New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Galak-Z

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 910
3Jane
edited October 12 in Games and Apps
It does look like fun - maybe - has anyone tried the game?

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1421550817913990/

There's a non-VR version released years ago, but it did get many nice ratings - about 80% average on the PS4 and PC. 

The new VR trailer seems based on the 2015 trailer, although the gameplay sequences aren't identical:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)

Comments

• DoctoriDoctori Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Game is great! I love it. I played on ps4 but not that much, I am so into this VR version. I finally passed season 1 today. If you play on normal, you must pass entire season without dying to unlock next season. 5 missions per season. I did notice season 2 was stuttering really bad, really bad. I have a powerhouse, play everything, never any issues. I thought I seen someone mention stuttering issues before, but can't remember. I'm going to try again after a reboot, disable tool tray / SS, and try again. I'll let everyone know if anyone is interested, reply. Its a great game though all !!!!
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 910
    3Jane
    edited October 21
    Doctori said:
    Game is great! I love it. I played on ps4 but not that much, I am so into this VR version. I finally passed season 1 today. If you play on normal, you must pass entire season without dying to unlock next season. 5 missions per season. I did notice season 2 was stuttering really bad, really bad. I have a powerhouse, play everything, never any issues. I thought I seen someone mention stuttering issues before, but can't remember. I'm going to try again after a reboot, disable tool tray / SS, and try again. I'll let everyone know if anyone is interested, reply. Its a great game though all !!!!

Agreed, it looks like a great game (and ship animations are nice), but to me the stuttering was way too severe, I chose to refund. Especially when paying $20 such simple arcade games must be completely smooth (even lowering SS to 1.5 there was stuttering - had this been Lone Echo I'd get solid 90 fps using ss 1.5 in comparison). This is only v. 0.20, guess the devs have a lot of optimization to do. I'm not playing this game in super-blurry ss 1.0 (in case that removes all stuttering) - then I'd rather not play the game at all. Also there's isn't much VR to this game - if feels much like playing the old 2D version using Big Screen. 

Note that the specs for the old pancake version is really low:
      MINIMUM:
      • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (2.6 GHz) / AMD Athlon 64 X2 (2.6 GHz)
      • Memory: 3 GB RAM
      • Graphics: Radeon HD 2900 XT (512 MB) / GeForce GT 430 (1024 MB)
      • DirectX: Version 9.0c
      • Storage: 3 GB available space
      • Additional Notes: Gamepad, Mouse and Keyboard Support

In VR the recommended video card is a GTX 980 Ti - seems way too high for this sort of game. 

In comparison Anshar Wars 2 is solid 90 fps using super sampling 2.0 on my system - everything maxed:

More about Galak-Z here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/suit-up-in-the-anime-inspired-shooter-galak-z-the-virtual-now-available-on-rift/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

NerveGear
    Rune! There is 0 stuttering when just playing standard, no SS. I really think you are missing out on this incredible game because of the SS issues. You are right, its a different kind of VR. It's like playing on a 200 foot huge omnimax type screen, everything is huge and very crisp, even at default SS. Anyway, just wanted to let you know and give you my thoughts is all. Everyone, just use default SS and no stuttering at all, and this is really a cool game. For me to stick with a game says alot for sure :blush:
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,279 Power Poster
    edited October 22
    RuneSR2 said:
    Agreed, it looks like a great game (and ship animations are nice), but to me the stuttering was way too severe, I chose to refund. Especially when paying $20 such simple arcade games must be completely smooth (even lowering SS to 1.5 there was stuttering - had this been Lone Echo I'd get solid 90 fps using ss 1.5 in comparison). T

I think you put way too much emphasis on SS. You tend to rate a game very low even if it is a great game, just because you don't approve of SS performance. And then you will rate a bad game highly just because it has SS support that you enjoy; as you did with Sacralith.

A game's enjoyment factor has so much more to it than just Super Sampling.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    NerveGear
    Agree Zenbane. That is why I replied, I would hate for Rune to miss out on this game for some SS values :) I know alot of us have our things we look for in a game, but this game is really good and I don't even see a difference in upping the SS, looks great as is !
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,279 Power Poster
    Sure, there's nothing wrong with having a preference such as SS. However, that preference should only encompass a portion of an overall sentiment. SS can account for 1 Point on a 10-Point scale. Not 5 Points or All Points lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 442
    Trinity
    edited October 22
    Yea, I'm a graphics snob but it's only a portion of a game experience for me. Been a lot of games I've enjoyed that I thought looked like crap lol. (I own a PSVR after all). With the screendoor nothing is sharp or crisp enough anyway. That all said, SS definitely does increase the enjoyment a bit for me and is why I'm ready for an upgrade already. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 910
    3Jane
    I rated the game 3/5, which I do consider a fair rating. My concerns with the game are:

1. Feels like a 2D game shown on Big Screen - doesn't really feel like a VR game. Borders break immersion. 
    2. Gameplay was nice but I don't consider it revolutionary within the genre. 
    3. I felt the game was slightly overpriced with $20. 
    4. The game felt poorly optimized. 

I have a great backlog of games I'd easily rate 5/5, so I tend not to keep games I rate 3/5 or worse, unfortunately. And of course taste differs - do support the devs, I'm sure they need it! For now I'd rather spend my time on a game like Xion:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/70522/xion-awesome-and-original-retro-shooter/p1