New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift half black - to long HDMI cable possible?

sCOREscreamsCOREscream Posts: 29
Brain Burst
Hey Rift friends,
I build my Rift system now into my living room, withit I am using now a 10m HDMI cable to the 4m normal Rift headset cable. Now it happens that the left screen inside the Rift is black. Is it possible because of the length of the HDMI cable? I am also using a repeater between (without power supply, cheap thing). I thought maybe I have to many connections (computer to 10m HDMI to repeater to Rift). Could it be better if I use only the 4m Rift cable + 4m HDMI cable (would be enough I know now). Additional you need to know if I disconnect the HDMI cable and reconnect it, Rift works for few minutes normal, that it turns back to a "left-eye-black screen", right eye (screen) is working normal.
Hopefully it will work with a shorter cable.
Thanks for help!

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
    You can test it by not plugging the rift to any extension cable and to see if that works first. To eliminate any issues with the Rift.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • sCOREscreamsCOREscream Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    Good idea, thanks LZoltowski. Will try it. Do you think it could be the HDMI calble? If it isn't working correct, is their any chance for repair?
    Brain Burst
    I have my Rift now about a year and played a handfull of games, but after one year I dont think the Rift should be broken. How long do you have your Rift? Or how many Rifts are damaged since you started?
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
    Have had mine for 2 years and a bit, no issues.

Try just plugged in without any extension cables, so that you can troubleshoot properly.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Extension cables can be a hit or miss, and are not reliable. I actually use 3 meter extensions myself, but I know people here that have purchased the same cables as I have and they didn't work.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    First of all - you guys are great, awesome to see after a year member of the rift community the helpful people are still around - thank you guys!
    I have now tested the Rift without the HDMI cable. Playing "the Unspoken" for 20min worked like normal, so it looks like it is the HDMI cable. I've already ordered a shorter one, but will need to wait to Monday or Tuesday to test it. Hopefully it will work better - its horrible to see the sensors and the Rift in my living room but I can't use it :-) - but as soon as the new HDMI cable is here I try it again - thanks friends !
    Brain Burst
    Hey there, I've used now two different HDMI cables, both were not working, the third one is now working. Looks like Lone Echo, the Unspoken, A-tech Cybernetics and Farlands working normal (tested right now) - but in Robo Recall, as soon as I start the mission the left screen in the Rift stops working and is getting black. Right screen is still works normal. If I restart the Oculus Software everything works again normal. What can be the problem? Some graphic settings? Thanks for help
  • XevyrXevyr Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    When it comes to extension cables, anything above 2m is highly unreliable and depends on the amount of power your specific GPU supplies to the HDMI port, how well the cable conducts.. and so on..  so yes some people may be luckier than others..  I would say the problem you're having is still because of the extension cable, despite working well from time to time. 
    Normally you should always use the shortest extender possible to achieve your goal (avoid excess cable mass) and if you want to extend it waaay more than 2-3m.. you really need to look into what you're buying.. Like super high quality thick cables (24AWG or so) and some high quality repeater / amplifier.
    Alco, maybe try a DVI-to-HDMI adapter directly on your GPU instead of plugging into a built-in hdmi port, that might have a bit more power to dish out and could help you
  • jug007jug007 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    For longer HDMI connections I had luck with an HDMI repeater.
    I currently use a 7,5 meter HDMI cable plus the Rift cable and it works flawless.
    This is the repeater i am using: LINK
    Maybe you can find something similar.
    The cable i used was just a normal fairly cheap one: LINK

Before that I just used a 3 meter cable with a female to female adapter.
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for help. The point I dont understand is why are games like Lone Echo or the Unspoken working, but Robo Recall has the problem with one black screen in the rift headset? Thats crazy.
    I've tryed a 10m cable with repeater this was not working, and 4m without repeater was not working. Now I am on 3m with repeater and it works (not in Robo Recall, but rest of the games atm - will test more the coming days)
    Thanks a lot, alwys helpful people here , thanks gents !!!
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 345
    Trinity
    Something else to try: Put Rift in DVI/Displayport using a DVI/Displayport to HDMI adapter.

I have 3M extention cables (Amazon CableMatters) and they only work using a DVI to HDMI adapter. In the HDMI port, it only works without extension. I have a nvidia 980ti.
    Brain Burst
    Thanks Thmoas, this is exactly one of my next questions. I am using my TV as monitor with DisplayPort and the Rift with HDMI, so I will switch both and test it. Thanks! In hope the DisplayPort has more power.
    I am using a 3m HDMI cable atm and it was working perfect on Lone Echo, yesterday in the Unspoken I had 3 times black screens in the headset. Red Matter also started with problems but was working perfect yesterday. I also added a HDMI-matrix to be able to switch between the TV and a beamer for spectators. Looks so cool, but sometimes it looks like if I switch during a game from TV to beamer I also turns into black screens in the headset.

So I will test today the headset with the Displayport to HDMI adapter and the upcoming days additional with a new HDMI-repeater from jug007.
    Again thanks to everyone for your help and I hope rift users with the same problem/questions can use this discussion to find a solution - thanks gents !!!
    Brain Burst
    With my Displayport to HDMI adapter I get purple pink vetical stripes in both screens in the headset and the screen is little flickering. So I switched back to the normal HDMI slot and again - in the greatest moment of the game Red Matter one of the screen turned black again. Looks like it happens sometimes as soon as in the story is a short dark, black screen moment before the next scene begins. It was horrible, I needed to finish this great game with one eye. I am disappointed. 
    I will get tomorrow a new HDMI repeater, the one jug007 told me it is working at his Rift. Hopefully this will help. Will test it as soon as it arrives. Anyone with another idea, maybe it helps....
    Thanks
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Please contact us for assistance. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    So disappointing: I tryed a minute before the new HDMI repeater (from jug007) with the 3m extension cable and Robo Recall and instantly I lost the left screen in the headset. Its horrible.

Thanks Cyber. I don't think the support is able to help me., because the headset is working without extension cable. So it looks like I need to test more options, I will test on Thursday/Friday a new HDMI extension cable and a new Displayport to HDMI adaptor. If both is not working I will contact the support or give up.
    Brain Burst
    edited October 2018
    Same problem again. I changed the HDMI cable (3m) and the HDMI to Display Port adaptor - and still games like Robo Recall and now Wilsons Heart have black screen in the Oculus Headset after the main game menu...could it be something in the nvidia settings? Maybe its not the cable, not longer sure. Please had someone an idea? Games like the Unspoken, Ethan Carter or Wizards work perfect. What is going on :-(
    Brain Burst
    Hey Oculus friends, me again - I hope the Oculus support team or myself will find a solution so in the future maybe this topic can help someone.
    I can say now ITS NOT THE CABLE, because same problem I have without extension cable. So I think the problem happening maybe because I am using a TV as monitor for my computer in the living room. 
    At the moment I have contact with the support team, and after a "manuel reinstall" (without internet connection and deleting the oculus folders completly and with TV as monitor and extension cable) the headset was working perfectly. So Robo Recall and Wilsons heart were perfect on max. settings for a test phase of around 30min. Few hours later I started my computer again and had the same problems again. So everytime in game in for example Robo Recall turned into a black screen on the right side in my headset.
    I've sent now the support again my Log-Files so hopefully they see a different between my first start were everything worked perfect and the second try were everything turned again into a half black screen headset.
    Thanks Oculus friends, I hope I can tell you soon a solution for this problem

Brain Burst
    edited October 2018
    SOLUTION: Hey everyone - I think I found the solution. First of all big thanks to the Oculus Support Team specially to Oliver !!!!
    I tryed different things and realized the left screen black problem or sometimes completly black screen problem is NOT because of the HDMI cable, the repeater or the extension cable - it is because of the USB 2.0 cable to the headset. I dont know why and how the USB with the headset screens works, I thought it can be only the HDMI because of the screens, BUT the problem is the USB 2.0 cable.
    What I can say in my case, the USB 2.0 cable to the headset works NOT if it is an extension with 5m or more. If someone have the same problem try different USB cables or/and ports of your computer. In my case it looks like it is working now with a 3m extension cable without repeater. I am excited and can't wait to test it with different games if it works now correct. Thanks community, hopefully my topic will be helpfull for the community in the future, thanks friends !