New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

My Dog Peed on my Rift Headse

xBLesSDxBLesSD Posts: 3
NerveGear
It dried and It reeks. It’s on the plastic and all in the stretch Lycra surround the lenses. The little A**hole wandered into the room and decided to mark them as his own. I know the lenses are delicate and have only tried a tiny drop of dish soap for the Lycra. Did nearly nothing. Is it possible to remove the Lycra and put it back? The smell is rancid and he literally lined up the entire nose portion and let er’ Rip. Any ideas? 

Comments

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,135 Poster of the Week
    That would piss me off.

And no, the fabric isn't removable.  I think your best bet is multiple cleanings to try and dilute the pee and then soak it up with a paper towel.
    Might be worth contacting support, doubt it's covered under the warranty.  Or your homeowners or renter's insurance.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,843 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 10
    The only way I can see you fixing this is to use a dog urine neutralising agent, one of the ones that are enzyme based as they don't contain harsh chemicals. There are plenty on Amazon, the enzymes break down urine crystals. Prepare a LARGE bag of rice in a container that can be made airtight, spray a generous amount on the affected area, on a DISCONNECTED rift wait for a few seconds and place in the rice immediately. Close the container. Do not take out for at least 3-4 days. The rice will extract any moisture out of the headset including the dissolved urine crystals and lock it up.

This will void your warranty and can potentially break your rift so at your own risk.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,479 Valuable Player
    Miracle's Nature is the name of one of the enzyme based cleaners.  Part of the process involves leaving the item in the sun while the chemicals break down the piss.  So you'd probably have to cover the lenses or they might get damaged by the sun.
  • xBLesSDxBLesSD Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    The only way I can see you fixing this is to use a dog urine neutralising agent, one of the ones that are enzyme based as they don't contain harsh chemicals. There are plenty on Amazon, the enzymes break down urine crystals. Prepare a LARGE bag of rice in a container that can be made airtight, spray a generous amount on the affected area, on a DISCONNECTED rift wait for a few seconds and place in the rice immediately. Close the container. Do not take out for at least 3-4 days. The rice will extract any moisture out of the headset including the dissolved urine crystals and lock it up.

This will void your warranty and can potentially break your rift so at your own risk.
    Well at this point it might as well be broken since it’s unusable In this state. That’s a lot of info, Thanks for the in depth instructions. At the same time that sounds like a lot of work with no guarantees. 

You think there is a tape that would be safe to use to mask the lenses? Im
    thinking it would be a lot easier if can just scrub the S out of the Lycra with a brush and those solutions you recommended if I don’t have to fret about getting any on the lenses. 
  • w_benjaminw_benjamin Posts: 134
    Art3mis
    I've seen videos of the headset being broken down for walkthroughs.
    You might be able to disassemble it and get at all the components that need cleaning. (I suspect there's pee way down deeper than just at the surface.)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,877 Power Poster
    Bloody hell, I think I'd bite the bullet and buy a new one rather than having even the possibility of dog wee anywhere near my mush  :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • SimonNQSimonNQ Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    snowdog said:
    Bloody hell, I think I'd bite the bullet and buy a new one rather than having even the possibility of dog wee anywhere near my mush  :o
    I agree, they are pretty cheap at the moment... You would also get some extra sensors etc..
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,802 Valuable Player

I've been looking at all sorts of cleaning options... dry-cleaning... dry-ice cleaning... I can't find anything that wouldn't either put the lenses or the electronics at risk.

Try a masking agent first but if I was in your position I think I'd take Snowdog's & SimonNQ's advice and look at a replacement. Pet urine seems to be one of those substances that doesn't really go away.

Having said that, if you do decide on a replacement, I guess there's nothing to lose from looking at some teardown info, dismantling the thing and going industrial with the cleaning.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+Rift+CV1+Teardown/60612

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,877 Power Poster
    Probably best to wait a couple of weeks if deciding to buy a new one, I can see Oculus announcing a price cut to $299 at OC5.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,741 Volunteer Moderator
    £379 in the UK and dropping, thats for the Marvel pack ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • danybonindanybonin Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    ahahah... sorry but its funny. Is your dog an VIVE fan?
    core i7 5930k @ 4.4ghz
    nvidia titan x pascal
    16GB ram
    asus pg27uq
    oculus cv1 4 sensors on usb3 on 5 distinct usb controller
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 677
    Neo
    edited September 15
    danybonin said:
    ahahah... sorry but its funny. Is your dog an VIVE fan?
    Obviously a rifter wanting him to invest more in Oculus <3

99.9% invest and spend more money on the brand they love. Some walk up upon John Lennon alikes.
    Im just guessing but still quite sure the dog belongs to 1st category.
    Be good, die great !

Edit: Don't do the same with the wife... result could be worse.

Oh sooooooo true ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    CrashFu said:
    If you can't get an RMA on it  (definitely ask support, just in case) and the above cleaning methods don't work, shoot me a private message;  I have an extra rift system and I might be willing to work something out in terms of a replacement headset.
    Post of the year award
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,088 Power Poster
    Best thread ever!

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Plus 1....... @cybereality please watch mate ;)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,088 Power Poster
    All hail the great CrashFu.

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • xBLesSDxBLesSD Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I haven’t had the time! I’ve been slammed at work recently. I should have some free time this week to try the ifixit tutorial. My dog has peed on lots of my things so I know how difficult pee smell is to get off. That would be crazy generous CrashFu I don’t think I would let you do that lol. What’s RMA?  
    A return merchandise authorization if Oculus authorise sending it back, somehow I think they'll steer clear mate.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,651 Oculus Staff
    Well, pet accidents usually aren't covered under warranty, but it doesn't hurt to put in a support ticket to ask.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV