OpenOVR Released - Play Steam VR Games Without SteamVR!!! :Oo — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

OpenOVR Released - Play Steam VR Games Without SteamVR!!! :Oo

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,730 Valuable Player
Details here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9i7s16/openovr_released_play_steamvr_games_without/

Haven't tried it myself yet because I'm unable to play Skyrim VR until my leg is fully healed but this is pretty huge if it means that we won't have performance issues playing VR games in our Steam libraries. :o
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    Ooooh this could be very interesting, will give it a go later, thanks for posting!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 462
    Trinity
    edited September 2018
    Ok, I literally just got out of Skyrim VR, but now I have to go back to try it out (I can't resist xD).

PS : I love it when a huge software problem is solved by simply replacing a single file.

EDIT: I quickly tried to launch SkyrimVR, it's great but there is one problem : the colors are wrong. They are too bright and there is a sort of green filter on it. Did it happen to someone else?
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,730 Valuable Player
    Yup  someone mentioned it on Reddit too. Hopefully he'll managed to fix it. There'll be all sorts of bugs including crashes to begin with.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,247 Valuable Player
    What benefit does this have over using Steam VR?
    Trinity
    edited September 2018
    Better performance because you don't have to run 7 f*cking tasks at the same time.
    Faster launching time.
    And that's about it ^^.
    Current VR results imo:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

How much better performance? did you check out the Fps difference?
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    I've had a couple random apps (forget which ones.. I think some of the Felix & Paul studios stuff?) on Oculus Home that when launched, would try to open Steam VR and then just freeze up..

So maybe this will allow me to actually run those apps now, lol.

Good riddance to SteamVR, either way. 
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    Trinity
    edited September 2018
    @RedRizia: No, as my issue is really deal-breaking I got back to using SteamVR, until the color/brightness problem is solved.

I did measure the launching time though:
    - with SteamVR: 10 seconds.
    - without it: instant launch.
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,906 Valuable Player
    Interesting. Will look into this later on
  • znixianznixian Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hello, dev here. Colour correction should be fixed in the latest update.
    Trinity
    I confirm, it's gone! Thank you so much!
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    Mmmm that's great news! Something I'll dream for long :) Thanks @znixian :p I'm discovering the project right now on gitlab and will definitively test it with the few games using SteamVR on my system, and mainly the one I'm using the most and benchmark regularly : IL-2 Sturmovik. I'll report back asap.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Trinity
    edited September 2018
    Quick update on Skyrim: the few problems are now gone, the game totally works with that dll! (Some controls didn't work properly, but now everything works fine, at least on my side).
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.

@LuluViBritannia - How can it be fine if some of the controls don't work properly? What controls are you having problem with?
    Wintermute
    edited September 2018
    @znixian , IL-2 Sturmovik don't work using OpenOVR. I tried both 32bits and 64bits. The latter make nothing, executable don't launch, no message, instantly exiting, I didn't even had the time to see the executable IL-2 appearing on the task list. I tried first 64bits as several dll appear to be 64bits on this directory...

With the 32 bits version I have an error message in French saying the application didn't succeed to run with an error :
    On this screenshot "openvr_api - Copie.dll" is the original file, "openvr_api.dll" is your 32bits version and obviously "openvr_api_64bits.dll" is the previous test with your 64bits version (renamed to "openvr_api.dll" when tested).

I'm not able to find any log file openovr_log next to the executable :(

I'm not familiar with gitlab, I'll try to report like described, thanks!

Edit : Ok just saw 2 others pilots reported same issues on gitlab with IL-2, I'll not create a new report ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,088 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    Awesome! One step closer to being Steam-free. Love it.

I ran across another article about this today:

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Trinity
    @RedRizia : I used past tense buddy ^^'. All the controls work with the latest release.
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.

• znixianznixian Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited September 2018
    @YoLolo69 IL-2 should work fine as of now. Here's what you need to do:

1. Install the 64-bit DLL
    2. Create a file named opencomposite.ini and put it next to the DLL
    3. Write enableAudio=off into the aforementioned INI file to disable audio redirection (audio will still work fine, this disables a feature which sends audio to the Rift regardless of your default Windows audio device)

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,821 Valuable Player
    I look forward to hearing people's experiences of this with IL2 :)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    Confirmed working with Fallout 4 VR and GZDoomVR
    Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    Ok, so I made tests yesterday with IL-2. It work with an issues which could come from me : FPS is lower is I use the SS option "supersampleRatio" inside the configuration file opencomposite.ini, versus the debug tool/ OTT supersampling.

In my test scene and having OTT set with my usual 1,5 SS I have 89/90fps. Without OTT and using supersampleRatio=2,3 (which should be the equivalent in SteamVR, please corect me if I'm wrong) and OpenOVR DLL I got 60fps.

I could have wrong here (OTT 1,5 = SteamVR 230%) but visually it match, and I used datas from another thread showing those ratios.

On side note, using OpenOVR DLL make loading time really shorter!
    Edit : I'm adding, using OTT at 1.5SS and OpenOVR DLL and I'm back at the same FPS and visual quality than using SteamVR so it's pretty sure a problem with SS set in the opencomposite.ini file.

Trinity
    edited October 2018
    Wait, so now it has some settings? So cool! Man I love @znixian, that's a hardworker for sure!
    EDIT : Just tried that on VRChat, it works like a charm! I changed the SS values to have no lags, it seems alright for me (SS 0.5 did seem like Steam VR SS 50%).
    Also, I just tried Skyrim again, the fact that it shows hands instead of controllers is priceless. Thank you so much! It breaks so much immersion to see the high-tech controllers in that fantasy middle-age world, so I'm glad to have hands instead!
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.

• KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 173
    Art3mis
    out of curiosity, with this enabled, if i play a game will it still show me as playing said game on Steam? it would probably mean that I cant chat with my steam friends while in game anymore huh?
    Trinity
    Probably not, indeed. That said, there are many other options to chat with them. Many games have built-in "friends system", so I guess you could just add your Steam friends in the games ^^.
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.