New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

The forced change from old Oculus home feels invasive.

Aries144Aries144 Posts: 9
NerveGear
With any other application I wouldn't mind so much, but with the immersiveness of VR, it honestly feels as if someone has just bulldozed my home while I was sleeping and moved me into a cubical without asking my permission.

I know this may seem silly to some, but one of my primary uses for Oculus Rift was stress management. I actually found the original Oculus Home to be quite soothing and would often put on the headset to help with anxiety while speaking with a support group. I was a victim of several years of violence and still struggle with PTSD.

The new Home feels like I'm locked in a small cubical and can't be used the way the previous version was used. It actually stresses me out and has completely ruined something I'd come to depend on to help me cope with stress.

Is there any way to simply view the old Oculus Home 3d environments again?

Comments

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,399 Poster of the Week
    Currently, not that I know of, but this seems to be a common enough request that maybe Oculus will bring it back as an option?

In the meantime, I recommend giving the new Home a chance; You may find that designing / decorating your own personal, virtual user-environment however you like (and being able to move around freely in it) can be stress-relieving in and of itself!
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 910
    3Jane
    edited October 11
    Aries144 said:
    With any other application I wouldn't mind so much, but with the immersiveness of VR, it honestly feels as if someone has just bulldozed my home while I was sleeping and moved me into a cubical without asking my permission.

I know this may seem silly to some, but one of my primary uses for Oculus Rift was stress management. I actually found the original Oculus Home to be quite soothing and would often put on the headset to help with anxiety while speaking with a support group. I was a victim of several years of violence and still struggle with PTSD.

The new Home feels like I'm locked in a small cubical and can't be used the way the previous version was used. It actually stresses me out and has completely ruined something I'd come to depend on to help me cope with stress.

Is there any way to simply view the old Oculus Home 3d environments again?

I enjoyed to relax in Classic Home too - it was simply a great room, loved the sound of the crackling fire and the gentle running water - and I loved the simplicity. That room worked much better than Guided Meditation VR. Regarding relaxation I find Home 2 a true disaster - and I have spent more than 30 minutes staring at the ship and the waves (and the other environments are just terrible - did like the solar system to some degree, but the sun is too close and disturbing).

We are many users who - for various reasons - greatly disagree with Oculus' destruction of the Core 1.0 platform used and loved by many. One of the greatest mistakes is to think that most people share your own taste and preferences - because in fact, it may be the other way around. Oculus should provide compatibility and stability - user comfort above all - right now the massive amount of user complaints indicate that Oculus is doing massive damage to their platform and their user base, unfortunately. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,279 Power Poster
    edited October 11
    I don't see "massive" complaints. Maybe a dozen or so? lol
    Maybe Oculus will look at the few complaints and decide to support both versions. However, I can see why it makes sense to only support one single home interface. Having to maintain updates to both isn't worth the effort. People always complain, and eventually conform. The new Home is superior to old Home in every way; someone who actually owns a Rift should want the best platform experience that it has to offer.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ann.sugisaka.3ann.sugisaka.3 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    I don't see "massive" complaints. Maybe a dozen or so? lol
    Maybe Oculus will look at the few complaints and decide to support both versions. However, I can see why it makes sense to only support one single home interface. Having to maintain updates to both isn't worth the effort. People always complain, and eventually conform. The new Home is superior to old Home in every way; someone who actually owns a Rift should want the best platform experience that it has to offer.
    I'd have to disagree with what you said about it being better. Flashy doesn't mean better. The old menu was just as nice, quick and straight to the point. The new one on the other hand is pretty plain unless you go to the home which again for some is a waste of time, as well as clicking the store and going to a separate room, when it should just be a menu. If it isn't broken, don't try and fix it. As I stated in my own thread I made due to a major bug with the update that is causing pc's to crash, I stated that it was fine when it was a option, if someone wants a flashier vr experience then go for it, but as it is, it was fine the way it was. Its not any easier than the other menu and ultimately seems like a waste of time to me, and of course people will use it because we're being forced to use it, its not like we can downgrade or even stop the mandatory update which should always be a option since things tend to break, which is why when it comes to certain drivers people often don't upgrade for that very reason. 

Which is the same reason I am hesitant to even use my rift today as its been doing nothing but crashing my pc every time i bring up the little app window that says close or resume, just a honest nightmare. Of course minus those glitches its not that big of a deal, but if we're talking about wanting the best experience then yes, yes it is.
    3Jane
    edited October 11
    Of course it's easier to have just one Home, but Home 1.0 is so incredibly simple - it can't take much programming skills to copy new games and apps to the Home 1.0 Store - or just to update Home 1.0 to run on core 2.0... I'd greatly appreciate to have the option of maybe Standard Home (2.0) or Simple Home (like classic home). 

There are many more than a dozen complaints - check out this threat, and it keeps getting longer ;-)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69768/rift-release-1-31-rolling-out-now-live/p1

Each complaint may represent hundreds of users who don't post in this forum. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

I'd have to disagree with what you said about it being better. Flashy doesn't mean better.

I never said it was flashy, so you're not actually disagreeing with anything I said. Home 2 is much better because of the features it provides, which are too many to bother listing.
    RuneSR2 said:
    Of course it's easier to have just one Home, but Home 1.0 is so incredibly simple - it can't take much programming skills to copy new games and apps to the Home 1.0 Store - or just to update Home 1.0 to run on core 2.0... I'd greatly appreciate to have the option of maybe Standard Home (2.0) or Simple Home (like classic home). 

Sure it may not take that much programming skill to do that, but it can't take much general skill for consumers to eventually learn to use the new environment either.

There are many more than a dozen complaints - check out this threat, and it keeps getting longer ;-)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69768/rift-release-1-31-rolling-out-now-live/p1

Each complaint may represent hundreds of users who don't post in this forum.

If we take out your posts in that thread, the pages are cut in half lol. You have like 5 posts for every one complaint!

3Jane
    Zenbane said:

If we take out your posts in that thread, the pages are cut in half lol. You have like 5 posts for every one complaint!

You do have a point, lol, still 90% of the current posts in that threat aren't mine ;-) 

RuneSR2 said:
    You do have a point, lol, still 90% of the current posts in that threat aren't mine ;-) 
    And of the posts that aren't yours, not all of them are complaints.
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    And of the posts that aren't yours, not all of them are complaints.

Still, try to compare the number of positive posts with the amount of posts describing problems with 1.31. Eventually it's up to Oculus to decide - if it's only a dozen of complaints, I fully agree - then there's isn't a problem, we'll adapt and all is fine.  

RuneSR2 said:
    Still, try to compare the number of positive posts with the amount of posts describing problems with 1.31. Eventually it's up to Oculus to decide - if it's only a dozen of complaints, I fully agree - then there's isn't a problem, we'll adapt and all is fine.  

You are trying to pretend that there is some mass uprising, but there isn't. At least not yet. And I've seen much, much worse on this forum. The sheer volume of people who lashed out with "Oculus is gonna die" for most of 2016... all because the Rift launched with a Gamepad completely dwarfs that thread that you're so proud of.
    As does the time when Oculus Home "accidentally" locked out Vive owners. Hell, back when Oculus finally allowed people to buy extra sensors and started rolling out updates to support that... there was at least 2-3 months of chaos and madness with all the tracking issues.
    All these cute little posts about "omg where did my wrinkled carpet room go?!" complaints are pure Disney Channel in comparison to the major events in the past.
    Everything is going to turn out just fine!
    :)
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 370
    Trinity
    Guys, don't make this a "Core 1.0 vs Core 2.0" topic! There are enough already, lol.

To the OP: I get how you feel ^^. Home 1 was indeed a relaxing Home. Though I would (obviously) give a chance to the new one. As it was said, it can also be very soothing:
    - the new interface allows you to use your computer while in VR, so you can put any music that you want, while being in VR. I'm pretty sure it can help relaxing (though that will obviously depend on you ^^).
    - Changing the room (decoration and furniture) is also a common way to relax. I'd say: let your creativity out!

If that new Home really doesn't help you and you need the previous one, I think the Oculus Go uses the previous Home? Look :

Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,051 Valuable Player

Could this be partly due to how we perceive VR in general compared to pancake?

Because it's an interface that we're in, rather than just one that we use, it has a bigger effect when a change is made. Particularly when we like to control the changes around us in real life, it can seem more intrusive when other people make changes for us. Maybe the word Home also contributes, because home is something we think of as ours, not someone else's to change.

I'm not arguing for or against one version of the other, I definitely lean towards the control freak but I wouldn't want to give up the features of core 2.0 now. It's just interesting to read the comments and I can understand both sides.

I would like to shout out to the devs for working on the code that handles the launching of non-Oculus games, it used to be the case that I'd have to modify many of the .json files to get Steam and non-Steam, non-Oculus games to launch but this seems to have been improved lately, and games that didn't shut down (unless shut down from within Steam) now appear to cleanly shut down via the Oculus menu button.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • TrepidorTrepidor Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    +1