cable might be broken — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

cable might be broken

LudZipLudZip Posts: 8
NerveGear
I put up a ticket but i haven't got a response yet so i figured that i could also put up a thread on the forums for any type of advice.
Here's what i wrote in the ticket:
"yesterday when i was playing a game the screen randomly started getting black and going back to normal. Then from out of nowhere the oculus didn't work at all. Turns out it's the cable, the cable is a bit twisted and it seems like when i twist the top (shown in the picture) the light goes to white instead of orange for a moment. That's all i know for now."

Now it seems like my cable doesn't work at all, even when i twist it nothing happens. In the oculus app it says that the headset is connected with no issues.
here's a picture of the oculus. I've also attached logs.

Comments

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Looks possible.  If Oculus won't replace it under warranty you can just buy a new one.

Of course, make sure you've tried reseating the cable at the HMD end.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,776 Valuable Player
    I'd order the cable, the fact that the computer still sees it connected is good.  There's a weak solder joint in there where that cable connects to the HMD and caused the dreaded HDMI disconnect problems that plagued 2016.  I would suspect it's the cable since that is not constantly disconnecting from the USB port as reported by windows.  Just be prepared to wait, my brother had to replace his cable, he ordered it, it was in stock and it took so long to arrive, he had forgotten about it by the time it finally showed up.  They should send this stuff to Amazon, they'll get you the product right away.
  • LudZipLudZip Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Thanks. Pretty odd that the cable can break that easily. I've wanted to get a braided cable cover or something like that but they ship from the US. I'll wait for a response in my ticket and if i don't get a replacement under warranty i'll just buy a new one.
    It's a part I expect to wear out over time like a moving part.  I can look at the cable and see where it twists and gets kinks, I'm surprised mine hasn't failed yet, I've had this HMD for a long time now.  I'll end up just buying an extra cable to have on hand in a parts box so when it does fail there will be no downtime  :)
  • LudZipLudZip Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Well, the thing is i've only had my oculus for like 4 months. That shouldn't be the amount of time needed for the cable to break
    No, certainly not, I have an RMA unit because that solder joint was physically damaged on my first one I bought, I waited until the 11th month to do a support ticket because I was too busy with work at the time.  They ended up just replacing it.  At 4 months, you should still be in warranty and they will probably just send you out a cable.  I've had this replacement for over a year and the cable on this one is starting to look pretty kinked up, there's no short yet but I can see it developing one eventually.