New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

ASW 2.0

nroskonrosko Posts: 954
Neo
So i was a little disappointed that Oculus didn't announce anything regarding software enhancements to improve performance (other than foveated rendering thats some time away). 
But here is some really exciting news about ASW. 
https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9jptp1/asynchronous_spacewarp_20_coming_soon_via_rift/

This could be really huge for those of us playing the likes of Elite DCS or those that push the PD really high. 

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Wow, that is amazing news, they are now using the depth buffer to help with estimation, that is really good news. I wonder when we get to play with it.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Hopefully soon. Actually i was wrong about it not being announced at connect. It was hidden in one of the keynotes. I guess i'm just surprised that more of a bigger deal isn't being made. 
    nrosko said:
    Hopefully soon. Actually i was wrong about it not being announced at connect. It was hidden in one of the keynotes. I guess i'm just surprised that more of a bigger deal isn't being made. 

The main Keynote was more consumer-focused, I think it would have gone over everyone's head.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,104 Valuable Player
    I was expecting Carmack to mention it during his appearance tbh. Means I can up the ante in Elite Dangerous soonish!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 465
    Trinity
    Thank you so much, I missed this announcement and was like "why the hell didn't we hear about ASW, did they give up on it?". Nice to see the artifacts will be immensely reduced! Now I just wish it could be implemented in the Rift itself, not in the apps, because it's a hurdle to know what game uses it and what does not... Hopefully the Rift software can have it implemented natively, like a "global setting" of some sort.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,705 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    I thought ASW was for the Rift and not in the software people make for it? I thought you could use ASW on any game, but I'll have to test it now.
    Yeah ASW is part of the core Rift software, it works on everything .. as far as I know.

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    Mmm, this ASW 2.0 can possibly resolve the visual problem with propellers in IL-2. Tons of persons (including me) disable ASW due to this. As alternative some use a mod to remove the propellers, but I can't live without it to keep  immersion. If it's resolved with ASW 2.0, then YEEPPEE! ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Well like most I know of that currently Disable ASW to stop judder, I do hope this can be of use.
    Yeah ASW is part of the core Rift software, it works on everything .. as far as I know.

If the engine that the game uses passes a depth buffer to the Rift then it will work automatically. I think it's a checkbox that you enable in the Unreal and Unity engines that isn't on by default so a developer would simply need to check that box and recompile.

Should be easy enough for developers using their own in-house engines to do the same I would have thought.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

snowdog said:

If the engine that the game uses passes a depth buffer to the Rift then it will work automatically. I think it's a checkbox that you enable in the Unreal and Unity engines that isn't on by default so a developer would simply need to check that box and recompile.

Should be easy enough for developers using their own in-house engines to do the same I would have thought.
    Ah true that, I assumed they all do anyway already. 

Trinity
    edited October 2018
    I thought ASW was for the Rift and not in the software people make for it? 
    The game engine has to implement it. Unity and UE games will have it for sure, there's no doubt. But the games built on other engines may not have it. I'm pretty sure I don't have ASW in Skyrim VR. After dozens of hours, I never noticed the infamous artifacts. That said I may be wrong (hopefully I'm wrong :D ).
    Current VR results imo:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

The game engine has to implement it. Unity and UE games will have it for sure, there's no doubt. But the games built on other engines may not have it. I'm pretty sure I don't have ASW in Skyrim VR. After dozens of hours, I never noticed the infamous artifacts. That said I may be wrong (hopefully I'm wrong :D ).
    Yeah, Skyrim has ASW, it kicked in when I added a mod that made my GPU scream out in mercy, if I moved my hand fairly fast you could see the distortions galore.

All games will automatically have ASW 1.0. It's 2.0 that needs the depth buffer info passed by the engine. I had to turn off ASW for Skyrim VR because it made my grass mod appear like the grass was underwater lol :o :D :D :D

• GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 112
    Art3mis
    Wait, is ASW 2.0 available to use already?
    GeekyGami said:

Nope, not yet. Will probably come with the 1.31 or 1.32 update I reckon.

• ThmoasThmoas Posts: 320
    Trinity
    In Elite when I crank up the graphics it looks pretty and I don't have stutters or any obivous artifacting when looking out the window. However, the GUI elements inside the ship (sliders, buttons, text etc...) they get very obvious artifacting. Like they have a blobby trail ... it's hard to describe but very annoying.

I saw an example screenshot o ASW2.0 and it looks like this new version might address that. That would be really really cool as I put of playing Elite because I can't get the graphics high enough to my taste and a game like this I want to play it in (almost) all its glory.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,705 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    GeekyGami said:

Nope, not yet. Will probably come with the 1.31 or 1.32 update I reckon.

Rift 1.31 is already rolling out so it can't be in that unless someone hasn't noticed it?
  • 2ndLastJedi2ndLastJedi Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Any new news on this ? I will be super keen to leave ASW on and increase my settings a bit if it looks anything like the preview clip !
    Trinity
    ASW is still in its 1.0 version with 1.31 update, that's for sure.
    Let's wait for a few weeks, I have high hopes that ASW 2.0 comes with the next update.
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.

ASW is still in its 1.0 version with 1.31 update, that's for sure.
    Let's wait for a few weeks, I have high hopes that ASW 2.0 comes with the next update.

Probably the one after (which should be in a few weeks as you've suggested). We'll probably see a hotfix update before then to fix the issues with 1.31, maybe as soon as the next few days.

• 2ndLastJedi2ndLastJedi Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Has there been any new information on ASW 2.0 ?
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,453
    Project 2501
    Has there been any new information on ASW 2.0 ?

Ya, I'm looking forward to this as well!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,767 Valuable Player
    Don't game developers have to support ASW2 as well?
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,535 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    I'm a bit out of the loop - but I thought as long as they support ASW 1.0 - then 2.0 should be supported.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,453
    Project 2501
    Mradr said:
    dburne said:
    I'm a bit out of the loop - but I thought as long as they support ASW 1.0 - then 2.0 should be supported.
    Ya, I’d think that would be the case.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• DoogukDooguk Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Mradr said:
    dburne said:

I read recently that developers have to include support for 2.0 in their project.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,598 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Only games that pass depth buffers to the oculus runtime would be able to get ASW 2 automatically. Any game released before Oculus runtime 1.19 won't support it without code changes. (Maybe they'd get partial support, but the full ASW 2 needs certain data that earlier games don't supply)