New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Official Films Thread

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,108 Valuable Player
    Here is 10/10 list of my watched movies on Netflix
    1. the shawshank redemption
    2. now you see me
    3.  the dark night
    4. Avenger endgame

You feel trouble to find new movies on Netflix then you can follow this decent article How To Find New Movies On Netflix

Gladiator is also a good movie but I can't give 10/10 to that.
    Thanks...

Welcome to the forums!  :)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,701 Valuable Player
    Just saw this one with the family:

Image result for bumblebee 4k
    Not bad, but definitely not "the best Transformers so far", I'll probably rate it 7/10. Image quality is quite crisp even though it's fake 4K and you get really close to 22-year-old Hailee Steinfeld :blush: - so you can see every pore in her skin ;)
    Special effects were nice, but I miss Michael Bay. It isn't really Transformers without Michael. The story was fine for kids, my 7-year-old son could watch it and liked it a lot. It's a nice prequel for Bay's movies, but little more than that. 
    I'd rate it 7/10, probably 6/10 if it isn't 4K. HDR effects weren't stricking in this movie. 

This review of image quality is spot on:

"Bumblebee was digitally photographed, reportedly at a resolution of 3.4K, and finished at 2K. The image offers a noticeable, if not fairly standard, UHD boost to textures and colors over the excellent Blu-ray that make this the definitive home video version of the film, but not necessarily a top-end reference image or a significant leap from 1080p. Human skin details -- pores, hairs -- are more complexly visible, tactile, more easily and readily defined. Environments are appreciably more dense and detailed as well, including the wooded area seen during the paintball exercise that opens the film's story on Earth, Charlie's home, the carnival grounds, or the garage where Charlie spends much of her free time. The scrap yard area is of particular note, where rusted old cars and boats yield a heathy increase in detail over the 1080p image. The digital effects are polished, too, with the upscaled 4K resolution showcasing the various moving parts with a clarity and precision the Blu-ray cannot quite find. The increase in total image sharpness yields a wonderful presentation that plays very well at the larger aspect ratio, effectively pulling the viewer into the film's 1980s man vs. machine world. "
    https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bumblebee-4K-Blu-ray/222812/

Sound (Dolby Atmos) was great - I liked hearing some of the old tunes from the 1980s again. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited June 1
    Found this one on sale for $16 and saw it yesterday:

Image result for dark tower 4k

First half was awesome, maybe even 9/10 in my book, but last half I'd rate 6/10 - total of 7/10 - but also due to awesome photograph-like image quality, life-like colors and HDR in 4K. Seems like they lacked the funding to make a truly great ending. The movie reminded me of The Never Ending Story and maybe also of  Harry Potter. My 11-year-old son rated the movie 8.5/10.  None of us have read the book. The movie is 5.7/10 on IMDB, but I think this dude got it right :-)

Critics Got This Wrong
    gt223506 August 2017
    My wife and I went to see this movie last night. This is probably the only review I've done in the past 30 years and that's because I believe this was "UNFAIRLY REVIEWED BY CRITICS", so I'm hoping you'll give this movie a shot after reading what I have to say. 

I almost didn't go because the movie review in USA Today newspaper only gave it one star. Some of the user reviews here didn't seem very enthusiastic about the movie either. I'm 67, retired, and a King fan (I've red The Dark Tower books). My wife is 70, retired and not a King fan (she hasn't read any of the Dark Tower books). Just to provide some additional perspective some of the movies we've seen so far this year and how we rated (in chronological order) The Founder 5, A Dog's Purpose 5, John Wick Chapter 2 5, Logan 6, Kong; Skull Island 7, Beauty and the Beast 7, Power Rangers 5, The Fate of the Furious 8, Guardians of the Galaxy 2nd Vol 8, Pirates of the Caribbean 4, Wonder Woman 9, The Mummy 5, Spider Man 6, War for the Planet of the Apes 8, and The Dark Tower 8.

I was worried standing in line to see the movie so when the previous show got out I started asking people (must have been close to 20) if the liked the show. (Would have asked more except my wife was feeling a little embarrassed.) Everyone said a hearty "Yes" except for one couple who shook their heads and said, "It wasn't like the books" and gave it a thumbs down. After that I was encouraged and looked forward to seeing the movie. I figured most of the critics were slamming it because it didn't follow the books closely. Frankly, from what I've seen, King books have always had a tough time being translated to the big screen. 

Although this movie didn't follow the books "right on" the main gist of the plot and characters were there so I wasn't disappointed. Contrary to what some other critical and user reviews have said, the plot was cohesive, well thought out, and had similarities to the book. The acting was very well done all around, the action was excellent and was not jittery or blurry. It's easy to connect to the characters and the emotional points of the plot.

I started with a list of movies we've seen and how we rated so you can compare how similar, or not, your ratings were to put in perspective how likely you'd be to enjoy this movie. I wonder if critics and some users go to movies for reasons different from ours. We just want to see fun, entertaining, well acted movies that have been filmed and directed by good professionals. The ONLY ding we could give this movie was that it wasn't done in a manner similar to "Lord of the Rings" where it's carried out over 3 films with greater detail and depth. That might have been better, but maybe not. Regardless, I wish critics would at least rate movies like this with 2 stars as long as they're fun, well done and entertaining. There's no way this was a one-star film.

Unless you really need the movie to follow all the outline and plot of the books, I'm extremely confident you'll enjoy this movie. It's well worth going to the show to see. You'll like it!

This movie was actually real 4K - I just checked - I'm so happy, because I didn't know for sure when we saw it, but I was extremely impressed with the image quality. Seems like I'm starting to be able to really see real 4K vs. fake 4K, and that's often no easy task  B)

Again the movie nerd* *cough!* movie enthusiasts say it better than I can:

"The Dark Tower's UHD release supports Dolby Vision. Unfortunately, we are not currently capable of reviewing Dolby Vision but are researching equipment options and will be upgrading in the near future. As for the basic 2160p/HDR10 component, it's a winner. Big time. The image boasts serious upgrades over the Blu-ray, particularly in terms of its textural excellence. The movie was reportedly shot at resolutions of both 3.4K and 6K and finished at 4K, so this is a "true" 4K release rather than another generic upscale. There are moments, and chapter 14 serves as a very good example, where the image matches, if not surpasses, most everything else on the market, whether shot digitally or on film. Facial definition is off the charts intimate and complex, and while some might make a case that there are times it appears a tad overly sharp, there's no mistaking its inherent richness and density. Viewers will see every single bump, pore, scar, and bead of sweat with definition that really cannot be beat. Even considering the digital photography, the movie plays with a very filmic quality about it. It feels big and bold as textural intricacies become commonplace, sharpness abounds, and the movie becomes a wonder of 4K excellence. Even Jake's hair looks amazing, both considering its shapely density and its individual strand detail. Environments are sharp as a tack and revealing of every small surface detail, whether inside Jake's apartment or, late in the movie, a gun shop. The HDR color palette offers a modest boost to overall saturation. Colors enjoy a slight, but crucial, uptick in density and vibrancy, appearing more real and occasionally even leaving otherwise pleasing and even punchy shades on the Blu-ray looking a bit dull by comparison. Black levels are strong and flesh tones appear perfect across the spectrum. No noticeable encode or source anomalies are present, and even noise is muted. This is a fantastic UHD picture that's amongst the finest the format has seen, if not right there at the very top."
     https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Dark-Tower-4K-Blu-ray/184297/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

After watching Joshua get battered I've taken my pills and started to watch The Perfection on Netflix.

Am almost 40 minutes in and it's horrific lol :open_mouth: :D

I don't mean that as it's a bad film, I mean that as it's going to give me bloody nightmares lmfao. I'm usually pretty good with horror films but this one is pretty gross lololol  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

snowdog said:
    After watching Joshua get battered I've taken my pills and started to watch The Perfection on Netflix.

Am almost 40 minutes in and it's horrific lol :open_mouth: :D

I don't mean that as it's a bad film, I mean that as it's going to give me bloody nightmares lmfao. I'm usually pretty good with horror films but this one is pretty gross lololol  :D

Awesome - I'll  watch that tonight - can't be worse than a house built by a dude named Jack :D - In fact I'm not even going to watch the trailer below - no spoilers  o:)  

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:

Yes never sleep on a Mexican

umm

never mind”
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    The rest of the film was pretty tame but

Bugs freak the ever living FUCK out of me. :blush:

vannagirl said:
    Yes never sleep on a Mexican

umm

never mind”

Thanks for the heads up - phew that was close! - I'll kick her out instantly! 

Image result for miss mexico

Please feel free to point her in my direction, although I might have to lower my standards. B)

edited June 5
    Hmm, I'm considering pre-ordering this one, anyone seen it?

undefined

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,706 Valuable Player
    edited June 5
    Saw the film Us and what a pile of crap that was. I was really looking forward to seeing this because it had some good reviews. I won't be choosing Rotten Tomato's anymore for reviews if this is what they consider a good film. 

@RuneSR2 - I will be watching Pet Cematary at some point so let us know what you think if you decide to buy it.
    edited June 5
    RedRizla said:
    Saw the film Us and what a pile of crap that was. I was really looking forward to seeing this it has got some good reviews. I won't be choosing Rotten Tomato's anymore for reviews if this is what they consider a good film. 

@RuneSR2 - I will be watching Pet Cematary at some point so let us know what you think if you decide to buy it.

"Us" has some nice reviews, thanks for the heads up, I always though the trailer didn't look that interesting. Pet Sematary isn't out on 4K blu-ray before August (19th I think), so I still have some time to read reviews. 

Just pre-ordered this, but it's mostly for the kids:

Shazam

It doesn't happen often, but I think this movie is 10/10 in my book. It's Terminator done right, even if the limited budget shines through here and there:

edited June 12
    I'm going to watch film this but I hate watching trailers. You might as well not watch the film if you watch the trailers. Sadly, I have fallen for watching this trailer because you didn't say what film it was @RuneSR2 :/

The bit I saw basically tells me a part of what happens now. I just think trailers are spoilers and I don't now why they give the films away.
    edited June 12
    RedRizla said:
    I'm going to watch film this but I hate watching trailers. You might as well not watch the film if you watch the trailers. Sadly, I have fallen for watching this trailer because you didn't say what film it was @RuneSR2 :/

The bit I saw basically tells me a part of what happens now. I just think trailers are spoilers and I don't now why they give the films away.

I normally feel the same way - but for this movie I did watch the trailer. It does give something away (of course), but this movie is special. For me watching the trailer didn't ruin much - but we can discuss that when you've seen the movie ;)

Actually I saw the first 30 min, then watched the trailer - and then saw the rest of the movie one day later. (It was getting late the first evening, didn't have time to finish watching the movie.)

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,605 Volunteer Moderator
    Trailers should be banned from showing footage from the last 2 thirds of a movie.

Ones that always pissed me off were the Terminator 2 trailers, they all revealed
    That arnold was the good guy and robert was the evil one.
    The movie was set up so that would be a surprise (early surprise, but still), but the trailer focused on it.
    edited June 16
    @RuneSR2 - I just watched "I am Mother" and I thought the film was great. Good recommendation and it gets a 7/10 from me. I really like a film where I don't become bored and constantly look forward to what's coming next.
    I'm looking forward to my Qled television next week to start watching some 4k.
    edited June 16
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - I just watched "I am Mother" and I thought the film was great. Good recommendation and it gets a 7/10 from me. I really like a film where I don't become bored and constantly look forward to what's coming next.
    I'm looking forward to my Qled television next week to start watching some 4k.
    Nice, I don't like claustrophobic movies basically taking place in one location - so I had to watch the trailer to see if they ever got out, lol. Did you notice the 13,867 days and the meaning of that? ;) I did watch the movie on the Sony 85" with awesome colors and enabled motionflow (using wireless surround headphones with 50 mm drivers), might have led me to a higher rating than I'd normally give - I felt very close to the actors, could see every detail in their skin and more, and the sound was awesome. I guess presence isn't just a thing for VR, lol. 

I think I added 2 stars for the 13,867 days and their meaning B)

@RuneSR2 - I don't think so. Why what did it mean? Put it in a spoiler alert in case other don't want to know. Let me know a.s.a.p :)
    edited June 16

RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - I don't think so. Why what did it mean? Put it in a spoiler alert in case other don't want to know. Let me know a.s.a.p :)
    Ok ;)

13,867 days are 38 years - the age of the woman entering to complex. She was the first one raised by Mother. Number 2 was killed - she wasn't smart enough. Number 3 is the main character. 

There're only 2 persons alive on the planet - the first one got a memory wipe - Mother set up everything from the start. Nothing was left to coincidence. This fact completely changes the content of the movie for me - and it makes sense, you're up against an artificial intelligence way beyond what the human mind can comprehend - of course Morther didn't sleep - and heard everything - and planned everything - and was constantly ahead. 

All those corn fields - way more than a few persons can eat. Mother probably has many facilities for raising new humans, and it all begins now. 

I like this one from IMDB:

Warning: Spoilers
    The biggest plot twist which would explain the entire movie is given out right in the beginning and verified multiple times throughout, then again at the ending.

• The '13867 days since extinction event' in the opening sequence indicates 38 years have past. Yet the daughter shown was only a teenager. That's because the women from outside was the 1st daughter ever... let me exlpain:
    • During the middle of the film when the current daughter takes the exam + discovers that the robot mother had lied and killed 'failed' children before, it shows that her label is APX03, and APX02 have failed (incinerated), but 3 embryos were used from the lab... get it?
    • The women from outside was APX01, the first "daughter", she matches the 38 years old timeline. Remember the robot said to her in the end "wonder why you survived this long out here as if someone had a purpose for you? Until now" Because she is the ultimate test to see if APX03 is truly ready to take on the role as mother for a new generation of humans (she returned hence passed the test so the robot left her alone). The women's memory was clearly altered/erased, that's why she totally couldn't respond when the robot said "Tell me... Do you remember your mother?"

Some more details... 1. The women sunk into a state of confusion when she saw the tonight show playing, and said she used to watch it a long time ago - her vague memories from living in the facility. She would never have seen it if she was out there for the whole 38 years. (Due to the end of civilization) 2. The women was meant to find the facility at that moment, everything was planned, including the bio suit, which obviously didn't need to exist otherwise. 3. This is speculation, but the women's artistic abilities might've been her training as a child. Remember the current daughter started prcating dancing since a young age? The robot recognized the importance of art and tries to incorporate that into each daughter's education.

I created this account cuz I couldn't stand how many morons are saying negative things about the movie... including critics, sadly.

edited June 16
    PS - and maybe this one - yes, I'll stick to my 10/10 rating  o:) ;)

Warning: Spoilers
    ***SPOILERS***

First I'll address some of the bad reviews and then I'll write a general review with some side-rant :)

The people who rated the movie poorly seem to have either not watched the film or lack some sort of basic intelligence. Most of the plot holes, issues or thing that "wouldn't happen" we're justified/justifyable. One person said that the robot was too dumb in the film and that real AI wouldn't be that dumb. Clearly that person failed to realize that everything that happened was the robot's intent. So if everything worked as the robot had intended, how does that make the robot dumb? The robot literally said to the woman in the shipping crate that she no longer served a purpose to her (the robot). As I was watching the film, I figured one of the scenarios was that the whole thing was a test for the girl and that in the end the girl passed. The robot's ultimate objective is to create a better human, one with ethical, moral, psychological and emotional superiority.

General Review: The movie is quite a good sci-fi movie. As a massive sci-fi fan myself and as an Aeronautical Engineer (specifically space related), I am both educated on some of the things presented in the film and interested in what is presented in the film. Obviously some of the things in the film are indeed science fiction, but nothing in the movie that I saw was impossible (great movies skate the line between fiction and reality, makes it more believeable). From start to finish, you, the viewer, are constantly debating who to trust, the robot or the human. The writers did a good job and allow the viewer to be warmed up to the robot and present the more human side of the robot. I think this is critical in helping develop the story because you need to trust the robot and if the film went straight into the action you wouldn't trust the robot at all. So after a brief introduction I'd say that as a viewer, myself, I was about 50/50. This lays the ground for the rest of the film. So as your human side and logical side battle , the movie continues to provide information that keeps you conflicted. As the movie goes deeper you begin to piece things together and the picture becomes more clear. At this point, where things click, you are beginning to see the moral dilemma (similar to the one provided in the film, now writing this and fully realizing, the film goes from a 9 star to 10). The human race is the dilemma. You have two choices. You can choose to not wipe out humanity and humans will continue to suffer or you can wipe out humanity and build a better human kind so that there is a greater benefit in the long run (think thousands of years, also related to Utilitarianism and lots of other ethical shizz). For example (similar to the film's logic), imagine 8 billion people in current times (somewhat discontent) vs. 8 billion people who are smarter, more ethical, more kind, more rational, etc... That would be a damn good world. This is the dilemma the audience arrives at as the film reaches it's climax. The robot is trying to build a better world at the cost of the old world. Is this ethical (there is no "right" answer)? The fact that they included the robot teaching the girl ethics confirms this idea. I thought it was strange that the robot was teaching this girl (presuming the character is supposed to be a teenager, but the actor is 21) such detailed ethics at a young age. In the film they mentioned Kantian ethics and such. Anyways, the whole idea of the film is sort of like arguing whether or not Thanos is a bad guy. From many ethical perspectives you can say that Thanos is actually in the right and from just as many ethical perspectives you can say the Avengers are the good guys. There honestly is no wrong answer, in my opinion. That's why I think this film was such a great film because it was so much more than a surface-level sci-fi film. All of the people who rated the movie bad didn't understand the underlying point of the film. These people just want a lazy movie that tells them what to think. I love movies that allow you to think for yourself and actually force you to do just that. The movie says (not literally): "create your own ideas", which is important in a society where people are constantly telling you how to think.

edited June 16
    The number did have me confused to be honest, but when I found out the other girl had been terminated, I just thought it must be her and this teenager was a new human in the present day. I didn't think to add the number up or I would have realised it was the older woman from outside. Damn I must be silly to not pick that up, did you pick it up straight away?

RedRizla said:
    The number did have me confused to be honest, but when I found out the other girl had been terminated, I just thought it must be her and this teenager was a new human in the present day. I didn't think to add the number up or I would have realised it was the older woman from outside. Damn I must be silly to not pick that up, did you pick it up straight away?

No, but I did think it was odd with that number - so I googled it, and got some help. It all made sense and completely changed the movie for me. Great AIs don't make mistakes B) This way I think the movie is Terminator done right :) 

Just watched it and loved it. Can't believe that actress is 21 though :o

This one just arrived from Amazon UK - now I just hope I haven't already seen it. lol. 

It was an impulse purchase, The Hateful Eight is one of my favorite movies, I wonder if these movies are connected, at least there's something about numbers... and guns...  B)  6.9 on IMDB, haven't even seen the trailer  o:)

Watch the original instead, miles better!!!

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,074 Valuable Player
    Something for the weekend?
    gotta be worth a watch
    R.O.T.O.R

Review here

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited July 3
    Just pre-ordered this one - trailer looks awesome, IMDB 7.5, $170 mill budget, written by James Cameron:

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,605 Volunteer Moderator
    Amazon tv in australia finally added The Big Bus, one of the great spoof movies from 1976 (like Airplane! but 4 years earlier).

It's stupid and dated, but damn that actual bus is awesome. :)
    edited July 8
    RuneSR2 said:
    Just pre-ordered this one - trailer looks awesome, IMDB 7.5, $170 mill budget, written by James Cameron:

Just changed my pre-order to the 4K Steel Book - the steel book looks so much better (click to enlarge):

Reminds me so much of Bioforge - maybe my favorite game of all time together with Lone Echo: