New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Sacralith now available in Oculus Store - reviews and opinions

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,145
Wintermute
edited October 2018 in Games and Apps
It's the one game I was considering buying on Steam, I'm glad I waited:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/1773742012637125/

Even RoadToVR liked the game and rated the game 87%

SUMMARY
'Sacralith: The Archer's Tale' marries expert-level visual polish with a clever and engaging bow shooting extravaganza to make what is clearly approaching AAA territory. The narrative, and characters within it, are also high on visual polish, and thanks to motion capture, are decidedly 'human enough' to be convincing. The level of difficulty is extremely high, making for multiple hours of bow shooting throughout the game's singular campaign. 
Gameplay: 9 | Immersion: 8.5 | Comfort: 8.5
Source: https://www.roadtovr.com/sacralith-vr-review/

- Find more reviews here:

https://vrgamecritic.com/game/sacralith-the-archers-tale

Average user rating on Steam is 9/10.
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,145
    Wintermute
    Awesome game, works great using super sampling 2.0.  - At first I was annoyed that you have to teleport, but I quickly realized it's the only way to play this game - free locomotion would be impossible with the current design. 

Now I have to rest my arm and shoulder, this game is really intensive. It's not at all similar to "In Death", because in Sacralith you'll truly experience what John F. Kennedy once said:

"Ich bin ein Legolas!"

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Wintermute
    Just wrote a review (Oculus Store) - so far there're just 4 reviews, all 5/5 - but why? Isn't this game one of the best VR games in a long time? Have every one already bought it on Steam? Have people just stopped buying games? Well. my review:

The best Legolas simulator ever!
    This game is simply awesome - feels totally like being Legolas in Lord of the Rings/Hobbit, even if you can't run ;-) The game works great using super sampling 2.0 on my oc'ed GTX 1080 + i7 7700K + 16GB 3200MHz. The game has no free locomotion, but teleport movement. At first I worried about this (normally I greatly dislike teleport movement), but this game would never work with full locomotion, because you need to instantly move to other locations. In some way this game reminds me of great old arcade machines mixed with some Assassin's Creed - and maybe mixed with some wave shooter elements. And it works just perfectly, the action is incredibly intense. The game is hard - you'll be shooting thousands of arrows at least as fast as Legolas, or you'll never survive. My shoulder was slightly sore this morning after playing last night, but it's worth it - and I'll do it again in a few minutes :-) Sound effects and speech are awesome too - textures could be better, but are quite nice, and you'll never notice texture quality when you're playing due to the fantastic action. Congrats to the devs for making a truly remarkable VR game! - And it's not at all like "In Death"; Sacralith is full speed ahead and extremely intense with hundreds of opponents in one level, while In Death mostly is much slower paced.

Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    I'm on holiday the next week - I've already enjoyed some nice sightseeing, and I just developed these first photos - enjoy  :D

Some of my friends got into trouble, unfortunately - happened several times like shown in the photos below  :s

Basically it goes like this:

- and for those who didn't take the time to sit down and listen ;)

Finally, some music - it's Saturday   <3  

BTW, I've found out that the more alcohol I drink, the less my shoulder hurts after shooting thousands of arrows  o:) - but unfortunately I've also found that my aiming skill profoundly decreases  the more I drink  :# - it's really hard to find the perfect balance! ;) (ok - that was a joke - cheers!)

• ZandilZandil Posts: 973
    3Jane
    I have this on steam but don't play it due to steamvr is so buggy atm.

Is the Dev giving out Home keys for those with it on Steam already by any chance ?
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 532
    Neo
    Zandil said:

Is the Dev giving out Home keys for those with it on Steam already by any chance ?

I have not seen any do this, even for cross oculus games like Endspace.  If the Steam version is a bit slow to run, just buy the Oculus Store version.  That's what I do.  It's not that expensive imho.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • TaintFistTaintFist Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    Zandil said:

I'd maybe ask on their webpage.  I first bought In Death on steam, then was able to transfer it to Oculus.  Worth a shot, if it doesn't say anything on their site maybe contact them and ask.

Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    TaintFist said:
    Zandil said:

I'd maybe ask on their webpage.  I first bought In Death on steam, then was able to transfer it to Oculus.  Worth a shot, if it doesn't say anything on their site maybe contact them and ask.

Sometimes devs are nice and will give you a key - it can't hurt to ask - contact the devs here like Taintfist suggested:

http://odd-meter.com/contact/

Also - due to Facebook restrictions, Oculus can't show ultra-violence, did anyone catch the fun difference between Oculus Store and Steam? - Here's some help  :D

Oculus:

Steam:

BTW, the recent update is included in the Oculus version - info (to avoid sore shoulders):

Update JULY 24 - 2018

28 JULY - LEOPOLD GNOSOV
    Changes:
    • Hip quiver is now convenient to use
    • Minor bug fixes
    So hip quiver is possible - does feel like constantly getting the wallet to pay for stuff :# :D

Problems with the game can be posted here (monitored by the devs):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/704360/discussions/

Wintermute
    Note that the game's on sale today - 15 % off (they always do that right after I paid the full price sigh ;-)

No spoilers, but the bridge is one of my favorite VR moments, and that says a lot  B)

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,127 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    @RuneSR2 - Why is this under experiences and not games on Oculus Store? So it's not a game as such just an experience, I'm  bit confused? Also, on Road to VR it says it was out in May 2018, so has it had an update since then, is that why you say you are glad you waited?

The dev said back in May, "New game mode is coming next month (single player multiplayer prototype:)" However, according to Steam there's only been a small fix in July, which was nothing to do with what he was saying would be added back in May? So are the things the dev said back in May still not in the game yet?

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,506 Volunteer Moderator
    The graphics look surprisingly good for an Indie! MIght give this a go.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - Why is this under experiences and not games on Oculus Store? So it's not a game as such just an experience, I'm  bit confused? Also, on Road to VR it says it was out in May 2018, so has it had an update since then, is that why you say you are glad you waited?

The dev said back in May, "New game mode is coming next month (single player multiplayer prototype:)" However, according to Steam there's only been a small fix in July, which was nothing to do with what he was saying would be added back in May? So are the things the dev said back in May still not in the game yet?

That must be an error - this is most surely a game, if there ever was one ;-) You shoot tons of enemies, you upgrade your arrows, and it's actually a rather intense game (but only referring to the action, due to teleport you won't feel any nausea). 

The game arrived on Steam in May 2018, but has just now arrived in the Oculus Store. I've never been fond of Steam, Steam is more a necessary evil to let me play Doom VFR and FallOut 4 ;) 

Currently there's only singleplayer - maybe more will comes soon (hint: when you all start to buy this utterly amazing game and provide the devs with funding to make multiplayer available ;) 

Hmmmm, my shoulder is fine this morning, although I did go through several quite intense battles last night - have I trained enough to become an expert marksman already?  :D 

BTW, teleport can be challenging - when a lot of things are happening and I need to teleport fast, a few times I did lose my orientation - I can't help thinking that controls like Doom VFR would be nice - thus free locomotion + teleport combined. 

Moss, Windlands 2 and Sacralith could be my current top 3 for best games 2018. 

Wintermute
    Of course I'm not bumping the thread - I'm just trying to see how it goes with the ratings  o:)

Because I'm on my Office PC I'll need to do the math. Let's see, currently there're 17 ratings:

88% = 15 users gave a rating of 5 = 75 points in total.
    6 % = 1 user gave a rating of 4 = 4 points in total.
    6 % = 1 user gave a rating of 3 = 3 points in total.

So that's 75 + 4 + 3 points = 82 points by 17 users = 4.82/5 average rating. And 4.82/5 equals (prolonged drum roll sound):

96 %

That's not bad, right? Still 17 users aren't a lot, we'll see how it goes... 

• BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 2,170
    Project 2501
    What's the bow shooting like, compared to In Death?

Wintermute

Brixmis said:
    What's the bow shooting like, compared to In Death?

It's much faster, loads of enemies, think Legolas in action - and close range - at least typically closer than In Death. Generally the action is much more intense compared to In Death.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,119
    Wintermute
    I think Skyrim VR is the best bow and arrow game. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,409 Power Poster
    MowTin said:
    I have both, and when it comes to Bow/Arrow simulation:
    In Death > SkyrimVR

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,506 Volunteer Moderator
    I need to give this game a go, looks quite pretty!

PS. Skyrim VR just got ambient occlusion and simple global illumination :)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/70428/skyrim-vr-now-supports-ambient-occlusion-and-simple-global-illumination-via-enb#latest
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • TaintFistTaintFist Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    MowTin said:
    I agree, but only after mods, and with realistic bow turned on.  Vanilla not so much, but when realistic bow is on, add in archery mod, also remove auto aim lines in the ini, Skyrim VR has incredible archery.  But really, you can make anything incredible with enough mods hehe.

• BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 2,170
    Project 2501
    I tried Skyrim for a day or two and wasn't impressed with the archery, after In Death, at least. So I'm not surprised it needs a mod or two to improve things.
    Have to think about this game - I'll watch some gameplay vids.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,119
    Wintermute
    Zenbane said:

In Death > SkyrimVR

You're almost certainly right. But I won't buy In Death because teleportation is an immersion killer for me. In Skyrim, I can move and shoot at the same time. Take cover, pop out and shoot etc. It's not realistic when you feel like your feet are planted in cement. 

But maybe the game is more fun that I think. 
    Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    MowTin said:

But I won't buy In Death because teleportation is an immersion killer for me. In Skyrim, I can move and shoot at the same time. Take cover, pop out and shoot etc. It's not realistic when you feel like your feet are planted in cement. 

There's free locomotion in In Death too, but also the possibility to shoot teleportation arrows. Sacralith has only teleportation, but do give the game a try - it's really awesome, and the game would be too difficult using free locomotion only (you wouldn't be able to climb a building to get on the roof fast enough etc). 

To me, shooting arrows in Sacralith feels much the same as In Death, although I think I'm shooting faster in Sacralith. 

Would be interesting to read a comparison of Skyrim VR, In Death and Sacralith - if someone out there has tried all 3 games (for now I don't feel I've have enough spare-time to invest in Skyrim VR, so I haven't bought it - did play the pancake version years ago) . 

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,491
    Project 2501
    MowTin said:
    Zenbane said:

In Death > SkyrimVR

You're almost certainly right. But I won't buy In Death because teleportation is an immersion killer for me. In Skyrim, I can move and shoot at the same time. Take cover, pop out and shoot etc. It's not realistic when you feel like your feet are planted in cement. 

Agreed.  There IS free locomotion in InDeath.  It is also an extremely fun and oddly SATISFYING game as well.  HIGHLY recommended.
    edited October 2018
    Just finished a few rounds of this game and I have to say... I'm very disappointed. I actually considered Refunding this game but decided to keep in just in case the Dev's perform an update that makes it worthwhile.

First of all, this game is very much similar to In Death. Some of the arrows are the same; such as the Scattershot Arrow. And even the Templar models are almost identical. In Death is superior in just about every way since it plays more like a Dungeon Crawler, whereas Sacralith plays more like a cross-between Tower Defense and Wave Shooter.

This game has quite a few flaws:
    • Collision issues (I've watched my arrows travel through an enemy)
    • Pathing issues (enemies walk along a line similar to Tower Defense games, but sometimes their path goes awkward)
    • General Bow inadequacies  (the Bow implementation is nowhere near as good as something like In Death or even SkyrimVR with the Realistic Bow Setting). Grabbing the quills from the back is very annoying since the "grab box" seem very specific and I often have to try 2-3 times in a row to grab a single arrow.
    • Bad VR Menu. In some areas (like the Practice area) the Menu system is literally stuck to your face in that annoying way where it moves everywhere you are looking and it's way too damn close to your eyes.
    • Node Teleportation. Since this is a Wave Shooter and Tower Defense combo, the worst thing to do is have to constantly teleport to specific nodes and then walk in a circle until you are facing the correct way. Some games do Node Teleportation very well (e.g. The Unspoken, Wilson's Heart), but Sacralith does it quite terribly.

If someone wants to experience what Sacralith has to offer, but for FREE, then try Deadly Hunter VR:

Even that 3-Star rating game has a better bow implementation and overall better combat mechanics.

I'm going to give this a few more tries before I shelve it until the next major update.
    edited October 2018
    Beat the game today. It does get more charming towards the end. I feel that the game is a bit short considering that the Player has a "skill tree" that never gets fully explored in one playthrough. My total playtime was 2 hours and that's considering that I had to redo 2 of the levels several times due to their difficulty.

The game definitely has an "early access" feel to it, but I will say that if the Dev's give it a bit more love and attention then it could turn in to something rather special. In its current form though, it's hard to recommend at a price point above $9.99.

I'll post screenshots of my 2 favorite moments soon.