Need some advise on a part of sculpt — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Need some advise on a part of sculpt

Hello everyone,

I'm just starting out using medium and working on my first sculpt (A Genesect from the pokemon games, pictured below) and I'm having trouble creating the abdomen (The part the legs are connected to).

It has 4 sides each curved convexly vertically and horizontally with defined edges connecting the sides together.

I'm not asking anyone to make this for me, just some advice on possible methods on how to make it, its my first "real" sculpt and I want to test myself.

If you do have any other general tips, please leave them here.

Thanks  :) ,

EvoTheWanderer

Comments

• DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 724
    3Jane
    edited September 2018
    It's an unusual shape, and it sounds like you want a fairly hard surface to it.

Without putting on my headset, I think the most precise way to go about that  and keep the edges sharp would  probably be (assuming I'm visualizing this properly):

1. make a rectangle
    2.  align one of the edges to the mirror. (The aligned edge would be where the spine is) 
    3.  Then I'd use the sphere or one of the primitives to cut away the curve (using clay remove instead of add).
    This would give the side indents.   You could smooth +/or use the move tool to get those curves where you want them, they'd remain symmetrical from the back
    4. Then use the same process along the spine, so the shape you are using for the cut overlaps, which would leave a sharp, but curved ridge where the spine is.
    5.  Adjust it to your liking (move, inflate, smooth, etc)
    6.  At this point you have the back half and some extra material on the front.  You'll want to remove the front half now.
    7.  Take the square clay (in removal mode), and put the plane tool on, and cut away the front, leaving a flat surface there. 
    8.  Where you made the cut, put the flat edge along the mirror plane (or flip the mirror 90 degrees) (since the front is going to look like the back.
    9.  Duplicate the remaining material
    10.  Flip

Alternately, since it's a four way symmetry, you could just do one of the quadrants (again by cutting away from a square/rectangle), and shaping it.   Clone it, flip it.  Merge those layers, clone and flip.

Hope that made sense. 

Other approaches:

A completely different approach would be to use the lathe, with an eye towards getting the curvature set, then chop away until you had the the quadrant.  Then use  the above technique to merge them.  The merged product could then be sliced or shaped, at the top/bottom. 

A more advanced technique would be to  using merge (subtract/intersect, etc), but that's kind of tricky to explain.

The last method would to do it more organically and eyeball it. Put the mirror on (for symmetry) and add clay and smooth it and/or tweak it with the move tool until you got the half or quadrant you wanted.  Turn the mirror off and cut along that plane, then clone and flip. 

There might be some other ways to do this, but these are the ones that come to mind.  You could take an hourglass or vaselike stamp from the primitives and modify it, possibly.

Once you have completed the shape, or a half/quadrant, you might consider making a stamp out of it, so it's available if you plan on creating similar characters.

Hope that helps, or at least gives you some ideas on how to go about it

• EvoTheWandererEvoTheWanderer Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the tips,
    I'll post pictures when I've got it down.
  • EvoTheWandererEvoTheWanderer Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    So after a couple of incarnations, I've arrived at something i'm quite happy with: 

I decided to use the quadrant method you mentioned, where I used the below custom segment to start.

I decided to just cut sections off in straight lines to maintain the "geometic" style I was going for (instead of cutting the segments out in a single curved cut) and using a weak smooth tool to remove the obvious edges.
    After duplicating and merging to get a half, and again to get the full thing, I removed where the edges crossed over using a cube primative.
    After doing this, I added the connector at the top which is partially hidden by the body section.
    I decided to dump the idea of a "double-convex" surface because I not that skilled atm, may return to it at a later date.
    Also saved it as a stamp, it will most certainly come in handy at a later date.

Thanks for the advice mate :smiley:
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 724
    3Jane
    The solid geometric has nice sharp edges.   Looks like you have a slight dent in the complex shape.  Not sure if you nicked it with the square or the half didn't copy right.  If it was a copy issue, you can limit that by working in a higher resolution, which will also give sharper edges.  Of course, if it ends up being in a non-visible area, doesn't matter at all.  If it's visible, but doesn't need to be precise, its a good opportunity to practice with the inflate and smooth tools. 

If you want to sharpen that up you can use the square as a negative shape and plane tool to cut away half of the object along the seam. place the mirror along the cutaway portion, duplicate and flip.  Doing that will leave you with a fairly sharp seam, which you can tone down or leave, whichever you prefer.

Anyhow,  looks like you got the process figured out. Shape looks good for that kind of critter. Glad the instructions made enough sense. 

Happy sculpting!