New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Connect 5 MEGATHREAD Oculus Quest announced! Join the conversation!

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Spring     :'(

Can't wait that long!  Oh, and of course, that will mean the end of spring!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,414 Volunteer Moderator
    Rift quality on a Quest? I'll want some hard specs before I'll believe that.

New Rift won't be announced today... little joke from Mark there

Tomorrow - that's the big bomb he's gonna drop any second now.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Rift going to stay, all 3 devices will get upgrades.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

When did he say that?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,311 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    But can it run Seeking Dawn? 

How about RTX ray tracing? 

Looked like a device for girls in that video  ;)

If I'm unleashed, I'd totally be able to clean my VR room - no more wall-hung paintings or lamps!  :D

"Rift-quality" experiences... Hmmmm....  Not sure I'm into Quest in spring 2019... But let's hear what kind of processors they've can build into a $399 HMD... Intel i7/i9 + a powerful gpu won't be easy to match. And I don't believe in magic.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

When did he say that?
    When he outlined the 3 product roadmap, :smile:
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    How much ????  :o
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited September 2018
    Techy111 said:
    How much ????  :o

$399 available in Spring ... crazy

Nobody in the UK is connected by VR, apparently.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,710 Volunteer Moderator

I like the way he positioned it as completing their 1st generation line-up.

The next hardware release will have to be 2nd gen. Hopefully that's not too far after Quest.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.836)
    Mark is so much better at keynotes than the Nvidia ceo. Gets to the point, doesn't waffle on and on. :)

When did he say that?

Eh?  Missed it - bugger!  Did he say in what way?  Are you sure he wasn't saying the lineup has had an upgrade, with the Quest?

When did he say that?

Eh?  Missed it - bugger!  Did he say in what way?  Are you sure he wasn't saying the lineup has had an upgrade, with the Quest?

No all 3 products Go / Quest / Rift and said that was their 1st gen lineup and that they will be upgrading each of the product lines.

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,523 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    Well being a Rift enthusiast I am disappointed...
    Quest in the Spring, no telling when a Rift version 2 might be forthcoming.

I get where they are going and how they are wanting to turn it into a very large market, but my desires and interests are in PC-VR only.
    I may be looking elsewhere now.
    Pretty bummed out myself.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    I don't like the idea of "Messenger" popping up in VR...    :|
    Quest has:
    - 1600x1440 per eye.
    - same lenses as Go
    - physical ipd adjust
    - same audio method as go but higher quality
    - 64gb

kojack said:
    Quest has:
    - 1600x1440 per eye.
    - same lenses as Go
    - physical ipd adjust
    - same audio method as go but higher quality
    - 64gb

Well - well worth £399.  Way cheaper than i expected.
    The Rift is still first - as I believe it should be  B)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,303
    Neo
    "Quest" might put some soccer moms off (sounds a bit D&D).

Good.

EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
    dburne said:
    Well being a Rift enthusiast I am disappointed...
    Quest in the Spring, no telling when a Rift version 2 might be forthcoming.

I get where they are going and how they are wanting to turn it into a very large market, but my desires and interests are in PC-VR only.
    I may be looking elsewhere now.
    Pretty bummed out myself.

But it means we don't have to upgrade video cards for a year and can await 7nm gpus  :D

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,019 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    He asked the wrong people about VR. I don't give a damn about been tethered if it means having a good update to CV1. Judging by what has been said so far, I don't hold out much hope for CV2 anytime soon or even next year. And next spring far to long to wait for SC..
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,303
    Neo
    edited September 2018
    Rift 2 WILL come, now isn't the time. Even if they ignored mobile, good tech takes time and a half assed rift 2 isn't desirable (could damage VR - pimax and vive pro janky shite is proof of that). I guess 2020 will be rift 2. For the things many of us really want in a CV2 it can't just be magicked up at good costs and good ergonomics. More to this game than sticking higher res screens in a margarine tub, ala pimax. 

They want to do it right first time, so they need more time. 

Also this will give Nvidia and AMD time to pull their fingers out of their A$$es on 7nm and stop holding the PC gamers to ransom for this 20x0 series overpriced, underpowered crap.  Perfect storm of GPUs, pricing, tech and new developments = 2020. Late 2019 at best.
    EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
    edited September 2018
    Enthusiasts are not going to push VR forward, mainstream console/casual mobile players will do. Multiplayer games servers for VR are a barren wasteland. I am happy they are being aggressive with pricing and happy they are focusing on more eyeballs in VR rather than catering to the ultra-enthusiast with a high-end PC rig.

LONE ECHO 2222!!!! oisajdkhfsoijdhffajsdfhalksjdfha;skdfhj

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,493 Valuable Player
    Stream is dying for me. Not sure if it's Oculus or Virgin Media being crap lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,753 Valuable Player
    $399 is totally in a budget for a lot of parents looking for something for their kids:) Plus worth to me to get as a gift xD Plus myself ;P 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,019 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    Sharpfish said:
    Rift 2 WILL come, now isn't the time. Even if they ignored mobile, good tech takes time and a half assed rift 2 isn't desirable (could damage VR - pimax and vive pro janky shite is proof of that). I guess 2020 will be rift 2. For the things many of us really want in a CV2 it can't just be magicked up at good costs and good ergonomics. More to this game than sticking higher res screens in a margarine tub, ala pimax. 

They want to do it right first time, so they need more time. 

Half assed are you joking? We've had a big updates to Cpu/Gpu since CV1, which could run on a Geforce 970, 2 years ago. So the tech is there for CV2 now, it doesn't have to be half assed..That's if they've even been working on CV2 with the new hardware at all. Sounds like their more for SC by the sounds of it..
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    I have go I have rift, I want better pc vr.....we going sideways not forwards imo
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Closes Home and restarts, hoping for something special...