New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

HP Omen 15-ce008nw and Oculus

MachuMachu Posts: 1
NerveGear
edited September 2018 in Support
Product Name: HP Omen 15-ce008nw
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a laptop HP Omen 15-ce008nw (i5-7300HQ, GTX 1050, 8GB RAM).

When I try to setup Oculus Rift, everything goes well until I need to use goggles to proceed.

Goggles display black screen, but they are connected and detected.

If I connect goggles using HDMI port, there is no image and no sound. When I use mini displayport, there is no image but sound is OK.

I updated laptop's bios, Windows and nVidia drivers.

HP support suggest me to connect with Oculus support.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Omen-15-ce008nw-and-Oculus/m-p/6834457

Answers

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,506 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    It's possible that your USB ports are not delivering enough power to the rift for the displays to turn on.
    Laptops are notoriously incompatible with the rift and only a few a certified.

There are possible ways around it, have a read through this guide, towards the bottom:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69494/having-oculus-rift-setup-issues-the-ultimate-guide#latest

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 404
    Trinity
    edited September 2018
    Hey there,
    It's in the link LZ gave you, but I'll say it anyway: go into Nvidia Control Panel, and change "preferred graphics card" to the NVidia card.
    Optimus (a software tech to switch from the integrated GPU to the discreet NVidia GPU) is known for being shit. It should switch to the NVidia GPU when needed, but it often doesn't...
    Hopefully it helped. I also have an HP Omen 15 laptop and VR works like a charm (though it's not the same model, so we can't say that for sure, but it should work with yours).
    My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"Everything changes. Even the happy or funny things disappear. Can I still enjoy this place anyway?"