New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Films Thread

Comments

• alangrinalangrin Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Flushed Away (2006) - 9/10 Fun to watch from start to finish with loads of funny little jokes that always manage to hit the spot. 
    Fast paced, superb animation and very humorous with plenty of slapstick visual gags, one liners and clever use of product placement. The story is simple and a bit dated now and the ending was a bit of an anticlimax, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,576 Valuable Player
    Here's some Avengers: End Game hype!

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,108 Valuable Player
    I'm going to have to catch up on the Avengers series of films, I think I've only seen the first three!!! :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,701 Valuable Player
    edited April 27
    Just bought 2 more 4K steel books - actually I'm not much into steel books, I just liked the cover art a lot better. And limited editions always work for me :blush:

- also bought this potential gem, I've never seen it, it's from 1982, but it's real 4K and 7.2 on IMDB:

Trailer does look interesting:

I guess the movie can be seen as an opening act for the upcoming Netflix show "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" which will be released later this year:

But back to the movie, it's great to see such old classics getting the royal treatment with Dolby Atmos, 4K, HDR and enhanced colors - image quality should simply be state of the art: 

"A movie like The Dark Crystal would seem to be an ideal candidate for a 4K/HDR release. Here's a movie that was shot on film; is full of richly and carefully constructed costumes, creatures, and set pieces; and features some bold use of intense color intermixed with some fairly bland, dreary backgrounds that would allow said color to really shine. And, indeed, shine the UHD does. The 4K imagery is striking. Grain retention is even and continuous. It's very flattering and complimentary, ensuring a perfectly filmic and startlingly sharp image. Textural qualities are breathtaking, a significant leap forward even from the companion release Blu-ray and especially the 2009 release, not to mention any number of previously released lower resolution and cable broadcast versions absorbed during childhood, for those who were around to watch it way back when. The UHD is an absolute delight, a near total revelation. Fine textural wonders abound in practically every scene. It's not only sharpness of dirt terrain and rocky surfaces but also the sheer intimacy with which all of the creatures are revealed. Complex costume details and significantly deep and dense character parts abound. Every character in the movie appears new, with an endless supply of tangible, tactile definition to enjoy, particularly on the variously grotesque Skeksis but also the smoother, less complex, but no less wondrous, Gelfling characters. A few inherently soft edges are visible here and there, but the textural brilliance, raw sharpness, and overall image intimacy are wonderful, miraculous, even. 

The HDR-10 color palette is almost as impressive. The absolute highlight in the movie is the crystal, a large, purple-glowing object that presents with a dazzling sense of pure depth and brilliant vibrancy, particularly as it's offset against a fairly dank, dreary locale with a dearth of additional colors to get in the way. Natural greens dazzle, bright white lights near film's end are brilliant, and various support colors in places that are home to them, such as inside Aughra's lab, offer pleasing depth and accuracy. Even dark gray and black surfaces hold very accurate with satisfying nuance. Black levels offer impressive depth and shadow detail. Overall image drawbacks are few and don't warrant much more than a passing mention. There's obvious wobble in the opening titles and closing credits and the UHD resolution makes already shaky optical effects all the more disagreeable; a mountain vista seen at the 30:47 mark is one of several examples. But such are inherent to the source and not particularly bothersome and certainly not enough of take anything away from an otherwise brilliant UHD that easily ranks in the top handful of releases in terms of raw image clarity, and the HDR color isn't bad, either."
    Source:  https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Dark-Crystal-4K-Blu-ray/195134/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,601 Volunteer Moderator
    The Dark Crystal is a classic Jim Henson movie. It's basically children's horror, it's a pretty dark movie, but also great. It certainly has a different look and feel to Sesame Street and The Muppet Show. His next movie, Labyrinth, continued the dark theme, but was a bit more kid friendly (some comedy, some cute characters and singing, compared to The Dark Crystal's serious and kind of grotesque designs) .
    I saw The Dark Crystal when I was about 10 or 11 and parts of it scared me, but I loved it.

If you haven't seen Labyrinth, try that one too. David Bowie rocks as the goblin king.

edited April 27
    kojack said:
    The Dark Crystal is a classic Jim Henson movie. It's basically children's horror, it's a pretty dark movie, but also great. It certainly has a different look and feel to Sesame Street and The Muppet Show. His next movie, Labyrinth, continued the dark theme, but was a bit more kid friendly (some comedy, some cute characters and singing, compared to The Dark Crystal's serious and kind of grotesque designs) .
    I saw The Dark Crystal when I was about 10 or 11 and parts of it scared me, but I loved it.

If you haven't seen Labyrinth, try that one too. David Bowie rocks as the goblin king.
    I've seen Labyrinth a few times, have the DVD - it's also out in a new glorious 4K HDR version: 

Image result for labyrinth 4k version

Not sure I'll buy many of these old movies again, somehow feels like buying very old wine in brand new bottles. This user review from IMDB convinced me to buy The Dark Crystal - and the review more or less sold the movie to my 11 year old son  :D

"The Dark Crystal is a fantastic film made by Jim Henson. It truly is one of those movies that prove what a genius he was, and that his genius stretched past Kermit and Big Bird. However…I always have mixed feelings about this movie.

[...]

This movie is a visual feast. It is absolutely amazing what Henson managed to do with the muppets and the worlds he created. As many have said it is even more amazing to see it in comparison to today's CGI and advanced special effects, and appear superior. The plot is also solid, with lots of meaning and spirit. However…I personally always found the film difficult to enjoy. As a child this movie gave me horrible nightmares, as it did for many other people. This is probably high on the list of traumatizing children's movies! So parents be forewarned, this shouldn't be shown to children under age 8, or even those a bit older who scare easily. In fact, adults can still find many aspects of this film disturbing, including scary characters, music, voices, and actions. One of the most disturbing aspects is how the skeksies would suck the "essence" (soul) out of podlings, drink it to prolong their own youth, and then make the podlings into slaves. As an adult I can look past the scary parts to recognize how well the film is made and written, but I still find it difficult to enjoy. That aside, it's definitely worth a watch."
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

The Black Hole is another one of the dark kids movies I used to love, but watching it on DVD actually hurts the experience. For anybody that doesn't know it, it's a Disney scifi movie that has a lot of stuff that really isn't suitable for children. But when I was 6 I had coloring books of it, sticker books, a 33rpm record of the movie audio, etc.
    The problem is that the DVD and above have such a clear picture that the wire work used for the flying robots and anti grav stuff becomes glaringly obvious.
    Otherwise still an awesome scifi movie. It's gotten a bit of a resurgence on places like Imgur due to the recent black hole photo.

Maximilian is still the scariest robot in any scifi movie. Well, the Saturn 3 robot was pretty messed up, but Maximilian wins.

edited April 27
    kojack said:
    The Black Hole is another one of the dark kids movies I used to love, but watching it on DVD actually hurts the experience. For anybody that doesn't know it, it's a Disney scifi movie that has a lot of stuff that really isn't suitable for children. But when I was 6 I had coloring books of it, sticker books, a 33rpm record of the movie audio, etc.
    The problem is that the DVD and above have such a clear picture that the wire work used for the flying robots and anti grav stuff becomes glaringly obvious.
    Otherwise still an awesome scifi movie. It's gotten a bit of a resurgence on places like Imgur due to the recent black hole photo.

Maximilian is still the scariest robot in any scifi movie. Well, the Saturn 3 robot was pretty messed up, but Maximilian wins.

Dr. Reinhardt and Maximilian are awesome, I've got the DVD - saw that movie in my childhood too and always loved it. Even got the comics, like:

Image result for black hole disney comics 
    Image result for black hole disney comics

That movie would be great to have in 4K + HDR, havent checked if it's available or coming... 

Update: Just checked, seems like only the DVD is available. 

My 33 album. :)

Oh, I just had an idea... hang on a minute...

Ok, I just found a Maximilian mesh on the net and converted it to Oculus Home format. Scale is roughly right (he's about 1.93m apparently).

Wasn't sure where to post this but technically it's a film so here is good enough, it's fucking hilarious lololol

:D :D :D

Makes me want to go out and film random buildings.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Zenbane said:
    Here's some Avengers: End Game hype!

Seems like some of the old comic art collectors also went to see the movie - here's a quote from the ComicArt-L e-mail discussion list  :D

"Don’t know if this was already mentioned but don’t wait through the credits this time. No extra bits at the end. Oh, and make sure you go to the bathroom before, this is a long one."

kojack said:

My 33 album. :)

Oh, I just had an idea... hang on a minute...

Ok, I just found a Maximilian mesh on the net and converted it to Oculus Home format. Scale is roughly right (he's about 1.93m apparently).

BTW, if you want to know how the story continues you need the comic books - did you know of the ultra-rare #4?  (There're 4 books in total published in 1980, I think the first two contain the same story as the movie) B)

Hmm, I see two things in that pic that didn't survive the movie.
    A 4K restoration of The Shining is on the way.
    It's going to be at Cannes in a couple of weeks, then probably a release sometime later.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,576 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Seems like some of the old comic art collectors also went to see the movie - here's a quote from the ComicArt-L e-mail discussion list  :D

"Don’t know if this was already mentioned but don’t wait through the credits this time. No extra bits at the end. Oh, and make sure you go to the bathroom before, this is a long one."

It was epic. That's all I will say for now.

I saw it Sunday morning and then watched the Game of Thrones epic Battle at Winterfell Sunday night. I am literally emotionally drained from these two film experiences! lol

A very rare moment in film history to get a truly legendary experience from two massive franchises in the same timeframe. I highly recommend that anyone who likes these franchises experience both films in the same 24 hour period.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    RedRizla said:
    If you like your Zombie films, I just watched Train to Busan. I don't usually like films with subtitles that's why I've never watched it up until now. I'm glad I did though because it's an all action Zombie movie and has great reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Train-Busan-English-Subtitled-Gong/dp/B01MS6I4YJ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Train+to+Busan&qid=1555914261&s=gateway&sr=8-1

It just arrived from Amazon UK - seems like the zombies took a bite or two first, but luckily the disc is in perfect shape  :D

Looking forward to see it later tonight!

Ok, Train to Busan wasn't 10/10 in my book, but it wasn't bad either. I'm thinking 6/10 would be fine - I never really felt much excitement, similar to Black Summer. Train to Busan seemed too nice - it needs more gore and gruesome happenings. The plot was quite intelligent though (but South Korea does have highest IQ in the world - IQ average about 107 - that why the have Samsung and HTC  B) ), and maybe the movie would be better for teenagers, like my 15 year old stepson. 
    I did connect with the father trying to get his daughter to Busan, and the actors did perform great - but having seen The House That Jack Built, Train to Busan felt more like a nice walk in the park  :D  
    Upscaled from 2K bd to 4K using the Marvell Qdeo video chip the image quality felt like true 4K - actually even better than American Made (the 4K disc version) which I saw just before seeing Train To Busan. Sound was great too. All in all a nice movie that just needed some more gore and truly horrifying ultra-violence  ;)
    I'm thinking an American version could be awesome - like "Train To Bakersfield" (starting in L. A.)  :D

The best zombie movies are still Return of the Living Dead 1 & 2. :)
    I might have to give that a watch tomorrow, saw it on the US Netflix the other day.

I watched Bird Box on Netflix s few days ago and really enjoyed it, trailer here:

I also watched Circle the other day which was awesome, loved it:

B) 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,706 Valuable Player
    @RuneSR2 - Yes, I'd go with a 6/10 for Train to Busan. It's really difficult finding a movie that is 10/10 because there's so many crappy movies about now. I liked some episodes of Black Summer and think the best was episode 2 that was mainly in a car. The guy driving that car really made me laugh at times and he was my fav character in it.

I think it takes an age between films before I come across a good one. The House That Jack Built was a good film and a refreshing change due to the fact it made me wince :D

I'm trying to think of another film I really enjoyed and something like Schindler's List springs to mind. Have you seen that film? It's an old one made in 1993 and at first I thought I'd be put off because it's made in Black & White. After watching it though I thought it was better in Black & White rather then done in colour. I think I've seen most movies in this thred, but going to have a look in case I've missed any.

What films have you seen that you would rate a 10/10?

RedRizla said:

Redline (the anime, not the crap american one)
    Robocop
    Top Secret
    Alien
    Aliens

Just off the top of my head.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,706 Valuable Player
    @kojack - Yeah, I really liked Alien I think it's the only Movie I've watched about eight times. I really like war films too and Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, The Deer Hunter & Apocalypse Now stood out as the best imo. Talking about Alien though, I also really enjoyed the movie Pitch Black and the follow on movies to it.
    edited May 7
    RedRizla said:
    Talking about Alien though, I also really enjoyed the movie Pitch Black and the follow on movies to it.

I'm a big Riddick fan. I've got:
    - Pitch Black
    - Chronicles of Riddick
    - Chronicles of Riddick : Dark Fury (animated, by the creator of Aeon Flux)
    - Riddick
    - Escape From Butcher Bay (game)
    - Assault on Dark Athena (game)

Plus I've got a pair of Ulaks. :)

The games are by StarBreeze, who now own the enterprise VR headset StarVR.
    (I wish they'd go back to scifi games)

There's not many 10/10 films for me:

Monty Python's Life Of Brian
    Monty Python's Holy Grail
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Star Wars
    Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back
    Airplane
    Muppets Christmas Carol
    The Wizard Of Oz
    Alien

That's about it for me I think.

edited May 7
    Hmmm, 10/10, not sure I'd rate any movie that high - but my favorites may be:

Alien(s)
    ET
    Blade Runner
    Der Untergang (Downfall)
    The Shining
    The Thing
    Her
    The Exorcist
    Predator
    Lord of the Rings trilogy
    The Deer Hunter
    Gladiator
    No Country for Old Men
    Jaws

Runners-up: Matrix trilogy, Avatar, Ghost in the Shell (anime), Guardians of the Galaxy and There Will Be Blood. Going to see Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse this weekend, I have high hopes for that movie. Eyes Wide Shut is one of my favorites too - because I think most of us watch that movie with our eyes wide shut  ;)

RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - Yes, I'd go with a 6/10 for Train to Busan. It's really difficult finding a movie that is 10/10 because there's so many crappy movies about now. I liked some episodes of Black Summer and think the best was episode 2 that was mainly in a car. The guy driving that car really made me laugh at times and he was my fav character in it.

I think it takes an age between films before I come across a good one. The House That Jack Built was a good film and a refreshing change due to the fact it made me wince :D

I'm trying to think of another film I really enjoyed and something like Schindler's List springs to mind. Have you seen that film? It's an old one made in 1993 and at first I thought I'd be put off because it's made in Black & White. After watching it though I thought it was better in Black & White rather then done in colour. I think I've seen most movies in this thred, but going to have a look in case I've missed any.

Did see Schindler's List, but I wasn't that thrilled about it, although it's not bad at all - but I think Der Undergang (Downfall) is much better when it comes to WW2 movies. Black Summer E2 was the best episode - if only they'd kept that energy going :) Bird Box and A Quiet Place were great too.  

Have just watched The Invitation about a guy and his girlfriend being invited to dinner after his ex has been away for a couple of years following the death of their son. It was excellent.

• alangrinalangrin Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    In Bruges, probably my 3rd time of watching since release (2008) - excellent casting (and i even include Colin Farrell within that) a must watch if you've never seen it.
  • AfflosparkAfflospark Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Here is 10/10 list of my watched movies on Netflix
    1. the shawshank redemption
    2. now you see me
    3.  the dark night
    4. Avenger endgame

You feel trouble to find new movies on Netflix then you can follow this decent article How To Find New Movies On Netflix

Gladiator is also a good movie but I can't give 10/10 to that.
    Thanks...

edited May 12
    Saw Spider-verse this weekend, even in 4K HDR with all the bells and whistles. I love the books, but somehow this movie didn't really catch my interest a lot - it never got really exciting, but also it wasn't boring, sound was great though (Atmos). Not sure if it's 6/10 or 7/10 to me - but definitely not 9/10...

First I thought that I somehow got a bad copy - felt like I was watching the 3D version without glasses, but apparently that's how the movie looks.