New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

New Oculus Update is crashing my pc/Not really liking the new update either

ann.sugisaka.3ann.sugisaka.3 Posts: 6
NerveGear
edited October 11 in Support
Yikes not sure what you guys did but it sucks big time! Usually happens when trying to go back to the app window or closing a app. My pc has crashed about 3 times now testing out the new update, not impressed at all. And on the note of the new update gotta say, not liking it, I prefer the old menu, a lot nicer, easier to use, it was nice having the beta menu there as a option but to just switch it and force people to update is kinda crappy. Again, the whole new look should have just stayed as an option.

And just before anyone asks, windows 7, gtx 1060, fully updated, i7 7700k. 

Guess no VR tonight, damn shame!

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,284 Power Poster
    You will likely need to update to Windows 10.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ann.sugisaka.3ann.sugisaka.3 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    That honestly seems like a lot of work and a waste of money for something that worked perfectly fine just a few days ago.
    Zenbane said:
    That honestly seems like a lot of work and a waste of money for something that worked perfectly fine just a few days ago.
    No, it is a sensible action to take just going by Microsoft's position on the matter:

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won't end until January 14, 2020.
    NerveGear
    Its not sensible at all for the subject im on. This isnt about microsoft, this is about Oculus and the bug thats crashing mine and others pc's lol, again, it was working fine before the update, im not gonna dish out cash and buy windows 10 just for that.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,059
    Wintermute
    If we can't convince you to switch (I didn't say "upgrade" even if I think it is) to Windows 10 be helpful to you and the community by opening a Support Ticket describing this problem, and by providing your logs files :)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Its not sensible at all for the subject im on.
    The subject you are on involves you choosing to use an out-dated operating system, where the creator of the operating system has already told everyone to upgrade. The subject you are on involves a situation where you are causing your own problems, and arguing against a practical way to take appropriate steps.

This isnt about microsoft, this is about Oculus and the bug thats crashing mine and others pc's lol, again, it was working fine before the update, im not gonna dish out cash and buy windows 10 just for that.

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is 100% free lmao

The reason many people are having these types of problems seems related to a lack of technical knowledge. Instead of taking to the Internet to complain as if you know what the core problems are, perhaps a better approach is to simply realize that you just need Tech Support. Create a support ticket and follow their instructions, which includes providing Log Files to assist you.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,613 Valuable Player
    Yikes not sure what you guys did but it sucks big time! Usually happens when trying to go back to the app window or closing a app. My pc has crashed about 3 times now testing out the new update, not impressed at all. And on the note of the new update gotta say, not liking it, I prefer the old menu, a lot nicer, easier to use, it was nice having the beta menu there as a option but to just switch it and force people to update is kinda crappy. Again, the whole new look should have just stayed as an option.

And just before anyone asks, windows 7, gtx 1060, fully updated, i7 7700k. 

Guess no VR tonight, damn shame!

Your OS is so old, you should upgrade it.  At some point Windows 7 won't even be supported anymore.  You have a modern day machine on an extremely outdated OS.  It was a great OS, but it's too old now.
    Its not sensible at all for the subject im on. This isnt about microsoft, this is about Oculus and the bug thats crashing mine and others pc's lol, again, it was working fine before the update, im not gonna dish out cash and buy windows 10 just for that.

At some point you have to accept the fact that when you refuse to upgrade to the later OS with all of the advanced features that it offers over Windows 7, the devs are constantly working on this software and improving on it.  There are features within windows 10 that are not available in windows 7.  These features may become required components of the operation of the software, it already happens and is why you find apps already that won't work if you are on windows 7.  By insisting that the devs not be able to move on past a no longer supported OS is to insist that they have their hands tied and NOT make use of any of the advances in newer OS that the majority of people are using. 

I.E.  You're lucky it runs at all, eventually you will probably find it won't even load without an upgrade to the recent OS that everyone else is using.  Windows 7 is 9 years old now, in tech years it's a dinosaur.
  • kenji.sugisakakenji.sugisaka Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Ok stop. Just stop. This is getting silly. Its not a windows 7 problem. This is not about Windows 7. This is about a Oculus bug that has nothing to do with window 7. So again, stop. I am not causing my own problems, like i said everything was working fine before the update hence NOT MY FAULT. I am starting to see a certain theme with this forum which is why I never really bothered to register until now(being almost forced to due to the god awful update). But my mistake, I forgot that when there is a problem, its better to blame the person, rather than to realize that OOPS the company made a mistake. But everyone on here seems to like to argue incuding Zebane, so again, thank you so much for your shitty help and trying to get me to for some weird reason dish out cash to get windows 10 which is not free. Thank you, you people are saints. 
  • robinsh56robinsh56 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    On windows 10 there is no problem
    edited October 12
    Ok stop. Just stop. This is getting silly. Its not a windows 7 problem. This is not about Windows 7.

There is a history of Windows 7 users having problems that Windows 10 users don't have. Ignoring the fact that you are using the wrong OS isn't going to help your situation.

Oculus has made Windows 10 the minimum requirement:

So stop. Just stop. Make sure you meet all minimum requirements before proceeding any further.
    :p

trying to get me to for some weird reason dish out cash to get windows 10 which is not free

Windows 10 as a stand-alone purchase is obviously not free. But upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is in fact free.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 12
    I would like to add that Windows 7 is in its final stage of not being supported by Microsoft, it is no longer in active development, meaning no new updates on technology, directx, or any new improvements (since 2015) and will only get security patches until Jan 2020. So about a year and 2 months left until it is abandoned completely. It is almost a 10-year-old OS. Running windows 7 past that stage would be unwise and pose a security threat to your files and data.

Also, Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10 for a year. Hope this helps.

I personally think that expecting a future forward and futuristic technology as VR to work on an almost 10-year-old OS that is no longer supported by Microsoft a little bit unfair.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    NerveGear
    Well windows 10 was a disaster and didn't really fix anything and just made steam vr on top of oculus even worse. So..thanks guys :dizzy:
    Luckly im back with windows 7, so hopefully now that we got past that, Oculus can focus on fixing this mess. 
    edited October 13
    Well windows 10 was a disaster and didn't really fix anything and just made steam vr on top of oculus even worse. So..thanks guys
    Luckly im back with windows 7, so hopefully now that we got past that, Oculus can focus on fixing this mess. 
    Did you really install and try Windows 10? And how did you go back to Windows 7, exactly?
    Aside from that, in your original problem you specifically said that your "pc crashed" multiple times. So if you installed Windows 10 and the biggest problem you faced was SteamVR, then that is considered: Progress. You stopped your PC from crashing by going Windows 10, but then went back to Windows 7 because SteamVR was acting strange? That's called, throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    So what mess are you trying to fix? If you want to keep your PC from crashing with OVR, use Windows 10. If you are talking about SteamVR compatibility... well, Steam is owned and maintained by Valve, not Facebook nor Oculus.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 914
    3Jane
    Well windows 10 was a disaster and didn't really fix anything and just made steam vr on top of oculus even worse. So..thanks guys :dizzy:

Unfortunately Win10 - depending on your hardware configurations may not be a success for everyone. You could try to contact Oculus support to inform them of your issues (if you haven't already done so):

https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    Ok stop. Just stop. This is getting silly. Its not a windows 7 problem. This is not about Windows 7. This is about a Oculus bug that has nothing to do with window 7. So again, stop. I am not causing my own problems, like i said everything was working fine before the update hence NOT MY FAULT. I am starting to see a certain theme with this forum which is why I never really bothered to register until now(being almost forced to due to the god awful update). But my mistake, I forgot that when there is a problem, its better to blame the person, rather than to realize that OOPS the company made a mistake. But everyone on here seems to like to argue incuding Zebane, so again, thank you so much for your shitty help and trying to get me to for some weird reason dish out cash to get windows 10 which is not free. Thank you, you people are saints. 

I'm serious when I said this:
    "eventually you will probably find it won't even load without an upgrade to the recent OS that everyone else is using.  Windows 7 is 9 years old now, in tech years it's a dinosaur."

It's constantly updated, you may find one day it doesn't work at all because you're using an operating system that is no longer supported.

I personally think that expecting a future forward and futuristic technology as VR to work on an almost 10-year-old OS that is no longer supported by Microsoft a little bit unfair.
    Not only in VR, but in any field where software is concerned.

edited October 14
    They probably won't even bother since they no longer support Windows 7.

Just so we're clear.  You didn't have windows 10 on October 12th, you got it on the 13th, installed it, claim it gave you too many problems and now you've reverted back to windows 7 by the 14th?  Either you didn't really install it, or you were in a bad mood in the first place with the mindset "There's no convincing me this is better, lets see how bad this is".  Either way, it's more than apparent that if you actually did install the OS and already reverted back, you had no inclination to upgrade in the first place.  I.E.  I'm sure you're lying about installing the new OS just to say "See I told ya so"

If I'm wrong I apologize and suggest you RE-install windows 10 and give it more than less than 1 single day to learn your way around it.

NerveGear
    falken76 said:
    They probably won't even bother since they no longer support Windows 7.

Just so we're clear.  You didn't have windows 10 on October 12th, you got it on the 13th, installed it, claim it gave you too many problems and now you've reverted back to windows 7 by the 14th?  Either you didn't really install it, or you were in a bad mood in the first place with the mindset "There's no convincing me this is better, lets see how bad this is".  Either way, it's more than apparent that if you actually did install the OS and already reverted back, you had no inclination to upgrade in the first place.  I.E.  I'm sure you're lying about installing the new OS just to say "See I told ya so"

If I'm wrong I apologize and suggest you RE-install windows 10 and give it more than less than 1 single day to learn your way around it.

Not lying. And No, will not reinstall it, if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Performance sucked with Windows 10. Simple. Not only that but all the bugs I mentioned still existed. Windows 7 works a hell of a lot better for me and my games run a hell of a lot better with it. 
    No idea what people are on about honestly. Not to mention Windows 10 being super shady, but thats a topic for another time. 

Do what works for you and I'll do what works for me. Again, Oculus worked perfectly a week ago, others have reported issues with this update too. So instead of "Oh its windows 7! Shame on you!" Just chill out. This is less of a support forum and more of a witch hunt honestly. I've checked out countless topics and I see the same thing. 

Anyways, again Hopefully they fix all the bugs.