New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Connect 5 MEGATHREAD Oculus Quest announced! Join the conversation!

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,713 Volunteer Moderator

I agree, good VR can't stay enthusiast, it has to grow faster than that.

My hope is that the cost of PC VR 2ng gen will come down below that of 1st gen cost at the equivalent time. So it will at least be a little less enthusiast.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Oh, looks just like the last Home.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,526 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    I have little doubt Rift CV2 or whatever it will be called will come eventually, but for me and likely many other PC-VR enthusiasts like myself we will have likely moved on to a different headset. Oculus focus is elsewhere right now.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    I think Quest makes Oculus Go obsolete.

It kind of makes Oculus Go not VR.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,317 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    Enthusiasts are not going to push VR forward, mainstream console/casual mobile players will do. Multiplayer games servers for VR are a barren wasteland. I am happy they are being aggressive with pricing and happy they are focusing on more eyeballs in VR rather than catering to the ultra-enthusiast with a high-end PC rig.

I fully agree - solutions for enthusiasts aren't going to move VR to the masses, maybe an approach with high-end, medium-end and low-end could work better (like the currect Quest-approach from Oculus with Rift-Quest-Go covering different segments)... 

But Space Junkies, Stormlands, and LONE ECHO 2  <3  Look's like Oculus still is focused on high-end stuff  ;)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,434 Volunteer Moderator
    I think Quest makes Oculus Go obsolete.

It kind of makes Oculus Go not VR.
    Go is still perfectly cromulent for watching 3D media and other less interactive experiences.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Agreed, 250 quid spent on this a few weeks ago and obsolete by spring :(
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    @P3nT4gR4m OMG Substance Painter for VR!!!!!! 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,754 Valuable Player
    Hybrid apps sounds awesome :O! 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,022 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:

Will be end of Spring no doubt, so 9 months or just under a year..
    RedRizla said:
    Techy111 said:

Will be end of Spring no doubt, so 9 months or just under a year..
    And ppl question why I ask GO will just be replace later:)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,713 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    I think I'd struggle with hybrid apps until I had much higher resolution VR. Larger UI's wouldn't be great for most pro apps given the number of pallets and tools needed I think. 
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
    Go will drop to £150 when Quest comes out i reckon.
    edited September 2018
    edit: and casting to mobile phones!  Very cool.

There's the upgrade to the Go @LZoltowski
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,417 Volunteer Moderator
    Zero framerate cost chromatic aberration correction on Go. Cool!

Hybrid apps sounds cool. I wonder...
    *checks oculus developer site*
    ...nope, latest PC sdk is still 1.26 from may. No experimenting tonight.

Saving the best for last the CV2 announcement..
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,317 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:

Wake me when Carmack starts talking  ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:

Wake me when Carmack starts talking  ;)
    That's tomorrows keynote.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,151 Valuable Player
    oops, I should have put my announcements in this thread, I wasn't paying attention to the forum stickies lol

The NBA coming to Oculus Venues is exciting!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Christ i thought he was going to announce Rift 2 then.  Jesus.
    Christ i thought he was going to announce Rift 2 then.  Jesus.

Mark Z already confirmed that a Rift 2 will be released. Hopefully we'll get more info on that of course.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    edited September 2018
    Quest, I like the name, price is about what i expected. Notice the silence & hesitant applause when they claim its Rift quality hmm lets see.
    I think deep down i knew rift 2 wasn't looking like a 2019 release the closer it got to connect but its disappointing.  

Hybrid apps is exciting.

I like the AR type of tech they demonstrated but that could be years away.   

Games nothing announced was quite disappointing Lone Echo looked like pretty much the same game, more like DLC, i would rather they just made a new game.  

One concern is that Quest will hold back the graphical quality on the Rift a bit like consoles do. 
    edited September 2018
    They are not saying rift quality, they are repeatedly saying - "A Rift like an experience" meaning 6doF and Touch controllers, not quality of games

WOA an arena size room!? Holy CRAP!
    Did he just say "Roomscale is for fannies!"

Yeah man!
    So apart from the GodRays, SC is just a CV1 that's not tethered to a PC? I really hope use CV1 owners hear about something new like the CV2 at this Connect show. I will be getting SC at $399, but I want a big CV1 upgrade not just an untethered SC. That's my last comment. Cheers!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Zero has tickled my fancy yet 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,494 Valuable Player
    That experimental version of Substance Painter is going to be amazing.

Disappointed about the release date for the Quest though. Means we won't see the CV2 until H2 next year now. And no teaser for it yet.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited September 2018
    They are not saying rift quality, they are repeatedly saying - "A Rift like an experience" meaning 6doF and Touch controllers, not quality of games

Pretty sure "Rift quality experiences" was what Mono-Mark said.

But that's by-the-by.  We know what he means.

Yep, and they also openly stated more than once that the Rift is the platform that lets us push the boundaries beyond the limitations of Quest and GO. Neither Quest nor GO will hold back Rift progress whatsoever.

Although they did give us insight in to what has been "taking so long." First, they wanted to finalize their 3 categories of First Gen products. That is accomplish with Rift, GO, and Quest.

Second, they were rebuilding the entire Rift Platform "from scratch, from the ground up." That is complete today with the new Oculus Home platform coming out of Beta and going live for everyone.