New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Connect 5 MEGATHREAD Oculus Quest announced! Join the conversation!

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,523 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Christ i thought he was going to announce Rift 2 then.  Jesus.

Mark Z already confirmed that a Rift 2 will be released. Hopefully we'll get more info on that of course.
    I am betting that is all that will be said about it. Their focus is elsewhere currently I think.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Zero has tickled my fancy yet 

Yep.  Superhot looks good.  You never know, might feel "different" in a Quest.

Probably not though.

Why is this man saying "cool", and "sick"?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,150 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    Zenbane said:
    Christ i thought he was going to announce Rift 2 then.  Jesus.

Mark Z already confirmed that a Rift 2 will be released. Hopefully we'll get more info on that of course.
    I am betting that is all that will be said about it. Their focus is elsewhere currently I think.

I'm inclined to agree. The current goal is to push Oculus Quest. Too much glorifying of the CV2 would harm Quest potential sales. This is all long-term strategy.

They also openly stated that current Rift projects are being worked on with releases through 2020.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,753 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    dudududududu duduadadduu dadduuuu - Death V Theme song :D
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    dudududududu duduadadduu dadduuuu

:D 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    I better clear all furniture from the entire flat before I get SC so I can light sabre the crap out of everything.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,753 Valuable Player
    You may have wonder why I have brought chu here;P
    Oculus Quest will Launch with Episode 1 of the new 3-Part Darth Vader series. OMG YES
    Say goodbye to Home 1.0 

*evil laugh*
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Investing Heavily in all 3 platforms.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,072 Valuable Player
    When can we pre-order Quest. We knew this was coming, let it have its moment. Should be great.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,710 Volunteer Moderator

Yep, this Connect is all about Quest.

Looks pretty good to me actually and at that price, will be a buy for me.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.836)
    Absolutely a must-buy for me. WIll be pre-ordering once available. I like how it embraces Mixed Reality as a platform.
    Zenbane said:
    Absolutely a must-buy for me. WIll be pre-ordering once available. I like how it embraces Mixed Reality as a platform.
    Definitely, insta buy for me.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,311 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    I do like the res and the 64GB:

"Now you can enjoy the best that VR gaming has to offer, starting at $399 USD for a 64GB headset—with the convenience and portability of all-in-one VR.

Quality Meets Comfort
    Oculus Quest includes the same best-of-class optics as Oculus Go with a display resolution of 1600x1440 per eye, while incorporating a lens spacing adjustment to help maximize visual comfort. And we’ve improved our built-in audio, so you get high-quality, immersive sound with even deeper bass."
    Source:  https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-oculus-quest-our-first-6dof-all-in-one-vr-system-launching-spring-2019/

Personally I think I'll wait for the CV2 (or get a new fresh CV1), but Quest does look *much* more interesting to me than GO.  

Maybe unintended, but at $399 Quest could be a serious competitor to XBox One/X and PS4 (if I was a kid/teenager with $400 I know what I'd choose ;-)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,019 Valuable Player
    I might have to purchase something like a Piemax, as a stop gap to CV2. If SC is coming in the spring of next year, then CV2 isn't coming in 2019, because they haven't even mentioned it. More like 2020 and that's to long away for me. I need a better resolution soon and hope Piemax isn't a total waste of time.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,523 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    I might have to purchase something like a Piemax, as a stop gap to CV2. If SC is coming in the spring of next year, then CV2 isn't coming in 2019, because they haven't even mentioned it. More like 2020 and that's to long away for me. I need a better resolution soon and hope Piemax isn't a total waste of time.
    Yeah that is the only thing, no really great alternatives at least at this time.
    Will see how Pimax does.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    RedRizla said:
    Yeah that is the only thing, no really great alternatives at least at this time.
    Will see how Pimax does.

Not many great alternatives because it's bloody difficult to make these, Oculus has billions of investment and as the guy on stage is saying, years away from consumer tech.

Yes, you can make a headset like Star VR but that is nowhere near mainstream with a supercomputer running it and the cost being prohibitive for the average user.

• nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    trust the stream to bork at the most interesting part. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Agreed, 250 quid spent on this a few weeks ago and obsolete by spring :(
    But surely you knew that when you bought. SC was always on the horizon
    Am I wrong to still hope for pc vr news or has that ship sailed now?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,264 Valuable Player
    fuck sake.. stream is fubar
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    edited September 2018
    dburne said:
    RedRizla said:
    Will see how Pimax does.

At this point I'd just like to see an update to CV1, if Cv2 isn't coming in 2019. Something like a better resolution CV1 with the OculusGO optics. Looks like even foveated Render is still some way away.

Oculus CV1 Pro anyone :D
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,431 Volunteer Moderator
    Argh, stream started cutting out during Abrash's speech. I'm at work anyway, so hopefully they have it all up on YouTube by the time I get home later.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Techy111 said:
    I think i agree with others although they may talk about emerging vr tech I don't think we will be given too many clues about cv2. I think 2020 is most likely release year. 

I think i'm prepared to be patient maybe if it takes a bit longer it just means it will have cooler technology. 
    edited September 2018
    Pimax talk? lol

I wonder when people on this forum will actually own a Pimax and speak to it first-hand, instead of using it as a "where's the CV2" soundbite.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,311 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    At this point I'd just like to see an update to CV1, if Cv2 isn't coming in 2019. Something like a better resolution CV1 with the OculusGO optics. Looks like even foveated Render is still some way away. 

That could work - I'd love to keep everything as it is and just get 1600x1440 per eye! 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    nrosko said:
    Techy111 said:
    I think i agree with others although they may talk about emerging vr tech I don't think we will be given too many clues about cv2. I think 2020 is most likely release year. 

I think i'm prepared to be patient maybe if it takes a bit longer it just means it will have cooler technology. 

Hate to say it, but could they scrap CV2, if SC does great when it's released next year? Why bother with CV2 if SC does great?
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,710 Volunteer Moderator
    Well I enjoyed Abrash's presentation, despite the interruptions.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.836)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,414 Volunteer Moderator
    Sadly the 1.31 release of Home 2.0 leaving beta still doesn't give us a better base house. That one is annoying, the columns, step, etc. I might actually use it if there was a better base mesh.

Well I enjoyed Abrash's presentation, despite the interruptions.
    Was anything worth while said after the audio bit? That's as far as I could watch before it died.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,493 Valuable Player
    Well I was expecting another tease of the CV2 at least but we didn't even get that!!! Very disappointed tbh.

Could still be released in 2019 but it'll be H2 instead of H1. If they wait until 2020 then I'll probably get a Pimax 5K+ as long as Pimax don't take the piss regarding the price of the thing.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever