New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Transference (Review)

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,392 Power Poster
edited September 2018 in Games and Apps
Transference is a VR Experience that I've been anticipating ever since I first encountered it back in December 2017:

I dedicated today to going through Transference, start-to-finish, in one-sitting. This is a 2-hour experience that attempts to capture fear derived from Anxiety and Madness (as opposed to straight PeePee Pants City "jump scares"). There is a real story here with real actors. The theme is professionally done in every regard:
  • Unique Visuals
  • Exceptional Audio
  • Quality VR Implementation
  • Full 360 immersion
  • Optimal use of "hand presence"

Many times I was afraid to open doors or look behind me. The game creates a sense of anticipation and dread at varying intervals that blend extremely well with the overall purpose of the Experience. The Player can expect to go back-n-forth between a VR Metaverse and Reality as you will often encounter recorded media depicting real people (not animated avatars). And this is executed in creative ways throughout the game:

You can also watch the Video Logs you collect in a "void theatre" that is reminiscent of the first Dead Secret title for the Rift.

I found myself comparing Transference to films starring Keanu Reeves. Not just the Matrix movies either... but also A Scanner Darkly. When you are not looking at true real life scenes, you are engulfed in a world that is very much Adult Animation:

Color scheming is also taken full advantage of throughout this Experience, to help create strong atmosphere and heighten feelings of anxiety:

Aside from the fantastic visual elements, the game-world has a strong sense of being in The Matrix. Rooms load like "constructs" (something anyone with Rift Core 2.0 has experienced plenty), and there are tons of "glitches" that add an impressive uniqueness to the immersion.

Transitions from one world or metaverse to another happens through this "construct loading" process.

You begin in total darkness with the world slowly loading to completion:

The puzzle elements tend to be quite technical as well. With "missing file" annotations appearing every so often. It actually tricked me at first, as I thought that my Oculus software was generating an error lol

But the game takes place inside a Virtual World (it is part of the plot and theme), so technology plays a crucial row. You can expect to be on the lookout for various "glitches" in the construct. In fact, in the very beginning of the game I was walking up a staircase and felt like Neo when he first saw that Black Cat...

(the game world is dark; I brightened the below screenshot which lessens the quality)

The Puzzles are unique and well-crafted. You will often need to travel between 2 different metaverses to complete a puzzle. My favorite thing about this is that one metaverse has the "horror" element, while the other has the "madness" element.

There are several Jump Scares throughout the game, but it does not rely on them. I actually found these Jump Scares to be my absolute favorite of all the Jump Scares I have ever encountered from the multiple horror experiences I've gone through since 2016 (Affected, Elevator Ritual, Emily Wants to Play, etc).

Your main enemy is some sort of Shadow Creature, and for most of the game I found myself wanting to avoid encounters with it. However, by the ending sequences the story and overall gameplay becomes so intriguing that I started to intentionally seek out the Shadow Creature head-on. Silly as that may sound, it's the first time I've been that involved with a villain in a VR Experience. I wanted that final showdown!

Overall, I can easily give this game 5 out of 5 stars.

Yes it could be longer. Yes it could be cheaper. Yes the puzzles could be more challenging. But this is such a complete package that has no inherent flaws. It set out to portray horror, madness, and anxiety with a strong sense of sophistication; and it does that very well.

I'm looking forward to a second playthrough asap.

For anyone who purchases this Title, I highly recommend going through it in one-sitting. Doing so really does allow you to capture the full depth of anxiety, fear, and madness.
Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 290
    Nexus 6
    Wow, great write-up Zen.  I didn't know anything about this game and it definitely sounds very immersive.  The fact that it's only about 2 hours actually makes it more interesting to me as I don't have tons of time to invest in longer games and I don't need a longer backlog than I already have.

Thanks for the game summary.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,496 Volunteer Moderator
    Great write-up as always. Thank you! Already downloaded and ready for my weekend playthrough!

It's £20 on the store, might sound expensive for a 2-hour experience but if it's of the quality you describe then it's like a  well produced 2-hour interactive movie experience, which in London is the price of a cinema ticket plus a box of popcorn :) Sounds like it worth it.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,206 Power Poster
    edited September 2018
    Cool man, nice summary. I didn't even think about the Matrix when playing, I felt the game was more akin to Observer, but then again Observer shares elements from the Matrix as well - such an influential movie. Is there a 2D option available because if not then the Oculus version is not as good value as the Uplay one.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,392 Power Poster
    Nope, the "start in Desktop" mode option is not currently available when launching from OH. I never use that option for any games that support it, but good to know for anyone who does.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,206 Power Poster
    I think you would find going back to the 2D version after experiencing it in VR would be underwhelming at best.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,124 Valuable Player
    How do you choose the 2D version if you get it from the Oculus Store?
    RedRizla said:
    How do you choose the 2D version if you get it from the Oculus Store?

You don't sir. It's currently VR only on OH.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,108
    Wintermute
    Great review - but there seems to be a severe Uplay issue? 

42% of current ratings are just 1/5 stars, like:

1. "Not working
    Not working I can't start the game because of Uplay authentification issue"

2. "Not working
    I can't start the game because of Uplay authentification issue. I tried lots of things, downloaded latest Uplay version, uninstalled and reinstalled the game, restart everything countless times, check uplay-oculus account linking ... I contacted support.ubi.com a few days ago, including reports and config files in my email, but I didn't get any answer yet. It seem to be an issue shared by most users and I'm very disapointed."

3. "Game finally launches...
    Initial issue: Failure to start / load due to Ubisoft's broken Uplay service. Fix required opening a ticket with Ubisoft support who had to manually tweak my Uplay account licensing to get issue resolved. With that said Transference still suffers from the exact same Uplay startup issue that plagues Star Trek: Bridge Crew. Every time you open a UbisoftVR app in Oculus you will be told that you are not logged into UPlay (despite UPlay being up and running / logged in) ST:BC/Transference will then prompt you in-headset to log into UPlay and restart the experience. On the second launch ST:BC and Transference will actually start up. It's an annoyance that could be avoided if Ubisoft would ditch Uplay and let the Oculus app manage the licenses. Maybe at some point I'll actually play through the experience and come back to write an honest review of Transference."

So it's seem the game simply doesn't work for many users - but you didn't experience any problems?

See the many negative reviews here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1319276384868331/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    Wintermute
    edited September 2018
    The game got a 100% (= 5/5) rating on VR Focus:

"If you love a good horror experience then Transference should be on your to buy list. It’s a videogame that should come with a heart warning, not because of jump scares, just merely due to the fact it’ll get your heart racing for the entire duration. Ubisoft and SpectreVision have done a commendable job entwining both live-action story and gameplay elements to make Transference one of the best psychological thrillers for VR."
    Source: https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/09/review-transference/

And 8.5 on RoadToVR:

"'Transference' is a short adventure through a family's corrupted digital minds, taking you into their fears and preoccupations that seem to have reshaped the world around them after an experiment to copy their biological selves to the digital medium. Much of the thrill lies in the game's realistic (albeit fractured) atmosphere, although a few jump scares await that should get the pulse of even the bravest horror fan thumping. It treads a fine line between adventure game, with its puzzles and found objects that tell a story, and a dark indie film that sweeps you along at a fast clip. While too short for some, in the end the experience reflects concise storytelling that may have ultimately suffered with a longer format. 
    Gameplay: 8 | Immersion: 8.5 | Comfort: 9"
    https://www.roadtovr.com/transference-review-thrilling-film-like-adventure-digital-age/

UploadVR rated the game 9/10:

"There is a lot to unpack in Transference. It deals with several heavy themes that will likely make players uneasy, and from what I can tell, that’s sort of the point. Ubisoft and SpectreVision have mixed the stylings of Black Mirror and The Matrix with a twisted vision of the future that feels dangerously honest and realistic. While I’d have certainly loved for it to be a bit longer, I also appreciate how well-paced and polished it feels at the same time. It’s not without its flaws, but Transference is an unforgettable VR experience that I won’t soon forget."
    https://uploadvr.com/transference-review/

Steam reviews are mixed - many users seem plagued by the Uplay issue - some complain about "terrible" Touch controller support:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/647570/Transference/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

I set up my UPlay account over a year ago when Eagle Flight game out for the Rift. Never had any issues.

Glad to see that other outlets are giving Transference near perfect ratings as well! It certainly deserves it.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 899
    Neo
    Unfortunately like many others i had issues starting the game. Even though Uplay has worked fine with Eagle Flight & was linked with my Oculus account it just didn't show up as a purchase. It was sorted within 24 hours & i changed my review to 5 stars. 

• PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    I set up my UPlay account over a year ago when Eagle Flight game out for the Rift. Never had any issues.

Glad to see that other outlets are giving Transference near perfect ratings as well! It certainly deserves it.
    Do you need to set up Uplay for the OH version?
    Pabbert said:
    Zenbane said:

Do you need to set up Uplay for the OH version?
    Yes, Uplay is required for any Ubisoft title on any platform, it's their DRM on both Steam / OH etc
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 403
    Trinity
    So, if the game is less than 2 hours long, you can finish it, then ask for a refund because you played less than 2 hours, right? I don't think I would do that myself, but in case somebody is bothered by the short lifespan, that may be a solution.

I just discovered the game (well, had already heard of it but didn't look much into it), it does look interesting!
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
    Wintermute
    So, if the game is less than 2 hours long, you can finish it, then ask for a refund because you played less than 2 hours, right? I don't think I would do that myself, but in case somebody is bothered by the short lifespan, that may be a solution.

I just discovered the game (well, had already heard of it but didn't look much into it), it does look interesting!

I'd love to try and support the game, but I'd like to see at least 5 to 10 reviews stating the the UPlay issue (and other issues) is solved - and then just 3 hours ago there was a new 1/5 star review in The Oculus Store:

"WHY THE ANNOYANCE OF GOOGLE AUTHENTICATOR??!?!"
    Source: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1319276384868331/

It's really sad that playing such a potentially great game gets severely hampered by the use of such security requirements - there should be enough anti-piracy measures build into the Oculus platform not to require Uplay? - And maybe Ubisoft just switched to something else, I have no idea what "Google Authenticator" is... But I guess is this  B)

With such a limited audience, VR devs must be extremely careful that their games get an awesome start - early bad ratings work like a red flag to many, and the impact of early bad ratings takes so much time to reduce (like Seeking Dawn, sigh).

Wintermute
    edited September 2018
    I liked this review on Steam:

"Experienced on the Oculus Rift with Touch Controllers.

So I bought the game today, post-patch fixing all the reported issues with the Oculus. I am happy to report that I did not experience a single issue during my full playthrough of the game. It look me about 3 hours to finish the game, however, it can probably be finished in 2 hours. I got stuck on one easy puzzle that I thought was more complicated than it was. I then noticed a number near the laptop which soon made the answer obvious.

So this is a puzzle adventure game that does feel like a walking simulator except that there is always a puzzle to solve to get to the next stage. So I would say this falls closer to a puzzle adventure game than a pure walking simulator. Some of the puzzles are very easy. But I found at least one puzzle difficult, mostly because I was looking in the wrong places. It's easy to look in the wrong place because this game is all about perspective. You will experience things differently as you go along.

It's no coincidence that the family dog Laika is referenced throughout. Laika is also the famous name of the dog that was sent into space to die a horrible death by those crazy Russians. That space incident is also the repeated concern of the little boy in the 1985 Swedish movie My Life as a Dog in which the boy is obssessed with that incident in the context of perspective ... how things are bad but how in perspective they are not so bad, just look at what happened to poor ol' Laika. So yeah, the reference is no coincidence.

This is a narrative driven game. It does have a creepy atmosphere but it is not a horror game. I would say if anything I would call it a psychological thriller / mystery. The graphics are gorgeous. There's lots of details in this world. There are several things to pickup and interact with. However, those interactions are limited and only certain items are interactable. So a lot of the assets are just there for the visuals. A slight disappointment, but It does make the puzzle solving easier though so it makes sense.

You can pickup audio and video logs. Then you can play them. They are well acted. Although, to understand the story you will need to find them all and try to play them in some semblance of order. Otherwise, it will just be a hodge podge of mixed ideas and themes.

I enjoyed the experience. It has AAA production values. However, it is not game of the year. I think it could have been better. When I think of strong narrative driven games I think of What Remains of Edith Finch. And this game is not on that level. I also don't think it's as good as The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. However, it has very strong production values and you can tell it was built from the ground up specifically for VR. While not a must have, if you love VR, I think it is something you should consider purchasing to support a big developer putting out original VR content. "
    Source: https://store.steampowered.com/app/647570/Transference/

I wonder if Steam requires Uplay too - most reviews on Steam are now (very) positive in contrast to the many negative reviews in the Oculus Store. But I wouldn't dream of buying Transference other places than the Oculus Store  o:) 

BTW, just saw Hereditary last evening - that must be a great warm-up to Transference  :D

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 800
    3Jane
    Yeah. Just realized this is a must have game. No doubt !
    Awesome review as always Zenmate.
    Be good, die great !
    Wintermute
    Ok, Uplay demon here I come, can't resist anymore, I'm in too  o:) 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,118
    Wintermute
    2 hours?! Is that a record for shortest VR Game? Some movies are longer. 

I would buy for $10 which is the price of a 2-hour movie. 
    MowTin said:

Not in my City. $15-$20 is the standard for a good theatre. $10 barely covers popcorn and a drink.

Plus, 2 hours in VR is far more entertaining than 2 hours sitting in a theatre. Not to mention that you own the VR title for that cost; you dont own the movie you watch at a theatre. If you wanna see it again you have to pay again.
    Zenbane said:
    MowTin said:

Not in my City. $15-$20 is the standard for a good theatre. $10 barely covers popcorn and a drink.

Plus, 2 hours in VR is far more entertaining than 2 hours sitting in a theatre. Not to mention that you own the VR title for that cost; you dont own the movie you watch at a theatre. If you wanna see it again you have to pay again.
    Yup, it's £17 at my local cinema per movie, if you count a large popcorn and a soda in that is £26 roughly

Transference is £20

Added bonus: my partner can play this too at no extra charge! :)

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Looks awesome. Will have to check it out. I'm okay with 2 hours long, time is at a premium these days.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Wintermute
    edited September 2018
    MowTin said:

Some dude wrote that it took 2 hours to complete Moss, it took me 8 hours (admitted, other reviewers also stated 6 to 8 hours), and Zenbane has already considered a second Transference playthrough. I usually spend a lot of time checking everything including textures ( :blush: ), so I'm hoping to spend more than 2 hours in Transference. RoadToVR and UploadVR did finish the game in just 90 minutes, so maybe 120 minutes is for the slow old-timers... ;-)

I also just bought Solo, Infinity War and Ready Player One on blu-ray 3D each for the same price as Transference, had I waited a year, I probably could have gotten them for nearly half the price, but I don't want to wait that long - and I applied the same logic to Transference (due to awesome reviews and it seems that the Uplay issue has been solved to some extend). Finally I like to support when a major publisher spend time to develop a VR game - and even makes it available in the Oculus Store (=optimized for the Rift).

I already completed a second playthrough of Transference, because I was missing 3 media files after my first playthrough. I found 2 more and was having an impossible time finding the final media file lol

Now that I found everything though, it was nearly 4 hours total. And of course, a lot of that time depends on how quickly you can solve these puzzles.
    Wintermute
    edited September 2018
    Zenbane's review feels spot on (although I haven't finished the game). It is truly an awesome game - but I do feel kind of stressed, like "I need to finish the game in 90 or 120 minutes or everyone will think I've got severe learning disabilities"  :D  
    I probably already spent an hour just checking textures - and the quality is awesome, maybe not "Ethan Carter"-awesome, but still quite awesome. The SPUD-effect is very noticeable and quite annoying in some of the very dark locations, but that has nothing to do with the game, and I'm kinda used to it. Sound effects were awesome too - I've already jumped a lot more than when watching Hereditary - alone - in the dark. Hereditary never really got to me, but VR horror/suspense works every time  :#
    Again, graphics are awesome, just check out the bricks in the building when you start the game - it simply looks real. I tried maxing all settings (=bloom + very high shadow detail) while using super sampling 2.0 and I still got solid 90 fps, no re-projections, so many persons should be able to enjoy the game, it doesn't require a 2080 ti at all ;-) Animations are top-notch, the game oozes of quality. Touch controls are working just fine, I don't have a problem with the movements (although walking is slow, maybe I just haven't found the always run button yet :blush: ) - there's full locomotion, HMD directed (like in Doom VFR, but that's my favorite method). 
    Love how they made the hands matrix-style, using ss 2.0 you can really see almost every pixel. Like Zenbane described, it's a game like no other, and it may take some time getting used to the logic. 

Starting the game wasn't easy though. After downloading the game I just started it, there was some loading, and *blink* I was kicked back to Oculus Home. Had to take off the HMD, and saw a small window from Uplay where I had to log in. I  had to create a new account, then to associate it was the Oculus app - but still the game wouldn't start (at this point my mood wasn't the best). Then I gave in, had to install Google Authenticator on my phone and use a few codes (like Steam Guard), but then suddenly everything worked. 

For persons not used to Uplay, it may take some time (15 minutes?) to get everything working - patience is key, and the game is worth it.

• rh_galaxyrh_galaxy Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    The UPlay issue has not been solved.

How can they let it be this way for months... It's been 3 days since I created a ticket with ubisoft, and I'm still not allowed to start the game.

"...a problem authenticating the ownership..." I have linked Oculus with UPlay account, what more is there to do? The game exists with OH and does not exist in UPlay. Clearly there are faults that need fixing between UPlay and Oculus...
    Wintermute
    edited November 2018
    rh_galaxy said:
    The UPlay issue has not been solved.

How can they let it be this way for months... It's been 3 days since I created a ticket with ubisoft, and I'm still not allowed to start the game.

"...a problem authenticating the ownership..." I have linked Oculus with UPlay account, what more is there to do? The game exists with OH and does not exist in UPlay. Clearly there are faults that need fixing between UPlay and Oculus...

It is horrible with Uplay, but the game is truly amazing, one of the best ever within its genre (especially due to VR), so it's definitely worth the hassle.

Hmm, the game can be completed in a couple of hours, maybe I should get it finished - but it's like having a great cake, if I eat it all then I don't have it anymore, sigh... ;-)

Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2018
    Well, I got it running by requesting a refund on day 13 as ubisoft didn't resolve my ticket, then bought it back (now not on sale of course). I still think new users will have this issue with UPlay, believe it worked for me the 2nd time because I now already have UPlay installed, have a user, was logged in, and have linked the UPlay and Oculus accounts. Seems you only get one shot at activating the software at ubisoft, if something is not right the chance is gone...

But I now have a problem with controls. I can't crouch. (Using the Oculus store version, not Steam).

Maybe by using the keyboard (use L or R, it says in the settings) but I don't want that, and the setting is broken (stuck on "Stick Sensitivity"), button "A" does nothing, can't select any other control option, just go back to the previous menu. Xbox controller doesn't work ok either.

The only way I can reach objects on the floor is to stand up (for real), reset view, crouch down (for real) and pick up before the view is reset automatically (after 2 sec maybe) and you don't reach it any longer...

Installed today, so maybe I have another now broken version than what you used... (miss seeing a date on when last update was made, we see only release date).

It's not playable like this. How did you do it?
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2018
    Ok, so I'm stupid. I had to press L or R sticks down to crouch. But still, they have reset view on Y and B (a common button for an uncommon action), and this crouch on an uncommon button for something you have to do all the time... Well, it works now so that's good.

Still this question is valid:
    -Why can't I change the controller settings (stuck on "Stick Sensitivity"), pressing "A" does nothing. Can only go back to the previous menu.
    I agree that the crouch button is a bit strange in terms of placement. It threw me off the first time it happened; I thought my game had glitched lol

The game doesn't allow changing up the controller mappings. But honestly, there isn't much to it since 90% of the game involves using your hands to manipulate things. As for crouching, I can only think of 1 time where I had to do it as part of the game.