cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having issues with 2080 and Rift?

trevisthomas
Explorer
I haven't seen anything else online about the pain that i'm going through so maybe it's just me.  I've had the customer Rift unit since release and it's never had any issues before.  With the release of the 20xx Nvidia cards I decided to build a new PC around the new card.  Everything with the build was flawless until i tried to setup my Rift. 

The Rift setup program sees the unit, sometimes, but while pairing the Touch controllers i get an error saying that i'm having a hardware issue.  If i start setup again i see that the Headset and the Headset USB are not being found.  Unplugging and reconnecting it doesn't fix the issue. Some times unplugging all of the USB devices from the computer resolves makes the headset come back, but not always. Rebooting the computer usually makes it come back.  But every time you start the Oculus setup program it fails and when it fails the unit isn't found anymore until rebooting (or fighting with the usb ports).

I tried everything that i could think of in the bio, installing the motherboard and chipset drivers... nothing mattered.  I even went out yesterday and purchased a PCIe USB3 board, still made no difference.

The weird part is with all of the install failures I managed to get the Touch controllers paired and then skipped the rest of setup and went back to setup Guardian and Roomscale.  Now if the system sees the head set, it seems to work just fine.  Some times when you reboot, or wake from sleep it doesn't see the Rift so i've been rebooting the computer until it does.  Once it does, games work just fine.

Am i out of my mind?  I'm hoping that there is a problem with the 2080 drivers or with the the combination of the 2080 drivers and the Rift software.  But since i haven't found anyone else talking about this issue, i'm worried that it's just me and i'm going to have this terrible experience for the long haul.

Anyone have any theories, or guesses or suggestions?

Specs:
Gigabyte RTX 2080
ASRock 4Pro z370
i7 8700k
16gb DDR4
SSD
CV1 Rift + 3 sensors
Windows 10  64bit (August build from MSDN)

19 REPLIES 19

trevisthomas
Explorer
Somewhat weird things about my setup... I don't have a monitor on this PC.  It's connected to an AV Receiver and projector.  The 2080 only has one HDMI port, and no DVI ports so i'm using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable for the Projector output, and connecting the rift directly to the sole HDMI port.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Which PCI-E USB card did you buy?

trevisthomas
Explorer
It’s a cheap one.  Um, Vantec 4-port superspeed usb 3.0.

It didn’t change the symptoms one bit vs connecting to the ones on the mother board.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some cards aren't compatible with the Rift. There are currently 2 cards that are guaranteed to work, the Inateck 4 port card and another one who's details I've forgotten because I bought the Inateck one lol. The Inateck is the cheapest of the two.

It's not the amount of USB slots on your motherboard that are a problem, it's the amount of controllers that those ports use. If all of your ports are using the same controller then it causes problems with the Rift and sensors.

Get yourself the Inateck card, it should solve your problems.

trevisthomas
Explorer
So are you saying that the usb controller built onto the the motherboard won’t run the rift?  That seems really hard to believe.  My old system with a gigabyte mb and a z170 chipset never had problems with the rift. No add in usb controller necessary.  The only reason I put an add in card in the new one was to see if it made a difference in the bizarre behavior I am seeing.  I didn’t need additional ports.  

If i connect the headset to the built in USB ports or the ones in the addin card, I have the same symptom. No mater If i connect 1 sensor or 3.  During rift setup the headset gives an error and can’t be detected until reboot.  If I skip the setup, rift seems to work just fine. How can I be sure that the issue is usb and not th 2080?  Have you heard this symptom before? ( thanks for your responses, btw.  I’ll take all the help I can get)

Anonymous
Not applicable
It could be that your current motherboard only has one controller for all of its USB ports, maybe?

Have you still got your old PC? Try putting your GPU in your old PC and see if it's still a problem.

I'm pretty sure that it's not working with your PCI-E USB card because it isn't compatible. You could try moving all of your other devices to the USB card and then try one sensor and the headset to your motherboard. Should work then I think. If it doesn't then it must be some sort of issue with the GPU I reckon, but this is the first time I've heard of a 20 card causing problems with the Rift.

trevisthomas
Explorer
Before work this morning i tried moving some connections around to see if removing all sensors from the MB helped the issue with the headset and, you are right about this card.  The sensors don't work on it at all when connected to it.  I get a red 'x' in the setup when connecting any sensors to it.  The headset works on it, but not the sensors.  I was going to try moving the sensors to it, and the headset to the motherboard and then test running the full setup again to see if it would be successful.

At this point i'm not sure what to do. The suggestion of dropping the old GPU in there is a reasonable one, and i am curious about the results.  On the other hand if the issue is with the GPU, it's almost certainly driver related and will be fixed eventually.  The Inateck card, if i'm looking at the right one, is only 22 dollars so maybe getting it and running some of the sensors on it would be worth doing.  

Digikid1
Consultant
The absolutely best card is the Startech usb 3 card with the DEDICATED bus for each usb port. Yes it’s a little expensive but that’s the price for quality. 

Plus its on sale RIGHT NOW

Or if you're Canadian like me...