New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Watch Oculus Connect Keynotes and Esports sessions with Oculus Venues on the GO and Gear VR

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator

Oculus Venues: Your Virtual Ticket to OC5

We partnered with Supersphere to let the VR community feel there without being there, thanks to a social VR livestream with Oculus Venues on Oculus Go and Gear VR. Given the uniquely social nature of Venues, you can chat with fellow fans in the crowd, share commentary as events unfold, and even move seats to get to know more people in VR.

Beginning at 10:00 am PT on September 26, you can join us LIVE as the OC5 keynote unfolds, including all the latest VR and developer news. The esports action kicks off from 12:00 to 5:00 pm PT, heating up the demo hall. That night, watch as the main stage transforms into an esports arena for the VR League’s Onward Grand Finals from 6:00 to 10:00 pm PT. Tune in September 27 at 10:00 am PT for Oculus CTO John Carmack’s signature unscripted keynote. And last, but not least, get your fix of zero-g sports with Echo Arena competitive play from 12:00 to 4:00 pm PT.

Check out the full list of Oculus Events happening LIVE in Venues and subscribe now so you won’t miss out:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oc5-livestreaming-in-oculus-venues-plus-the-void-and-ilmxlab-bring-star-wars-secrets-of-the-empire-to-connect/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 5,002 Valuable Player
    I would, if i owned one but i opted for the premium, more expensive Rift.   :/
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,002 Valuable Player
    We might be able to watch it on the Rift with the same app they used last year. Mind you it did fail miserably so perhaps not lmfao :D 

Perhaps @cybereality could find out whether us Rift owners are going to be able to see things in VR either by the previous app or a new one that hasn't been announced yet?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,157 Valuable Player
    I would imagine they will have it available in the Rift again as well.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    I don't think ANYBODY saw it last time in VR, they weren't prepared for the bandwidth usage by the looks of things. If they are going to reuse the same app I hope they're better prepared.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

snowdog said:
    I don't think ANYBODY saw it last time in VR, they weren't prepared for the bandwidth usage by the looks of things. If they are going to reuse the same app I hope they're better prepared.
    I was able to view it in VR last time.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
    snowdog said:
    It's being done by an external company this year: http://superspherevr.com/ they have done a few Oculus Venues events now.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Also from the post:

More Ways to Watch
    We’ll host 2D livestreams of the keynotes and esports events on a number of channels. You can watch the live keynotes on the Oculus Facebook page, while fb.gg/vrleague is your one-stop shop for all things esports. If you own a Rift and are running the Rift Core 2.0 beta, put those embedded Dash panels to good use and invite some friends over to watch our live OC5 coverage in VR with a Group Hang-Out!
    We’ll also share recordings of even more OC5 content including tech talks, panels, and more on our YouTube channel—be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a beat.

So no VR coverage for Rift owners. Disappointing.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,305 Volunteer Moderator

2D Dash panels in the Rift is not my idea of VR. Grrrrrrrrrr.

(& I made that noise out loud)

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
  • Marc-GMarc-G Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    Rift owners being left out and having to put up with the buggy Beta, no specific news on CV2 for months...I'm beginning to think Oculus have dropped the CV2 altogether and are focusing more on standalone HMDs (Santa Cruz).
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,292 Valuable Player
    You know what.. this is getting beyond a joke. It is also doubly frustrating because to be honest, I have no counter to the folk claiming stuff like that proves that high end PC VR is not longer something that Oculus really care about.

I like to think this is not the case but it has been months (a year?) since the 1st streamed vr live event that was not on the rift and nothing has changed.... I cant argue with the naysays logic.

sort it out all @oculus! :(
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited September 2018
    Yeah I must say I am starting to have my doubts also. Hate to say it, but I think Oculus may be really dropping the ball here.  If nothing at OC5, may be time for me to start looking elsewhere. I love my Rift and have been holding out, but things are marching on and they need to be a part of it.
    Don

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,958 Valuable Player
    Having no app to watch this in the Rift is a bit ridiculous. I'm also expecting to hear hear about CV2 and Santa Cruz this month, but mainly about CV2. When is the next Oculus Connect if we hear nothing this month? 

Just a thought - Maybe they don't show these events in the CV1 because it looks pants with the GodRays? OculusGO and GearVR are good for watching media..
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,854 Volunteer Moderator
    I believe you have to be with Facebook to watch, and that i flatly refuse. Is there a way to watch otherwise ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,958 Valuable Player
    @Techy111 - You have OculusGO, so you can watch it on that. My OculusGO arrived today and I'm going to set it up later..
    Through what app mate ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited September 2018
    Techy111 said:
    Through what app mate ?

Oculus Venues, it literally says that in the title of the thread lol

Ahhh ok thought that was the one that needed a Facebook acct

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,305 Volunteer Moderator

Although I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd give up my Rift over this.... and I can stretch my imagination to kind of understanding Oculus thinking the Go is the media viewing device as opposed to Rift being the gaming device,

…..I'm still grinding my teeth a little over this and the lack of live streaming in general on the Rift, despite it's limitations,  this does feel like a hugely dropped ball here.

(and I know what that feels like, I've dropped 2 of them)

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
    Cats......balls......dropped. I feel for you DnD and not your balls  :/

Techy111 said:

I think you do, don't you?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited September 2018
    Thank for all the feedback, I have shared this with the team.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited September 2018
    You shouldn't have to share this with the team at all (but thanks for doing so!) because they should have known full well that Rift owners would be pissed off with this news.

Techy111 said:

I think you do, don't you?
    I thought so mate, I'll look later. If yes then no event for me.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,704 Valuable Player
    I am a Rift owner but now I am not angry because I also own GO!

And there are other ways to watch it, which can involve using the Rift

First World Problems are my fav
     <3 
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,704 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    Also from the post:

More Ways to Watch
    We’ll host 2D livestreams of the keynotes and esports events on a number of channels. You can watch the live keynotes on the Oculus Facebook page, while fb.gg/vrleague is your one-stop shop for all things esports. If you own a Rift and are running the Rift Core 2.0 beta, put those embedded Dash panels to good use and invite some friends over to watch our live OC5 coverage in VR with a Group Hang-Out!
    We’ll also share recordings of even more OC5 content including tech talks, panels, and more on our YouTube channel—be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a beat.

I suspect we'll have to re-post this often. Rift owners can actually watch this Live in VR in cooler ways than the Oculus Venues app, thanks to Rift Core 2.0 beta.

I'll go between both to compare the experiences. But Oculus Venues as an App isn't as cool as Rift Core. Something for those of you who only own a Rift to keep in mind before going in to protest mode.

Let's also try to avoid the hyperbole rhetoric like, "omg I can't watch this with the same Mobile App as GO owners, so this means Oculus doesn't care about the Rift of CV2." Talking about PCVR and the Rift is literally on schedule for OC5, folks. This aint a Steam forum, act accordingly! lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    I sure hope you are right, if nothing much said at OC5 for PC-VR  I will be hugely disappointed.
    Been waiting for this since OC4.
    Don

I think it's pretty clear to anyone with any sense that Facebook's commitment to high-end PC VR isn't going anywhere after seeing the Half Dome prototype at F8 earlier this year.

I'm not expecting a full announcement of the CV2 at OC5 though, just another teaser. We'll then see a full announcement, reveal and pre-orders being taken at F8 next year.

Thank for all the feedback, I have shared this with the team.

Any sign of the Rift getting the actual Venues app?