New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Rift Extreme Jittering

OstinyoOstinyo Posts: 7
NerveGear
edited September 12 in Oculus Rift + Touch
I've been having an issue for the past two months where every now and then my vision will be jittering (intensely shaking/vibrating side to side) both while playing games and while in Oculus Home. It seems to start and go away randomly, but usually sticks around for at least a few hours. I've noticed that well optimized maps/low player counts in VRChat seem to run fine, so it seems the issue is GPU or CPU related, but it could also be a hardware issue.

I have updated to the latest NVidia driver and tried switching to Oculus Home 2.0 Beta, but nothing has improved my situation. I have no monitoring software running.

Relevant Reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7u7nne/new_rift_with_jittering_headset_issues/

Details:
NVidia GeForce GTX 1070
Intel Core i5 3550
16GB DDR3 Ram
No overclocking

I'm likely going to end up purchasing an i7 soon in hopes that it will improve my situation.

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,843 Volunteer Moderator
    Your sys specs look okay, what windows version are you on?, Ram, is it XMP overclocked?, what background apps are you running? Any GPU tweakers/monitoring apps? ANy motherboard apps such as ASUS AI? etc?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • OstinyoOstinyo Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Your sys specs look okay, what windows version are you on?, Ram, is it XMP overclocked?, what background apps are you running? Any GPU tweakers/monitoring apps? ANy motherboard apps such as ASUS AI? etc?
    I updated my specs to include ram (16GB). I'm not doing any overclocking and am not using any GPU/CPU monitoring apps.

I'll post a screenshot of my background apps when I get a chance.
  • SimonNQSimonNQ Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Have a look in your system tray and see if you have an y software running that wants to send live updates to the screen. An example is something like a mobo temp sensor package or bandwidth monitor, pretty mush any program that changes the taskbar icons or updates them etc..... Anything that updates the screen may take the focus away from the Oculus and cause it to not run properly. I experimented with a network bandwidth program that displayed current usage etc.. Bandwidth Monitor running, stutter galore, off, none what so ever....
    NerveGear
    Attached are my background processes running while I was experiencing this issue in The Forest. I included the items in the system tray- not sure what the blue box is monitoring my CPU, Memory, Disk, and Network usage but I imagine that's a Windows thing since I have no monitoring applications installed.

Processes:

System tray:

Please let me know if you have any hunches, this has really been bothering me and I want to get it fixed asap.
    edited September 15
    Is the webcam a USB device? Unplug it, and close down the software.

What is the runtime broker? Edit: It runs when you run windows store apps., seems okay.

Also, what is the white up arrow?, also while in VR can you click on the performance tab in task manager, and scroll down all the way to the GPU and take a screenshot?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

NerveGear
    edited September 16
    Is the webcam a USB device? Unplug it, and close down the software.

What is the runtime broker? Edit: It runs when you run windows store apps., seems okay.

Also, what is the white up arrow?, also while in VR can you click on the performance tab in task manager, and scroll down all the way to the GPU and take a screenshot?
    The white up arrow is just Puush, I've had it closed before but it doesn't change anything. My webcam is a good point and likely culprit, for some reason it's one of the few things I haven't tried disabling while in VR.
    Also just noticed you have Intel Extreme Tuning service running, are you overclocking anything? Try disabling the service or restoring to defaults for the duration, anything that polls the CPU and GPU constantly can cause stutters.

NerveGear
    edited September 16
    Alright I'll test that out thanks. Unplugging my webcam did not fix the issue.

Here's a screenshot of my GPU's performance:

Edit: Disabling Intel Extreme Tuning seems to have improved my situation, although the vibrating hasn't entirely gone away. I haven't seen it since restarting my computer though so fingers crossed.
  • HamsterenHamsteren Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Hey there

I have had lots of stuttering and like seeing things dobble when turning my head with HMD on. Both in games and in the Oculus Home. It came the other day when i updated to the latest graphics driver, i think it was 399 something.

Yesterday i made a reinstall of Gforce experince and driver 398.82. and now everything is good again!!!

Delete your Gforce experince and go to nvidia homepage and select earlier drivers. Try selecting 398.82. It's a package, also including Gforce experince.

Of course, i cant say that this will help you and your system, but try it out!

As far as i remember The Forest is a quite heavy game as well! I mean cpu and gpu relatet.

Hope you sort it out...
  • HamsterenHamsteren Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Hamsteren said:
    Hey there

I have had lots of stuttering and like seeing things dobble when turning my head with HMD on. Both in games and in the Oculus Home. It came the other day when i updated to the latest graphics driver, i think it was 399 something.

Yesterday i made a reinstall of Gforce experince and driver 398.82. and now everything is good again!!!

Delete your Gforce experince and go to nvidia homepage and select earlier drivers. Try selecting 398.82. It's a package, also including Gforce experince.

Of course, i cant say that this will help you and your system, but try it out!

As far as i remember The Forest is a quite heavy game as well! I mean cpu and gpu relatet.

Hope you sort it out...
    Okay...so now this evening i have stuttering again, so forget all i wrote above...damm

NerveGear
    I recommend disabling Intel Extreme Tuning (XTU3SERVICE) as suggested by LZoltowski. I haven't had too much time to test but so far it seems to be helping.