New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

In Death " The Afterlife " Update 1.0

Comments

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    I'm curious about the orphans, too. They were supposed to be unlocked when I did my last couple attempts, and I scoured the first level good and thoroughly, but never found a single one.  Exactly how well are they hidden?
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,116 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    CrashFu said:
    I'm curious about the orphans, too. They were supposed to be unlocked when I did my last couple attempts, and I scoured the first level good and thoroughly, but never found a single one.  Exactly how well are they hidden?
    According to the no.1 guy playing this game, they're probably on a timer, so if you don't find them quick enough they're gone. Sort of an incentive to NOT take it too slow :smile:

Personally I've killed (saved) two, and had 1 get away.

EDIT: Oh and they aren't hidden as such.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    edited October 2018
    Oh, so it's like... Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the SNES.  Got it.

(Side note:  who currently owns the rights to THAT intellectual property, anyways?  Because ZAMN VR is something I could really get behind, lol)

EDIT:  Oh!  I found an orphan.  Once on each of two separate playthroughs. First one ran into a room so packed with enemies that I couldn't clear them out in time to chase it before it escaped  (no big area-clearing arrows on hand at that moment, sadly).  Nailed the second one, though.. I didn't even clear Anakin or w/e that playthrough but still managed to top my previous high score, lol.

Kinda weird to just... straight up shoot a toddler, even if it does sound like it's enjoying the process.  Wasn't there some kind of rule in video games that children have to be immortal, or is that just Bethesda's thing? lol
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    Slowly getting better at this - Just killed 2nd incarnation of Anakim, and took a break before starting PL2. I don't know how to check scores mid-game, but I think I must be pretty close to 400k :sunglasses:
    Visited 3 pits and got 2 or 3 orphans.

• JohnRBJohnRB Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I notice that on start up, the old screen doesn't show up
    How do you now change things like left or right handed. I'm left and if someone else whats to try it, looks like they need to be left handed how.
    edited October 2018
    Heh, all proud of my score so far I stumbled across a steam thread where the top dogs are duking it out.. Gonzaxpain just broke 10 million, reaching Purgatory 14 after more than 13 hours of gameplay. Hot dang, that's just insane. :astonished:
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,062 Valuable Player
    I am slowly working up.....now 302.  LOL!!

DAMN YOU WILDT!!!!!  :D:D:D:D:D
    Digikid1 said:
    I am slowly working up.....now 302.  LOL!!

DAMN YOU WILDT!!!!!  :D:D:D:D:D
    Soooowyyy. Anywho, do you know how to see your score mid-game?
    Just when I die and get to see the scoreboard.  Sadly you cannot see your friends score.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,160 Valuable Player
    CrashFu said:
     Well they've obviously been adopted lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Pfffff! Died in P3 just before going down to Anakim. Those archers will lock onto you as they start pulling their bow, and even though you teleport behind them just before they fire *BAM!* aimbot 180 degree autoturn  :angry:

I have to learn that and time the teleports better.

Just wanted to pass along some cheese that the top players seem to use. Just like in Robo Recall where you could slow down time by activating pressing the teleport button (but not teleporting), you can do the same in this game with the arrow selection button. So if you teleport into a tight spot, don't flee in panic. Press the button, work out your strategy Super Hot style, and go from there. Shoot, pause, think, shoot, pause, teleport, pause etc. etc. 

In Robo Recall this was only possible in normal difficulty, and was super effective when lining up sniper shots (shooting canceled the teleport). In all-star mode there was no slo-mo cheese, so  I ended up only playing that. I hope the In death devs do something similar.

edited October 2018
    @CrashFu
    In case you still haven't seen the orphans, I did a little video where I hurried more than I should've to give you an idea how to find the first one, and at what speed while still clearing all the enemies before it. I'm reckless and mega fail, but it served a purpose :wink:

Btw, what really killed me was a dancing archer.. it's around 10:20, and I was awestruck :lol:

You're a beast, @Wildt !   And that was quite the diversionary tactic by that archer, lol.. distracted you long enough to get sneak-attacked.

Watching some of those rapid-shots makes me think it'd be fun if they'd implement some stupidly overpowered weapon like an AK-47 or something.. bar you from leaderboards or achievement progress on any run you use it, just a "for funsies" kind of thing.
    I hereby dub that mode as “ let the shit hit the fan “ mode. 

Called it. 
    @Digikid1  - The devs are resetting the leaderboards this week along with a new patch that rebalances some stuff.
    So we can duke it out for top score again :smiley:

I think I already got that patch. There was a 890GB upgrade yesterday for it that was installed. 
    edited October 2018
    Digikid1 said:
    I think I already got that patch. There was a 890GB upgrade yesterday for it that was installed. 
    Nah, that wasn't the rebalancing patch afaik.

EDIT: That must've been Patch 24901

edited October 2018
    edited October 2018
    Wildt said:
    There what is?  Your link is only a http and nothing else. LOL

Here I think I fixed it for you. 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/605450/announcements/detail/1699439264753044960

Yup got the new update.  LOVE how that when you die it puts a pic of EVERYONE that you killed behind you.

edited October 2018
    Finally got around to play for a couple of hours after the patch. Paradise Lost is quite a bit harder now.
    Finished with a decent run where I got to the last bit of PL2 before Gabriel, and I got cocky and sloppy.

edited October 2018
    Wildt said:
    Finally got around to play for a couple of hours after the patch. Paradise Lost is quite a bit harder now.
    Finished with a decent run where I got to the last bit of PL2 before Gabriel, and I got cocky and sloppy.

I hate you so much right now. LOL. J/k

• NeokinNeokin Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    Digikid1 said:
    Yup got the new update.  LOVE how that when you die it puts a pic of EVERYONE that you killed behind you.

I never saw my killings! Is it since the new update? I haven't had the time to try it yet.
    Neokin said:
    Digikid1 said:

I never saw my killings! Is it since the new update? I haven't had the time to try it yet.
    Yup. When you die look behind you. It’s quite a neat idea. 
    edited October 2018
    In the middle of a promising run. Finally made it to P3 and the last score I saw right before Gabriel was 524k, so I know I've beaten my record :relieved::sunglasses:

Gonna continue tomorrow..
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,301 Valuable Player
    Just had my first game in this for a couple of months - forgot just how much fun it is - and how painful for my left shoulder!

Was amazed how far I got, considering being out of practise - but I have never bought any upgrades. I got offered them once, but wasn't able to complete the transaction for some reason.

It's a shame there isn't a multiplayer option. That would be fun as co-op.

That would be a killer feature. 
    I made the top ten! :sunglasses:

ok spill it.  What is your secret???