New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Upgrade or Downgrade?

Meat_ManMeat_Man Posts: 117
Art3mis
Hello!
Alright, so I essentially would like to know if I should sell my Rift with the intention of purchasing the Oculus Quest.  I'm thinking about doing so because my PC setup is pretty bad, and this is not my personal PC so I am oftentimes limited to using it.  Firstly, my PC specs are as follows, i5-3470, 8gb ram, and GTX 970, with Windows 7.  Because Windows 7 does not support ASW, the GTX 970 is a bit shaky on some newer games.  Windows 7, in general, is losing its compatibility with the Rift anyway.  In addition to that, because this is not my personal PC, there's a whole bunch of junk from the other people who use it, making it run slow in general.  With this setup, I'm thinking I'd be much better off switching to the Quest.  Firstly, do my few Oculus games that I own shift over to the Quest?  Secondly, when where and how should I sell/trade in the Rift so I can get the best value out of it?

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,498 Valuable Player
    First off, why haven't you upgraded to Windows 10 - it's just as solid as 7 and 7, well, it's old.

Second - keep the Rift, you will probably upgrade that PC at some point and then no matter what the answers are to the game questions, you can then play them at full pelt on your upgraded PC.

Third - you won't get that much for the Rift second hand - pointless selling it on in my opinion.

Finally, buy the Quest, but keep the Rift.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,090 Power Poster
    Your games for the Rift won't work on the Quest, developers will need to port their Rift games to the Quest and any developers with any sense will have you needing to buy those games again. Porting these games will cost developers time and money.

I'd personally keep the Rift and look into building your own PC rather than sharing one. It's going to cost you a fair chunk of change but will be worth it. You can get or build a VR Ready PC with a current gen GPU for around 700 quid.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 189
    Art3mis
    Op you are aware that the Quest is not remotely as powerful as the Rift and the your games wont run on it unless a dev ports them and those ports will require a severe reduction in quality to run?
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 300
    Nexus 6
    Hey there,
    It's hard to answer given we know very few about the Quest ^^.

Regarding the games, it is known for a fact the the devs will have to port their games if they want them to be available on Quest. You should also bear in mind that the Quest will be less powerful than a Rift+PC, so in terms of power, getting a brand new PC for yourself might be the way to go, although it would be more expensive.

For the rest, all we can do is speculate:
    - I think we can be pretty sure the SteamVR games won't be available on Quest.
    - many people think the ported games will have to be bought again, due to the work required for the port. While it is a logical assumption, there is nothing sure about that, and it will probably depend on the devs. I would figure the devs supported by Oculus themselves (with the Oculus Start program) won't ask you to buy their games again. But then again, we can only speculate.

All that to say it's hard to tell if switching from the Rift to the Quest will be worth it. Being tethered to the PC does have a lot of advantages, and the Quest should be less powerful (hence the graphics will have a lesser quality). My personnal deal-breaker for the Quest is the storage space: 64GB is way too few.

With all that in mind, if you still want the Quest, I would suggest you buy it before selling the Rift, try it out a little, and decide which one you want to get rid of (if any). If that's possible for you, of course.
    In any case, it is way too soon to decide.
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300 HD @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"Friendship power is good, but laser beams are still more powerful."