New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Windlands 2 - reviews and opinions

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 438
Trinity
edited September 12 in Games and Apps
The first reviews have arrived:

1: https://uploadvr.com/windlands-2-review/

Final Score: 7/10 – Good

Windlands 2, when at its best, is a delight to play. Swinging through the air with friends, rhythmically grappling between trees, and feeling the rush of adrenaline as I arc across the sky — all while shooting my bow into the distance — is an unrivaled joy in VR. There’s a great foundation here, but it could have been so much more. It’s just a shame that it doesn’t have the execution to fully live up to its potential.

I believe the reviewer makes the great mistake of comparing Windlands 2 to "what it could have been" instead of comparing to other games in the genre. And the reviewer does write that Windlands 2 "is an unrivaled joy in VR". "An unrivaled joy" means that no other game does it better - indicating reference status, and that smells like 90+ % to me. We'll see in some hours...

2: https://www.roadtovr.com/windlands-2-review/

SUMMARY
'Windlands 2' offers up much of the original's high-flying, death-defying heights and puzzling platforming that made the first in the series such a success, but now offers co-op combat and a genuine story to its rolls. The story, while pretty simplistic, uses classic gaming tropes that aren't hard to swallow, but consequently leave little aftertaste. The lack of any penalty for dying leeches some of the excitement of killing the world's titanic bosses, although in the end, 'Windlands 2' competently sets the stage for a larger, more epic dive into the evil that destroyed the world. Looking past some of the smaller blemishes, what remains is a beautiful, and difficult platformer that promises more fun yet to come.  
Gameplay: 8 | Immersion: 7.5 | Comfort: 7.5

I'm not sure I'm going to agree with the ratings - in the Oculus Store Windlands 1 now has an average rating of 90 % based on more than 300 ratings. And reading the reviews, I get the feeling that the reviewers like Windlands 2 better than the original. Destructoid did their best to kill the original by awarding it a rating of only 6/10 - while writing: "Windlands is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. From the uplifting soundtrack to the thrill of jumping around in first-person and grappling like a maniac, it's a fun experience." Again, such praise doesn't really sound like a 6/10 to me. Maybe we should just multiply the review score from professional reviewers by 1.5 - then we may get the right score  ;)

Furthermore none of the above lackluster reviews mention hardware requirements - do we need a 2080 to run the game or is a 970 enough? Will it run on Granny's laptop? What about super sampling and other graphics' settings? 
Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 438
    Trinity
    edited September 12
    Strange - I've pre-ordered the game - now it's completely disappeared from the Oculus Store - link is dead:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1087949831298664/

Searching the store only the original Windlands game is found... Weird... 

Maybe it'll be back soon...
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 677
    Neo
    Tested for you. It shows up in the search field, but clicking it only leaves me with the whole of the search.
     No Windlands 2 for now ..
    Be good, die great !
    Trinity
    edited September 12
    It's working now  <3

3GB download - time to put the kids to bed  ;)

Some in-game pics to ease the download waiting time:

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 677
    Neo
    Yeah works here again as well .... Strange

Be good, die great !
    Trinity
    edited September 12
    Whoa - THAT was awesome  <3

Of course I've only played for about an hour, but this game beat my expectations - it just shows that you simply cannot judge a VR game by its 2D trailer. For now my review is:

Maybe I pushed things just slightly with the words "best VR game ever", but right now my top 3 would be Lone Echo, Moss and Windlands 2 - and I'm not joking. If the devs can keep up this quality to the end, I'm simply amazed.

But the devs completely destroyed the fun I had yesterday playing Windlands - there's just no way I'm playing Windlands if I can play Windlands 2  ;)

Now to the reviewers at Uploadvr.com and Roadtovr.com, I think their bosses need to talk to them and suggest job changes... 

BTW, Windlands 2 supports up to ss 2.4 in-game. Now why would the devs do that if it impossible to get better image quality in the Rift than ss 1.5? ;-) Alright, I'm not trying to start a great ss discussion here, Windlands 2 is just the first game I've seen officially supporting ss 2.4 (personally I think it's hard to see any diff beyond ss 2.0 using the CV1, but I haven't investigated it thoroughly).

Windlands 2 should work perfectly in 90 fps on GTX 970 - 1060, maybe even using ss 1.5 and 2x antialiasing. I don't think you need a fast processor for this game - I'm suspecting the devs haven't pushed the amount of polys beyond what the PS4 can chew  ;)

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 11,539 Power Poster
    I own part 1, but I sucked at it. Bad. I couldn't do any of the effortless swinging that I saw on other Lets Play Vids. Not gonna bother at all with part 2 lol

Looks cool tho.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,441 Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks to reddit (it feels icky just saying that in general), I found out that if you already own Windlands 1 you can get 2 cheaper.
    The price for me is $46.99au for Windlands 2, but the Windlands 1 + Windlands 2 bundle pack is $33.49au if you already own W1. Nice.

Trinity
    edited September 13
    Zenbane said:
    I own part 1, but I sucked at it. Bad. I couldn't do any of the effortless swinging that I saw on other Lets Play Vids. Not gonna bother at all with part 2 lol

Looks cool tho.

Much the same here - just completing the original Windlands level 2 (although it's a big level) was a real pain and a steep learning curve - especially activating Gate 2 on level 2 took me quite an effort to figure out - I kept dying. And I'm afraid of heights :blush: And doing precision jumping is damn hard. Read in a review that Windlands was a great game only for VR veterans. Still I love that game, eventually I got the hang of it - I think it has improved my acrophobia ;)  

In Windlands 2 - when starting the game - you get a warning that those without VR legs should take a break every 5 minutes.  

In Windlands 2 it feels like the designers have learned much from Windlands - at least in the beginning of the game doing your Spidey swinging is easier than I remember it. But the boss fights aren't that easy. Then again you've got a fun bow much like in "In Death" - Windlands 2 could easily be my favorite bow experience. But I still haven't tried Sacralith.  

For those thinking that I'd been drinking before I wrote my extremely positive Windlands 2 review, check out the current rating - it's a pure 5/5 based on 14 ratings. Let's see where this goes ;-)

Forgot to show the Feature Trailer, it's this one:

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 157
    Art3mis
    Man, I so want to buy this!!! But I'm not sure I really want to spend 30€ on it... on the other hand I don't want to wait for sales xD!
    RIP My previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300 HD @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).
    Owner of an Oculus DK2 and an Oculus CV1.
    Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop in Google Earth or Skyrim, or Virtual Desktop).
    Trinity
    Man, I so want to buy this!!! But I'm not sure I really want to spend 30€ on it... on the other hand I don't want to wait for sales xD!

If you really don't like the game, you probably can get a refund. Waiting for a sale may take some time, I guess, and maybe it's just 5€... I wouldn't wait - and I didn't ;)

Trinity
    edited September 13
    Latest news :-) Now there're 20 ratings - and the average rating is still (prolonged drum roll) 

Still waiting for a one star review, like: "Ate my pizza, played a lot and then my pizza came up again - I HATE this game"  :D

Trinity
    edited September 13
    I've long enjoyed Oasis' reviews - here's his take on Windlands 2:

Soruce: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9eytoh/windlands_2_review_written_video/

Quote:

"I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Windlands 2. I sunk in just over 6 hours into the singleplayer campaign to completion. However I only collected 26 out of the possible 120 collectible items. Multiplayer and searching for the collectibles adds a lot of end game replayability [...] The feeling of speed and momentum with complete freedom is unparalleled. Swinging yourself up high, soaring though the air, firing off an arrow into an enemy and hooking onto the next hold is possibly one of the most satisfying mechanics in VR  [...] I can guarantee you'll feel more like Spider-man than ever before, swinging through the Windlands. Windlands 2 in my opinion is one of the best VR titles of the year so far and I wholeheartedly recommend you go check it out."

I've played up to just after the first boss battle so far.
    I think my one real complaint is that I'd like a way to swing instead of winch. I'd like to grapple onto something and just swing at a fixed length, or winch it up, my choice.

It's pretty cool though.

Trinity
    edited September 13
    I do think the first boss is too hard and may deter some newcomers from playing the game - maybe. But at least it's not like Iudex Gundyr in Dark Souls 3, because in Windlands 2 you don't get to start all over again when you die.

I may already have died a 100 times - but it doesn't matter, it's an awesome game/experience. If there's one thing I could say to the game developers when I put on the HMD and start the game, it would be :D  

Art3mis
    If you really don't like the game, you probably can get a refund. 

I guess I could ^^. Oh, well, screw it, I'll take it xD!

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300 HD @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).
    Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    edited September 14
    RuneSR2 said:
    I do think the first boss is too hard and may deter some newcomers from playing the game - maybe. But at least it's not like Iudex Gundyr in Dark Souls 3, because in Windlands 2 you don't get to start all over again when you die.

Yeah, I found that part a bit frustrating. The first boss having an insta-kill beam weapon and having to swing all the way over just to reach it. :(
    At least it didn't reset it's damaged parts after each of my deaths.

I know it wouldn't fit the story/setting, but I feel mechanically that a gun would be better than a bow in a game about swinging combat. Grappling to a tree and firing off some shots with a pistol would be cool. Trying to use a bow with both hands while also swinging is annoying, I ended up just hanging below a tree shooting arrows, but of course I was then a sitting duck for the beam attack.
    The gun mechanic would definitely fit in with the swinging, since you are already trained to use the grapple guns the same way. Aim and fire with one hand while swinging with the other.

I like the heaps of configuration options. The dial that controls standing or seated was cool. :)

Art3mis
    'kay, after one hour playing this game, I've gotta say it's a HUGE HIT! It's terrific! And I'm roughly at 10% after 1 hour, so I'd say the game could be 7 to 10 hours long (although that's just an early estimation).

I do think the first boss is too hard and may deter some newcomers from playing the game - maybe.

That spider is annoying indeed xD! But did you fight against it on your own? I think it was meant to be battled in multiplayer. I had a rough time against it as well, but only because I was all alone (and it would insta-kill me right when I would arrive xD!). But in multiplayer, one player can get its attention and the others can just shoot from behind. It really doesn't seem that hard this way.

I feel mechanically that a gun would be better than a bow in a game about swinging combat. 

It would be easier, and as awesome. But you know, I think it's really a matter of experience ^^. Sure it is hard to shoot while grappling (actually, you can't do both at the same time), but you can definitely fly around, switch to bow, aim and shoot while in mid-air.
    That said, I do wish there were more weapons. I would love a blade to fight close-range.
    Also, that may be only because I'm at the beginning, but I feel like it could have more enemies. I really want to use that bow.

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    Trinity
    edited September 14

That spider is annoying indeed xD! But did you fight against it on your own? I think it was meant to be battled in multiplayer. I had a rough time against it as well, but only because I was all alone (and it would insta-kill me right when I would arrive xD!). But in multiplayer, one player can get its attention and the others can just shoot from behind. It really doesn't seem that hard this way.

Exactly - in 4-player coop the spider may be easy and it's designed to be hit from 4 sides, but I battled it on my own. In a perfect world, the difficulty should adapt to the number of players, but maybe all get to battle the same spider... That boss did kill me in so many great ways (getting laser-vaporized was just ... beautiful <3 ;-) - I guess the game could use this logo, lol

I think it's cool to hang in a tiny thread while still being able to shoot the bow. It makes the game more difficult than using a gun, but I like that challenge (maybe it feels more Tarzan-like too, lol).  

Also it seems you can speed up by pulling your strings/hooks - I noticed that pulling my Touch controller fast above my head towards my back could cause a nice speed up (but I have to be very careful, the wife really likes the ceiling lamp, already hit it twice :# ) - so there may be many ways to optimize controls that may take a lot of training. 

Trinity
    And today's math:

((26 * 5) + (1 * 3))/27 = average rating of 4.93/5 = 99%  :o <3

Trinity
    If I should criticize the game for one thing it would be how quick you must be to shoot the bow to open gates. The gate with 10 seconds to shoot 10 windows was hard - at least for me - and today my shoulder still aches.

Also this game simply requires 360 degrees tracking, I'm even considering getting a 4th sensor now, because when the action gets really intense and I've got no idea where I am in the play area, I have experienced a few tracking issues (then again even a 4th sensor might not help when standing in a corner...). 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,027
    3Jane
    RuneSR2 said:
    Also this game simply requires 360 degrees tracking, I'm even considering getting a 4th sensor now, because when the action gets really intense and I've got no idea where I am in the play area, I have experienced a few tracking issues (then again even a 4th sensor might not help when standing in a corner...). 
    I thought this game could be played seated?
    Trinity
    edited September 15
    MowTin said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    I thought this game could be played seated?

It can - you choose standing or sitting just after launching the game. Yesterday I decided to sit down after some complete play area disorientation causing me to physically meet a few real-world walls :blush: 

But I don't like sitting in this game - it doesn't feel right, I'd only recommend sitting for some tasks or for brief periods of time. 

According to the devs you should be able to play seated using 2 sensors, but swinging will be (very) hard and I don't think the game will work well - compared to standing + 360 degrees. 2c.

Art3mis
    I battled it on my own. In a perfect world, the difficulty should adapt to the number of players
    I knew it xD!
    Well, I can't argue with you, the difficulty should change depending on the number of players in game. But I guess for an indie group it may sound more like a chore than a need.

If I should criticize the game for one thing it would be how quick you must be to shoot the bow to open gates. 
    Oh God, these gates, they're so annoying! But then again... in multiplayer it wouldn't be that hard  :D .
    That said I do have one advice for these doors : shoot a slow arrow first, and then shoot quickly. That way you can basically shoot two boxes in a split second, almost at the same time. You spare almost one second (and that's a precious time when doing this sh*t :) ).

Now, if I had to mention one flaw of the game too, I would say this orange smog in the second part is ugly as hell. Not only does it block a wonderful view, it's also... well, disgusting to look at. After 3 hours, I really prefer the graphics from the first game. The colors were better as well.

Also, the level design can be shit sometimes. Like, there is this boss in the desert where some cactus (which you can normally grab) are off-stage. As a player, you see a cactus, so you try to grab it, but (surprise!) it pushes you away because you're not supposed to grab it. There's nothing worse than gameplay elements not used for the gameplay.

Also, not really a flaw but... I didn't know orange juice could OHKO xD! Seriously though, what is this orange fluid?

Also this game simply requires 360 degrees tracking

I don't know, I play in 180° and never have to turn 360 myself. You've just gotta be quick on the stick :) .

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    Trinity
    LuluViBritannia said:

shoot a slow arrow first, and then shoot quickly. That way you can basically shoot two boxes in a split second, almost at the same time. You spare almost one second (and that's a precious time when doing this sh*t :) ).

Also this game simply requires 360 degrees tracking

I don't know, I play in 180° and never have to turn 360 myself. You've just gotta be quick on the stick :) .

Awesome - I'll try that ;-) And impressive if you can play this game sitting with 2 sensors - then again I'm using HMD directed forward movement and my real-world legs tend to walk causing a lot of disorientation, so persons like me really need 360 degrees tracking, lol.

Trinity
    edited September 16
    Also I just wrote and published a review of Windlands 2 (trying to stimulate VR adoption o:) - or to show the pancake crowd what they're missing out on >:) ) - but the review is in Danish (for all the Scandinavians in here ;-) 

I ended up rating the game 96 % (I only give such high ratings when I consider a game to be the best - or close - in its genre):

http://www.hardwaretidende.dk/hard/artikel/18/09/16/1794237

Art3mis
    And impressive if you can play this game sitting with 2 sensors

Ah, actually I'm standing ^^. Also, my sensors are high so I can turn around without losing tracking (not a full 360, but I do turn and move a little).

So, about those gates... Did you get to the one in the third map? Because that one, I'm pretty sure it's impossible in single player xD! Though I haven't tried much, because once I got there, I said "screw it I'm out".

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    Trinity
    edited September 17
    And impressive if you can play this game sitting with 2 sensors

So, about those gates... Did you get to the one in the third map? Because that one, I'm pretty sure it's impossible in single player xD! Though I haven't tried much, because once I got there, I said "screw it I'm out".

Yes, I'm having great problems with that one - actually I wrote to the devs yesterday, Jon Hibbins thanked me for the feedback (whatever that meant - so God knows if they are going to change it). But they must know about this issue? Feel free to contact Jon here, the more complaints the better ;-) 

http://www.psytecgames.com/about-jon-hibbins/

Or maybe I just have to become one with my bow (and the arrows) :blush: to become a true modern age Robin Hood... (I haven't played for 2 days due to my sore shoulder, but I'm ready again - just need to read the manual below, lol)

I've been training my grip and how fast I can shoot arrows, because that gate requires no mistakes and then some... But slow and fast arrows - I gotta train that too, sigh  ;)

Maybe they did make those gates to force some lone wolves to meet  :D

Or maybe I should just ask Lars Andersen over for some tea.... He can shoot 3 arrows in 0.6 seconds (=fastest in the world) and hit the target(s), hmmmm....

BTW - it would be awesome with a Teslasuit for this game: <3

As long as the kids or the wife don't have visitors over while I'm suited up - I guess Teslasuit + Rift HMD could look just slightly like a modern Pulp Fiction Gimp and the VR room already is placed in the basement  :#

Art3mis
    Hey there, I just found out another trick for those "nightmare gates" (as I like to call them). Did you notice the arrows don't disappear right away if they don't hit a valid target? They disappear only after 2 seconds. Bear that in mind.
    - Lose the gate challenge once. The targets will become purple for one second, right?
    - While the targets are purple (or once the countdown is down to 1, right before it becomes purple), shoot one with an arrow. For this specific gate (in the third map), I'd shoot the little one on the right or the little one above. The arrow will stick to it and destroy the target by itself once it becomes blue again.
    - In the mean time, aim at another target and shoot it. If you get the timing right, the two targets can explode at the same time. Then, you'll have a full 13 seconds too hit the 13 remaining targets ^^.

Basically, after losing once you tick a first arrow which will explode in 2 seconds, and during those two seconds you tick another arrow towards another target. So you don't have to bother with the very first target you chose anymore, as the first arrow will take care of it automatically (which, at this point, is a huge gain xD).
    After that, you "just" have to hit each target in less than a second, and don't miss a single one. Easy xD.

About Teslasuit, thanks for sharing! This kind of device really seems amazing, but at this point, it's clearly not at consumer level sadly... Also, this specific company looks shady. I would like to see actual results of what they accomplished, but the few reviews on the net show strictly nothing... Damn I wish I could try out this stuff xD!

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    Trinity
    edited September 17
    Hey there, I just found out another trick for those "nightmare gates" (as I like to call them). Did you notice the arrows don't disappear right away if they don't hit a valid target? They disappear only after 2 seconds. Bear that in mind.
    - Lose the gate challenge once. The targets will become purple for one second, right?
    - While the targets are purple (or once the countdown is down to 1, right before it becomes purple), shoot one with an arrow. For this specific gate (in the third map), I'd shoot the little one on the right or the little one above. The arrow will stick to it and destroy the target by itself once it becomes blue again.
    - In the mean time, aim at another target and shoot it. If you get the timing right, the two targets can explode at the same time. Then, you'll have a full 13 seconds too hit the 13 remaining targets ^^.

Basically, after losing once you tick a first arrow which will explode in 2 seconds, and during those two seconds you tick another arrow towards another target. So you don't have to bother with the very first target you chose anymore, as the first arrow will take care of it automatically (which, at this point, is a huge gain xD).
    After that, you "just" have to hit each target in less than a second, and don't miss a single one. Easy xD.

Thanks - I'll give it at try this evening, although I'm quite sure that the devs never intended it to be that hard ;-)

Sigh, maybe I'm getting too old for these games - just saw this review, he must've been playing on super-easy difficulty, it took me much more time to defeat the first spider :blush: (jump to 6:40)

The dude floats like a butterfly in the game (I'm starting to feel like a mammoth with tiny bee wings) - there's no way that this is the first time he's playing the game! 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,027
    3Jane
    RuneSR2 said:Sigh, maybe I'm getting too old for these games - just saw this review, he must've been playing on super-easy difficulty, it took me much more time to defeat the first spider :blush: (jump to 6:
    He says he's playing it on "spicy difficulty." I think he's playing on hard.