Best resolution for 360 and 360 3D panoramas for Oculus Gallery — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Best resolution for 360 and 360 3D panoramas for Oculus Gallery

I have been doing 360 panoramas for virtual tours for a couple of years now.
Now I own a Go and loaded some of those panoramas to the internal storage in the resolution I had them - normally 5k by 10k
Initialising the internal memory took loooong and that got me thinking.
The resolution of 5k by 10k is probably way too high and will be down-sampled

BUT what I could not find anywhere is - what would be the ideal resolution and format for the Oculus Gallery???

All I could find is https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/vrweb/latest/concepts/carmel-360-photos/#carmel-360-photos   which mentions 5120x2560 but I am not sure that applies to panoramas shown via the Gallery as well??

Second question is about 360 3D images - again - what would be the ideal resolution?
I loaded some into the internal memory and none of them were recognised as 360 3D images - they are in 1x1 aspect ratio over/under format. Once the image is loaded (but not really displayed) I can change (have to change each and every one of them) manually that it is a 360 3D image - surely something that should happen automatically - do I need to observe some naming convention for that to happen??

Has anybody a bit more information about image formats and resolutions for the Oculus Go??

Cheers

Comments

• moonkrjmoonkrj Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I was using Cardboard Demos app and some of my impressions and experience:

13k x 6,5k - as for me, it's quite a good choice for professional pics, and reliably extraordinary. I feel this shouldn't have any effect contrasted with 10000, however having this could maybe conceal camera or resize obscurity.
    10k x 5k- scenes look awesome, urban conditions with a considerable measure of detail can be alright, contingent upon the center subject. It may be the point of the screen limit, anyway perhaps post-handling done at this goals can botch it up.
    6k x 3k or less - practically all the pictures look to some degree smirched/foggy through the focal points.
    8k x 4k - things start falling into place from it.

Cardboard Demos user and Oculus VR Community member do my homework for money reviews.

• uriel.deveauduriel.deveaud Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    hi, i would like also to know the best resolution for images 360 for the oculus Go ... ?

i use myself 8k and it is great, (i didn't know that it could be loaded more than this without lagging) but 12k, i will definitively give a try, thx
  • bernd.kronmuellerbernd.kronmueller Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    That is why I am asking for the ideal resolution - no point in loading big images (loading time and memory) if they get down-sampled anyway - the re-sampling usually introduces just another source which can/will lower the image quality. 
  • uriel.deveauduriel.deveaud Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    so finally, someone knows the best ideal resolution for 360 picture ? the biggest size without re-sampling issue ...
  • mediavrmediavr Posts: 234
    Art3mis
    I use 8000 *8000 with OU stereo panos using 360Photos app with Go and it works fine. Better than anything else i think
  • NicolasWicartNicolasWicart Posts: 1
    NerveGear

Hi,

I am new on Occulus Go and have the same two questions:
    Best resolution for 360 3D Panorama?
    Is there a way to automatically show the 360 3D Panorama as such on the occulus Gallery?

Any official answer?

• h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    I'm rendering 360 pictures @ 7744x3872. That's the resolution my Nikon keymission took for their shots.