New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

32GB or 64GB for movie watching?

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,923 Valuable Player
Which Oculus GO would you recommend I get just for Movie watching? 32GB or 64GB?

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,101 Oculus Staff
    Most of the video apps are streaming, in which case you don't need more than 32GB. However, if you think you will be viewing local content (i.e. video files copied to the device from your PC) then 64GB will give you more room to breathe.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 191
    Art3mis
    I stream most of my videos currently but when we get USB drive support I will probably use that as I can just load several movies onto a drive for the night and turn the PC off, I have an OTG splitter in transit so it should allow me to continue using the magnetic micro usb cable and have a spare port for the USB drive, if it works as advertised :)
    Either way 64GB in my case isn't worth bothering with but if you just want to load onto the GO then 64GB maybe your preference
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,923 Valuable Player
    I must be going mad, I totally forgot that Netfix is for streaming content..
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,912 Volunteer Moderator
    Can download on tablets though :) go for the 64gb version, future proof
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
    Art3mis
    Techy111 said:
    Can download on tablets though :) go for the 64gb version, future proof
    Probably the best bet if the extra dollars aren't going to hurt to much :)
    Also, is it like watching movies in 480p,720p or 1080p?
  • DilipDilip Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    geebee666 said:
    I stream most of my videos currently but when we get USB drive support I will probably use that as I can just load several movies onto a drive for the night and turn the PC off, I have an OTG splitter in transit so it should allow me to continue using the magnetic micro usb cable and have a spare port for the USB drive, if it works as advertised :)
    Either way 64GB in my case isn't worth bothering with but if you just want to load onto the GO then 64GB maybe your preference
    Do you watch in home environment or VOID?
    How good is perceived display quality?
    Do you feel eye fatigue after watching full movie? 

Thanks 
    I've watched a 2 hour 19 min movie recently with the void in Netflix, zero eye fatigue and thoroughly enjoyed it. The quality is better than the cv1 and I'd say it's like 1080p. You do notice the pixels but they are sharp and don't interfere with the watching experience, almost zero godrays and using subtitles in Netflix is a joy :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    edited September 16
    I've ordered one but won't get it until Sept 25th because Amazon has sold out. I just hope the material doesn't hurt my face because I will have to return it if it does. You can't get VR Cover for OculusGO, like you can with CV1 :( ..

Art3mis
    edited September 16
    RedRizla said:
    I've ordered one but won't get it until Sept 25th because Amazon has sold out. I just hope the material doesn't hurt my face because I will have to return it if it does. You can't get VR Cover for OculusGO, like you can with CV1 :( ..
    I did not find it very comfortable at first but once you have used it a bit the material softens and stop leaving such a visible red pattern and I now find in very good, my son from day one though it was more comfortable that the Rift.
    I think VR covers are going to release some alternate covers from some comments previous threads.

I use SkyboxVR for everything video at the moment, streams from windows with DNLA.
    I use the the front seat in the cinema area for normal videos, and the middle seat for anime as it allows easier reading of subtitles without moving your head.
    When laying in bed I use void and don't use the head strap I just let the Go sit on my face.
    To me it looks like 1080p but due to the size it is so immersive, last night I went from a 1080p to 720 rip of the same show and the 720 was fine but I could definitely notice a small difference in facial definition in close up shots.

I have a 55" 4k tv and a 40" monitor and I watch all video on the Go currently :)