New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Oculus Issue after update regarding graphics driver

LemonchiladaLemonchilada Posts: 2
NerveGear
I was using vr just fine until Oculus forced me to close it and update. Now anytime I try to use the headset I am met with the error: Oculus has detected a problem with the installation of the drivers of your nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb graphics card.

I have tried reinstalling both oculus and my drivers, yet nothing works. I can also not find anything relating to my problem when I searched the internet

Comments

• TTT10TTTTTT10TTT Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue with the exact  same graphics card '-' 
  • younghwan.cho.7545younghwan.cho.7545 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    same proble with GTX1060 6g
  • sharaun.harrissharaun.harris Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I was using vr just fine until Oculus forced me to close it and update. Now anytime I try to use the headset I am met with the error: Oculus has detected a problem with the installation of the drivers of your nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb graphics card.

I have tried reinstalling both oculus and my drivers, yet nothing works. I can also not find anything relating to my problem when I searched the internet
    im having the same problem i tried most things and didnt work at all
  • phseptphsept Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here ! Same update, same graphic card, same message.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,613 Valuable Player
    What is causing this?  I have the GTX 1060 6gb and mine is working fine.  Now I'm afraid to upgrade drivers.  I'm on 391.35 and it still works in case you guys have upgraded and don't know what to revert back to.  Try going back to that driver to see if it works.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 914
    3Jane
    falken76 said:
    What is causing this?  I have the GTX 1060 6gb and mine is working fine.  Now I'm afraid to upgrade drivers.  I'm on 391.35 and it still works in case you guys have upgraded and don't know what to revert back to.  Try going back to that driver to see if it works.

Yup, that's my driver too - fun thing that we're using the same driver!

391.35 works perfectly in Doom VFR and FallOut 4 etc. Due to the risk of several childhood illnesses, I never use the latest drivers - I'm not a cupbearer or beta-tester  o:)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • MystaMagooMystaMagoo Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    Latest is 411.70 now
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Try using DDU safe mode uninstall and then install latest Nvidia.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • LemonchiladaLemonchilada Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited October 11
    I have tried uninstalling and clean reinstalling. I also wasn't on the latest nvidia driver when I updated. I am also not even getting a white light. It's just an orange light and an error on the oculus launcher and black in the headset.

My attempted fixes so far: upgrade graphics driver, uninstall and reinstall nvidia drivers clean, uninstall and reinstall oculus software, basic restart on computer. When I get home I'll try the deleting of the file.

To reiterate,  headset had a visible image and was working until it forced me to close it and update the software. Immediately upon updating of oculus and putting the headset back on it is just blackness

Edit: Because I wasn't on the latest driver of nvidia when this happened (although I am now) I would like to think this is a problem with the oculus update and not the drivers
  • sincityjsincityj Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Per the thread LZoltowski posted, I deleted C:\WINDOWS\System32\amd-vulkan64.json, and that resolved the issue for me, FYI.  I'm running GTX 1080 and was getting no white light and no display when putting on the headset with error message "Oculus has detected a problem with your graphics driver" on my PC monitor.  Oculus support has still not gotten back to me on the review of my log files, guess they are flooded with this issue.
    sincityj said:
    Per the thread LZoltowski posted, I deleted C:\WINDOWS\System32\amd-vulkan64.json, and that resolved the issue for me, FYI.  I'm running GTX 1080 and was getting no white light and no display when putting on the headset with error message "Oculus has detected a problem with your graphics driver" on my PC monitor.  Oculus support has still not gotten back to me on the review of my log files, guess they are flooded with this issue.
    I think because Oculus switched to Vulcan with home 2.0 a lot of people are getting this issue because Nvidia failed to clean up its installs properly, now that Rift is 2.0 this exposed the issue with the Vulcan driver. 

Glad you got this working.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• HaMiGavinHaMiGavin Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue, same card. My friend has the same card and no issue. What gives?
    HaMiGavin said:
    Same issue, same card. My friend has the same card and no issue. What gives?
    Have you ever had an AMD card in your system?

• sincityjsincityj Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    sincityj said:
    I think because Oculus switched to Vulcan with home 2.0 a lot of people are getting this issue because Nvidia failed to clean up its installs properly, now that Rift is 2.0 this exposed the issue with the Vulcan driver. 

Glad you got this working.
    Thanks, yeah I'm glad it is working now too, and I like the new home screen.
    I guess they messed up a decimal point somewhere...always the mundane details.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ChunkyToadsChunkyToads Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    SOLVED! (at least for myself):  I was receiving the red banner notice along with a full blackout inside the headset... tried the DDU tool and new drivers with no success. UNTIL I realized my WIN10 (64bit) build was not the latest, in spite of windows update indicated there were no further updates necessary.  You can check your build version using a tool like CPU-Z.

**I had to specifically download the latest build using Microsoft's downloadable windows updater (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10)**

After installing new build and verify it took,... then I tried the DDU tool again (in safe mode) and re-installed only the latest nvidia driver 416.34 (older ones did not work correctly).  I also made sure to select 'clean install' in the nvidia advanced settings, just in case.  WHAM BAM! Solved!!!  I just hadn't received full or ordered instructions from Oculus help person.... though in fairness they may have assumed most people should have their OS and all driver on latest versions (windows update itself simply made this unclear...and required direct download of build).