cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

games UNPLAYABLE with the new FORCED Dash update

nikgrid
Explorer
I'm running a 970 and up until oculus forced this crap on us I could play my games, now it stutters and my hands fly off. Why can't you just give us the choice of Vanilla dash or dash 2.0
15 REPLIES 15

falken76
Expert Consultant

nikgrid said:

I'm running a 970 and up until oculus forced this crap on us I could play my games, now it stutters and my hands fly off. Why can't you just give us the choice of Vanilla dash or dash 2.0

They'll have the same excuse Microsoft used when they were accused of anti trust with the inclusion of Internet Explorer in the windows build.  "Dash 2.0 has core components required for the operation of the Oculus Rift now"  The program has changed so to offer Vanilla Dash would break the system and no longer work (That of course is an excuse to NOT offer it, but that's what they'll claim for sure)

Anonymous
Not applicable
They had said to just lower your graphics settings. Be aware there is no need to use ODT/OTT as ingame SS is ok now and the extra programs take up resources including any Fan/OC software.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

falken76 said:

nikgrid said:

They'll have the same excuse Microsoft used when they were accused of anti trust with the inclusion of Internet Explorer in the windows build.  "Dash 2.0 has core components required for the operation of the Oculus Rift now"  The program has changed so to offer Vanilla Dash would break the system and no longer work (That of course is an excuse to NOT offer it, but that's what they'll claim for sure)

Maybe Oculus just felt like this dude in Fightclub...

https://youtu.be/JLUdbGm0a6E

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

iJudgement
Heroic Explorer
I've encountered no issues at all, but I'm using an AMD RX 580.

TaintFist
Heroic Explorer
I'm not so concerned with games running from the Oculus platform.  My concern is for games I buy on Steam, that I used to be able to run without launching Oculus.  As of today (cue the celebrations) I cannot.

RattyUK
Trustee
All of my Steam VR games opens the Oculus client - they wouldn't work with the Rift otherwise, would they?
Maybe it is because I only have current games though...   Also not had any performance issues at any time, regardless of which Oculus / Steam / Nvidia software I was using at the time, at least not yet 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

The only issue I've had with Steam games is the Steam VR update that was forced on me (I'm ok with updates by the way, just pointing this out).

Steam VR now implements its own global and game specific supersampling settings and the default is set depending on what it thinks your card is capable of (I'm sure you guys are aware of this). So for my card the global setting is 130% which is ok for most games but not for some... like Fallout 4. So I have to go in there and change the game specific setting to something like 78% while keeping the global at default, to bring it back to 1 (130% x 78% being 101.4).

So anyway, for anyone who isn't aware of this, check your settings... it could just be that Steam has thrown you a wobbly.

RattyUK
Trustee
@DaftnDirect  - The SteamVR client is (insert naughty word of your choice) if you don't notice that for some obscure reason it has decided that all of your VR games should run at 183% (on my rig), I manually set the video settings to 100% then edit each games resolution to suit - Fallout 4 has a tendancy to stutter somewhat at that default!  I think their formula is just a little optimistic - although ED was fine (mostly) at default.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Yeah I found exactly the same thing, wondered why Fallout 4 was suddenly stuttering in outdoor scenes. They should really have set the default at 100% and left it up to the users to increase it as they see fit.