, I better buy some more, double sigh...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/02/15/samsung-quits-4k-blu-ray-player-market/#4bcb60be1577

Right now 4K blu-rays may be way too expensive, but hard to forget once you start to notice the difference. I probably should just have sticked with 2K movies (upscaled to 4K), have saved a lot of money and never known what I'd miss. But that would be boring :D

BTW, while Pineapple Express is an old movie, it should be particularly awesome in 4K:

"Stunning." Without having any previous experience with the movie, having neither seen it nor reviewed either of its previous Blu-ray releases, the immediate reaction to Sony's 2160p UHD/HDR Blu-ray is one of awe, awe at the image's robustness, stability, and even and endlessly attractive filmic veneer. Grain is constant and evenly distributed, gorgeously textured and a key in bringing a true cinematic flavor and experience to the home. Detailing underneath is nothing short of a revelation. Rogen's brown sports coat is particularly impressive, reveling fine stitch work, seams, and tiny flaws in every scene. His car interior, and Franco's character's home, are treasure troves of little details. Whether grime on the seatbelt, wear on the dashboard and steering wheel, or the definition with which tiny little trinkets in the home are revealed even as background details is amazing. Likewise, facial textures are precise and highly revealing even in medium shots. Very fine pores, facial hairs, and other skin textures are remarkably lifelike. 
    https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pineapple-Express-4K-Blu-ray/145675/

Who cares about the story in a movie if the 4K images are amazing?  B) (Then again Pineapple Express is quite funny - highly recommended!)

Do you have to watch the other Transformer Movies before watching Bumblebee? Anyone know?
    RedRizla said:
    Do you have to watch the other Transformer Movies before watching Bumblebee? Anyone know?
    No you don’t. Bumblebee is a prequel. 
    Digikid1 said:
    RedRizla said:

So what order is it best to watch Transformers in?

They're robots in disguise!!!!!

:D :D :D

RedRizla said:
    Digikid1 said:
    RedRizla said:

I would say in the order they were released....except waych Bumblebee first. 

All of the Transformers movies are great despite what others are saying. 
    Well if that spoiler is the plot then it's a bit pointless watching it now @snowdog.
    edited March 29
    Digikid1 said:
    RedRizla said:
    Digikid1 said:
    RedRizla said:

I would say in the order they were released....except waych Bumblebee first. 

All of the Transformers movies are great despite what others are saying. 

Michael Bay delivers in spades - some of the greatest movie effect ever made. I never had a problem with the stories, seem to fit the cartoons nicely. I'd recommend watching the 3D versions if possible (movies 3 to 5 were made in 3D). In 2017 The Last Knight was one of the few movies to be shot in real 3D:

It probably won't matter much watching Bumblebee before or after the 5 Transformer movies (also most of us will be watching it after ;)). I'm getting that movie too - it's out on disc May 13.

Bumblebee is a 3D movie, but it seems no blu-ray 3D will be available - maybe it's not that bad, having not to choose between 3D or 4K kinda reduces my long list of first world problems  :|

@RuneSR2 - Why is there no 3D, if it's a 3D movie?
    RedRizla said:

My guess is that few persons buy 3D blu-rays these days. Normally I'd be one of the persons only buying 3D blu-rays, but after getting into 4K on a large tv I have a hard time seeing myself going for 3D instead of 4K + HDR. And you can't buy a new 3D TV, I guess 3D at home is dying, sadly. 

edited March 29
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:

My guess is that few persons buy 3D blu-rays these days. Normally I'd be one of the persons only buying 3D blu-rays, but after getting into 4K on a large tv I have a hard time seeing myself going for 3D instead of 4K + HDR. And you can't buy a new 3D TV, I guess 3D at home is dying, sadly. 

They should still do it for people with 3D projectors. I'm surprised this movie isn't in 3D, if it was already a 3D movie.
    edited March 29
    BTW, these are upcoming 3D blu-ray movies arriving this year (some text in Danish), maybe not a complete list - unfortunately no Bumblebee - corresponding to searching for Bumblebee 3D on Amazon:

For 3D it seems like we need to go to the cinema - maybe that's a good thing, could make me support our local cinema a lot more :-)

"The 3D looks dazzling in this movie.This movie has some mighty impressive 3D imagery. The movie has incredible 3D depth and pop outs. This film has one stunning 3D scene after another. The movie opens on the Transformers home planet Cybertron and it looks beautiful in 3D.  Another scene with reflections on a window in the Sector 7's base is especially strong in 3D. Finally, one scene inside the video game Pong is especially interesting to see in 3D. There was one scene that didn't work in 3D, an establishing shot of the full moon in the night sky. The moon was completely flat, and it was jarring to see it in 3D. Besides that moment, everything 3D related is stellar. Travis Knight knocked it out the park regarding the 3D element of this movie. The 3D aspect of Bumblebee is very strong, and I can highly recommend it."

https://www.3dor2d.com/reviews/bumblebee-3d

A nice thread for those mourning the death of Bumblebee 3D BD  B)

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=306409

Quote: "Paramount don’t want our money. Will buy this used for 2 bucks"