New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

New Home is a waste of time for me.

Crosi_WesdoCrosi_Wesdo Posts: 22
Brain Burst
So, just putting my opinion out there. I didnt enrol into the beta program because i didnt like the added complexity of the advanced home environment or the transition delays between library and store, for example.

I for one have ZERO interest in customizing my VR home and simply want to launch my apps from it. Please allow a basic version for those of us who actually play games rather than just fettle ourselves in the menu.

Comments

• Crosi_WesdoCrosi_Wesdo Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited October 10
    I think the biggest issue for me is the new home is almost certainly a lot more resource hungry and will make it a lot more distracting when im trying to describe to someone something so simple as resetting the in app position. Its just a lot of indulgent fluff that replaced a pleasantly simple UI.

I find fluff at the cost of basic ease of function, very frustrating.

EDIT - In fact, ive just had a look and i have no idea where the reset in app position option is so as of right now im not sure how to reorient forward in my playspace. This is something i use quite a lot for small adjustments because it was easier than taking the headset off and moving the gym fan for a game of beatsaber. I could just move a foot to one side until the fan was hitting me good and click a button.
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 371
    Trinity
    edited October 11
    In fact, ive just had a look and i have no idea where the reset in app position option is so as of right now im not sure how to reorient forward in my playspace.

Once Dash is activated, that is on the top right corner of the belt. There are three little buttons, including one to readjust the view.
    Dash is far from complex. It doesn't take 180 IQ to use it, only a couple of minutes to discover it.

As for Home, as it was said, it can be avoided. Launch the app you want from the desktop app, you won't even get to see Home ^^.
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 501
    Neo
    edited October 11
    Once you have launched the app hit the Oculus button and a little window will open up with a reset app view.  

If if you get lost in your core 2 home just shut it down and when you startup you should be in the right place again.

If a +60yo old fart like me can work out core 2 from scratch I’m sure most will get there ok.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,613 Valuable Player
    I liked the simplicity of the classic home.  It was like google, it was simple without all this nonsense fluff.  The new one is like facebook, tons of nonsense everywhere.  But it doesn't seem to affect performance of any of the games so I don't mind it.  It has some cool features like being able to pull a video window out and put it in the cockpit of a DCS plane for when I get bored, now I can watch TV or videos while I fly if I get bored.

• CydaCyda Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    +1 on this. Please allow us to use the old home, or a less resource hungry version at least, the same as Steam does. They have Steam VR Home as default but you can choose to use the older SteamVR environments if you wish because they use less resources. Oculus really need to offer the same options. Not everyone wants to load/re-load a huge Home environment each time they enter VR or exit a game.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    Cyda said:
    +1 on this. Please allow us to use the old home, or a less resource hungry version at least, the same as Steam does. They have Steam VR Home as default but you can choose to use the older SteamVR environments if you wish because they use less resources. Oculus really need to offer the same options. Not everyone wants to load/re-load a huge Home environment each time they enter VR or exit a game.
    If you look in this thread, people have done research, and there is no performance (to within the margin of error) impact from running Core 2.0

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69768/rift-release-1-31-rolling-out-now-live#latest
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Brain Burst
    edited October 11
    You neglected to consider the performance impact on my eyes :smile: I dont want to see a complex environment at all. I just want a menu. I dont want to have to explain to a 12 year old child who loves beatsaber that he has to very carefully find a tiny icon on a jazzy console in order to do what he already knew how to do yesterday. That is all.

The CORE experience should be absolute simplicity, thats implied in the term. What we have now is an indulgent distraction. Dont get me wrong, im not massively against it, but sacrificing ease of use at the altar of bling really is tiresome.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,200 Poster of the Week
    You neglected to consider the performance impact on my eyes :smile: I dont want to see a complex environment at all. I just want a menu. I dont want to have to explain to a 12 year old child who loves beatsaber that he has to very carefully find a tiny icon on a jazzy console in order to do what he already knew how to do yesterday. That is all.
    Does clicking the game in the library on the desktop app not work anymore?
    Brain Burst
    edited October 11
    Launching games isnt my main issue, though i would rather a simple environment or even an abstract and simple menu. The main issue is that a feature i use relatively often has been hidden in the form of a tiny icon in a flash UI popup that IMO does not work as well as the old grey menu and no longer pauses the game you are playing afaik.

So to rephrase, im now not suggesting that anything is unavailable in the new 'CORE' experience. Im just asserting that using the new 'CORE' experience isnt as efficient or intuitive as it was before. I feel as though a 'CORE' experience should be as new user friendly as possible. As it stands, CORE 2.0 is less intuitive than it is indulgent.

IMO the focus of a base UI should be making it good, not making it look good.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,050 Valuable Player
    edited October 12
    I think Core 2.0, looks good and is easy to navigate. I'm sure Oculus would have more work to do if they had to cater for 2 versions of Oculus Home.. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,284 Power Poster
    edited October 11
    Launching games isnt my main issue, though i would rather a simple environment or even an abstract and simple menu.

Your Desktop is your simple menu. Use it instead. Your overall complaint is in the minority considering the vast number of people who once compared the previous Oculus Home to SteamVR. There were far more people complaining that SteamVR and its ability to completely customize their Home Surroundings showed how "out-dated" Oculus Home is in its previous state. And now that Oculus Home has taken what SteamVR did and advanced beyond it... people like you show up to complain about how you want simplicity.
    If you want simplicity, create Desktop shortcuts. End of story.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Brain Burst
    edited October 11
    Zenbane, Thats a pretty solid argumentum ad populum you have there.. Your argument fails to explain why a basic and functional UI is inferior to a bloated and distracting UI where basic functions are hidden or harder to utilise.

How do i create a desktop shortcut to reset in app position? Or do i have to explain to a 12 year old how to find a tiny icon in a ridiculous fluffy UI panel right under his chin?

Pretty sure it was easier before in both layout and perspective.
    edited October 11
    Your argument fails to explain why a basic and functional UI is inferior to a bloated and distracting UI where basic functions are hidden or harder to utilise.

Your argument fails to explain why having Advanced Options has somehow impacted you in a way where you believe that basic functions are hidden, harder to use, bloated, and distracting.
    I find the advanced options to be just as easy to use as basic options.

Crosi_Wesdo said:
    How do i create a desktop shortcut to reset in app position? Or do i have to explain to a 12 year old how to find a tiny icon in a ridicouls panel right under his chin?
    The ability to reset App Position is controlled by most Software Titles themselves. For the few that do not have that option, you simply click the Oculus Menu button on your Right Touch Controller, and a very simple window pops up that gives you that option. This is a function that can literally be accomplished in 2 clicks.
    It is actually taking you more effort to post in this thread than to solve these problems.
    Brain Burst
    Resetting in app view was easy to see and describe in the old CORE, and is now practically impossible to describe to a third party wearing the HMD in the new CORE software as a bystander outside of the HMD.

If you are the only person who ever uses your Rift, im sure its not an issue as it would not be for me. But when you put your HMD on anothers head and try to explain basic functionality, the new CORE UI, its more difficult.

Im detecting extreme levels of fanboyism in effect here.
    edited October 11
    Resetting in app view was easy to see and describe in the old CORE, and is now practically impossible to describe to a third party wearing the HMD in the new CORE software as a bystander outside of the HMD.
    I repeat:
    The ability to reset App Position is controlled by most Software Titles themselves. For the few that do not have that option, you simply click the Oculus Menu button on your Right Touch Controller, and a very simple window pops up that gives you that option. This is a function that can literally be accomplished in 2 clicks.

If you are the only person who ever uses your Rift, im sure its not an issue as it would not be for me. But when you put your HMD on anothers head and try to explain basic functionality, the new CORE UI, its more difficult.
    I have demo'd my Rift to many VR-newbies since 2016, I have a few threads buried in this forum about it. Whether I was using the old Home or the new Home, I have had zero trouble explaining to people what to do. Then again, most people that use my Rift have accomplished other complex tasks in the real world, such as: driving a motor vehicle, making a sandwich, using some sort of smart-device such as a phone or notebook. All of those tasks are vastly more complex than clicking the buttons on a Touch Controller to execute basic functions.
    Although I am curious... are any of the people you are referring to actually loading up a VR experience? Or did you just have them looking in a circle at the old Oculus Home without doing anything else? I'm curious as to how anyone who finds the new Oculus Home to be so overly complex would manage to enjoy experiences such as: Lucky's Tale, RoboRecall, Lone Echo, Virtual Desktop, The Unspoken, Dead & Buried, Chronos, or a plethora of other titles.
    How about you? Have you played any VR Shooters? Have you used Touch Controllers to attack a moving target? Because that is vastly more complex than anything happening in the new Oculus Home.

Im detecting extreme levels of fanboyism in effect here.

I'm detecting extreme levels of technical ineptitude.

Brain Burst
    edited October 11
    The fact that you count the current CORE app position reset as 2 clicks shows you cant even count. If you cant count why would you have any credibility in any other facet?

The fact that this function used to be far easier to identify and find seem lost to you, thats where i identify the fanboyism.

Dont get me wrong, i love the rift too. Ive been buying bleeding edge hardware for the last 20 years. But its an objective fact that CORE 2.0 is a step away from simplicity and a step towards pointless marketing.

Having these features is not a problem, having them as a 'CORE' is ridiculous.
    The fact that you count the current CORE app position reset as 2 clicks shows you cant even count. If you cant count why would you have any credibility in any other facet?

Let's count:
    1. Click the Oculus Home button to bring up the reset position menu.
    2. Click the option that reads, "reset position"
    That's it, task done. If you're counting the final click that sends them back to the VR App that is loaded, then you are reaching too far because your point is that you can't explain how to get them to that option. And it is only 2 clicks to get to that option. Zero complexity.

Also, I have zero interest in gaining credibility from someone who thinks 2 clicks is complex.

The fact that this functions used to be far easier to identify and find seem lost to you, thats where i identify the fanboyism.

nah, you just have no valid counter argument so you resort to namecalling. In fact, your complaining about how "impossible" it is to describe to someone how to reset their position indicates that you have a problem with memorizing and repeating an activity that you should be familiar with yourself.
    You also seem to be completely unaware of the Oculus Mirror tool that allows you to see, on your monitor, exactly what another Rift wearer sees even when their just in Oculus Home.
    The reason you're calling me a fanboy is because your knowledge is limited and it's easier to convince yourself that the issue is with me instead of coming to terms with your own limitations.
    Brain Burst
    The current reset app view functionality is a minimum of 3 clicks (not 2). The old functionality is 3 clicks. The difference is with the old functionality i could say press the flush button on the touch controller and click the arrow pointing up towards the right. Now i have to tell people to click the flush button, then the tiny icon in the new toolbar, no not that one, that one, no, yes, that one, now move the cursor to the reset view and click, then click again.

It doesnt matter the volume of demos you or i have participated in, what matters is that it was simpler before.

Again, im not saying anything is impossible, im just saying that complexity for the sake of visual candy, is pathetic.
    edited October 11
    The current reset app view functionality is a minimum of 3 clicks (not 2). The old functionality is 3 clicks. The difference is with the old functionality i could say press the flush button on the touch controller and click the arrow pointing up towards the right. Now i have to tell people to click the flush button, then the tiny icon in the new toolbar, no not that one, that one, no, yes, that one, now move the cursor to the reset view and click, then click again.

All wrong. You just have to say this:
    1. Click the Oculus Home button to bring up the reset position menu.
    2. Click the option that reads, "reset position"

It doesnt matter the volume of demos you or i have participated in, what matters is that it was simpler before.

And it is still simple now.

Again, im not saying anything is impossible, im just saying that complexity for the sake of visual candy, is pathetic.

When someone responds to "change" and exaggerates its impact... that can equally be viewed as "pathetic."

There is nothing complex about Oculus Home. Playing Lucky's Tale is harder.

Brain Burst
    Clock home button - 1 click
    Click reset position - 1 click
    Actuate reset view while looking at button - 1 click - rather than where you actually want to reorient forward view introducing extra variable.

You click reset view button and it resets, rather than letting you  move to your preferred position before pressing reset.

Its a bit of a shambles.
    edited October 11
    Clock home button - 1 click
    Click reset position - 1 click

Yes, see, it is only 2 clicks. Not difficult at all. Glad we can agree and move on.

You click reset view button and it resets, rather than letting you  move to your preferred position before pressing reset.

That makes no sense.

Brain Burst
    edited October 11
    you click reset to select the option, a further click is required to calibrate said reset. Thats 3 clicks.

The issue being the option is hidden in a tiny icon on a UI bar thats already way below your chin. While the old button was prominent and easy to see.
    edited October 11
    you click reset to select the option, a further click is required to calibrate said reset. Thats 3.

Nope, that's the part that functions exactly the same as the old version of Oculus Home. Your argument is that the new version made it more bloated and complex, when in fact... it can be accomplished in 2 clicks.

The issue being the option is hidden in a tiny icon on a UI bar thats already way below your chin. While the old button was prominent and easy to see.

Not true, it comes up in a single screen. And the UI bar is easily accessible.

Brain Burst
    edited October 11
    It cant be though, 1 click, access the menu. navigate to the tiny icon, scroll to the new reset button and click. Then click when facing desired direction. Thats 3 clicks.

Old system was one click to access the grey menu, 1 click to click the easily identified button to reset view, 1 click to confirm new direction. Thats 3 clicks.

The Difference is that the new UI requires more dexterity and pre-knowledge of the interface than the old UI.

Again, im not saying the new UI is impossible, im just saying its bloated.
    edited October 11
    Crosi_Wesdo said:
    The Difference is that the new UI requires more dexterity and pre-knowledge of the interface than the old UI.

Right, let's look at the dexterity required:

First, while in any VR Title, click the Oculus Home button on your Right Touch Controller:

This brings up the Reset View menu without needing to click anything else:

Point your controller at the Reset View button to proceed to... resetting your view lol

Lacing a shoe requires more dexterity than this.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 665
    Neo
    edited October 12
    I like the new home interface but I do think the basic home was easier for some people.

The biggest issue with the new UI is that flioating menu that appears below with the little buttons, when I point the cursor at the menu using Touch or click using my finger with Touch, either way, it seems a bit....janky, I don't know any other word to describe this?

Don't get me wrong, I like my VR home and spend time moving furniture around and shooting with the gun or using the bow. The visuals and the environment are nice . They should just make an option for a simple menu to appear in that environment when you press the Oculus Home button and then this would cater for everyone..

So people could go options/Oculus home menu/option 1 - floating menu - option 2 - simple 2D menu like before.

So this way we would keep the new home environment but a simple menu would be available within it.

I hope that makes sense.
    I like the new home interface but I do think the basic home was easier for some people.

And if this is true, I question what they were doing with their Rift in the first place. Just solving the first half of Lone Echo is 100 times more complex than Home 2.0.
    Brain Burst
    Frogger is an easier game to play than dark souls. But i wouldnt want to have to complete a game of frogger before windows would let me launch dark souls.

As far as i can tell, Zenbanes only argument is that he loves a complex and inefficient UI that kinda hovers just below your chin with some tiny icons that hide key functions, and that anyone that wants a simple and functional option are idiots who dont deserve VR. Classy.

Zenbane, did you ever stop and consider why you are arguing against a simple UI option? I prefer the idea of simplicity for ease of use and efficiency, and think it would be better for users first time experience to get to know the functions before they turn on jazzy UI and these functions become part of a weird floating chin bar.
    Frogger is an easier game to play than dark souls. But i wouldnt want to have to complete a game of frogger before windows would let me launch dark souls.

The level of complexity to launch a game in Oculus Home does not match your analogy. You are exaggerating an issue in order to feign a problem.

As far as i can tell, Zenbanes only argument is that he loves a complex and inefficient UI that kinda hovers just below your chin with some tiny icons that hide key functions, and that anyone that wants a simple and functional option are idiots who dont deserve VR. Classy.

You seem to be getting unnecessarily emotional. You already lied by claiming that the "reset position" function is overly complex, and I called you on the lie by posting screenshots of its true simplicity. Now in your follow-up reply you seem to be doing your best to avoid that topic altogether and you're now moving back to your original tactic of exaggerating the Home experience as a whole.

I never once called anyone an idiot. I provided factual, visual evidence depicting your lie. And instead of providing a valid counter-argument, you have gone from calling me a "fanboy" to lying yet again by claiming that I calling you an 'idiot.' Classy indeed.
    :D

Zenbane, did you ever stop and consider why you are arguing against a simple UI option?

Did you ever stop to consider that the moment I proved your wrong with factual visual evidence, that any of your attempts to spiral in to another topic would end the same?

If you want the simplest UI, then launch experiences from Oculus Home via your Desktop, before putting on your HMD. Create Shortcuts to your games. There are realistic solutions, but you seem only interesting in lying and exaggerating.