New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Are you unable to start Medium? Are you crashing?

jessicazetajessicazeta Posts: 127 Oculus Staff

We’ve been noticing a rash of “Medium: Failure to Start” reports. After an investigation, we’ve found that sometimes Vulkan, a fairly new graphics API we started using with 2.0,  will fail to initialize and cause Medium not to start.

Most of the time, the failure to initialize is due to an out of date graphics driver issue. The normal driver upgrade process doesn’t always reliably resolve this problem:  the drivers are corrupt, or the install didn’t do so correctly. To amend, we recommend a manual upgrade process following the instructions below:

In some cases, Medium is simply incompatible with a PC configuration. If you fall under this category, please feel free to email [email protected] to be rolled back to Version 1.3.3 to continue sculpting in Medium.

If you've already made sure you're on the latest graphic card, please post with the following information for fastest support: 
  • Include your Oculus_Medium.log from C:\Users\{username}\AppData\LocalLow\Oculus\Medium\log
  • Include your GPU/ CPU/ OS

Thanks!

Comments

• StYoukiiStYoukii Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi, like a lot of people I have a fatal error on Medium launch.

My monitor is plugged on the same video card than my Rift, I allready uninstalled, installed driver, Quill works

Windows 7
    i5-4670
    16Go ram
    GeForce GTX TITAN V

Thanks for help

• jessicazetajessicazeta Posts: 127 Oculus Staff
    edited October 8
    Hey @StYoukii, unfortunately looks like you've hit the exact problem I'm describing in my post (I can tell because your logs show "Vulkan verify failure (-4) at line 453 of src\Vulkan\renderDeviceVulkan.cpp") 

Please update your graphics drivers and repair your Vulkan drivers according to the instructions posted.  Let me know if you run into problems there!