New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Rift Release 1.31 Rolling Out Now (Live)

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,851 Oculus Staff
edited October 4 in Oculus Rift + Touch
Today at Oculus Connect, we shared some exciting updates about the future of Rift. Core 2.0 is out of beta — and now known as the new Rift Platform. Soon, everyone will be using Home and Dash. We've put a ton of work into improving performance and look and feel, and can't wait to hear what you think. Release notes for 1.31 can be found below — and be sure to visit the Rift blog for more info.
  • Dash
    • We're launching Experiments, a proving ground for experimental features aren't ready for official release. You can toggle individual experiments via the Settings tab within Dash. Some of the first experimental features available for testing:
      • Oculus Desktop Window Pullout
      • Wristwatch
      • Window Controls
    • Various design improvements to increase usability.
    • Various performance improvements and fixes, including an issue with Library sorting
  • Home:
    • New themed item collections: Spooky, Pirate, and Retro-Modern.
    • Customer Developer Items
      • Developers can now give out special Home objects and decor as gameplay rewards and achievements (live with initial partners, opening to all developers soon).
    • User generated content
      • Home now supports the playback of skinned animations for user generated content
      • Fixed an issue where user generated content would sometimes not show up in Home
    • We've revamped the UI to improve usability.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 327
    Trinity
    edited September 26
    OK Cyber, what did you change between 17:30 and 19:04?  I was typing a reply when the forum told me there was nothing to reply to!

Think my PC is just downloading it :wink:

Yep: version 1.31.1 0******   now have to see what it's like.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    Gryzor22x said:
    Please give us the possibility to start a game without oculus home running, like selecting the old home aplication. With OCULUS home running in background, I have between 5-10% less performance than with 1.30 version.
    Yeah, +1 on that (again). Now that we won't have opportunity to use Home 1 anymore, please give us chance to disable Home 2 from running whe used i.e. Youtube VR (with Oculus Support) from Steam VR..
    [email protected], Rog Strix 1080 a8g in range 139MHz-1974MHz, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    And i STILL want non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash
  • Gryzor22xGryzor22x Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Netheri said:
    Gryzor22x said:
    Please give us the possibility to start a game without oculus home running, like selecting the old home aplication. With OCULUS home running in background, I have between 5-10% less performance than with 1.30 version.
    Yeah, +1 on that (again). Now that we won't have opportunity to use Home 1 anymore, please give us chance to disable Home 2 from running whe used i.e. Youtube VR (with Oculus Support) from Steam VR..
    Cyber: pleae give us the possibility to not using home while playing some high demanding games like project cars 2 or DCS World. Having home 2 in the background its high-memory resource hog.
    NerveGear
    kojack said:
    If you don't want Home 2 running, you can stop it now. Hacky, but it works.
    Go into C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64 and rename or delete the file Home2-Win64-Shipping.exe
    That's Home. If that isn't found, Dash still works, you still have your library and can launch games and stuff, but there's no home loaded (or store), you just get a bare empty scene instead.

Or you can replace the exe with your own vr program as a home alternative. :)

Of course at some point the software will probably checksum and detect the exe is missing/wrong and redownload it, but I haven't seen that happen yet.

That doesn´t work, every time you see a Dash error message over the game screen. I just not want to have home2 loaded in memory just for saving resources.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,527 Volunteer Moderator
    Gryzor22x said:
    kojack said:
    Go into C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64 and rename or delete the file Home2-Win64-Shipping.exe
    That's Home. If that isn't found, Dash still works, you still have your library and can launch games and stuff, but there's no home loaded (or store), you just get a bare empty scene instead.

Of course at some point the software will probably checksum and detect the exe is missing/wrong and redownload it, but I haven't seen that happen yet.

That doesn´t work, every time you see a Dash error message over the game screen. I just not want to have home2 loaded in memory just for saving resources.
    I've just completed a song in Beat Saber, flew around in Google Earth and drew in Oculus Medium, all with no dash error and no Home loaded.

• tom.helleytom.helley Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Gryzor22x said:

+1 on this for me as well! Running Elite Dangerous without Oculus is the only way I've found to run it without crashes; and I use a gtx1080 w/16gb of memory and an 8600k so my system should be more than capable.
  • mark555055omark555055o Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited September 26
    1.31 is working well. The stuttering I had in home in 1.30 is gone.
    GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 Z97 | [email protected] | Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB DDR3 1866MHz | MSI GTX 1080 Duke | Samsung Evo 860 500GB

Art3mis
    edited September 27
    kojack said:

How much easier it would be to have selections in Oculus desktop app "enable/disable Home2 when using Rift" and "keep/don't keep dash & library in use when Home2 is disabled".

Edit: And yes, i have sent the feedback about non-mandatory loading of Home2 through feedback option on desktop app. It just seems that the devs are taking feedback through there as vividly as from these forums==none.
    [email protected], Rog Strix 1080 a8g in range 139MHz-1974MHz, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
  • MPiresMPires Posts: 66
    Brain Burst
    I did not have any problems with the upgrade but I noticed that the Rift is warmer on its top. Will not it be worrying?
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,253 Volunteer Moderator
    The UI update is fantastic, so much cleaner and makes way more sense now. Bravo to the team.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 966
    Neo
    YUP!
    NerveGear
    Netheri said:
    Gryzor22x said:
    Cyber: Please give us the possibility to not using home while play some high demanding games like project cars 2 or DCS World. Now without home 1, its totally impossible.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,851 Oculus Staff
    If you're running a recommended system, you should have the resources for Home 2.0 to work along with any games. However, we'd like to look into these performance issues being reported. If you're having a problem, please upload your LogGatherer zip file here and we can take a look. See this thread for how to get the file. Thanks. https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    Sorry but I’m a bit confused.  When 1.31 goes mainstream do we all have to switch over to core 2 home?
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 638
    Neo
    edited September 28
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Sorry but I’m a bit confused.  When 1.31 goes mainstream do we all have to switch over to core 2 home?

Seems so - I greatly dislike Core2 Home, and I love the classic Home. I might explain in a later post what I think is the main problem if Oculus thinks it's a great idea to force users to a more advanced platform. Like one person wrote as a comment to the blog:

"The problem I have with all the new Home/Dash stuff over the simple old Home room is that it's a clunky and convoluted mess. Sure, there's MUCH MORE!! stuff (fluff), but the experience is just far less satisfying for me. I will choice something executed near flawlessly that's really clean, simple and intutive to use over loads of options and features that are all a bit unpolished and clumky every single day of the week. The new Home/Dash to me feels like when Nintendo tries to add the likes of motion controls into every single game to show off the tech without thinking that sometimes it's just not needed or wanted, like waggling to jump in the Mario and Donkey Kong platformers for example--that's just gimmicky trash imo, and I'll choose precision and responsiveness every single time. That's the new Home/Dash as far as I'm concerned--a feature that's just there to try and prove the virtues of Touch and the like, but is ultimately just far less intutive and fun to actually use and get to what you want without any clunkiness and fuss than the much simpler and imo far superior Home they had in the first place. Thank God it's still an option to stick with the classic Home--for now."
    https://www.oculus.com/blog/rift-updates-at-oc5-new-games-and-core-software/

There's a reason why the Win10 desktop looks like it does - MS have users aged 5 to 100. The more choices you allow users to be able to make, the more bells and whistles, the more you potentially increase the cognitive burden of the user interface.

Zuckerberg loves to show that even Grandma uses the Rift, and while a lot of young men aged 25 - 35 may dominate the forums in here and love new tech, I'm pretty sure Grandma uses classic Home and won't enjoy being forced to move.
    I use classic Home because I'm forcing super sampling 2.0 and it works perfectly (90 fps) in classic Home. If I get 45 fps ASW in core2 Home because of tons of stuff I don't care about at all - I will not be happy. So just make sure that Core2 Home isn't more hardware demanding than classic Home - or you've just made the Rift even more inaccessible to persons who don't have a fast PC. 
    Don't destroy what people know and love, because you think you know what's best (normal people have normal IQs, they aren't stupid, they don't choose classic Home because they don't know what's better for them) - the solution could be simple: give your users and faithful supporters a choice - or set advanced Home as default, and change the simple (classic) Home to beta. 2c.

BTW, even though the lab did verify the re-centering error in classic Home many weeks (months?) ago, it still hasn't been fixed. 

Maybe it's time to unplug my rig from the internet - to save the home I love so much from complete destruction ;) Also classic Home is Oculus legacy! Maybe it's just me, but I love to relax in classic Home after a long day, just listening to the fire and the water while downloading something - and I just love that carpet (in ss 2.0) <3 

I don't know if all the words written in here are completely wasted, hopefully Cybereality can mention to relevant colleagues there we're many who think that destroying classic Home is a really bad move (and I'll take those words back if less than 3% uses classic Home - but if 10+ % still uses classic Home, I'd be extremely careful not to destroy classic Home).
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 300
    Nexus 6
    Removing stuff is always a d*ck move, how can they not know that? At least they could say "we removed it because [...]". Give a reason for their actions.
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300 HD @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"Friendship power is good, but laser beams are still more powerful."
  • svx94svx94 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Would be nice to allow a large screen in home to be used as PC monitor, so I can see Windows as part of my home...
    edited September 28
    svx94 said:
    Would be nice to allow a large screen in home to be used as PC monitor, so I can see Windows as part of my home...

You can, they are called Special Objects in the items menu.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Nexus 6
    edited September 28
    So, performance in 1.31 seems fine, but only with the latest NVidia drivers (I had to update it to get stable perf in VR). I have no stutter in Home, it's a constant yellow (stable and smooth). Haven't tried games yet.

Now I have one major issue: Oculus Desktop shows a black screen. Does anyone know how to get back the display? I tried some stuff with the NVidia Control Panel, put "high performance" everywhere, but it didn't help...
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300 HD @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.

edited September 28
    So, performance in 1.31 seems fine, but only with the latest NVidia drivers (I had to update it to get stable perf in VR). I have no stutter in Home, it's a constant yellow (stable and smooth). Haven't tried games yet.

Now I have one major issue: Oculus Desktop shows a black screen. Does anyone know how to get back the display? I tried some stuff with the NVidia Control Panel, put "high performance" everywhere, but it didn't help...

Have you seen this? https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69754/dash-issue-fix-for-latest-nvidia-driver-and-intel-cpus#latest

I have my intel chipset disabled in bios and drivers uninstalled for Intel Graphics, been like that ever since I got the rift, never had any issues what so ever with any NV driver version or home version (beta or not) for 2 years now.

Nexus 6
    edited September 28
    Yes I did... a few days ago and I completely forgot about it xD!
    Anyway, I just tried it, it didn't work... And I don't think I can disable the iGPU on my laptop, but I'll look into it. Thanks!

EDIT : I stand corrected: I can indeed disable the iGPU and it does give me back Oculus Desktop, but it screws up everything else xD.
    Okay, I just found a fix, I used Windows' Device Manager and downloaded the latest driver of the iGPU from there. I hate this configuration lol.
    Previous VR face :

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,565 Valuable Player
    I just miss the voice control to launch games:/
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Art3mis
    edited September 28
    If you're running a recommended system, you should have the resources for Home 2.0 to work along with any games. However, we'd like to look into these performance issues being reported. If you're having a problem, please upload your LogGatherer zip file here and we can take a look. See this thread for how to get the file. Thanks. https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    Yeah, well IF majority of the Rift users are having the resources for Home 2 to work along with any games and apps but MANY of us STILL wants the option to disable mandatory Home 2 to be run in backround but still would like to enjoy (or doesn't) from Dash belt, is it really something that the dev team doesn't want to do? What you personally think, if "some" users would rather have "Home free" system than "nice coach to add in the home 2", how hyped thay are about the new coach, which when added just takes another bit of memory and gpu+cpu time from the actual things we want to play, paint, model etc.?

Another point, when I used the log gatherer regarding other issue, no matter did i choose 1 hour or 24 hour, whole system or just Oculus thingies in the log, the file got so big that the support systems receiving end didn't let me even send it.  :D 
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 327
    Trinity
    Dunno about Grandma, but this Grandpa is quite happy using Home 2.0 or whatever comes along - can't say I've ever noticed any performance hit in gaming with it but that may just be my poor ol' eyes :p

Levity aside, maybe I am just one of those folk who can live with multiple applications residing in the task list without being overly bothered, about the only thing that hogs resources on my machine is win 10 updates and the snail-like progress to download them, even over BT's top-rated fibre!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 638
    Neo
    edited September 28
    RattyUK said:
    Dunno about Grandma, but this Grandpa is quite happy using Home 2.0 or whatever comes along - can't say I've ever noticed any performance hit in gaming with it but that may just be my poor ol' eyes :p

Levity aside, maybe I am just one of those folk who can live with multiple applications residing in the task list without being overly bothered, about the only thing that hogs resources on my machine is win 10 updates and the snail-like progress to download them, even over BT's top-rated fibre!

GTX 1070 is quite good. If you have the time, try to install Oculus Tray Tool and set Global Super Sampling to 2.0. Do you still like Home 2.0? Grandpa is still happy and smiling? ;-)

If not, try lowering it to 1.8 - Home 2.0 is now better? 

Moss (maxed setting) and Transference (maxed settings) and many more games run at 90+ fps using super sampling 2.0 on my rig, and text in Dash really needs ss 2.0 to be readable (like in Big Screen and more). If Home 2.0 has higher hardware requirements than Moss or Transference that would be really bad in my opinion... The last time I tested Home 2.0 hardware requirements were much higher than Moss, Windlands 2 and Transference (= I got 45 fps ASW or worse), so Oculus really needs to push some serious magic here - I have not tried 1.31.

I do get it that some persons may find it fun to have collections like below, personally such stuff would really annoy me and I greatly hope that such rooms can be completely deleted - although I do recognize the objects, it really looks like kindergarten (a play room) to me:

Would be great to have different options - I'd like a basic Home 2.0 completely free of any junk and rooms (and scenic vistas) and stuff I don't want - ok, maybe a few items - maybe a Home 2.0 Basic that looks and performs exactly like classic Home ;-)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)