New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Go is the furthest thing from a standalone device imaginable. Total false advertising.

ryancarmichael321ryancarmichael321 Posts: 2
NerveGear
Oculus Go is the furthest thing from a standalone device imaginable.

The Oculus Go requires you to also buy a very new smartphone.  At minimum, it should be ready to download content straight from the web in order to be a standalone device.  All over the web it's being sold as a standalone device.  How is Oculus getting away with this scam? 

Tagged:

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,204 Power Poster
    You don't have to own a smartphone, just borrow one from a friend or family member. Job done.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 3,994 Valuable Player
    We only used the Dev version that plugged into a PC - does the consumer one need to sync with a mobile??
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,350 Volunteer Moderator
    kevinw729 said:
    We only used the Dev version that plugged into a PC - does the consumer one need to sync with a mobile??

A phone is required for initial setup yes. It is mentioned on the Oculus website at the time of purchase, it is also clearly marked on Amazon. BestBuy etc. The language states "No additional devices are required WHILE in VR. I have friends with 4-year-old phones, quite obscure android ones and it worked fine. As long as the Android version is 6 or above. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,590 Volunteer Moderator
    kevinw729 said:
    You need to use a mobile app to initially tell the Go which oculus account to connect to and wifi settings.

• bill911stonebill911stone Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I've had to refresh the Go, pair a new controller and repair the Go controller over the course of a few months. Those were one-time rare events. Each time I performed one of those 3 tasks, I had to use the phone. Maybe there's another way to do it without the phone but if there isn't, you have to re-borrow a phone if you don't have one. So technically, a consumer may buy the Go without knowing that a phone is required at least during initial setup. If so, technically, the consumer could say the Go is not a standalone device if the consumer buys the headset, goes to a remote location where there is no phone and tries to start using the Go.

But in the grand scheme of things, I consider the Go as a standalone device from a "using it" point of view. The Gear VR, on the other hand is not a stand-alone device because you always have to use something else to make the headset work: a phone. We can move on up the ladder to the HTC Vive which is the opposite of stand-alone.

Side Note: I didn't read the details before I bought the Go so I was surprised to find that I needed a phone to do the setup. If you look at the Go box, it says "requires a phone" right there on the box. But those letters are the smallest letters on the box. I didn't find them until just now when I checked the box to see if the box mentioned "phone required."
    Interesting, thanks guys - well if it is only a (onetime) pairing thing as you are stating, this is no biggy - right?
    I know that the HTC Focus and PICO don't need to do this, but they favour a PC hock-up.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,189 Poster of the Week
    At this point, smart phones are so common it's about on par with buying Ikea furniture and complaining that it doesn't tell you that it may also require a hammer.  It's just a basic tool practically everyone has.  Even little kids have them.  I might even be able to set up the Go using my TV since it's running Android.
    Yep, you only need the mobile around if you want to re-pair the controller, toggle developer mode on/off (in developer mode, a usb cable is used for the android adb program, in non developer mode usb is for using the go as a portable drive) and start a factory reset if you can't remember the button combo (power and volume down for a bit to get into Go's menu).
    I can't think of anything else I've done with it once set up (apart from check battery level without putting on the headset), and I spent 13 weeks with 5 Go's managing 4 student VR dev teams.

About the only every day thing you can't do through the headset without a phone is send friend requests. You can answer them, just not send them. Everything else is on the headset (add new wifi, buy from the store, etc).

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,397 Poster of the Week
    You could literally walk into your nearest drug store or grocery store, buy a cheap prepaid phone (IE a 'burner') and use that.  Don't even need to maintain active service on it, I don't think, as long as it can do a bluetooth connection and you have a WiFi source.
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
    I mean, it is annoying that a phone is needed occasionally, since the Go runs android already.

But it's certainly not "the furthest thing from a standalone device imaginable", when almost all well known VR headsets (besides the Vive Focus) are less stand alone than the Go. :)

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,514 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:

Yes, hence this which you posted.  I thought it was a hilarious mickey-take.  I find it slightly ridiculous that you have to do this to be honest.

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,514 Valuable Player
    TwoHedWlf said:
    At this point, smart phones are so common it's about on par with buying Ikea furniture and complaining that it doesn't tell you that it may also require a hammer.  It's just a basic tool practically everyone has.  Even little kids have them.  I might even be able to set up the Go using my TV since it's running Android.

Yes but it's no good piling on a consumer who has quite rightly pointed out a glaringly obvious annoyance - there were several threads like this when it was released - it's an inconvenience.  "Standalone" is trumpeted while "you need a mobile" is not so well trumpeted.

User experience, and all that!
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,139 Power Poster
    I love the GO but the marketing babble here is bollox with an "always read the small print" attachment. Whilst I like the phone app, It would have been nice to simply connect to wifi within the headset OS for a true standalone product.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    I think this illustrates one of the fundamental problems with OVR currently.

They had a marketing initiative originally that was led on a broken agenda and poor business sense. In removing the management behind this they have not filled the void left behind and have continued with a broken approach to promoting and selling their hardware.

From the US and UK advertisement I have reviewed for the OGO, its is clear that some OVR execs think a watered down "Apple" style campaign was suitable - with a lack of definition that allows the levelling of allegations such as from the OP. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,322
    Project 2501
    This should be moved to the OCULUS GO section.....
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,350 Volunteer Moderator
    Digikid1 said:
    This should be moved to the OCULUS GO section.....
    Well spotted, done
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • nieuwevleugelnieuwevleugel Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    My oculus go don't make contact with my computer (windows 10).
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,912 Volunteer Moderator
    Switch the Go on, plug it into the pc with the included usb cable, then put on your go then allow access. That should work ok ? If not then start your own thread or contact support ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • Jimbob2bobJimbob2bob Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    You also need to use your phone App to request refunds and access Developer Mode.
  • ryancarmichael321ryancarmichael321 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    TwoHedWlf said:

That's a bizarre strawman.  Certainly doesn't address the fact that the Go is not a standalone device.  And keep in mind standalone still means standalone; it doesn't mean sometimes standalone.  Also, while the box does say in tiny print that it requires an iPhone or Android smartphone, it doesn't state the fact that it requires a VERY NEW Android smartphone running one of the latest operating systems.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,969 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    I mean, it is annoying that a phone is needed occasionally, since the Go runs android already. 

This is a reasonable statement... it's not a million miles away from getting a mobile phone and needing another mobile phone to set it up. There's something quite appealing about design that contains everything you need.
    Maybe this will be considered for Quest although I have my doubts.
    Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,579 Valuable Player
    Oculus Go is the furthest thing from a standalone device imaginable.

The Oculus Go requires you to also buy a very new smartphone.  At minimum, it should be ready to download content straight from the web in order to be a standalone device.  All over the web it's being sold as a standalone device.  How is Oculus getting away with this scam? 

Because society just assumes everyone has a Smart phone now, so they don't even consider that part of the deal, since they assume that everyone by default already has these phones, it doesn't even occur to them that someone might not have one, therefore they incorrectly use the term "stand alone".  I suppose they figured anyone interested in tech like this would surely own a smartphone since you can even get them in the old school flip phone price ranges these days.  What is that?  $30 to $50?

I suppose since most people actually do have these phones, they would suggest that you just borrow someone elses phone to set it up maybe?
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,189 Poster of the Week
    edited October 7
    This wasn't really even much of an exaggeration  17 years ago...