Home 1 or Home 2 or Both ? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Home 1 or Home 2 or Both ?

DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,722 Valuable Player
edited October 2018 in General

OK then, as per the title, I'm surprised this poll hasn't been created already really... rather then half a dozen threads being created about the exact same subject! anyway rather than have a little rant about creating a thread rather then adding a comment to an existing tread, I thought a poll would yield more meaningful insights :)

Soooooo…….

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)

Home 1 or Home 2 or Both ? 43 votes

Stick with Home 1 only. It's simpler, easier to use and I never want more than that. Everyone should use Home 1 too so that Oculus don't waste resources on two parallel development streams.
18%
Folo88aerodyneMAC_MAN86inceptionalpyroth309gary.antelWunderboy742K 8 votes
Stick with Home 2 only. Core 2 features are more useful, it doesn’t impact on performance and isn’t more complicated to use. Everyone should use Home 2 so that Oculus don’t waste resources on two parallel development streams.
39%
RedRizlaDaftnDirectphoenixdigitalYoLolo69snowdogTechy111kzintziLZoltowskiNeokinZenbanekavangedburneOrodreth16Muskoka1ElusiveMarlinKlodsBrikTomCgcmfc 17 votes
Have both Home 1 and Home 2, everyone should have a choice regardless of development resource requirements.
30%
msm903korgen63LuluViBritanniaCrashFumagarzutDrMorrozissakosMarc-GDigikid1NorbertNordwandRuneSR2IcicleTrepanTaintFist 13 votes
Introduce Home 3. Because there aren’t enough threads being created to discuss Homes 1 vs Home 2.
11%
cyberealitykojacklogotomieelbofforMorgrum 5 votes

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,722 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Stick with Home 2 only. Core 2 features are more useful, it doesn’t impact on performance and isn’t more complicated to use. Everyone should use Home 2 so that Oculus don’t waste resources on two parallel development streams.
     I knew you'd do that, Cyber :|
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,889 Valuable Player
    I have a Rift and GO. I can say for certain that Oculus GO has the original Oculus Home in it. So if someone is really truly needing that Home 1.0 experience, then grab a GO!

FIN.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,540 Valuable Player
    Introduce Home 3. Because there aren’t enough threads being created to discuss Homes 1 vs Home 2.
    Seems I am in good company lol.
    WAAAGH!
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    Have both Home 1 and Home 2, everyone should have a choice regardless of development resource requirements.
    I strongly believe in letting your customers have a choice regardless. 
    I do agree that customers should have a choice, however, that does not mean that customers should dictate what the choices should be. The company makes that decision.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,036
    Wintermute
    Digikid1 said:
    Ha-Ha, many customers (esp. the vocal minority) don't know jack all, just enough to be dangerous imho.  Screw political correctness and democracy.  Just give me an intelligent and benevolent Dictatorship anytime, lol!

Just kidding guys (well at least for the most part).  There are lots of bigger fishes in this big old world to fry.

Oh, by the way, I chose to keep Core 2, period.  Mainly because I don't think it makes any sense to try to progress anything from 2x forks in the road at the same time.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Digikid1 said:
    Ha-Ha, many customers (esp. the vocal minority) don't know jack all, just enough to be dangerous imho.  Screw political correctness and democracy.  Just give me an intelligent and benevolent Dictatorship anytime, lol!

Just kidding guys (well at least for the most part).  There are lots of bigger fishes in this big old world to fry.

Oh, by the way, I chose to keep Core 2, period.  Mainly because I don't think it makes any sense to try to progress anything from 2x forks in the road at the same time.
    Precisely. The general populace should never dictate the actual choice(s). Or to put it another way: the lunatics should not be running the asylum.
    But I do respect that you believe in the rights of the consumer @Digikid1 !
    <3
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,235 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm already planning my own Home.
    Home 1 was pointless.
    Home 2 teases user customisation but actually disappoints because of how uncustomisable it really is. The room is fixed, you can just add objects and change some textures. Why are there no other room types? Those support beams and the uneven floor are annoying. There should at least be a large empty cube room so we can import meshes to make things look the way we want without fixed geometry getting in the way.

My Home is probably going to be the cockpit of a Python. I think tonight I might start on some Elite Dangerous file reverse engineering.
    Actually an Anaconda bridge might be better, more room.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,722 Valuable Player

Is user choice defined as individual choice... or majority choice?

Democracy survives based on the former expressed through the latter.

I really like the idea of being able to create your own Home though @kojack, not just objects to go in it, maybe that'll be a feature for a future update??

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,812 Volunteer Moderator
    I like what I see, works ok and that's enough for me at the mo
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 460
    Trinity
    edited October 2018
    Always leave the choice.
    Now to be clear, I'm talking about the choice of Home. Keep the new Core, keep Dash, but leave the choice of the default application. I think SteamVR does that. You can launch any app that you want as the default app, so if you had several Home apps, you could choose which one you want. Maybe Oculus should include that option? It wouldn't need a major change in the Core, just a small new feature to choose what is launched when putting the headset on.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    Always leave the choice.

You can't always leave the choice because you then have to actively support all the choices. That costs time, money, and other resources. People are not just asking that for an Application in this request, they are asking that Oculus actively support that application every month, year after year.
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 212
    Nexus 6
    I choose option (if there were): Keep Core 2.0 same time user has native option to choose, whether he/she wants anything loaded automagically when HMD is put on head, while still, the always in background Core 2.0 let's the screens to be lit up with any supported format application. As for Home 1 or 2, it's all the same for me if i can choose when i want to visit them or not. 
    i5-8600K@5GHz, Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz@3100MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash in memoriam
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 460
    Trinity
    @Zenbane: Most other softwares do leave the choice. There is no reason for Oculus not being able to do so. And no, it wouldn't cost them anything to leave the previous Core, given that they had already done the work for it.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    edited October 2018
    @Zenbane: Most other softwares do leave the choice. There is no reason for Oculus not being able to do so. And no, it wouldn't cost them anything to leave the previous Core, given that they had already done the work for it.

I disagree. Most Software Platforms deprecate older versions over time. The Windows and Mac OS are prime examples. Oculus allowed Home 1.0 to exist for some time before phasing it out. If Oculus decides to support both 1.0 and 2.0 then it is possible "if" they decide to commit resources to that effort. Since this is a Platform, not just an Application, Oculus would need to make sure that each 2.0 update doesn't negatively impact the 1.0 users. In order to make that assurance, they would need to go through test cases with each 2.0 update, which requires resources.
    In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to do this since users do in fact have a choice today: use the companion Desktop App.
    If someone doesn't like 2.0 then don't put the Rift on until the desired experience has been launched via the Desktop. That's your choice today, and it seems a valid choice.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,592 Valuable Player

We don't know if that's technically possible or not though. Something must have changed between 1.30 and 1.31 otherwise they would have left that option there I would have thought.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,337 Valuable Player
    Always leave the choice.
    Now to be clear, I'm talking about the choice of Home. Keep the new Core, keep Dash, but leave the choice of the default application. I think SteamVR does that. You can launch any app that you want as the default app, so if you had several Home apps, you could choose which one you want. Maybe Oculus should include that option? It wouldn't need a major change in the Core, just a small new feature to choose what is launched when putting the headset on.

Exactly - I'm sure Oculus has the statistics concerning how many use Home 1.0 vs. 2.0, could be interesting to know, but we probably never will ;-)
    Still - right now with only 23 votes - 38 % of the voters want a solution including classic Home, while 47 % want the current solution (only Home 2.0).  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,454
    Project 2501
    edited October 2018
    Stick with Home 1 only. It's simpler, easier to use and I never want more than that. Everyone should use Home 1 too so that Oculus don't waste resources on two parallel development streams.
    I vote for home 1 until they fix the performance hit of 2. It's affecting every game I play. It's better than the beta but I'm getting stutters I never got in 1 and had to lower super sampling settings that I've had since day 1 which really really sucks. I want performance increases not decreases.
  • phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 165
    Art3mis
    Stick with Home 2.0 only but do one of the following

1. Resolve the performance issues a number of users are reporting (works fine for me)
    2. Give users an option for the performance impacting features of Dash and Core 2.0 to be disabled.
    CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
    edited October 2018
    RuneSR2 said:

Still - right now with only 23 votes - 38 % of the voters want a solution including classic Home, while 47 % want the current solution (only Home 2.0).  
    Yep. And 38 is such a maasssiiivvee number
    ;)

I predict that we are about 3 days away from all of this becoming a non-factor. Heck, the community is already moving on to complaining about more Avatar options in 2.0 lol
    edited October 2018
    Zenbane said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Yep. And 38 is such a maasssiiivvee number
    ;)

I predict that we are about 3 days away from all of this becoming a non-factor. Heck, the community is already moving on to complaining about more Avatar options in 2.0 lol

No one reads this forum - and we're up to 27 votes now. 40 % (wanting a solution including classic Home 1.0) vs. 48 % (wanting only Home 2.0). And it seems we're many with high-end systems in here, I wonder if that represents the average Rift user, at least it doesn't at all represent the average Steam user. 

We'll probably need 500+ votes to get nice statistics...

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

RuneSR2 said:
    No one reads this forum - and we're up to 27 votes now. 40 %

But people read reddit, and we already counted those reddit threads which are equally low. I do like your excuses commitment tho
    :p

40%? That's almost half of massive! woohoo!
    Also, if anyone wants to see the current activity going on with the Oculus Rift Facebook Group, you can check it out here:

Business as usual. Someone live streamed Lone Echo today, another person is currently streaming the movie 300 on Big Screens; people are asking advice about new games and sharing these types of experiences (all in the last 48 hours):

Just saying. Evasion Is awesome!!! Had to stop playing last night cuz I’m out of shape lol. Can’t wait to get back into it today!! Well worth the cost. Think I need some computer upgrades though. Or turn down the graphics a bit.

That's only about 2K members though. If you wanna see the present day activity of the 25K Oculus Rift Group, you'll find much of the same:

People sharing stories and photos of their families enjoying OVR and the latest Home update, and developers showcasing their work. I count only 1 person in the last 24 hours who asked how to disable Home 2.0

I'm only sharing this to remind readers that this forum tends to be used for heavy Tech Support during major updates; but the complaints rarely tend to represent the the global Rift community.
    :)
    edited October 2018
    Now it's 46 % for a solution using classic Home and 43 % for "Home 2.0 only" solution  :o

This is getting fun to watch, I better get some popcorn and cold beers!  :D

BTW, remember to vote here too:

https://rift.uservoice.com/forums/907748-home/suggestions/35652787-give-us-an-option-to-go-back-to-home-1-0-classic

• TaintFistTaintFist Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    I vote for both, but with a caveat.  I would not expect Oculus to maintain both moving forward.  Since there are a few people that do use the Rift outside Oculus, that are having various issues doing that, I do not see why 1.0 could not be available for use, at least until the final bugs are ironed out in 2.0.  There is no reason not to be able to use 1.0 at least in the short term, there won't be any reason to maintain it parallel to 2.0, because once 2.0 is fixed up and all the little issues are straitened away, there won't be any need for anyone to have 1.0.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,540 Valuable Player

Rune honestly those petitions are about as good as the one on the White House forums that wanted Obama to build a Death Star.

They either make people feel good or let folks have a good laugh but they honestly do not accomplish anything.

WAAAGH!
    Morgrum said:

Rune honestly those petitions are about as good as the one on the White House forums that wanted Obama to build a Death Star.

They either make people feel good or let folks have a good laugh but they honestly do not accomplish anything.

It's not my petitions - I made none of them ;-) Of course you could be right, I guess it just shows that some/several users would like a more simple Home than the current. Maybe a simple solution like the ability to start in Store 2.0 instead of Home 2.0 could solve a lot. Store 2.0 is quite similar to classic Home in simplicity and design. 

• PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    How about a low res asset set for home 2.0 and maybe the option to disable the light box?