cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would YOU do with a spare Rift setup?

CrashFu
Consultant
Partially wanting advice because I find myself in this situation,  partially just curious what other people would do.

Say you had an entire extra rift bundle on top of the one you're actively using, including touch controllers and a pair of sensors;   Would you sell it to make some quick extra cash (and maybe put some of that towards new VR apps)?  Keep it to use as a back-up if your current system ever goes bad (maybe while putting all of the sensors to use now, so you can have an awesome room-scale setup)?   Save it for a friend or family-member who wants to get into VR?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
12 REPLIES 12

LZoltowski
Champion
Donate it to a charity/hospital. Or if you have time, take it on tour to a children's ward. Giving kids just a few hours of distraction in those places is worth it's weight in gold. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great idea LZ, but fuck that. I'd give it to a mate of mine who's been really great to me for the last 25 years or so. He's been made redundant and just got another job that isn't paying as well as his previous job, and when I brought my Rift to Kent to show him last year he was blown away by it but can't afford to get one himself at the moment.

CrashFu
Consultant
@LZoltowski   -  man, I wish I was in a financial position to give away something so valuable, lol.  But yeah, if I could, giving it to a person / organization that could put it to good use would be awesome.

Though, I wonder how well a hospital could utilize a Rift, especially in the way of entertainment for kids?  I think if I could donate a VR system to a hospital it would definitely be the Oculus Go, since they could just bring it into any given hospital room, hand it to the patient, and.. that'd be the only setup required.  Plus, most of the experiences would be more tailored to those who are completely bedridden, eh?

This does make me think that it would be awesome to have a VR-specific equivalent to the Child's Play charity.  Or like, some kind of yearly fundraiser to donate Oculus Go's to hospitals  (childrens' or otherwise)

@snowdog  -  I hope your buddy gets the chance to have one of his own some day.  Does he already have a VR-ready PC, or is that part of the cost-barrier for him?  If so, I'd again posit the Go as a more practical option.  Mine sure kept me entertained when I was couch-crashing between apartments and didn't even have my PC available!
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Donate it to a charity/hospital. Or if you have time, take it on tour to a children's ward. Giving kids just a few hours of distraction in those places is worth it's weight in gold. 

I assume that is before being wrestled to the ground and arrested?

Nah. Sell it now and put cash aside for santa cruz or next gadget purchase. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

LZoltowski
Champion

I assume that is before being wrestled to the ground and arrested?

Nah. Sell it now and put cash aside for santa cruz or next gadget purchase. 

Not quite, you speak to the administrator or get in touch with a contact from a charity, done it before. (not VR but another event)
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

w_benjamin
Adventurer
I have a second full system that I have specifically so my nephews and I can do coop games. (And when the next gen comes out, I'll get that, build a whole new kick-a** system, and then we'll all be able to play at the same time!! Woo Hoo!!)

Anonymous
Not applicable
@CrashFu He also doesn't have a VR ready PC unfortunately, just an old gaming laptop. If I ever get around to producing a playable demo for my game and am able to join the Oculus Start programme I'm planning on giving him my free Rift. Haven't been able to do any work on it for ages because I'm having a particularly bad time with my depression this year.

CrashFu
Consultant
So, say that your only choice was between Selling or Keeping.  Would it make much sense to sell, knowing that you're unlikely to get more than $300 in an auction, and that you'll lose part of that to shipping fees (likely $15-50) and eBay's cut (10%) and especially if you were planning to buy at least one extra sensor for yourself ($60)?

In the end I figure I'd be looking at like.. a net gain of ~$150 after buying a sensor for myself.  You know what?  I'm really thinking that it would be more valuable to just keep the extra / back-up equipment. I can always give it away to someone later down the road, when I no longer need any of it.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Sad to say, I would put it with my brand new unused DK1 and 2 for prosperity 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.