Help me — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Help me

t_annert_anner Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hello.

I tried once the oculus rift and now i really want a vr setup. And then not the cardboard but the real stuff. The problem only is that i dont have a really good pc/laptop. So my question was : does sombody know a good laptop ( i cant get a pc because off the space in my house) that can handel vr. And not very expensive. I really want vr but more then 3500 dollar is a lot of money 
So i hope someone can help me out.
Sorry for my english btw.

Greetings
Tagged:

Answers

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,759 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    A good entry level VR laptop certified to work with Oculus Rift is Acer Nitro 5 with the 1050ti, you wont be able to run at high settings but for most games at medium settings, it will be a perfect starter:

It's around $799 dollars.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-256gb-solid-state-drive-shale-black/6212602.p?skuId=6212602&intl=nosplash
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You also may want to consider Oculus Go. It's much cheaper than Rift (especially if you consider cost of the PC) and is portable so better for smaller spaces. Of course, it does not run the same games (Go has more mobile-style games) but it's better than Rift in some ways, such as resolution and lenses. Do check it out.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • t_annert_anner Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thank you guys. I will check the acar. About the oculus go? I heard bad things about it . Like that are almost no games for it or the resolution. Idk if that is true 

• t_annert_anner Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Btw LZoltowski. You said that acer nitro is a good starter. What would be the price if you get one thats is better then a starter. I am such a person who wants something right away. I prefer a laptop for $ 1552 and then no new, instead of one from $ 700 and then one of 1500. so what would be a good ''expert laptop''  for vr
    edited September 2018
    The Alienware 15, it's Oculus certified and is medium-high-end ... the 6 core i7-8750H and the GTX 1070 option. (around $1700) Things get exponentially more pricey as you go up from that, next level up would be to get Alienware 17 with a GTX 1080 but that is around $2300 mark. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

I trust the brand, had quite a few of them in our studio. Solid machines.

• JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 241
    Nexus 6
    The alienware 15 is a great system. The 17 is an absolute beast. Look for sales or coupon codes. Alienware is great company (owned by Dell) but known to be slightly expensive/overpriced 
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,261 Volunteer Moderator
    I can vouch for the 15 with a 1060 in it. My missus uses it with a rift just fine. Pricey though but lovely.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    t_anner said:
    About the oculus go? I heard bad things about it . Like that are almost no games for it or the resolution. Idk if that is true 

That is certainly NOT true.  I don't know who told you that, but they must be crazy;   the Go has access to almost every game and app that was made for the GearVR plus all kinds of new apps exclusive to it, and a lot of the games are quite visually impressive (if they aren't, it's because of how the developer made it, not a limitation of the hardware)

I have SO many games in my Go library already, I'm not sure I'll even be through them all by this time next year, lol :tired_face:   #FirstWorldProblems , am I right?
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • AnujithghAnujithgh Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hey can we run oculus rift on acer nitro 5 with gtx 1050 4gb vram laptop? 
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,261 Volunteer Moderator
    Anujithgh said:
    Hey can we run oculus rift on acer nitro 5 with gtx 1050 4gb vram laptop? 
    Below spec just but might run but on very low settings. A 1050TI is min recommended.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,919 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    I can vouch for the 15 with a 1060 in it. My missus uses it with a rift just fine. Pricey though but lovely.

Are we talking about your missus or her laptop? Probably both. :p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever