cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia Driver Not Rendering to Headset Issue

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you get a white light on Rift but no video feed on the Nvidia driver, please run the attached command file and zip up the folder and upload here. This will help us resolve the issue in a future update. After creating your log files, the issue can be resolved by running DDU in safe mode and clearing out both AMD and Nvidia drivers for your system (if you've used either on your machine).
  • Download Display Driver Uninstaller DDU: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
  • Extract the zip file to a new folder.
  • Run the exe file in that folder (i.e. "DDU v18.0.0.2.exe").
  • Open the new folder (i.e. "DDU v18.0.0.2") and run "Display Driver Uninstaller.exe".
  • Choose "Yes" to the Windows security pop-up.
  • Click "Options" then on the bottom under "Advanced Options" check "Enable safe mode dialog".
  • Click "Close" to the options screen.
  • Click the Windows "X" to close the DDU app.
  • Open the app again by double-clicking "Display Driver Uninstaller.exe".
  • For the "Launch options" drop-down, choose "Safe Mode (recommended)". 
  • Click "Reboot to Safe Mode" on the bottom.
  • NOTE: You must know your Windows password. PIN cannot be used in safe mode.
  • Once the computer boots back to Windows, enter your password and DDU will open automatically.
  • Choose GPU on the right then choose your GPU vendor (Nvidia or AMD).
  • If you've used a different GPU vendor on your machine, you'll have to do this process twice (once for each vendor).
  • Click "Clean and restart" on the upper left. After DDU completes, your computer will restart.
  • Once back at the Windows login screen, you can select PIN or other login options.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
122 REPLIES 122

LZoltowski
Champion
@cybereality should we make this sticky?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, good call.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
416.16 is ok for me. Although not had Home update to 1.31 yet.

uKER
Adventurer
I've had this "white light but no picture" countless times and it's always been solved by reinstalling the Rift's drivers.
Always super happy to do so, having to download all 5 GB of it every time on a 5 Mbps connection, and then all over again if you want to enter the public beta channel.
Mad props to Oculus' policy of no downloadable drivers once again. Very considerate.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
is this fixed now in the newer drivers? i think the above one is now 2 versions out of date (416.16 i think is the newest one)

btw if you want to get one without all the bloatware carp i will be using these when i install my new gpu

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I would try 398.82.  This has worked well for me and fixed quite a few others problems.  Sometimes, the latest greatest is not always best, lol!

BTW, not sure what you mean about avoiding bloatware by avoiding the official nvidia download site.  You download the components but you only install what you want to.  If I have done a DDU clean up I usually just install the video, hd audio, and physics driver components.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

bigmike20vt
Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

I would try 398.82.  This has worked well for me and fixed quite a few others problems.  Sometimes, the latest greatest is not always best, lol!

BTW, not sure what you mean about avoiding bloatware by avoiding the official nvidia download site.  You download the components but you only install what you want to.  If I have done a DDU clean up I usually just install the video, hd audio, and physics driver components.

the "clean" version of the drivers cuts a lot more out that the official installer does not let you.
of course you can do it yourself if you want by deleting all the excess baggage, but unless you know exactly which ones can go then getting the clean version is easier imo.

but that said to each their own.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Sorry but downloading and installing a so called clean version from an unofficial nvidia website seems a little risky to me.  Maybe just me.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

owenwp
Expert Protege
I don't know if this is the same issue, but I installed a new 2080ti today, and no matter what I try the Oculus devices screen always shows "No HDMI Connection" for the Rift and the LED stays amber. I have rolled back drivers (as far as I can, only the last 3 seem to support the 20 series), restarted Oculus, rebooted, tried different USB ports, etc. 

When I tried a displayport to hdmi adapter, it stopped showing the error and says that is is properly connected, but the light is still amber and there is nothing in the display.

I am on Windows 10 64 bit 1709, with an Intel i7-5930K.