New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Explore 50 years of StarTrek in a virtual reality museum

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
Step into TV & movie history with never-before-seen artifacts from the Roddenberry archive - props, costumes, and so much more.

https://www.sansar.com/roddenberry
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,002 Valuable Player
    That explains why CBS/Paramount killed off the Stage 9 project I guess! :(
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,305 Volunteer Moderator

Whoa I'd not heard about this Sansar app before... why not?

Just wandered around the first part of this Nexus exhibit and am totally engrossed. For anyone like me who hadn't heard of this before, Sansar appears to be a virtual live event/exhibition/social media app for Windows and VR.

It's Touch enabled and you can pick exhibits up and examine them, play voice-overs and stuff, love it. Well it helps to have this Star Trek exhibit, lets be honest!

Anyway, thankyou thakyou thankyou for the heads up LZ.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator

Just wandered around the first part of this Nexus exhibit and am totally engrossed. For anyone like me who hadn't heard of this before, Sansar appears to be a virtual live event/exhibition/social media app for Windows and VR.

It's Touch enabled and you can pick exhibits up and examine them, play voice-overs and stuff, love it. Well it helps to have this Star Trek exhibit, lets be honest!

First time I heard of it too, isn't it amazing? For me as a huge star trek fan, it was such a great experience, I have not discovered it all yet! You can also build virtual spaces like in Home, it's actually a bit more advanced (custom light sources etc)

I only found out about it as the Roddenberry twitter account retweeted it.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Also I think Facebook should acquire Sansar ASAP :)

@DaftnDirect They also have a NASA museum and the original Enterprise Bridge to explore.

I don't say OMG very often but OMG! Will be revisiting after lunch.... am famished

I had the same thought about Facebook buying this tbh, it's got a lot more pull than Facebook's own app dare I say it!
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 5,002 Valuable Player

It's been posted about many times!  They are just some of my posts:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/540315#Comment_540315

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/600529#Comment_600529

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/563612#Comment_563612

Hasn't taken off half as much as it should - maybe word hasn't got out very well?
    edited September 2018

Sorry Hiro, didn't notice any of those posts.

That's probably because I think this app needed a thread of its own to announce its existence rather than posts within other threads. I'm probably like many people and nearly always read new threads to see what they're all about but don't always continue reading past a certain point unless something grabs my attention.... or they get referred to like here!

Edit: I don't always read new threads either... basically if it's about Star Trek, I'm guaranteed to read!

It does have a few but they were from early last year when it was in beta i think.  I agree, if Oculus bought this, or "bought in to it" somehow, it would be great.  Some of the places people have created make my Home room look like a plain cardboard box.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,940 Volunteer Moderator

Sorry Hiro, didn't notice any of those posts.

That's probably because I think this app needed a thread of its own to announce its existence rather than posts within other threads.

Like here?

:)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
    @Kojak & @Hiro_Protag0nist, my bad ….well I'm making up for it now and Sansar is getting a few overdue extra bumps due to my shortcomings!
    It has the potential to be a huge "thing" - just needs a lot more publicity.  I did look at the creation tools it had last year but never got around to doing anything.  Think it needs a new thread on here too.
    edited September 2018

Agreed Hiro, as social apps go... I'm not really that interested in the social side of things... like meeting new people (I'm just miserable that way), but exhibitions or anything theatrical... live events of any sort really, if it includes incidental representations (avatars or whatever) of other live attendees, it really adds to the event, it kind of makes the event the thing, rather than me sitting at home trying out VR.

This one seems to have the right focus for me and is nicely done.

Edit: Incidentally, is anyone planning on going to Destination Star Trek at the Birmingham NEC next month?

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,943 Valuable Player
    Is this an app? How do I have to download?
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • shapesimshapesim Posts: 18 Oculus Start Member
    I like it. I know someone who is doing somewhat similar, scanning museum pieces and putting together a VR exhibit. He is probably doing it with photogrammetry as the models don't look as crisp as this. Is this made by Sansar or a fan?
    VR toys & playsets
    http://ShapeSim.com

edited September 2018
    shapesim said:
    I like it. I know someone who is doing somewhat similar, scanning museum pieces and putting together a VR exhibit. He is probably doing it with photogrammetry as the models don't look as crisp as this. Is this made by Sansar or a fan?

Go here:  https://atlas.sansar.com/all

To see the "places" - it tells you if Sansar or a user created it.  I think Sansar did this one.

Edit: it says Roddenberry Entertainment.
    shapesim said:
    Cooperation between Sansar and the Roddenberry estate as it's from their collection.

• sford52sford52 Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    +1.  Wow, great link LZ, thanks! My best bud from college and I used to sit around and watch TOS in syndication. Got so good we could name that episode within seconds. Still can. One of my few remaining talents...
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
    Used Sansar for the first time in ages the other night - was great.  The Star Trek one was very cool.
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity

I'm probably like many people and nearly always read new threads to see what they're all about but don't always continue reading past a certain point unless something grabs my attention.... or they get referred to like here!

Edit: I don't always read new threads either... basically if it's about Star Trek, I'm guaranteed to read!

Same with me. I look at the thread subjects. Maybe 1 out of 20 will cause me to even read the beginning of a thread, and after a certain point (first or second page) I don't bother reading any more of it unless I have commented in it myself (which maybe 1 out of 20 threads that I have bothered to read in the first place, so... 1 out 400 of all threads, maybe, if I am doing math right).
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,330
    Project 2501
    edited October 2018
    So when I get home tonight I just need to install this software Sensar and then I can watch/view these cool environments?

Or do you have to tune in on certain days at certain times?

And can we use this on Oculus GO or just Rift?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

It's a Windows only app @SkScotchegg so only for Rift and Vive.

You can lean in & pick things up to examine them so hand-tracked controls are needed also. Maybe it'll be a Quest enables app in the future though.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,330
    Project 2501
    edited October 2018

You can lean in & pick things up to examine them so hand-tracked controls are needed also. Maybe it'll be a Quest enables app in the future though.

Thanks for info mate, to view these museums though, is it only certain days at particular times? Or can we watch/view at any time of day?

It's just the OP links to a twitter message which says something about Thursday?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Thanks for info mate, to view these museums though, is it only certain days at particular times? Or can we watch/view at any time of day?

It's just the OP links to a twitter message which says something about Thursday?

Any time, it's a permanent fixture, the original tweet was to announce that one of the Visual Effects people will be in the museum so you can walk through it with him while he explains things.

I also included a direct link below:

https://www.sansar.com/roddenberry