New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Some Rift 2.0 Problems

OdinGFXOdinGFX Posts: 2
NerveGear
edited October 26 in General
As we all know, we have been forced to use the Rift 2.0 Core, but there are a few problems in particular for people with decent PC's or people who want a better experience. I will be ranking these from OK to Bad problems. (I will edit this post If I find more problems.)

1. Admin Trick Doesn't Work: If you haven't heard about it, with the Original Rift Core, if you set the Oculus app to "Run as Administrator", it would work on Steam games without opening up the app, which would help performance a lot, but now since we all use the Rift 2.0 Core, this trick will not work and will instead lead to a black screen in the Rift. Because of this I choose not to play VR until it is fixed.

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 475
    Trinity
    Up to you but I think it would be more useful to just include your comments in the 1.31 discussion thread that is already open;
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69768/rift-release-1-31-rolling-out-now-live#latest

Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,609 Valuable Player
    Looks like it's time to buy more ram.  I could use it for work anyway.
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 363
    Trinity
    edited October 11
    Hey there.

1. Wrong. Only the Dash component opens when you activate Dash. The other components are the server and the client ; Home doesn't run while running another app. It will load when switching from one game to another though, but if you run your games from the desktop app, you can avoid it.

2. That's true, although now we have an alternative ^^. You should use OpenComposite:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9i7s16/openovr_released_play_steamvr_games_without/

This allows a Rift user to play SteamVR games without running SteamVR at all. Basically you juste replace a dll file and then you can run any SteamVR game as a native Oculus game.
    (Although it currently doesn't run with all the games ; but SkyrimVR and VRChat work like a charm, and the dev also tried Payday 2 VR, VTOL VR, ... anyway, it's worth the try, if it does work with your games it's a great deal!).
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
  • OdinGFXOdinGFX Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited October 26
    Hey there.

1. Wrong. Only the Dash component opens when you activate Dash. The other components are the server and the client ; Home doesn't run while running another app. It will load when switching from one game to another though, but if you run your games from the desktop app, you can avoid it.

2. That's true, although now we have an alternative ^^. You should use OpenComposite:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9i7s16/openovr_released_play_steamvr_games_without/

This allows a Rift user to play SteamVR games without running SteamVR at all. Basically you juste replace a dll file and then you can run any SteamVR game as a native Oculus game.
    (Although it currently doesn't run with all the games ; but SkyrimVR and VRChat work like a charm, and the dev also tried Payday 2 VR, VTOL VR, ... anyway, it's worth the try, if it does work with your games it's a great deal!). 
    Thank you for this information, the OpenComposite application worked great! I will update my post to fit what you have shown me.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,116
    Wintermute
    Another thing to consider is setting the CPU affinity for the Oculus programs to be different from your game. That solved my problem with IL-2. 

Setting the Oculus programs to the last 4 cores worked for me.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,621
    Project 2501
    MowTin said:
    Another thing to consider is setting the CPU affinity for the Oculus programs to be different from your game. That solved my problem with IL-2. 

Setting the Oculus programs to the last 4 cores worked for me.
    Out of curiosity, what problem were you having with IL-2 that this resolved?
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |